Testing Srixon Z-Star 4,6 vs B330S

I walked nine today with the idea of seeing how much the golf ball matters-

I have a stock of balls including the last version of B330S before it became the Tour BX S

The last Z-Star that the box looked like Hideki designed it

The most recent iteration of the Z-Star 2019

It's about 78 degrees and breezy.

I'm a single digit player that looks a lot like Bert from Sesame Street.

What I found is the following:

1) The older version of the Z-star does not go as far as the newest version (I already knew that) but this sample just re-confirmed it.

2) The newer Z-Star and the B330-s were very close in distance (like 2-3 yards) with the edge going to the Srixon (surprised by this)

3) The B330-s moves more side to side as a rule, but is less affected by the wind on the whole- I had several shots into a wind that I was surprised how much distance was retained. Incidentally, I have found the Bridgestone RX to be the same- It's actually really surprising sometimes- today I hit a drive into a stout wind- I was out there pretty good. Then I hit 3-wood and on this hole there is a pond on either side of the fairway- IT's about a 30 yard wide area of fairway and you really have to clock it to clear the entire pond(s). Well I overcooked a draw and about midway I thought- it's wet- for sure! But it cleared the pond on the left by a lot. Without wind as a factor the Srixon and B330-s were distance wise.

4) my experience with Srixon balls in general is that they are all about consistency- which has allowed me to dial in distances with irons with great confidence. They tend not to be the longest balls compared to ProV1, etc...

5) I don't like the feel of the B330-S I believe this was a 4 Piece ball and to me it's a hard ball with a soft cover. I believe this iteration is for people who swing hard (I'm just below 105 Driver SS on average).

6) There really is something in my opinion to the aerodynamics of the dimple pattern of the Bridgestone balls.

It was kind of refreshing to know that I could play either and be fine.

I'm about to get a couple dozen of the 2018 B RX to see how they fare.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've actually found Srixon balls to be some of the longest off the tee for me, not a ton obviously maybe 5 yards as most when struck perfectly.

I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Lefty WITB

Driver: 9° Ping G410 Plus - Tour 65S

3W: 13.5° Ping G410 LST - Aldila NV 2KXV Green 75X

3H: 19° Ping - Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: 4i - 7i Srixon 585 / 8i - PW Srixon 785 - AMT Tour White S300

Wedges: 51° MD3 - 56° Glide 2 - 60° PM2

Putter(s): TP Mills Handmade - SIK Pro Tour Proto - MannKrafted MA/66 LN - and more.