Has Scotty Cameron lost his Mojo

RodrigoNicely

Right! There is something about being able to go into a golf equipment store and walk out with a putter. Most golfers have little to no idea about customizing specifications but know the temptation of impulse buy. We've all been there and sometimes still are. Cheers!

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

The first Scotty I ever held was a Sante Fe TeI3 circa 1996 and I gamed it until I found my 009 (10years). I still play one because it fits me like my favorite air of old jeans. So, I've been bagging one of these two putters for the past quarter century, 95% of the time. I play a Bettinardi flow neck prototype when the winter weather is really wet and nasty. So while I still bag a Scotty, I think he lost his "mojo" 15 or so years ago.

Having said that, I think a lot of folks fail to consider how large his brand is globally. At one time his Japanese accounts exceeded his US accounts (monetarily). As the game continues to expand, so will he. In all honesty the last thing I bought new was a Mil-Spec, however long that's been. The Cameron brand still totes a lot of water in places outside GolfWRX. The general public sees golfs largest icon still using one and that is good enough for most of the un/mis-informed, outside of Wrx.

• Like 1

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

I don’t think Scotty lost anything. I’ve had customs made by Byron, David Mills, and had some Bettinardis and other boutiques. Nothing from the most recent crop of putter makers like Swag or Lamb or Olson. I still game a Scotty and will most likely buy another Scotty before going to the others. Nothing against the others as they make incredible putters. I just find that I can scoop up a Scotty for a good deal and move it along if I don’t want it with minimal to no loss and very quickly.

Variety is a great thing and I love looking at

other brands to see what they do differently. I’m just not a headcover guy so whether Club Cameron keeps throwing out whiffs, or Swag keeps bringing the heat it would entice not detract me from a brand because I’m just looking for a great putter.

Taylormade SIM2 MAX 9* AutoFlex 505xx 

Taylormade SIM 5 RIP X 85TX

Srixon ZX 20* Recoil 95X

Srixon ZX5 4-6 DGTI X100

Srixon ZX7 7-PW DGTI X100
Taylormade MG2 TW 52/56/60 S400 TI
Kevin Burns 9305LN LAGP One35

I have a SC Studio Design 1 & 3 and love them both. I found the 1 on Ebay a couple of years ago in excellent condition and I don't think it saw many rounds - I have been playing this one. The 3 was my original gamer and has some wear, no bag nicks because I take care of them. Just wear from course moisture, sand on the bottom etc. I was on the SC website yesterday debating if I should get it refinished.

I see the custom putters on his website and they are pretty nice, but who can justify spending $2500+ for a putter. That's insane. As for the Circle T - what does this get you? My $250.00 SC from 2001 is probably better with better feel. Nothing about any of his new putters excites me and they all look and feel blah.

I agree - SC has lost the MOJO.

Scotty is fine. I'd love his bank account, good lord, that's a lot of watches and sports cars and vacation villas

Outside of Wrx he IS THE BRAND that the general public drools over. All the boutique brands are not in green grass golf shops and Golf Town so it leaves little on the high end competition wise for the masses

And I will say if you ever get to the PGA show, he and Vokey cause quite a stir in the Titleist booth, and this is from folks in the industry

Scotty was also very nice to me and my twin at the show, watched me roll multiple putts, commented on my stroke … and even made model and neck recommendations (flow neck FWIW) from what he saw. LOVED IT !!!!

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

Everything SC puts his name on flies out the door. The only exception may be mallets. Are there other people that do almost the same thing? Yes. Are they cheaper? Yes. But the SC love is strong. I'm guilty of it.

WITB

Titleist TSi2 9º w/ Ventus Blue 7-TX

Titleist 915F 16.5º w/ Ventus Black 8-X

Callaway Apex UW 17º w/ Hazardous Smoke

Callaway Apex UW 21º w/ Hazardous Smoke

6-43º Titleist T400 w/ DG AMT Red

48º Vokey SM6, 54º Vokey SM8 Raw, 60º SM9 Raw

Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Masterful Tourtype SSS CT A048277

I've found that most guys that need to have that custom putter still don't putt any better or worse. They just like to have that cool factor. Nothing wrong with that at all. Putters are accessories in the bag... decoration

I've collected a bunch of scotties through the years and owned bettinardi as well. I say just find one you like to look at that matches your stroke and have fun.

PXG Black Ops Tour driver 

PXG g5 3 wood

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid

TaylorMade Qi10 5 wood

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade MG4 46/52/58wedges

Bettinardi BB1 putter

Yes, I knew they worked together on the tei3 and it was mostly Bob's doing. They had a pretty bad break up but honestly, who in the golf industry hasn't Scotty burned bridges with, haha. Bob and his son (Sam, I think) are doing quite well for themselves these days. Anytime you can sell people a $2400 putter (they don't know anything about beforehand) in under 1 minute you are doing something right.

Rob, I know, I know. Tiger's putter is 326g. Very light. And I would normally love that the tei3 is 330g but where I live it's windy. It's windy 50% or more of the time I play. So the need for a heavier putter is definitely there for me. Luckily, your fellow down under patron, Kari is setting me up with everything I need right now! What an outstanding guy to work with.

I believe it was Bettinardi who was the first person to mill a one piece plumber's neck putter. Bettinardi started to work with Cameron when he left Mizuno and started Cameron Golf International in 1992. It may have been Cameron who envisioned his take on timeless classics (I have no issue with that) but it was Bettinardi who provided the expertise in machining to exact precision. On a side note, it's funny how there is never a mention of Cameron also learning how to use a mill from Byron Morgan. Interesting.

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

I have 4 SC’s from 2013 and before. He lost me when those aluminium putters came out. I’m still to try the new Select series but with the virus thing, it is “you touch it, you buy it”. Anyway, in the meantime I found boutique putter makers that can produce custom wonders at a much better price.

GSS is a trademark, it could be German SS, Galactic SS or anything else because those letters are a trademark, not an official acronym. So marketing has a big influence on it with the goal of maximising profits.

Putters are so personal that it is very difficult to accurately say that you’ll get the best results with a SC or any other. There is a big subjective influence plus many other parameters. Undoubtedly SC had produced beautiful and legendary flatsticks plus the GOAT putter aka Tiger’s which helped the brand. SC will be around for a while, fans will continue buying and speaking about his products and he will continue charging whatever he wants for those gallery items.

Cameron will always be an icon in the putter business. He may have seemed to have lost his way recently but he's done some good stuff over the years.. and some bad. I think all this comes down to now is the consumer being more educated and having more options. I have never owned a Circle T, just regular OTR or minimally modified Camerons. I have owned Byrons and lately some Lajosi putters. I have to say, even Byrons putter prices are looking ridiculous for what Kari can build, nevermind Scotty. As years go on I think more and more people will look to find value in something custom and too many other guys are doing what Scotty does for a fraction of the price. I don't think it's necessarily Scotty that is in his own way, just other guys making some REALLY quality stuff at MUCH better prices.

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

Why can’t he just make a putter somewhat like the old ones? You know, a carbon putter with a beautiful finish. Light fly milling and a great feel.

My beef with the guy is that his marketing out weighs his product. He saves the best, that is really no harder to manufacture, for only those willing to pay outrageous prices. His prerogative I know, I just find it irritating to the point I will not buy his putters. Hope he makes a billion more dollars, but he won’t get any of mine.

Most golfers, maybe. However, there are some of us who understand putting, our own stroke, release, optimal loft to get the ball rolling based on stroke, that a custom putter and fitting does benefit. I would like to think that I might fall in that line. Just like irons and woods, proper fitting only benefits the club and its effectiveness. That's my opinion at least. Cheers.

• Like 1

If a custom putter is one you love, you'll likely practice with it more and it WILL improve your putting.

I see people post all the time that a more expensive putter will not help you hole more putts. For myself, I disagree, I'm 49 and from the age of 13 to 36 I used a Ping Pal putter. It was really cool at the beginning (when I was in my teens) and I practiced a lot. Then the putter became blah to me but I continued using it. Finally, in 2006 I found this board, and began buying expensive milled putters. I started with a Mizuno Bettinardi C-03 and absolutely loved it. I spent more time on the practice green than ever before. I absolutely loved that putter. I loved just looking at it!

Eventually I moved on to other putters (all expensive and milled) and I loved those too. And I became an excellent putter. Much, much better than when I was younger. Like night and day better. And I owe this to the expensive putters I was using because they seemed cooler to me and I actually wanted to practice with them.

If a high quality putter doesn't float your boat your experience may be different than mine. And if you practice your putting all the timewith a $5 bargain bin putter your experience may be different than mine. But as for me, I can attest to the fact that high quality (i.e., expensive) putters HAVE made me a better putter. Much better.

YMMV.

• Like 1

Interesting question/comments. Now that I think of it, for the last 10 years I haven’t been wowed, aesthetically, from any Scotty Cameron. His putters used to have more character and softer lines. He still makes a great product, but it would be nice if he started bringing back some of his older designs in a new package. I loved the Pro Platinum

i last went to try the new scottys this year in January and left with the new Mizuno M Craft Type 1, in the blue ion. Has a weight kit to adjust swing weight. Tremendous value, feel, and performance. I can’t say enough good things about it

I made this argument a while ago. Cameron putters haven’t felt special since circa 62 for me. They are well made for sure, they have a certain consistency to them that you have to appreciate, however the material and design are essentially just shuffling of the same idea going back to the Studio select range. I give them credit for the return to the teI3 line to some degree, but it’s missing key entries (longneck), is made with stainless steel and yet still somehow costs $600 (I know, I know... limited release).

at the end of the day though, you have to recognize what Cameron is now. It’s not about the putters, and it’s not about the performance. Not at a retail level. It’s a brand first and a marketing company, and as such it’s extremely successful and impressive. It’s got a Jordan-like presence in golf where you want it more so because of what it represents than any actual performance benefits. I know some take offense to that notion and I don’t mean to insult anyone who has the latest retail Cameron offering and loves it. If you love it that’s all that matters. But what the Cameron’s of today are at the retail level are not the same level of putter that you got in say 20 years ago. The return on your investment isn’t comparable.

D - Tour Burner TP 9.5*/Mitsubishi Diamana Whiteboard 63g 

3W - 07 Burner TP TS/Mitsubishi Diamana Blueboard 73g

2h - Razr Tour/Aldila NV Hybrid 85

3h - Diablo Edge Tour/Motore Speeder Tour Spec 9.8 HB

5-7 - P790/KBS C-Taper 120

8-PW - P770/KBS C-Taper 120

50* - Nike Engage 

54* - Nike VR Forged 

60* - Nike VR Forged

P - Nike Method Origin B2-01 Naked

Yes and no. I agree a custom putter will not make you a better putter but the custom aspect may help you. Example I would try a new scotty but they have a sight line, I can't deal with that. Too busy for me and distracting so a custom putter is the only way a go for most of mine because of that. My old circa from 2006 is the best feeling Scotty still to me!

Titleist TSR2 10° HZRDUS T1100

Titleist TSR3 15° HZRDUS T1100

Titleist TSR3 19° KBS Tour Hybrid Proto

PXG Gen5T 4-GW KBS Tour Stiff

Mizuno T24 56 & 60 S400

Piretti GOAT

I agree 100%. My gamer so far this year has been an 350g (asian) circa 62 just because 15 years later and nothing has beaten its feel. Part of that due to no carbon in the lineup in that long but you get the point. Also I agree it has become or becoming a marketing company. People just see Scotty and buy the product no matter what it is. Could be the ugliest headcover or putter or towel even and people eat it up! It is just like a Jordan brand as you said. Curious what the next few offerings will bring

Titleist TSR2 10° HZRDUS T1100

Titleist TSR3 15° HZRDUS T1100

Titleist TSR3 19° KBS Tour Hybrid Proto

PXG Gen5T 4-GW KBS Tour Stiff

Mizuno T24 56 & 60 S400

Piretti GOAT

We all know Bett / Cam are BOTH great putters, all personal when it comes down to it. I have a TEL3 Sole stamp that is a first article (first of 500 made). It was machined by Bettinardi and built by Cameron as I found out later. They worked together in the late 90's for while (or to some aspect of) So the best of both worlds =)

I hated the insert Cameron's though. I did pick up a Special Select Newport recently and it is an awesome putter. The new special's bring back the classic aspects and feel that made Cameron putters so good. Been playing a Studio Stainless Newport since the day I bought it (15 years) and yes there has been a many to try and kick it out of the bag, including other Cameron's but nothing lasted more then a month or so. The Special is probably going to do that this year.