Is it a dumb idea to carry two drivers?

I think the extra 20-30 yards are much advantageous to people who are only carrying driver in the low to mid 200’s. If the OP is carrying 280 now I think he would be better served with clubs to cover all the short yardage distances, mainly wedges. Because he’s going to have a steady diet of them into par 4’s. Even playing at 7,000yards.

But being a Punch and Judy hitter, what do I know about the world where guys carry it 280+!?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think the big difference between tour and amateur players is going to be the 3W.  A tour player can play 3w off the tee or the deck without any problems.  I would wager that most recreational golfer

Why not carry a low lofted but easy to hit off the deck 2/3 wood instead of the short driver ?  You can get a RBZ tour spoon and I’d bet money it flies as far with the right shaft as your short driver

That is a good point, I guess it depends though. I still feel a similar "catch 22" vibe from this. If someone is good enough with the driver to where 2 of them would be a measurable advantage then I f

Short answer is yes. I would just carry the 280 driver. Chances are you hit a few here and there plus 280+ if i could score well hitting anywhere from 230 to 290 with most drives 230 to 250. Then surely you can. When i crank one 260 on most holes i only have 50 to 140 max an thats an easy shot in. If i hit it 290 im sitting so close its riduculous. Ive actually discovered if you play white or blue tees and most driving situation holes you can only hit it so far anyways unless its a long 4 or par 5 wide open. 280 is plenty imo. Ive seen an old man birdie a par 5 only driving maybe 200 lol the long long ball as far as us amateurs is a tad overrated.

There's no question that getting closer to the hole is an advantage, what is in question is how much of an advantage. I looked at the PGA stats for 2019, and compared the RTP scores for 150-175 against 125-150. That 25 yard nominal distance gain made less than 0.1 stroke per hole difference for the middle of the pack guys. If the OP uses his "long driver" 5 times a round, and his stats are similar to the tour players, he's likely to gain half a stroke. He may also lose a little by creating a gap in his shorter club ranges. He suggested he might gain 1 or 2 strokes a round, and that seems unlikely. He could be right, statistics are just an indication, not always valid for every player, but its unlikely that he'll gain as much as he thinks he will.

• Like 1

I'd never carry a special driver just for 1 or two shots per round. If you think it's that big of an advantage being 20-30 yards closer (with the downside of possibly mishitting it), and you were going to put in the practice to get proficient with the long driver, why wouldn't you just hit it all the time? At that point, you eliminated the need for the short driver. If you couldn't get proficient with the long one, why would you bother hitting a club you couldn't control? I COULD see swapping out to the long driver if you were playing a course that was wide open or was super long where you HAD to have the additional length, but I'd never bag both clubs at the same time.

-ZA

TM SIM 9.0 with Tensei Pro White 60-S

TM SIM 15 deg 3W with Project X Smoke Green S

TM M3 3H & 4H with Fujikura Atmos Blue HB Tour Spec 8X

TM P790 5i with KBS $-Taper 120

TM P760 6-PW with KBS $-Taper 120

TM Hi Toe 50, 55 & 60 with DG S300

Odyssey 34" Stroke Lab 10 

"you were going to put in the practice to get proficient with the long driver, why wouldn't you just hit it all the time?"

No, it is not possible to hit the long driver the same accuracy as a shorter/regular one, even with the practice. I would be really dumb and ignorant if I think I can :) This is the whole point why I am wondering carrying two drivers. The courses I played, I have occasionally had "driving remorse" when I see a wide open fairway (probably 60 to 100 yards wide), hit my driver to the middle, and then see the big gap to both sides of the rough and cannot stop wondering if I leave some distance on the table. Of course there are (more often) times that my drivers went to rough and I complained the FW is not wide enough. oh well...I think I will stick to the common wisdom for now and may come back to try this idea this winter.

I think that carrying 2 drivers can be fun and beneficial.

10 years ago I played with a Cobra driver that was my draw driver, and a titleist 910D2 that was my fade driver. That's just the way they worked out. If I wanted to play a certain shape off the tee, I had confidence that those two drivers would give me the shop shape that I wanted. Every time? No, but more often than not, yes.

I have played many rounds with a Ping G25 driver, and a Ping Rapture mini driver. On a tight hole, the Rapture has given me a lot of confidence, and has helped me hit fairways on holes that would scare me with a driver (unless absolutely hitting it pure that day).

I now have a 48" Ping driver that I ordered with the same specs as Brook Henderson (yes, I am a fan). Given the opportunity on an open driving hole, and my hope to put a smoooth swing on it, I get an extra 15 yards with the 48" driver - not a bad result. But if I get quick with the 48" driver, it can be a disaster. It is a fun club to have in the bag.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

Do you already have the 47" to 48" driver? If you already have it and hit it enough to confirm your dispersion/carry numbers are correct, I think it makes sense if you play long courses with enough wide fairways.

Many moons ago I dabbled in the Long Drive stuff - nothing serious as I only got to districts a few times. While my course swing and long drive swings were pretty different, I did try to hit the long driver club during a few rounds. I found that I was way too inconsistent to make it worth my while. And when I say inconsistent I mean both fairway accuracy as well as distance. When I would pure one, it would go a long way (not always straight), but I found I also missed the center a lot more and those misses rarely went farther than a well struck "regular" driver. Recently I've even gravitated back to a 44.5" driver after playing a 46" or 45.5" when the OEMs were using that to increase clubhead speed. I find it's a easier to find the middle with the shorter clubs and that often leads to longer drives anyway.

You may find it different - and I'd love to hear how the experiment goes. Good luck!

I personally consider carrying one driver to be a dumb idea most of the time!

Seriously though, if it works, why not? Just need to be honest withe the assessment because you may be losing more strokes by taking something out than this set up would actually make up for. Also, if you are hitting 280 carry already you are well above average am player to begin with!

I think many people have experimented with or do carry two drivers, but I have mainly seen your regular driver, then a shorter higher lofted version for increased accuracy. Not very often i have seen the opposite approach.

Not sure i would waste the spot in the bag for something way less accurate. I can hit it long into the bush with my regular driver thank you very much!

"If you're pretty good you expect to hit a 110 yard wedge to 10 feet. "

If you're pretty good, you might expect this, and you'd be completely wrong to think that way. PGA Tour players are WAY better than "pretty good", they're really effing good, and an average guy on the PGA Tour averaged about 20 feet from 100-125 yards last year. The very best average on tour last year from that range was almost 16 feet. If anyone is going to make a realistic evaluation of choices in the bag, it helps to have realistic expectations for results.

I mean Phil did it and won the masters..

Driver: Titleist TSi3 Ventus blue 6x

3 wood: Titleist Tsi2 15 Ventus blue 7x

& Wood: Titleist TSi2 Ventus Red 9X
Taylormade Gapr low 2 ventus blue 9x
4-PW Cobra king forged CB KBS $ Taper 130 X flex
Wedges 50, 54, 60 Cleveland ZIPCORE
PUTTER; LAB DF2.1
BALL; Bridgestone BX, OR Taylomade TP5x PIX

My two cents is that while 2 drivers might not be crazy, a 48 inch driver sounds nuts to me. If I went that route, I'd also need a specialty club for hitting under trees, back into the fairway for my second...

M6 Driver, Paderson Kinetixx

M4 16.5, Paderson Kinetixx Launch

Rogue Heavenwood, Paderson Kinetixx Launch

Rogue 21 Hybrid, KBS Tour Proto Hybrid shaft 

Apex '19 5-P, KBS tour 90

MD4 50, 54, 58 (Raw), KBS tour 90

Odyssey 7 triple track slant neck/ Toulon Custom Madison Long neck

Agree 100 percent. My fitter was very opposed to going shorter with a driver shaft for me, but I knew it was best for me. So we tested a 45 inch driver shaft and a 43 inch fairway shaft in the same head. I hit them the same.

M6 Driver, Paderson Kinetixx

M4 16.5, Paderson Kinetixx Launch

Rogue Heavenwood, Paderson Kinetixx Launch

Rogue 21 Hybrid, KBS Tour Proto Hybrid shaft 

Apex '19 5-P, KBS tour 90

MD4 50, 54, 58 (Raw), KBS tour 90

Odyssey 7 triple track slant neck/ Toulon Custom Madison Long neck

I thought this about this seriously for a while and was even demoing clubs. Of course the idea was opposite, to have a short higher lofted driver to hit on tight fairways. I had gotten pretty good at hitting my 3WHL off the tee, but rarely hit it off the deck, so I was thinking I could probably get a few more yards out of a second driver without costing me any scoring clubs. After research, demos, actually playing with different combos on different courses I frequent, I ended up going to the absolute opposite approach. No second driver, and no 3 wood. After looking at the stats, I realized none of my woods or hybrids hit the fairway at a higher clip, than my somewhat recently acquired driver (Ping 410+). So there's no point for, me in laying up with those. My most accurate club was my 5 iron, which I rarely hit off the tee. Experimented with different driving irons, and settled on a U85. So now when I am needing some confidence, facing a tight fairway, or want to avoid some fairway bunkers off the tee, I hit my driving iron. Picked up a 17 degree hybrid, almost exclusively to hit off the deck when distance is needed. I hit this as far as my 3 wood off the deck anyway.

Just need a putter now. Might carry 2 of those.

PING G410+ 9* TPO 60S 

Callaway Mini 1.5 14*

Cobra F6 Baffler 17.5*

Callaway Apex 20* AD DI 85s

Cleveland UHX 5 utility 23*

6-PW Srixon Z785 Modus 120S

50 Cleveland RTX 4

56 and 60, TM Hi Toe

EVNROLL ER3

After kicking around the idea for a long time I just put a taylormade original one in my bag. That’s basically the same idea. I went with the 13.5 head and cut it so it is just a touch longer than a standard 3 wood.

• Like 1

Driver: Titleist TSi3 Ventus blue 6x

3 wood: Titleist Tsi2 15 Ventus blue 7x

& Wood: Titleist TSi2 Ventus Red 9X
Taylormade Gapr low 2 ventus blue 9x
4-PW Cobra king forged CB KBS $ Taper 130 X flex
Wedges 50, 54, 60 Cleveland ZIPCORE
PUTTER; LAB DF2.1
BALL; Bridgestone BX, OR Taylomade TP5x PIX

I've tried it -- it's not the worst idea I've ever had. Have a 9015D 10.5 at about 47.5" Aldila Longwood shaft, and I've used assorted thrivers in the 43-44" range. Just picked up a Cobra Max straight neck 11.5 at 43.5". If I get a chance to get out this week, we'll see how it goes. I'm oddly not significantly wilder with the longer driver so far -- and it gives me 10-15 yards more. My good drives at 44-45" are in the 230-240 range and the long driver gets me out to 250 -- it's enough to give me a mid iron on three longer par 4s and gives me a chance on the one shorter par 5 where I play. I do swing differently with the longer driver -- I manage to stay within myself a little better, though that could change on the next swing. I was usually only carrying 13 clubs, so I didn't have to drop anything. But instead of a 15 degree 3 wood and a 19 hybrid, I go to a 4 wood and the hybrid, since I'm not hitting the 3 wood off the tee as much. You have to experiment with it. If it keeps working for you, keep doing it.

Adams 9015D 10.5* Aldila Longwood 47.5"
SMT AF460c 12* Wishon Red S2S 44"
Tour Edge Exotics E8 16.5* 4 wood
Knuth High Heat 19* hybrid or Tour Edge Exotics XCG-7 19* 
Bridgestone Access VP-02, 6-AW
Inazone EZ-PZ CNC wedge 52* & 60*
Otey Crisman 41"

Honestly, it's not gonna save you much and honestly probably costs you strokes in the long run. Strokes Gained says that you need 30 yards of extra distance to make up for the difference between a fairway and rough lie. So if you're hitting the long driver 20-30 more on average but it's lower in fairway accuracy you're probably breaking even on strokes gained, maybe you're gaining a fraction of a stroke per round on average, but you're definitely not gaining the 1-2 strokes per round you're saying you will. I suppose if you really feel comfortable with your wedges and that taking out your GW really isn't going to hurt you and there's absolutely nothing else in there that you could put in to help out then maybe it's worth experimenting, but that seems like a big stretch. But to save 1-2 strokes per round you'd have to hit the fairway with the long driver nearly every time and you'd have to hit it pretty much every opportunity which negates the need for the shorter driver. If anything I'd build something in between those and build a strong 3W that at least has some multipurpose use whereas a driver is pretty one-dimensional.

Driver: Ping G425 LST 9º (at 8º) Accra TZ5 65 M5

3 Wood: Taylormade SIM Ti 15º Accra TZ5 75 M5

3i/4i: Srixon Z785 Nippon Modus 120X (4i 1º weak)

5i-PW: Srixon Z-Forged Modus 120X

50º/54º/60º: Cleveland RTX 4 (Mid Bounce) Modus 120X (50º/54º) & DG TI S400 (60º)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Squareback 2 (33.75", 70º lie, 2.5º loft)

I think you'd agree that wasn't the point I was trying to make. My point was you expect to have an "opportunity" to capitalize and have an 'opportunity' to0 make birdie with a GW in your hands. And I think it's fair to assume that if you're going to be either making the choice to hit something soft or something hard to work around a gap in your irons you'd prefer it be at the other end of the bag. Or maybe you don't agree.

I'm not a professional, but when I'm 100 yards from the green I'm not that happy when I don't hit it inside 15 feet. Expecting to and doing it are 2 completely different things, but if you think anyone, pro or low handicap amateur should be satisfied with being 30 feet from the hole with one of your sand wedges in your hands then either you're not a low handicap amateur or you're just taking the opportunity to nitpick.

TM SIM 9* Diamana 60S
TM SIM 15* Diamana 75S
Adams Super LSP 18* Kuro Kage 80S
Titleist T100S 4-GW PX 6.0
Titleist SM8 Black 52*,58* TT S200
L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1
Pro V1

What I'm suggesting is that the difference between a 9-iron and a gap wedge isn't likely to make a real big difference in scoring. I'm also suggesting that for most people, excessively high expectations can be counterproductive. If a good player, a scratch player, hits a wedge to 20 feet and gets down on himself, he's not being realistic. If a scratch player expects to gain maybe 2 strokes a round by hitting a small number of drives longer, he's not being realistic. Making good decisions depends on a realistic assessment of the probable results of each available choice. I'm trying to outline some of the probable results. Unrealistic expectations can lead to poor choices.

• Like 1

The problem with this reasoning is that it discounts the fact that most amateurs hit a small 3 wood head much worse than a driver head. I don't love the OP's setup, but something like a normal driver plus a 13*, short-shafted driver can be a great set up for players who for whatever reason don't have 3 wood as a reliable club off the tee, and don't use it off the ground for similar reasons.

I don't play two drivers but I have. My 15th club for a long time was a 13* SQ driver with a Tour Green 80x in it. Thing was straight. It came out for the 3 wood on courses where a 2 hybrid could get me to the par 5s. I'm not sure its worth it to go from 280 to 310, but it is definitely a solid strategy. Most amateurs don't gain anything but distance loss moving from their driver to their 3 wood off the tee, although they think its more consistent, it actually isn't.

• Like 1

G400 Max 9* Ventus Red 5X, SIM Ventus Red 6X 

Callaway Mavrik 4 (18*) - AW (46*) Project X 5.5

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

But that's not what the OP's plan is. He wants a regular driver (say 10*) and a 48" LD driver (say 5-6*) which is completely different to carrying a 13* driver as a second tee club. I could see the point being made for a "thriver", but a 5-6* driver is not a particularly smart play.

Callaway Mav SZ 3D 9

Cobra F6 Baffler 17.5

Adams DHy 24

Yonex CB-301 5-PW

Vokey SM8 52M, 58T

Ping Anser

I worked the practice range at the 2016 U.S. Senior Amateur at Old Warson CC in St. Louis.
One of the players carried two drivers, one with a draw face and a second with a fade face. He hit his drivers with a square stance, and felt the face angles gave him more reliable curve than trying to manipulate a square-face driver. If I remember correctly, he did not make top 64 in stroke play qualifying. (Final 64 did match play)
And back to the specs of our OP, @golfer55082: "Driver 2: long driver with 47-48” shaft, 7-8 degree loft. Carry about 300-310 yards, with 60-65 wide dispersion."
A 47-inch shaft is what I played with for part of one season back in the persimmon-headed days. I had snapped the Dynamic Gold steel shaft in two a foot above the wrapping on a routine teebox drive. On a lark I had the repair guy leave the replacement shaft trimmed long to see if distance increased.
Good news: distance increased with 280-yd. drives on occasion (a good poke with deep-face, persimmon-headed 10* driver).Bad news: about three times a round, I would end up chipping sideways back to the fairway after I found my ball in the trees.At the end of the season, I had the shaft cut back to standard 43.5" and regained some control.
Unless you see an actual saving of two strokes a round with the dual driver decision, I would suggest you are wasting your time. You may find yourself frequently chipping sideways (see above), which negates the benefit of an extra 20 yards.

What's In The Bag (Summary as of October 2020)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i-9i

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced)

Ball: Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

For details see:  Pending (need protocol to embed file list).

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind being tested as possible SW to replace MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.