2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

3-wood usage question

rwhitlock

Depends on the course. Last round I played I hit it two times both from the deck to reach par5 in two, both times I got the distance I wanted just a little of to the left. I hardly use it more than 5 times per round. 2-3 times per round is common for me.

Titleist TSR2 10 

Titleist 917 F2 5W

Ping 4h 5h

Vega 6-PW
Vega Alcor 50
Titleist SM 8 54
Fourteen RM4 58
Odyssey Eleven Tour Line S 

Was using my 3W once or zero times a round. Recently took the 3 wood out of the bag after making some developments in my game.

I am killing it with the driver right now. Found a setup that is taking the left side out and I have alot of confidence it in right now. No reason to hit the 3 wood off the tee on a tight fairway. My driver is more forgiving and accurate and of course longer.After years of searching, I found a hybrid set up that I like. 20* Apex 16 with AD DI 85s, shortened 1 inch, extra 6 grams in the head. Plays flatter because of the length reduction. Similar theme here where I have taken the left side out. Honestly, have trouble working the ball either way and it just shoots lasers, which I am more than okay with. Picked up a U85 driving iron that really suits me. AD DI 95s, and again just wants to go straight. The dry fairways here in Arizona run forever. If I have really tight fairway, or one of those par 4s with a considerable dog leg that makes you play short, I opt for the DI over any wood or hybrid off the tee.Now for the 3W, I've virtually eliminated any need to play it off the tee. And I'm not great hitting it off the deck. I opted for a more friendly high launch version with a little more loft and still struggled. I can deal with some thin and heavy shots that go straight but lose some distance, but too often for my liking I was topping the ball and just getting 30 yards out of it. Especially if the lie was a little off. That's just killer on a long par 5. Especially when I have gotten so good with my hybrid hitting 215 and dead straight. I've been quickly dropping my handicap by playing smart safe shots, and its hard to pull the 3 wood, even from 250 when I know a good shot is hole high. I'd rather avoid the top, avoid an errant bunker, avoid any forced carry, and just hit the hybrid straight in the fairway and take a 40 yard pitch to get on in 3.

My final solution was to pick up a 17* hybrid as a max distance club off the deck. Adams XTD Ti is legendary for distance. I'm seeing similar distances as my 3WHL 17*, but with much more consistent results. I'm creating much better contact with the shorter shaft and the club is much more friendly to a downward blow. Still experimenting with this, as I still really just use it maybe twice a round, but its kept the 3W in quarantine for a few months now.

PING G400 MAX 10*, Ventus Blue 6X

Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Wood - THE GOAT

Cobra F6 Baffler 17,5*, AD DI 8S

Cobra F7 Hybrid 21.5*, AD DI 95S

Srixon ZX5mk2 5, ZX7mk2 6-PW Modus 120x

50/54/60 Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore DG Spinner

I practice and use my strong 3 wood alot.My logic goes like this:

If the driver is too much, then it’s 3 wood.If 3 wood is is iffy, then it’s my 2 UDI.Nothing worse then intending to lay up with a 3 wood and actually drive it thru the fairway into the bunker or water.

Par 5s, I’ll go for it in two. I just like the opportunities for eagles; life’s too short for 3 shot par 5s. If you thin your 3 wood, your still getting on in 3 or pitching.

Four wood at 17* works well for me. Little more versatile from the fairway, rough, and even a bunker. Occasionally I’ll wish I had a three wood but over the long term, I’m better served by the ability to hit it well in a variety of playing situations.

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 8.5° A-1 setting Graphite Design YS-6+ 65g stiff

Wood:  Titleist 980F 17° Aldila NV stiff

Hybrid: Titleist 909H 21° Aldila Voodoo stiff 

Irons:  Titleist 716 AP2 4- W  DG AMT S300

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM7  54°,  58° DG S200

Putter:  Odyssey White Hot #1 Tour

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

1) Off the tee - normally - twice a round for two specific holes

2) When I've had too many white claws and need to be stupid and/or I'm angry I whiffed a drive

3) On one or two long Par 5's when I hit a drive into the rough and the ball is sitting pretty fluffy and I feel confident

besides that, not much.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

3W and 60* wedges are like insurance, don't use it very much, but glad you had it when you need it. Personally took out 60* because of lack of use. I'm not on Tour, I just play for fun. If not having a 60* cost me a stroke, o well?! I currently play 3W off the tee because of no driver. In the future, when I get a driver, I will replace the 3 for a 5W. Loft is your friend!

Ping Hoofer Lite

TM Qi10 10.5*

TM Qi10 4/7W

Mizuno 243 5-GW

Mizuno T24 54/S, 58/D

Mizuno OMOI #2

Mizuno RB Tour

Super Bowl LII Champions Fly Eagles Fly! 🦅

If I’m driving the ball well, probably twice a round. If I’m driving it poorly or playing in competition, usually 5-6 times a round. When I was in college there were many rounds I left the driver in the van and just hit my RBZ 3 wood off the tee. Best rounds I ever had - seriously!

Driver: TaylorMade QI10 9 degree Tour AD VF 6TX
Fairway: TaylorMade RBZ Tour 14.5 w/Tensei CK White 70TX

Hybrid: TaylorMade Rescue 11 18 degree X flex
Irons: New Level 623 CB w/Modus 105X
Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zip Core 52, 58 KBS 610 S+ 
Putter: Cobra Armlock
Ball: 2024 Bridgestone BX / 2024 Chrome Tour X

For me, at my home course, I am usually hitting the 3 wood no more than 3 times and each of those are from the tee depending on the conditions. There is one par 5 on my home course that I could use it as a second club if I have hit a poor drive but really, the green is so small and well protected with trees/gorse either side that it is just not worth the risk.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

For me, it really depends on the course. I enjoy hitting woods off the deck, and feel very comfortable with my short game inside of 100 yards, so I'm usually willing to go for it on a par 5 if getting on in 2 is possible. I also play a couple of courses in my area that has holes on the course where an errant shot with driver off the tee puts you in a hazard, but a poor 3 wood likely keeps you in play, so I also will often hit 3 wood off the tee 2+ times per round. All-in-all, I'd say I hit 3 wood an average of 4 times during a typical round of golf, but it could be as few as twice, and as many as 6-7 times between the tee and off the deck.

WITB (All Left-Handed):

Driver: Cobra F9 9 degrees (set at 8 degrees) w/Graphite Design Tour AD-IZ 6S

3 Wood: Taylormade Jetspeed 15 degree w/MItsubishi Diamana S+ 62 Stiff

5/7 Wood: Titleist 910F 19 degree (+1.5 degrees on SureFit Hosel) w/Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana Kai'Li 75 For Titleist

Irons: Mizuno MP-54 (4-PW) w/Nippon 1150 S

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM4 (50/8, 60/4), Taylormade Milled Grind (56/13) all w/TT Dynamic Gold S300

Putter: Cleveland Classic HB 1 Face Milled

I'm going into my ninth season using some sort of 4W + 7W setup. Even with extra rollout, 240 yards is about limit on my drives. So, I end up hitting a FW about six times a round: four from fairway, maybe a couple from the tee. (I mostly tee off with a driver, unless it would carry through the landing area on a short hole).
As per @Old Tom Morris, I find the 4W more reliable than a 3W. Several studies indicate the average golfer can hit the 4W more reliably - and sometimes longer - than a 3W. A little extra loft and a slightly shorter shaft improve launch and clean hits. At a golf expo a few years back, the Tour Edge rep had us hit new models of the Exotics FWs. As it turned out, a couple of the really big hitters could hit a 4W longer than a 3W. (RW, I assume you're a long hitter).
Advice: Do a 3W and 4W side-by-side and see which works best.
I talked to our club pro on FWs, and he said the average pro or competition amateur hits a 3W off the deck maybe once a round. Similar to what others have said this thread.

• Like 2

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

On average at the courses I play most regularly, maybe a couple times a round. It's probably my least used club.

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

I am having driver issues right now, so I will rarely use my driver. I use my 3W as my off-the-tee club on everything but par 3's and the occasional par 4. And, because I play some very long par 5's, I'll use it a few times off the deck.

Driver: TaylorMade SIM 8* (standard setting) with MCA Tensei AV Raw Orange 75TX at 44.5"
3W: TaylorMade M5 15* (standard setting) with Oban Devotion 8 O5 at 42"
Hybrid: PXG Gen 2 0317X 19* (standard setting) with Oban Kiyoshi Purple Hybrid O5 at 39.5"
4i-9i: Callaway '18 Apex MB's with KBS C-Taper 130X at 1/4" long
46: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
50: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
54: Callaway JAWS MD5 8C
58: Callaway JAWS MD5 8W
Putter: Kari Lajosi Custom DD201WB

These threads keep coming and folks never seem to come to a set conclusion. So, here's the deal. Fairway Woods (3w included) are to fill gaps just like irons. We have a max distance that we hit the driver and go down from there. If you CAN'T hit your driver reliably and CAN hit your 3w, then the 3w is your max distance club. When choosing FWs for your set, first consider if you know how to hit one. If not, you will probably be better off with a hybrid. FWs require a slightly descending blow much like a hybrid or long iron. However, most amateurs I see on the course are trying to "help" the ball in the air when playing a FW. Hence the tops and sculls and other poor shots they mention in these threads. IMHO, buying a FW for exclusive tee use is a waste because you're eventually going to need to hit that yardage from the deck anyway. So why not get one that works for both. Personally, I never hit FWs from a tee, even in the teeing area. I play them down because I HAVE to play them down in the fairway and hitting them two different ways doesn't make sense to me. Again, MY OPINION ONLY!

Once you KNOW that FWs are for you, then choosing one is simply finding the lofts that fit your swing and your bag. Don't get caught up in 3w, 4w, etc. Go with the loft(s) that work best for your bag. I typically carry two FWs set at 14.5* (approx. 225 carry) and 17.5* (approx 215 carry. They give me the trajectories I want and fill the long end of my bag perfectly by falling in line with my 4i (next longest club @ 205). However, you REALLY need to look at your swing AND swingspeed when choosing the loft of the FWs. Many think since they want the longest 3w they can get and they go out and get a 13* loft (or lower) deep faced model. These are typically fine when using a tee, but can be difficult to elevate off the deck without sufficient swingspeed OR if you tend to deloft the club at contact. I HIGHLY recommend demoing FWs off grass if at all possible before buying. Elevating a FW off a mat is far easier than off turf and launch trajectory very often is different.

Finally, if you find you're not using a club (FW or whatever!) much where you play, by all means, take it out of the bag and replace it with something you DO need. Build your bag to suit your game and the course(s) you play. I often carry different clubs when I travel down South or out West because the course conditions call for something different. I sometimes use my 3w several times in a round and sometimes not at all. I use it from the teeing ground quite often if I want to stay short of a hazard or if I have a heavy tailwind. I use it from the fairway when I need that distance. With a heavy tailwind, I find the increased spin of my 3w will allow it to fly as far or sometimes further than my driver.

BT

• Like 1

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

On my home course, I'll tee off with the 3W about 4 to 6 times a round (depending on conditions) and normally don't hit it off the deck. My home course (blue tees) is tight but not overly long (6700 yards) and good shots with the driver can get hosed on some of the par 4's (bad hops, weird lies). On the par 4's (and one par 5), I've found I score better (significantly) using the 3W off the tee.

On most other courses, maybe 1-2 times off the tee, and maybe once or twice a round off the deck (long par 5's). Played a 590 yard par 5 last weekend and went driver, 3W to about 10 yards short of the green. Pretty happy with that!

-ZA

TM SIM 9.0 with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X

TM SIM 15 deg 3W with Project X Smoke Green S

TM SIM2 3H with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 9X

TM M3 4H with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 9X

TM P790 5i with KBS $-Taper 120

TM P760 6-PW with KBS $-Taper 120

TM Hi Toe 50, 55 & 60 with DG S300

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5 

A number of good posts here. One thing to consider is how does it fit in your game. I went the 4w/7w path years ago. My driver is currently MIA and the 4w is what I tee off with. I play just 9 holes a lot and will hit it close to 7 times. Five tee shots and off the deck at least twice. There's a long par 4 which is 4w/4w and a par 5 that I can almost reach in 2 with 4w/4w. This will change if I get my driver back in play but for me the 4w is the most hit club in my bag after my putter. Though if I get the driver working, I'll be moving back a set of tees and will be using the 4w off the deck still.

I don't currently carry a 3W. I don't like to waste a spot in the bag for how limited a club it is for my game (5 handicap, low-90's driver speed). I'd bet those of you who carry a 3W, but rarely use it, could probably think of another club you might carry that would help your game more.

I use a 16* hybrid (Exotics XCG) in the "2nd longest" role for a bunch of reasons:

Most days, I have decent control of my driver, and am comfortable backing off to 90% to hit narrow fairways. I don't hit 3W off the tee better than I do that 90% driver, and the hybrid easily gets me out to that 90% driver distance, so there is no gap for a 3W to fill.I have found that, for me, a 2" shorter shaft is easier to control, but just doesn't cost that much distance in itself. I am using a titanium cup-face hybrid though, so its closer to a technological fair fight than it would be with a steel faced hybrid. I hit the hybrid more consistently in the middle of the face, so I feel I can really go after it when I need "as long as possible" from the deck. I know for sure that I am hitting my 3rd shots into my unreachable Par 5's from as close, or closer, to the green with the hybrid as I ever did when playing any 3W. So I am not giving up any strokes using the hybrid for the "long-layup" job vs. a 3W. I have better control of trajectory, direction and shot shape with the hybrid, which makes it very valuable for the longest Par 3's I play, and for coming into Par 5 greens in two. Compared to a fairway wood, I find that it's easier to keep the hybrid low under tree branches and easier to hit out of fairway bunkers, and the hybrid is generally much more usable from the rough and from uneven lies.

Taylormade M5 9* w/Prolaunch Blue 45
Taylormade Stealth 3HL 16.5* w/Proforce V2 65 
Taylormade M2 5HL 21* w/Proforce V2 65
Adams Pro Mini Hybrids: 23*, 26* w/VS Proto 95
Srixon Zx65 Combo Irons (Z565 6, Z765 7-9, Z965 PW) w/TT AMT Black
Vokeys: SM7 52-12F, SM7 58-12D, WedgeWorks 60-10V (at 62-12), all w/Pro Modus3 115 Wedge
Odyssey DXF Doublewide

I have gone the mini driver route. I have my driver setup so it (almost) never goes left. I want my 3 wood to go almost as far as my driver, but lets me play a draw. Never hit it off the deck. Have played with the idea of having two drivers, draw driver and fade driver. I think it would be awesome.

Cobra Aerojet LS 10.5* - Hzrdus Black Gen 4 60 6.5 / Aerojet LS 3 - AD TP 7X / SZ Tour 5 - AD TP 8X / Apex 21 4H - AD IZ 95X / Cobra Tour 5-P, RTX6 50 M KBS $ Taper HT S+ / 56F - KBS 610S / 60M KBS Hi Rev 2.0 S/ White Hot OG #7 CH / Maxfli Tour