Garmin Approach Z82 Range Finder

I’m a longtime Garmin guy through golf and cycling.... my lovely wife made a great mistake buying me a g80 for Birthday last year but I already owned the z80 and older watch ... she knows I LOVE golf and her friend suggested the gift... that said all their products are great... But just ORDERED z82!!! and sold my z80 mins ago to a buddy who uses the FORCE to get yardage....and because this has IT ALL. .. GARMIN IF YOU ARE LISTENING... the only thing really missing are the TEIR levels on a green we’ve never played

350 yds and out it doesn’t measure... that’s why the figure was off.... unless you’re a long drive champ don’t really see anyone worrying about a few feet for that shot... I’ve paced out shots 150 yards and in since that’s where I’m much more accurate in the irons....and think it’s pretty spot on.... that was with the z80

Not concerned about accuracy from 350 yards. I was concerned about the discrepancy I repeatedly observed between the lasered pin yardages and the gps-based green yardages. eg. the pin appearing off the gps front of the green, or a middle pin being represented as at the front of the green. I would trust the laser yardages but the gps numbers need to be accurate to present the overall scenario that the Z80/82 aims to portray. They got it wrong in the early Z80 at the very least but I hope it is no longer an issue with the Z82. So far I haven’t seen any evidence for that but fingers crossed...

I would buy one to test but past experience gives me almost no confidence it would not be a return. In any case I would encourage any new owners to test thoroughly before you’re outside your return window. It’s an easy test. When you shoot from the fairway, make a mental note of how far the pin is supposed to be on from the green front. Then pace it off when you get to the green. Anything within a few yards would be fine in my book, but I saw substantial errors with my Z80.

No, I wouldn’t make that assumption. Back when I was testing the Z80 I also owned a Garmin G8. I made sure they were both using the exact same rev. of the Garmin GPS pack and I saw discrepancies of up to 15 yards between the G8 and the GPS numbers being reported by the Z80. The G8 numbers were always close enough to reality to be reasonably trustworthy.

Once again, just to be clear, those tests were with the Z80, not the Z82. I have not tested the Z82, but the review video that showed some through-the-lens footage seemed to exhibit the same behavior. Hence my concern.

I just returned my Z82 for many of the reasons listed previously. I wanted to like the device so much as my home course has many semi-blind greens, so knowing how far the pin is from the center or back can make a big difference in how you hit your approach.

Unfortunately, I found the screen image to be too grainy, or Pixelated compared to a regular rangefinder screen which made it tricky to find the pin at times. I often got the confused distance reading that was beyond the back edge according to the GPS, but tbh I could live with either of those. The big issue was how often I would get the jolt and the number to the flag only to realize that based on my knowledge of the course that it felt wrong and had to shoot it again to get the right distance. If I play an unfamiliar course I’m probably just going to with the first jolt number. If I get a reading that is 20 yards off even once a round then the device is worthless.

Garmin just have to get their version of jolt to work 100% to be competitive in this space. I’m going back to my Precision Pro NX9 and I’ll get a gps watch to use with it.

• 4 weeks later...

I am a long time Garmin fan, mostly with their watches. So much better than Apple watches for nearly everything. I currently use a Garmin FR 945, which has been great on golf courses for basic yardages to the front/middle/back of the green. I’ve been looking at rangefinders and thought the Z82 would be perfect. I knew Garmin wasn’t going to add more detailed golf features to my 945 (although it would be great). But I though the marriage of the course snapshot with the laser would be perfect.

I’m having the same issues raised above. Too many times a round the pin will show distances that are clearly not correct. I can check with both the yardage reading in the Z82 and compared to my watch (both are almost always identical), and the lasered pin will be nowhere close. Pin will laser to 140 yards when the “front” of the green is 142. I will re-fire the pin a few times to get it right. I just don’t think the laser is accurate, which completely defeats the purpose of the laser.

I think I’m returning mine tomorrow. Ugh. Leaning towards the Bushnell, but open to suggestions.

• 2 weeks later...

I liked the Z80 but hated having to take it home after every round to charge. I like how batteries last an entire season in a typical rangefinder, but understand due to the 2D overlay screen it's more like a GPS. Fortunately more and more carts are installed with USB ports so you can charge while you play.

Driver - Home Callaway MAVRIK / G400 MAX
Woods - XXIO 10 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Home - PXG Gen 2 0311P 5-SW   Away - Callaway Epic Forged 5-SW
Wedge - Callaway MD5 JAWS X Grind 60* 
Putter - Odyssey Triple Track 7
Ball - TM TP5X, TM Tour Response

• 4 weeks later...

TTT where is should be located

TAYLORMADE SIM2 Driver, 8*, GD Tour AD XC-6X 65g

CALLAWAY Customs (Black w/Silver) "The FREAK" Mavrik Sub Zero Driver, 9* (10*), Accra TZ6/M5 72g X

TAYLORMADE SIM2 Rocket #3+ 13.5*, GD Tour AD XC-7X 75g/or SIM2 #3 15*, Accra TZ6 M5 80X

TAYLORMADE SIM2 #5 FW 19*(18*), GD Tour AD XC-8X 85g
TAYLORMADE SIM2 RESCUE, 17* (16*) & 22* (21*),  SIM2 DHY #4 (21*)....Diamana Thump 105g X

PXG GEN4 0311ST, Xtreme Dark, 4 - 8, CT Lite LE Black X, 9 - GW, PX 6.5 Blackout

PXG GEN4 0311T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - 8, CT Lite LE Black X, 9 - GW, PX 6.5 Blackout

PXG GEN4 0311XP, Xtreme Dark, 5 - 6, CT Lite LE Black X; GEN0311PXtreme Dark, 7 - 8 CT Lite LE Black X, 9 - GW, PX 6.5 Blackout 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 56*/10, 60*/7, PX 6.5 Blackout //  CALLAWAY JAWS MD5 Custom Wedges, 54*(55*)/10S, 60*/08C; PX LS 6.5....TOULON GARAGE Austin Custom Rose Gold // SCOTTY CAMERON Santa Fe T3 Custom Antique Copper  .... STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550

• 3 weeks later...

Any updates regarding these issues mentioned above? Were any of you Able to get in contact with Garmin to get responses and the issues resolved?

Any additional feedback or reviews from others regarding the Z82?

I am or was considering picking up one of these, but hearing about all these issues is causing me to think otherwise... Especially due to the lack of customer service and what appears to be Garmin not standing behind their product(s) by not providing sufficient or timely responses back to the consumer-that’s such a bad look for any brand or company. In my opinion that just breeds doubt and suspicion by the consumer when considering their respective products or services...

Titleist TSi2 11° - Graphite Design Tour AD VR 6x
Titleist TSi2 16.5° - Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6x
Srixon Z U85 20° - UST Recoil 95s
Srixon Z785 (4-PW) - KBS C-Taper Lite 115x
Cleveland RTX Zipcore Tour Rack  50° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 125s
Cleveland RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 125s
Cleveland RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 125s

Bettinardi Studio Reserve JAM-F

On 9/5/2020 at 5:16 AM, ace036 said:

Any updates regarding these issues mentioned above? Were any of you Able to get in contact with Garmin to get responses and the issues resolved?

Any additional feedback or reviews from others regarding the Z82?

I am or was considering picking up one of these, but hearing about all these issues is causing me to think otherwise... Especially due to the lack of customer service and what appears to be Garmin not standing behind their product(s) by not providing sufficient or timely responses back to the consumer-that’s such a bad look for any brand or company. In my opinion that just breeds doubt and suspicion by the consumer when considering their respective products or services...

Some very good reviews from verified purchasers on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Approach-Finder-Accuracy-Overlays/dp/B085T56B2X/ref=as_li_ss_tl?crid=ZJV3DS4WPDBL&dchild=1&keywords=garmin+z82+rangefinder&qid=1592953018&sprefix=garmin+z82,aps,153&sr=8-3&linkCode=sl1&tag=golfspy-20&linkId=6c740437ac356fcbe9289915164401aa&language=en_US#customerReviews

Edited by BirdieBob

CALLAWAY Customs (Black w/Silver) "The FREAK" Mavrik Sub Zero Driver, 9* (10*), Accra TZ6/M5 72g X

TAYLORMADE SIM2 Rocket #3+ 13.5*, GD Tour AD XC-7X 75g/or SIM2 #3 15*, Accra TZ6 M5 80X

TAYLORMADE SIM2 RESCUE, 17* (16*) & 22* (21*),  SIM2 DHY #4 (21*)....Diamana Thump 105g X

PXG GEN4 0311ST, Xtreme Dark, 4 - 8, CT Lite LE Black X, 9 - GW, PX 6.5 Blackout

PXG GEN4 0311XP, Xtreme Dark, 5 - 6, CT Lite LE Black X; GEN0311PXtreme Dark, 7 - 8 CT Lite LE Black X, 9 - GW, PX 6.5 Blackout 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 56*/10, 60*/7, PX 6.5 Blackout //  CALLAWAY JAWS MD5 Custom Wedges, 54*(55*)/10S, 60*/08C; PX LS 6.5....TOULON GARAGE Austin Custom Rose Gold // SCOTTY CAMERON Santa Fe T3 Custom Antique Copper  .... STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550

• 4 weeks later...

I recently purchased a Garmin Approach Z82.  It's a pretty amazing piece of Laser and GPS technology which makes it different from most other Lasers and GPS units.  Didn't own the Z80, just know from reading Z82 is essentially new software, new lenses, new eye optics, plus microUSB, hazard view, wind speed and direction, scorecard and find my Garmin, etc., but also laser to within 10" at 450yds, and locks onto the flag, that's impressive, even magical.   

Approach z82 functionality compared to Bushnell xe, makes them different, yet price between the two is only $50+/-.  I still have my other Bushnell Pro but haven't used it since buying Garmin Fenix 5x with Golf GPS.  Reason I bought Z82 was it provides functions and accurate yardages that my Garmin Fenix 5x watch lacks, together, they work/sync nicely with my iPhone and Garmin Golf app.  NO, I won't use all it's functionality but what I do use, inconjunction with Fenix 5X, makes golf that much easier and more target like.

Before buying I looked at most other Laser options, and realized I was leaning towards Bushnell xe till I looked at Garmins competitive answer, that did it.  Garmin costs a bit more but it brings so much more eye candy value to the course, especially since I play a lot of strange courses.  Garmins GPS reputation is so strong in many areas, it doesn't need to push itself on pro golfers as a sponsor.   As I see this purchase, it depends on how much a person wants to spend and how accurate they want to be before addressing the ball. 

• Titleist TS2 @10.25', Ventus 5 Series S
  • Titleist TS2 @16', Ventus 6 Series S
  • Titleist 718 T-MB 2i - Tensei AV White S
  • Titleist 620 Series 3-4i Tensei AV White S
  • Titleist 620 Series 5-PW - MMT 125S
  • SM6 F-52/8 - MMT 125S
  • SM6 M-58/8 - MMT 125S
  • SC CA Monterey
  • DASH-ProV1x & AVX

If considering the cost of S62 look at Garmin's Fenix 5X; it's not much more and quite amazing.  I have enjoyed mine since mid-2019.  I wear Fenix alongside of Approach Z82.  Approach is essentially for yardage to pin.  A full charge Fenix easily lasts 2-3 rounds and a few weeks.  No golf, full charge lasts nearly a month even while using other sports functions at the gym.  I give both 5 stars. 

• SM6 F-52/8 - MMT 125S
  • SM6 M-58/8 - MMT 125S
  • SC CA Monterey
  • DASH-ProV1x & AVX

17 hours ago, Pepperturbo said:

If considering the cost of S62 look at Garmin's Fenix 5X; it's not much more and quite amazing.  I have enjoyed mine since mid-2019.  I wear Fenix alongside of Approach Z82.  Approach is essentially for yardage to pin.  A full charge Fenix easily lasts 2-3 rounds and a few weeks.  No golf, full charge lasts nearly a month even while using other sports functions at the gym.  I give both 5 stars. 

I have the Fenix 6X Pro Solar and you are correct in that it's pretty amazing. However, I don't use 90% of the features and it's a bit bulky on my small wrists. Plus, the ability to track shots and compile that data is something that the S62 has over the Fenix series which appeals to me. I think I'll end up swapping the 6X for the S62 and then compare shot tracking performance to Arccos if my Caddie Link ever shows up.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
17 minutes ago, Miker20890 said:

does the plays like distance factor in the wind speed/direction?

No...the data comes from the nearest airport NWS setup and is for you use via your phone app.

I my case it is 20 miles away exposed while my course is more inland and does not get the same winds speeds.   Basically no value to me and I do not even use it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/16/2020 at 9:27 PM, davidreid96 said:

Garmin just have to get their version of jolt to work 100% to be competitive in this space. I’m going back to my Precision Pro NX9 and I’ll get a gps watch to use with it.

I recently got a Precision Pro NX9 after my previous rangefinder started giving me problems, and I'm actually finding that I don't like it for exactly this reason. I find that the NX9 jolts regardless if I'm hitting the flag or something in the background, and in addition to being basically useless when there's a little bit of fog, I'm going to return it and I've already ordered a Z82 to replace it (the Father's Day promos Garmin is running brought the price down to where I felt like it was worth a shot. I like the idea of the integration of all of the features of rangefinder and GPS -- hopefully they have worked out some of the kinks that some people have mentioned since most of the comments in this thread were posted. 🤞

Ping G410 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 46.5", Fujikura Ventus Black 6x
Ping G410 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x or Tour Issue TaylorMade M2 Tour 18*, Fujikura Rombax P95x
Scratch SB-1 3-4 & 6-PW Nippon Modus3 120x or Ben Hogan Icon 4-PW Nippon Modus3 125x
Corey Paul 52*/Titleist Vokey Forged 58* K-Grind, Nippon Modus3 125 Blue Wedge shafts,  Titleist Vokey SM6 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

There are two possible ways for Approach Z82 to get wind/weather.  The closest official weather station to your starting point, either at a nearby airport or possibly localized small weather stations like used by Weather Underground. 

One thing for sure, where ever it gets Wind data, it's surprisingly accurate.  I was playing the other day, and it was showing me 9mph wind and direction was into us.  It changed speed and direction from hole to hole.  Same on weather apps.

• SM6 F-52/8 - MMT 125S
  • SM6 M-58/8 - MMT 125S
  • SC CA Monterey
  • DASH-ProV1x & AVX

IMO and experience, the Z82 is great for distances to hazards, obstacles, fairways, etc while still able to shoot actual distances. Where the Z82 falls short is the battery life compared to CR batteries and viewfinder clarity. The Z82 uses a small OLED screen which can’t see details like the Bushnell which is basically a monocular. 

• 3 months later...

After a few months with mine, I really like it, and I'm glad I ended up going with the Z82. A few things I've noticed:

• The integration of GPS and rangefinder is really cool, and it works really well. The only annoying thing I've noticed is that if I hit one way offline where I'm near another hole, the GPS will switch over to that hole, more often than not. I wish it was a little smarter, and could realize that I didn't just suddenly jump ahead 3 holes. It's easy enough to get back to the right hole, but it would be nice to not have to fiddle with it. The best solution is probably to just hit it straight.
  • The laser hits flags pretty well, but it's not very good if you want to shoot the distance to a tree or something like that in the distance. The GPS is great for distance to bunkers/hazards/etc, but sometimes you just want to see how far it is to an object in an effort to see what line you should take, and the Z82 really doesn't do that reliably
  • Battery life is very good -- I can usually get 3 rounds out of a charge
  • The screen is good for use in low light. I play often in the early morning, teeing off when I can barely see where my first tee shot goes, and in that light it makes it brighter and easier to find the flag.
  • I hate the case that came with it. The combination of the fabric top and the hard bottom do not make it easy to get it in and out. I have a Jones golf bag, and they recently came out with rangefinder pouches that are much more spacious, and it was a good $25 investment to replace the OEM case.

Ping G410 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 46.5", Fujikura Ventus Black 6x
Ping G410 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x or Tour Issue TaylorMade M2 Tour 18*, Fujikura Rombax P95x
Scratch SB-1 3-4 & 6-PW Nippon Modus3 120x or Ben Hogan Icon 4-PW Nippon Modus3 125x
Corey Paul 52*/Titleist Vokey Forged 58* K-Grind, Nippon Modus3 125 Blue Wedge shafts,  Titleist Vokey SM6 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x