MP 20 MMC..wow!

aquapig

I second Neil with his statement. I played the 54s for a bit and thought the mp 5s we’re actually more forgiving. The 20 MMCs are a great iron. Plenty forgiving even though they are compact. Classic Mizuno feel and most definitely longer. For me it’s nothing to do with the loft as I have mine bent week. The 54s were a short hitting iron for me. And did not get through the turf well either.

-Taylormade BRNR 11.5* set at 9.5* Ventus Red TR 7X playing 44.25”
-Mizuno STz 230 hybrid 16* set at 15* Ventus Blue 8X

-Mizuno STz 230 hybrid 19* Ventus Blue 9X

-Mizuno JPX 923 Forged4&5, Tour 6-PW Project X LS 6.5
-Titleist Vokey SM9 50F set to 51*, 56D, & 62M set to 61*

-Mizuno M-Craft OMOI Type 1 Blue Putter

Enjoy your new sticks!

I did some extensive testing of the mp20's and the mmc's last weekend. I came away surprised for 2 reasons. First I thought the mmc's felt better than the mp20's. Second I've been a TTDG x100 player for as long as I can remember, and for the first time ever I came away from an iron fitting liking a different shaft. In every club I tried the $ taper 130 performed as well as the x100 and felt better to me especially on less than perfect strikes.

• Like 1

@tw7878 Nope - never played the 53s. The 54s were great for me back in the day but especially compared to modern clubs they are a good club short for me...if you compare them the real artillery like the P790 it's even more. I got almost a full club over my 54s with MP20 MMCs.@jetmech879 I agree - the MMCs are more forgiving than the 54s despite the more compact head and honestly they just feel softer.

Super pumped to get my new sticks! Should be getting here soon. =]

Mizuno MP 20 MMCs almost made it into my bag this year as a very close second. Fantastic set of clubs but found it slightly clickier compared to my old set of MP60s that I have used for many years. MP 20 MMCs went really well with Modus 120 or KBS $ Taper imo.

• Like 1

Driver - Titleist TS3 9.5* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6x

3 wood - Titleist TS2 15* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-7x

5wood - Titleist TS2 18* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-8x

Irons - Srixon ZX7 4, Srixon Z Forged 5- PW w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 120X

Gap Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 52* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Sand Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 58* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Lob Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore Full Face 64* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Putter - Bettinardi DASS Diamond Face BB8 w/ Stability Tour Black

Ball - Srixon Z Star

I had 3-6 in the MP18 MMC Fli-Hi (basically replaced by the HMB, which is bigger) and I gave the 3-4 to my nephew who is in his 30s, a very good player and wanted long irons to blend with his MP59s, which he does very well with. (As an aside, Who can remember how the purists ripped the MP59’s when they came out for the co-forged steel and titanium? Mizuno designers knew what they were doing.)

I think these Fli-Hi’s are great irons. Not much bigger than the MP18MMC and very compact. I am thinking of keeping the 5-6 Fli-Hi from the last series and adding a 7-P of MP20 MMC’s to complete the set. I have yet to find a 5 iron any easier to hit and launch strong shots. I’m a little surprised those Fli-Hi’s were not more popular. I bought those and a few TMB heads to try and the Mizunos felt and sounded so much better.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

• 1 month later...

Got my MP20 MMC irons in mid-July. Have played about 10 rounds with them so far and absolutely love them.   Previously I had MP-54's and MP-60's.  Since getting my MP20 MMC irons, I've been hitting 3-4 more GIR per round, and scores have accordingly come down. I'd previously been fitted for length, loft, lie and grip size, but this time used the "shaft optimizer" at the PGA Superstore. The right shaft makes a huge difference!  I shot even par for the first time ever last weekend, largely due to better iron play. The feel is just unmatched from anything I've played before. Hands down the best irons I've ever owned.

Just went from MP-33s to MP-20 MMC. Beautiful looking. Nice profile at address. Nice measure of forgiveness. Very similar turf interaction to my blades.  The right shaft makes these come alive.  Couldn't be happier.

Taylormade SIM Max 10.5˚ VA VYLYN 65 Four S

Taylormade SIM Max 18˚ Fujikura Ventus Blue 6 S

Taylormade SIM Max 22˚ Fujikura Ventus Blue 7 S

Mizuno MP-20 HMB 16˚ UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4

Srixon Zx5 MkII 5-AW  Nippon NS.Pro 950GH Tour S

Titleist Vokey SM8 56.10˚S  |  SM8 60.08˚ M

PXG Spitfire

Maxfli Tour

BBF&Co. TP-9

I have played about at least 10 rounds with the mmc mp 20 now...best irons ive had. I have no complaints. Super soft but responsive and soft throughout the set from 4 to pw... very forgiving for the size... ive nutted them ive shanked them ive hit them left right thin fat... nothing was punished to the point of thinking unplayable. Fat shots carried to the green pin high? What? Yeahhh. Thin shots held greens or stood relatively online. Shank is a shank...phew.

Right and left go as right and left as ive hit with GI irons. No difference. Only place ive been punished has been 4 iron... i either flush it and hit my distance or slight misshit that lose 10yrds. I dont mind that giving everything else they do and when i flush the 4 its like im in a cloud of cotton candy. Seems to be gi iron in players iron head imo. Happy i am.

17 hours ago, Dess said:

Just went from MP-33s to MP-20 MMC. Beautiful looking. Nice profile at address. Nice measure of forgiveness. Very similar turf interaction to my blades.  The right shaft makes these come alive.  Couldn't be happier.

Oh that’s interesting now. I’m playing 15s 4-6 and 33s 7-PW. Could use more help sometimes, those weeks you are just not hitting it well you know.

How’s the launch angle of the MMC vs. the 33s, if the shafts are comparable? I have S300 in them and they launch pretty high. 

WITB 2024

Dr Mizuno ST-Z

3W Cally Rogue ST Max

5W Mizuno ST-Z

4H New Level NLH-01

5/6i New Level 902 OS

7i-PW New Level 902 PD

GW/SW/LW  Mizuno S23

Putter Odyssey WhiteHot OG 2-Ball

Ball  Vice Pro/Snell MTB Prime

15 hours ago, LukeDonaldsTiger said:

Oh that’s interesting now. I’m playing 15s 4-6 and 33s 7-PW. Could use more help sometimes, those weeks you are just not hitting it well you know.

How’s the launch angle of the MMC vs. the 33s, if the shafts are comparable? I have S300 in them and they launch pretty high. 

I went from S300 to Nippon 1150gh Tour Stiff shafts.  I hit the MMCs higher even with the stronger lofts. My peak height is ~92ft w/ a 6iron.

Taylormade SIM Max 10.5˚ VA VYLYN 65 Four S

Taylormade SIM Max 18˚ Fujikura Ventus Blue 6 S

Taylormade SIM Max 22˚ Fujikura Ventus Blue 7 S

Mizuno MP-20 HMB 16˚ UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4

Srixon Zx5 MkII 5-AW  Nippon NS.Pro 950GH Tour S

Titleist Vokey SM8 56.10˚S  |  SM8 60.08˚ M

PXG Spitfire

Maxfli Tour

BBF&Co. TP-9

Thanks for your reply. I haven’t used this shaft, but it’s 115 grams I guess? S300 is 130g and a different profile, so that’s hard to compare. 
I would love to know if the MMCs are launching lower than the 33s, as I’m a high launch/high spin player and the 33s are said to be HL as well. Just how much of a difference there is, that‘d be interesting to know. Need to lower my ballflight. 

WITB 2024

Dr Mizuno ST-Z

3W Cally Rogue ST Max

5W Mizuno ST-Z

4H New Level NLH-01

5/6i New Level 902 OS

7i-PW New Level 902 PD

GW/SW/LW  Mizuno S23

Putter Odyssey WhiteHot OG 2-Ball

Ball  Vice Pro/Snell MTB Prime

All the comments comparing these to my 54s, which I've never felt were lacking in my game, have me thinking how good the 20 MMCs sound and look.  Resisting and staying strong is tough work thanks to wrx.  Self voice: "Archer not arrow, short game work, ..."

D1 Cobra LTDx, OG HZ Black 62 6.5 D2 TM R510TP, 757X 3W OG Ping Rapture, OG HZ Black 75 6.0 20°H Ping G20, CTLX 5I Cobra F9, CTLX 5I-PW Mizuno MP-54, CTLX GW Nike VPC, V120X 54, 60 CBX Zipcore, V120X Cure RX4, CX3. WITB Link. CAD Designs on IG @joostin.golf

• 1 month later...

I just ordered a set of MP 20 MMC 4-PW, 1/4 over, 1 strong, std lie w TV cord grips. 

i had gone down the players distance iron route for first time due to decrease in speed - Apex Pro Combo and Mavrik Pro. Both sets good clubs, I just struggled to strike them well so didn’t get many of the benefits. 

in my fitting I was getting better ball speed from the MMC due to better strikes. Was in ideal range on Trackman Optimizer.  

Love the look, feel and performance.  

Mizuno Optimizer recommended C-Taper Lite R for my moderate tempo, release and speed.  They worked great in demo.  First time w regular flex iron shafts - bit nervous about it, but, it did work great in fitting. 

MMC is a great club if you need a little more pop but want more player shape and sole. 

• Callaway Epic Max LS 10.5; Mitsubishi Diamana TB 60 S; 45.5”
  • Taylormade SIM Max 3w and 5w; Mitsubishi Diamana BF 70 S; 43.25” & 42.25”
  • Mizuno '21 CLK 19, 22 & 25; Fujikura Speeder EVO 75 HB Graphite S; Std L/L/L; sub for 5w, 4i & 5i
  • PXG 0311 P GEN3 PW-4i; Aerotech Steelfiber i95 stiff ; Std L/+0.75"/2 up
  • Vokey SM9 50F8 & 54S10 and SM8 58M8; Mitsubishi MMT 105 S in 50 & KBS 610 Wedge R+ in 54 & 58; Std L/+0.75"/1 up
  • Odyssey White Hot OG #1 Stroke Lab Putter; 35/74; stock Odyssey grip
  • JumboMax JMX UltraLite small on all clubs except putter

42 minutes ago, Galanga said:

I just ordered a set of MP 20 MMC 4-PW, 1/4 over, 1 strong, std lie w TV cord grips. 

i had gone down the players distance iron route for first time due to decrease in speed - Apex Pro Combo and Mavrik Pro. Both sets good clubs, I just struggled to strike them well so didn’t get many of the benefits. 

in my fitting I was getting better ball speed from the MMC due to better strikes. Was in ideal range on Trackman Optimizer.  

Love the look, feel and performance.  

Mizuno Optimizer recommended C-Taper Lite R for my moderate tempo, release and speed.  They worked great in demo.  First time w regular flex iron shafts - bit nervous about it, but, it did work great in fitting. 

MMC is a great club if you need a little more pop but want more player shape and sole. 

When testing, did you compare the MMC's to anything in the JPX 921 line like the Tours or Forged.  If so, any thoughts to share?

I'm looking to replace some very old irons and the MMC's had caught my attention before but so has the 921 line.

Mostly we went off what I needed: less offset and narrower sole but with a bit of forgiveness and extra pop.  I did hit P7 MC (felt fantastic and sole went thru contact like it was greased but I was short with it), Srixon 785 (I didn’t get along w the sole) and P770 (I got better ball speed and feel from MMC).  I should have tried the 921 Tour, but, didn’t think of it and fitter didnt suggest it (he had me pegged as someone that likes the “classic” look and said MMC worked well for him in prior fits w players like me.)

I have demoed the 921 Forged.  For me, it is still too long heel to toe, sole too wide and too much offset- no real improvement for me from Mavrik Pro I had. 

Edited by Galanga

• Callaway Epic Max LS 10.5; Mitsubishi Diamana TB 60 S; 45.5”
  • Taylormade SIM Max 3w and 5w; Mitsubishi Diamana BF 70 S; 43.25” & 42.25”
  • Mizuno '21 CLK 19, 22 & 25; Fujikura Speeder EVO 75 HB Graphite S; Std L/L/L; sub for 5w, 4i & 5i
  • PXG 0311 P GEN3 PW-4i; Aerotech Steelfiber i95 stiff ; Std L/+0.75"/2 up
  • Vokey SM9 50F8 & 54S10 and SM8 58M8; Mitsubishi MMT 105 S in 50 & KBS 610 Wedge R+ in 54 & 58; Std L/+0.75"/1 up
  • Odyssey White Hot OG #1 Stroke Lab Putter; 35/74; stock Odyssey grip
  • JumboMax JMX UltraLite small on all clubs except putter

13 hours ago, Galanga said:

Mostly we went off what I needed: less offset and narrower sole but with a bit of forgiveness and extra pop.  I did hit P7 MC (felt fantastic and sole went thru contact like it was greased but I was short with it), Srixon 785 (I didn’t get along w the sole) and P770 (I got better ball speed and feel from MMC).  I should have tried the 921 Tour, but, didn’t think of it and fitter didnt suggest it (he had me pegged as someone that likes the “classic” look and said MMC worked well for him in prior fits w players like me.)

I have demoed the 921 Forged.  For me, it is still too long heel to toe, sole too wide and too much offset- no real improvement for me from Mavrik Pro I had. 

Very solid review. Says a lot about how good the MMC is vs even foam-filled heads. 

And don’t fear the reg flex in the C Taper Lites, just enjoy the distance! Shafts are all about dispersion, spin and flight window. If you’re getting good results in a shaft not quite as stiff, all the better and often better feel too. 

• Thanks 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

• 4 weeks later...

Do any of you MMC owners feel they are too big with too much offset in the shorter irons? I play the MP-20 MBs but thinking of switching to the MMC as I dont want to play blades anymore. I hit the 6 iron MMC and I swear it felt better than my MP-20 MBs, felt so buttery, but I havent seen the shorter irons like the 9 or PW to get a good view of the size.

Thinking of either switching to the MMC or T100s.

3 hours ago, ryoustra5 said:

Do any of you MMC owners feel they are too big with too much offset in the shorter irons? I play the MP-20 MBs but thinking of switching to the MMC as I dont want to play blades anymore. I hit the 6 iron MMC and I swear it felt better than my MP-20 MBs, felt so buttery, but I havent seen the shorter irons like the 9 or PW to get a good view of the size.

The MMC's are a fair bit longer in blade length with a little more offset than the MB's throughout the set. They are also strong in loft by comparison. 

If you intend to stick with Mizuno the tour is slighly more compact with less offset than the MMC, Lofts are more traditional. Feel is subjective so I'll let you determine what you prefer the feel of. 

PING G425 MAX W/ TENSEI AV RAW ORANGE X

TITLEIST TSR2 5 WOOD W/ TENSEI 1K BLACK X

TITLEIST TSR2 4 HYBRID W/ TENSEI 1K BLACK X

MIZUNO 223 5-P W/ DG 120 X100

MIZUNO T22 50-56-60 W/ DG S400

SCOTTY CAMERON PHANTOM X7

4 handicap here. Feel like this is a perfectly timed question. I was just fit for new irons, ball striking is quite frankly the biggest strength of my game. I tested everything with my pro; P7MC, Callaway X Forged, T100, 620 CB, 921 Tours, MP 20 MMC and the MP 20 blade. Feel is subjective as mentioned above but in my mind it was not even close as the three irons from Mizuno were the three that my pro and I decided were performing best, which was great because they felt the best. We kicked the blade out because there is just no reason for me to play blades. They felt great no question, but I don’t see any reason to play them. Just my opinion. It came down to the 921 Tours and the MMC. Again, feel being subjective, the MMC felt light years better than the Tours to me. Even though the MMC is slightly stronger lofted, I was getting the exact same carry, launch and spin numbers between the MMC and Tours. I based my decision on feel and went with the MMC. No regrets. 

I don’t feel the scoring irons are too big or have too much offset. I was able to compare the short irons of the blade, Tours and MMC and if you put all 3 right up next to each other, you can see the subtle differences in offset and blade length. But when I put the MMC PW down I honestly don’t notice much. Very much feels like a traditional scoring club to me. 

• Like 2

Titleist TSR3 10 Degree Fujikura Ventus Black 6X

Titleist TSR2 3 Wood Fujikura Ventus Blue 7X

Srixon ZX Mk II 20 Degree Graphite Design AD-DI Hybrid 95X

Miura MC 502 4-P Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Miura Milled Tour Wedge 52, 56, 60 Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Ping PLD DS 72

Titleist Pro V1

3 hours ago, iceman1118 said:

I don’t feel the scoring irons are too big or have too much offset.

good to know, thanks for the reply. All those irons you tested, especially T100, are of interest to me currently, but I will say I can't imagine the MMC losing to any based solely off feel. 

26 minutes ago, ryoustra5 said:

good to know, thanks for the reply. All those irons you tested, especially T100, are of interest to me currently, but I will say I can't imagine the MMC losing to any based solely off feel. 

Being a college golfer who’s coach works at a decently prestigious private club in the area has helped me a lot with getting to try things so much so that on random weekends I can just try out sets and stuff when the course is dead, the t100 was truly in a league of its own in the category  this year as far as what they aimed to do but that’s not to say that it dosent have some issues, spin wise the t100 was crazy for me even in my c taper 130x and maybe other shafts the t100 7 iron I could spin at like 8500 rpms which is crazy cause who wouldnt want to be able to randomly rip a 7iron back 30 feet(lmao) so after seeing that spin was crazy on thoose I would tinker with the new 620cb/mb so on and so forth untill I tried mizuno a for a little, I was messing with a full bag of the MP20 blades for a while and then decided to try the mmc in the top half and never looked back they were great, now the only crappy thing was thoose were thrown together clubs from demo and fitting bays, now I really gotta wait for my set to come in from mizuno. 

SrixonZX7 9.5 degreee, HZRDOUS Smoke Green 6.5tx 60g 

Callaway- Rouge SZ, Hazardous Yellow 6.5 76g 

MizunoMP18 MMC Fli High 2 Iron, C Taper 130x 

Mizuno- MP20 MMC 4-6 1Degree Week, MP20 Blade 7-PW 1 Degree Strong, C Taper 130x

Titlelist- SM8 52 12F, 56 12D, 60 10S, C Taper 130X 

Putters - Evenroll ER2 Black 35.5in 

I demo'd the MMCs and really like them, got great numbers. Before I place my order, a couple of questions for those of you who play them:

(I'm a 6 handicap, live on a tough, private golf course and play about 125 rounds a year. But at 72 my swing speed (97 with a driver) has slowed down for some reason 🙂  and I don't have the fine hand control that I'd like to have. But I'm still competitive and hate losing $2 Nassaus). Time to retire my blades and get something that produces better misses.

1.) Instead of a Modus shaft, my fitter asked me to try Nippon's new lighter N.S. Pro 950GH Neo shafts. Loved them, got great data: higher ball speeds and higher launch/spin. Anyone else try or buy them?  I was getting 7-iron ball speeds in the 106MPH range with the 95 gr. Nippon 950GH, while only 102ish with the Modus). Make sense to any of you who know a lot more about clubfitting than me?

2). I'm bummed that the MMC line doesn't have a Gap wedge. At my club I find myself with a lot of 95-100 yard approach shots (I hit my PW about 115) and I'd kind of like to have the same iron design/shaft in my hands for a full-swing with the Gap. I'd have to go to a 50* T20 Wedge for that shot and it's a big unknown that it would play the same. Anyone have this issue and suggestions? Well, let's also address the 85 yard shot: a 54* T20 wedge for full-swing shot? Any ideas/suggestions? I'm not good enough to feather a PW to various distances, I want to hit a full-swing for a best, controlled shot. Not until I get to within 50 yards do I have any level of success with a finesse shot.

Thanks in advance.

On 4/29/2020 at 5:56 AM, jetmech879 said:

You can’t go wrong with the MMCs! They are great all arounders! I have played the 18s and now the 20s and really would struggle to tell the difference performance wise. Looks and feel is a hands down win for the 20s. I have mine all set at 4 deg gapping from the 22 deg 4 iron to a 46 deg wedge and it works out perfectly. I also have the $taper blacks in 130X. Smooth as silk! I will be wearing the groves out of these irons before they are sold.

Side note I also have a MP 20 HMB/MB combo set that is really darn sweet too with Nippon Modus 125X shafts. I could easily combo in the blades but I really don’t see any benefit to do that. I will just most likely let them sit in the closet for the occasional weeks that I feel I need a change.

I knew i saw someone had done this with the lofts. Is the offset change noticeable in the 6,7,8 since those have to go 2 degrees weak?

Callaway Rougue ST LS Triple Diamond Tensei Raw First responders TX

Callaway Rogue ST LS 15 degree Ventus TR

Cobra RADSpeed Tour 19 Motore X F1

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 Hazard Smoke
New Level 902 PD 5-A Project X Catalyst 6.5 SS2

New Level SPN Milled 53 
Cleveland Tour Rack RTX Zipcore 58 DG GRIND
SWAG Savage AF Raw LA Golf SOHO

On 10/31/2020 at 7:29 PM, ryoustra5 said:

I have not felt one iron in my bag as being too big or offset in anyway. I was actually looking at them again the other day in a golf store and compared to the mb and some other really small head irons i said to myself, wow i cant believe i actually play these so well. Its true though... they are forgiving. Ive also hit many irons and by far from 4 to pw the mmc 20 the softest. I havent hit one shot on the face that has felt really terrible and yet i know weather ive hit it good or not. Very underrated irons.

• Like 1

On 7/1/2020 at 2:06 PM, tw7878 said:

suprising to hear. the 54s were pretty big. I would think the MMC would be less forgiving. Did you ever play MP53?

Hi there - no I did not.

I should caveat, that the MP20 properly struck are longer to me than the 54s.  But mishits (esp off the toe) on the 20s are brutal, as I unfortunately found out today.