Covid Practice Plans (Green Building -- please tell me I'm not nuts!)

2 hours ago, DLiver said:

I agree 100% with @nel55. I have had many nets over the years, and they always develop a hole (I only hit irons). After a while, I starting hanging a large towel right in front of the net and that solved the problem. The towel took the brunt of the force and was easy to reposition if it got worn.

LOL yes I have used towels, tee shirts, pieces of net, duct tape and who knows what over the years.  I bought an expensive projection screen when I first did my skytrak setup and holed that in about a year.  I tried all sorts of patches on it and then gave up and went with the canvas painter's tarp.  It seems that the looser the material the more chance it has to survive.  My current strategy is to have a the big (and more expensive) tarp fairly tight and then a sacrificial small tarp hanging limp in front of the big one.  Seems to work pretty well and last a long time.  It is not the greatest as a projection screen but I can see the image well enough...

Anyway I believe that the closer you are to the net the faster it gets holed.  As close as the OP is to the net and as good a player as he is I would not expect that net to last very long.  I think that it is the backspin on iron shots that does the netting in.  I do not believe that net will take 250k hits with a full seven iron into the same spot!

Driver Maltby KE4 w Aeortech Steelfiber SS65 shaft 46.5”
3 wood Rogue subzero 15 degree with Paderson KG70 F30
Hybrids: 3, 4 and 5 Rogue with Steelfiber HLS980 shaft
Irons: 6 through wedge PXG 0311 with Steelfiber i110cw shaft
Wedge: 50 deg 10 deg bounce MacDaddy 4 S Grind
Wedge: 56 deg 10 deg bounce Jaws S Grind
Wedge: 62 deg 10 deg bounce MacDaddy 4 C Grind (bent to 62 degrees from 60 degrees)
Wedges with steelfiber i110 shafts.
Putter: Strokelab EXO 7; 39.25 inches; 77 degree lie angle; Takimac arthritic grip

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Today I read through this thread from the beginning as a look back on my spring / summer.  A couple things stood out....First, I thought that the Covid Social Distancing would only be a month or so...

My girls asked to play on the green after school today.  For now all I have done is give them a putter and shown them how to hold onto it.  My youngest is 4 years old and my oldest is 8 years old.  It

Nice, sounds like a lot of work.  What are you preventing against with the fungicide this time of year?  I haven't put any down yet but wondering if I should.  I mowed again last night and the bare sp

Posted Images

Today my friend dropped off a makeshift stimpmeter that he made from some scraps at work.  I gave it a quick test and it averaged out at 7 feet.  It's early yet and I still have some height of cut adjustments to make but I'm pretty happy.  The thing is, it's not much different speed wise than the clubs I normally play around here so I don't have much further to take it.  Also, it's been dry here lately and no rain expected until a trace amount Sunday.  I decided to give it some water tonight.  It was even a bit hydrophobic, (notice the puddles), so it looks like I'll have to add baby shampoo to my grocery list!

20210512_201756.jpg

20210512_210303.jpg

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, DennyJones said:

Really?  What is the purpose of the shampoo?  How do you apply it?   I'm intrigued.  

Helps avoid crying after missed putts? 

• Haha 1

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Toski 4w 16* w/ DG S300

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Odyssey White Hot XG #1 w/ SuperStroke jumbo

14 hours ago, DennyJones said:

Really?  What is the purpose of the shampoo?  How do you apply it?   I'm intrigued.  

Baby shampoo has surfactants in it and the rest of the formula is basically items to balance the PH level.  The surfactant breaks the surface tension of the water to allow it to soak through the canopy of the grass and into the soil a little easier.  When the green gets hydrophobic, (water puddles and runs off instead of soaking in), I spray about 4oz of baby shampoo per 1000 sq ft through a hose end sprayer before I water.  I do it a couple times per month and use baby shampoo because wetting agents and surfactants are hard to come by for a homeowner.

• Like 4

That green looks fantastic!

• Like 2

PXG  9* 0811 X  Hazardous Smoke Yellow 60g Stiff

Wishon 929HS 3W  Wishon Black 65g Stiff

Wishon 775HS  3 hybrid  Wishon Black Hybrid Stiff

PXG 0211 5-9  DG 105 Regular

Wishon 575MMC  9-A  Wishon Superlight Stiff

Ping Glide 3.0  54*  Z-115 Wedge shaft

Ping Glide 3.0  60*  Z-115 Wedge shaft

PING Anser 3 Goose Neck Putter   

Cool topic. I am 6 weeks into a 777 Bent project. 6 weeks after seed down that is. 6 months of prep. Sub base drainage, irrigation upgrade, and 23 tons of fairway grade sand for 6” root zone. Great growth over the past 4 weeks. Cut 4 time already and first app of PGR. Currently cut at .50” and I think it is ready to slowly bring down the HOC. My question is the preventive fungicide applications. I read someone was throwing down fungicide every 2 weeks. That seems crazy but I am still learning about turf management at HOC’s .25” and lower. I have been growing Two Putt Poa in my front yard for 3 years but when started to plan for this extensive Reno folks suggested Bent for better Fungus tolerance. Any other information for my education would be great. 

1 hour ago, Tyler Olsen said:

Cool topic. I am 6 weeks into a 777 Bent project. 6 weeks after seed down that is. 6 months of prep. Sub base drainage, irrigation upgrade, and 23 tons of fairway grade sand for 6” root zone. Great growth over the past 4 weeks. Cut 4 time already and first app of PGR. Currently cut at .50” and I think it is ready to slowly bring down the HOC. My question is the preventive fungicide applications. I read someone was throwing down fungicide every 2 weeks. That seems crazy but I am still learning about turf management at HOC’s .25” and lower. I have been growing Two Putt Poa in my front yard for 3 years but when started to plan for this extensive Reno folks suggested Bent for better Fungus tolerance. Any other information for my education would be great. 

Are you friends with a golf course superintendent. They can help tremendously. I do preventative fungicide every 21 days but I'm still learning.

• Like 1
On 5/24/2021 at 12:21 PM, Tyler Olsen said:

Every two weeks is right. On my bentgrass green I apply Ipro2 and Fosetyl-Al every 2 weeks and every 4 weeks I mix in azoxystrobin. A bit of $$ up front but it's a few years supply for my 1500sf green.

Just now, Barfolomew said:

Shepley is that a road at the end of your place..... cause if so do you know how many guys' brains you've F'd up?!?! 

"Honey I need that too!"  "No way Harry!!"

It is a road. My house sits in the back corner of my property and the green is in the corner between my lane and the road.  I figured I'd have more 'randos' stopping to snoop around but so far it's been pretty quiet. It's a rural farm road though so most of the traffic is more interested in scouting the corn and bean fields than lawns. 

6 minutes ago, DShepley said:

It is a road. My house sits in the back corner of my property and the green is in the corner between my lane and the road.  I figured I'd have more 'randos' stopping to snoop around but so far it's been pretty quiet. It's a rural farm road though so most of the traffic is more interested in scouting the corn and bean fields than lawns. 

Oh if I lived around you we'd be buds for sure hahaha.... I'll bring the beers

I try and like my own posts but can't figure out how...

Watching grass grow...

...and pints.

• Like 1

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Toski 4w 16* w/ DG S300

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Odyssey White Hot XG #1 w/ SuperStroke jumbo

5 hours ago, Barfolomew said:

Then you're officially a Country Club!

Hey Barf, speaking of Country Clubs just a couple of days ago I got invited to play this crummy snobatorium!

NoMogsAllowedBushwood.jpg.03841e7cc190f24963ad1f19b6ee04b2.jpg

• Haha 1

Driver Maltby KE4 w Aeortech Steelfiber SS65 shaft 46.5”
3 wood Rogue subzero 15 degree with Paderson KG70 F30
Hybrids: 3, 4 and 5 Rogue with Steelfiber HLS980 shaft
Irons: 6 through wedge PXG 0311 with Steelfiber i110cw shaft
Wedge: 50 deg 10 deg bounce MacDaddy 4 S Grind
Wedge: 56 deg 10 deg bounce Jaws S Grind
Wedge: 62 deg 10 deg bounce MacDaddy 4 C Grind (bent to 62 degrees from 60 degrees)
Wedges with steelfiber i110 shafts.
Putter: Strokelab EXO 7; 39.25 inches; 77 degree lie angle; Takimac arthritic grip