GP Cord Users: Tour Velvet Cord, MCC or Z-Grip?

For those who are Golf Pride cord users, do you prefer Tour Velvet Cord, MCC or Z-Grip and why? Which have you found most durable and offering the best performance?

Taylormade M3 8.5* Driver
Callaway Apex 20* Hybrid
Taylormade UDI 2-Iron
Taylormade P760 4-AW w/ PX 6.5
Cleveland RTX-3 55*/60*
Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport Mil-Spec

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was a long time Lamkin crossline cord user, got some iBlades and they came with a ribbed TVC and I started to like the rib so I have stuck with those over the last 1.5yrs. I think they are a great grip and if you clean them every now and then you will get a good life span out of them. You get good traction without them being overly harsh. I have played the MMC and Z-Grips in the past. MMC are very solid and I think the ALIGN versions are really good. The Z-Cord to me was my least favorite, found it to be a very firm feeling grip, hasher cord and they tended to dry out and harden quicker than the others. In order I would say TVC(by a good margin), MMC and then Z-Cord.

Driver: Tour Issue SIM 9* w/Aldila Rogue White 70TX

3 Wood: Tour Issue M6 w/Tensei Pro Blue 70TX

Hyrbid: TS2 17* w/Ventus Blue 8X

Taylormade 3 UDI w/Graphite Design Tour AD DI 105x

Irons: Ping iBlades 4-PW w/Project X 6.5

Wedges: SM8 Raw 52F & 58T grind w/Project X 6.0

Putter: Custom Slighter Tacoma

I have not been able to kick out the NDMC out of my bag. For me only, I like the 'soft' rubber with a 'firm' cord. I have used Z cord & TVC from GP and lamkin players cord and crossline cords in the past but I find them too firm that I feel they'll "slip" if you can understand that. And I do wash and clean my grips.

Hope that helps

10.5* Cobra SZ Xtreme (PX EF White T1100) 
14.5* Ping G410 (GD Di 7)
17.5 * Ping G410 5w (EF Black) 
22* Ping G410 (MRC Tensei CK Pro Blue) 
26* ZU85 (Accra SE 90) or 5i Z585 (Nippon modus 105)
6i-9i Srixon 585 (Modus 105)
P-AW Srixon 785 (Modus 120)
56* 60* Mizuno MP T5 (DG spinner)
Ping Cadence Ketsch TR 
Pro V1 or Z star; GP NDMC; Titleist Players glove; Ping Hoofer lite or Ping Pioneer with Clicgear 3.5+

Tour Velvet Cord (BCT), and it’s not that close. The .60 core weighs 50.5 grams and NDMC .60 core weighs 46-46.5, most people wouldn’t think 4 grams makes a big difference but it does for me. Life span tour velvet cords should last much longer than NDMC’s. Do not like the feel of Z Cords at all so I couldn’t tell much about them.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9* w/Fujikura Ventus Blue 6x

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15* w/GD Tour AD TP 7x

Callaway Apex hybrid 18* w/GD Tour AD IZ 85x

Callaway X Forged UT 21* w/PX 6.0

Callaway X Forged 5-PW w/PX 6.0

Titleist SM7 50F, 54S, Cally MD4 58X w/PX6.0

Toulon Austin w/Stability Tour shaft

Srixon Z Star XV ball

For me my favorite is the Z-cord. I love the rough and firm texture. It's also very durable. I play 2-3x a week for most of the year and I only have to change grips once a year. The Z-cords are also unbeatable in the rain. The Tour Velvet Cord BCT is a close second. It feels better in hand than the Z-cord but not as durable. MCC's are great.....for a month. The durability is a huge question mark.

Sim Max 9* Accra TZ5 M5 65

Sim Rocket 14* Fujikura Speeder TR 757x 

Tour Issued Sim Ti 18.2* Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 8x

New Level 902 Forged 4-PW DG Tour Issue x100

Mizuno T20 Raw 50/10, 55/8,  59/6 DG Tour Issue s400

EVNROLL ER2B 

TVC is the best all round. MCC is good but can be tough for me with sweaty hands in the summer. Z Cord is the best at handling moisture of any grip I’ve played, but is firm and rough on the hands.

Titleist TS3 9.5 Diamana BF 60x Taylormade M5 14* Evenflow Black 75g 6.0 | Ping G410 19* Tour 85x | Srixon z785 4-PW C-Taper Lite X Titleist Vokey SM7 50F 56S 60SBlue Slate, Modus 125s | Lajsoi DD201 Longneck | Taylormade TP5x Yellow

I most prefer the old Tour Velvet Cords, before they went to the BCT (Brushed Cotton Technology) design. I even hoarded one set's worth of Titleist branded versions of the old TV cords. However, the BCT TV cords are still really good and my favorite of the current cord grips. They're not quite as durable as the old ones, but offer slightly more tack.

Z cords are probably my second favorite. They're closer to the old TV cords, but can be pretty rough on the hands.

I'm personally not a big fan of the MCC, since the lower rubber part can tend to get slick much quicker than the cord portion. Also, I prefer having a consistent grip feel even if I choke up on the club. I can see the appeal of wanting a hybrid grip though.

The Lamkin Crossline Cord is also pretty underrated. They're maybe even more cord-like than the Z cords, and probably the best in the rain. I found they had almost no tack to them however, so that put them below the TV cords for me.

TaylorMade SLDR 10.5˚, Kuro Kage Proto TiNi 70X
TaylorMade R7 TP 17.5˚, GD Prototype Model 902X OR TaylorMade SLDR 17˚ Kuro Kage Black Proto 80X
Titleist 712U 3i, Nippon Modus3 120X
Miura CB-501 (4, 5) & Miura MB-001 (6-PW), Nippon Modus3 120X
Miura Wedge Series 51˚, Nippon Modus3 120X
Fourteen RM-12 56˚, 60˚
Odyssey Tank Cruiser V-Line, Garsen Max

Is there a significant different in vibration dampening between the ZGrip and TV BCT? I guess the actual surface is tougher but is there a perceivable difference in terms of harshness otherwise?

Callaway Apex 20* Hybrid
Taylormade UDI 2-Iron
Cleveland RTX-3 55*/60*

The TV Cord BCT should technically have a little bit more vibration dampening than the Z Cord since I think the actual Tour Velvet compound is a bit softer and more shock absorbent. In actual use, I did find the TV cord to be less harsh than the Z cord, but it wasn't a huge difference in my opinion.

TaylorMade SLDR 10.5˚, Kuro Kage Proto TiNi 70X
TaylorMade R7 TP 17.5˚, GD Prototype Model 902X OR TaylorMade SLDR 17˚ Kuro Kage Black Proto 80X
Titleist 712U 3i, Nippon Modus3 120X
Miura CB-501 (4, 5) & Miura MB-001 (6-PW), Nippon Modus3 120X
Miura Wedge Series 51˚, Nippon Modus3 120X
Fourteen RM-12 56˚, 60˚
Odyssey Tank Cruiser V-Line, Garsen Max

OP- only way to know for sure is to order 1 of each grip, throw each grip on a backup/practice club and test away.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9* w/Fujikura Ventus Blue 6x

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15* w/GD Tour AD TP 7x

Callaway Apex hybrid 18* w/GD Tour AD IZ 85x

Callaway X Forged UT 21* w/PX 6.0

Callaway X Forged 5-PW w/PX 6.0

Titleist SM7 50F, 54S, Cally MD4 58X w/PX6.0

Toulon Austin w/Stability Tour shaft

Srixon Z Star XV ball

BCT is just a fantastic grip. I have played Z and MCC as well. Z lasts a long time, I love the grip, but I play in the cold and it's just too firm at >40*. If you are at 60-70*+ they are great. MCC wears a way too quick. Cleaning helps, but I also just prefer a uniform grip as I choke down often. BCT has best blend of traction, durability and comfort.

Ping Hoofer:

ST200 10.5 Diamana D+ 60S 

ST200 3W Diamana D+ 70S

X2Hot 3H

U-45 DI 23˚

Z-745 5-PW DG S300

RTX-4 50M/56F/60L

(GP BCT 58R)

Toulon Las Vegas H7 - Lamkin Deep Etch

BCT Cord by a long shot for me. Played MCC but didn't like how the lower hand got slick very quick. Switched to a full cord grip and have never gone back. The BCTs are firm but have the softness of the tour velvet which is a great balance IMO. After a while they will get slick too (like all grips) but with these, a good cleaning with liberal brushing brings the cord out a bit and they are good to go. Tried the Z grip a couple times, just didn't get along with it. Too firm and a lot more tacky than I was used to (don't like the feeling of my hand sticking to the grip).

Titleist TS3 - TPO 70TX

Titleist 913 - Diamana W 80X

Titleist 718 TMB - MMT 125TX

Mizuno MP18 - TTDG X100

Vokey SM7 52.12F, 56.14F - TTDG S400

Taylormade HiToe 60 - TTDG S400

SC California Del Mar

Definitely. Wasn't until about 18 months that I noticed some clubs getting slick. This was mostly on the wedges as they were used more. But they cleaned very well after that. Soapy water and the wire end of my club brush brought them back to life

Titleist TS3 - TPO 70TX

Titleist 913 - Diamana W 80X

Titleist 718 TMB - MMT 125TX

Mizuno MP18 - TTDG X100

Vokey SM7 52.12F, 56.14F - TTDG S400

Taylormade HiToe 60 - TTDG S400

SC California Del Mar

Played 6 months with MCC, like them but just could not get used to the lower half of the grip, felt "odd" to me. Played Z-Cord on a set and felt very firm and rough. Very aggressive grip, wasn't a fan of it on all the clubs, however I do use them on my wedges (52/56/60). Keeps my hands stable on partial shots.

I typically used tour velvets, my go to grip. Just received a set of BCT from golf pride and installing them later today. But so far, I actually like the feel, not as rough as the older version (TVC) but with more "tack". We'll see how they feel once I get them installed.

SIM 9.75* - Diamana DF 60x | Cobra Tour 15* - Diamana D+ 70X | Cobra Tour 19* - Diamana D+ 80X | T100 4-PW X100 SS | RTX4 50/54/58 S400 | NP2 Button Back

I've used MCC midsize with the bottom hand built up to remove the the taper (don't like the +4) for a few years and can't picture changing anytime soon. Now that the TVC is available in midsize again, I might consider it but I dont see a need to change. They've been durable but I don't play as much as most guys around here, only about once or twice a month...just give them a good scrub after each round and they stay tacky.

I use the NDMC on my woods and actually just ordered them in midsize to go on some irons I’m building, so I can’t comment how they are on irons, but as far as on my woods, they’re great. I have a problem with my left hand slipping when it’s wet out (righty golfer), so they help with that but I enjoy the rubber at the bottom. I don’t like the +4 though, just feels weird.

Thanks for all the feedback. Leaning toward giving the Z-Grip Midsize a try. Put one on my hybrid to test out and it felt pretty good. I like NDMC and don't mind the two different compounds but I do wish the lower hand was a bit firmer.

Callaway Apex 20* Hybrid
Taylormade UDI 2-Iron
Cleveland RTX-3 55*/60*