Is Michael Jordan's new course the future of course design?

OK that makes more sense. Thanks for the explanation.

In Japan the reason for two greens is warm weather grass vs cold weather grass so I'd actually argue that it might be the opposite. Lots of courses around in Phoenix and Palm Springs could have the same rationale but instead oversees their greens every year (also bad in a lot of ways but definitely more efficient that maintaining two sets of greens).

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I do think this is a good concept. It may be tough to figure out the logistics of managing this if you are a local course....but as someone who has played a ton after work, you don't always have time

No. This isn't a thing and likely never will be. Too many logistical issues with trying to change the holes played by each player. At a very exclusive private club? Sure. Happens all of the time.

If you’ll indulge in this fun fact! Musselburgh Golf Links originally had only 7 holes in 1672 although it had been reported that Mary Queen of Scots played golf there as early as 1567. Musselburgh d

@cvvorst will go play 3, 4, or 5 holes almost everyday. Rarely plays 9 and it’s a full moon if he gets in 18.

Driver: Ping G410 LST (Diamana ZF)
5w:  Titleist TS2 (Ventus Blue)
3H: Titleist 818 H2 (Ventus Blue HB)
or 3i: Cobra King Utility 21* (Tour AD DI)
4-P: PXG 0311T (KBS $-Taper)
Wedges: 51* Edel TRP, 55* Edel DVR, 60* Cally MD5
Putter: PXG Mini Gunboat H

The club I grew up playing at you could easily create this. 1,2,3 are near the clubhouse. I can’t even begin to count the number of rounds I’ve played just those 3 holes and left. Because I only had a few minutes to play. You could also play 10, 11, 6, 7, 8, 9. I’ve done that a ton of times as well. Many days I started on 4 and played 4-18 and then finished with 1-3. It’s definitely a nice amenity.

Small loops are great when you have kids. I have a yearly pass to a public course that has a few small loops. You can play loops of 2, 3, 4, 6, or 7 holes in addition to your regular 9 or 18 options. The loops are great when you want to take your kids out and they don’t have the attention span for a full 9. My daughter loves going out for 3-4 holes because after that point she starts to get disinterested. I just moved office buildings with my company but at my old building I was able to drive to the course, change shoes, walk 3 holes, and get back to the office in about an hour. It was fantastic to be able to do that on lunch breaks. I would also much rather go play than hit balls at the range, but I have never really liked going to the range.

I don't think rich has anything to do with it, it's more about time. I used to be a member of a club that I could literally driver across the street from my office after work, I would often just have an hour or two for a little golf before heading home. It was great to be able to just unwind for a bit. And I'm not a "rich guy" Being able to play a quick 6 holes then a 18 hole round during the week is great, also if you play 18 and feel like 3 or 6 holes more to settle a few bets, it sounds awesome.

To me a great week of golf during the season would be a partial round during the week after work than a full day at some point where I play 18 to 27 holes.

I pick 14 of the following:
Ping G400
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood
Ping G 400 4 hybrid
Ping G 4-U
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54, 58 SS
Grips NDMC +4
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer
ProV1x-mostly
ECCO Biom Hybrid 3

12 holes is great, but what would be better is courses enforcing reasonable pace of play policies so it wouldn't take 4 1/2+ to play 18 holes. The current state of golf in IL is glorious with 15 min tee time gaps and two somes, we played 9 in an hour and 15 last night.

Taylormade M3 8.5* Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 73x Taylormade M3 3 Wood Accra FX 300 Taylormade M3 5 wood Accra FX 300 Rocketbladez Tour 4-PW TT X100 MG2 50/54/58 S400 TM Itsy Bitsy

2 years ago I worked at a high end resort course that had something similar done unintentionally. You could play 1-9, 1-11, 1-13 & 18, 10-13 & 18, or 10-18. Most people had no clue of this but it is awesome. I work on the course maintenance side and would get off work at 1:30 and pick the kid up from school a little after 3. A quick 4 holes, you bet.

Now logistically from a course management POV this is a nightmare. You are most likely going to have to pay for 9 or 18 holes. There just isn’t an easy way to mix the groups in. But for a course that needs to generate golfers this could be an option.

The 15 minute tee times instituted by local courses to side social distancing has been fantastic. Foursomes finishing in 3:45 easily at 11a on a Saturday. Hope that the 7.5m intervals go away and 10 becomes the minimum. A few extra bucks in exchange for 60-90 faster pace is a trade off I would make.

I looked it up. Some ppl just hate data and refuse to accept it as true. This is pretty clear that 10 minute intervals hurts no one

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Rather than calling GROVE XXIII the future of golf course design, it might actually be more accurate to call it the past of golf course design. Look at a lot of the classic courses on Google Maps and I think you'll be surprised by how many were laid out such that someone could play a handful of holes relatively easy. Shorter loops are possible on most golf courses that are laid out on a fairly compact and regular-shaped piece of property. Given the option, I would rather walk 4 or 5 holes and hit multiple balls than just grind on the range for an hour.

You learn to hit a golf ball on the driving range, but you learn to play the game on the course.

Senior Writer, GolfPass

TM M3 10.5* - UST V2
Srixon Z F65 15* & 19*
TM V-Steel 21*
Titleist 710 MB 4-PW
Cleveland RTX-3 52* and 58*
Evnroll ER5 (370g)

Course I played growing up was kinda like that. 1-5 were out around the perimeter of the course, and then 6 was right beside the clubhouse. So we'd play 9, then play another 5 if time allowed. Then hit tee shots on 6 (par 3) just in case one went in (it never did).

G410 10.5* LST -  F9 14.5* - F6 17.5* - G410 23* - i500 5-U - Glide Stealth 56* ( at 55*) and 60* - BG F22

https://Instagram/avgjoesgolf/

Sometimes 10 isn't the answer. There are a ton of things that go into flow of players through a course. Almost universally when golfers complain about slow play they complain about waiting to hit. Not having to wait to hit or waiting very little very rarely is a factor of proper flow of groups through the course. The work of Bill Yates is eye-opening in this regard and more courses should take advantage of his system for their courses and we would all be more happy golfers and likely would help stem the lagging participation (pre-covid lag). Unfortunately Bill passed on in 2018 but his work for improving golf (for golfers and owners and operators) is right up there with wooden tees and tri-plexes. Family, People, and Improving the Golfer Experience: Bill Yates Leave Behind a Strong Legacy

My club back home has 36 holes and they loop around and past each other all over the place. You can play virtually any number of holes and finish on 18 from 2 up to 18. Just depends where you skip across. Weekday evenings it's deserted, so you can switch around all over the place.

Ping G400 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump
Taylor Made UDI 2 iron Diamana Tensei white 90TX
Titleist 714CB 3, 4
Titleist 714MB 5-PW
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 52 and 56 WS
Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Loads of Private Clubs have something like this in place (intentionally or not). At our club we have a 2 hole loop, 3 hole loop, 5 hole loop etc etc etc. all played in the evenings when the tee sheet is empty. It is self managed by the members and you just go play the holes you want in the order you want as long as you don't get in anyones way. It fun to play a few of the routing that start on one holes tee box and finish on a different holes green.

Of course this would be a nightmare at a busy public course, with people paying per round etc.

• 1 month later...

This is fairly common among regulars at Sweeten's Cove. They have their favorite alternate holes and if there's room on the course they'll play it any number of ways.

I'm also intrigued by creative routing options and it's obvious that those are more tenable in a private club situation.

OTOH if a public course really wanted to offer alternate routings, they could make use of modern cart technology and come up with some options.