Has Anyone Ever Come Across A Moe Student Or Graves Golf Academy Pupil?

So I have been away from the game for the last 7-8 years, have decided to get back into the game.  Was thinking what made me unhappy about my swing, basically it was the lack of consistency and frustration.  I found Todd’s videos and started watching them, grabbed a club and started working on the swing.  So far I’m happy with how the swing feels, just really having two issues.

1) I always used an interlock grip and right now the overlap is just not comfortable.  The 10 finger is out. I guess it’s a work in progress.

2) the other issue I’m having is the tilt part of the swing, for those that are using what method has worked for you?  I have done the sliding my hand down my leg, just not sure it is right.

I am really considering buying the alignment trainer and the feeling of greatness club.  In reading this thread and watching the videos, I see how the alignment trainer would be of great help, has anyone used the club?  I will get PVC pipe for the trainer.

Edited by NJBigFish22
  • Like 1

Driver - Testing in Progress

7W - Taylormade Ti Bubble II

4-5 Hybrids - Cleveland Halo XL (21*, 24*)

7i - GW - Titleist T200 7-GW

GW - Taylormade MG3 52*

SW - Sub70 JB Forged 56*

LW - Sub70 JB Forged 62*

Putter - Sled 01 (for thr moment)

Ball - Srixon Q Star

48 minutes ago, NJBigFish22 said:

So I have been away from the game for the last 7-8 years, have decided to get back into the game.  Was thinking what made me unhappy about my swing, basically it was the lack of consistency and frustration.  I found Todd’s videos and started watching them, grabbed a club and started working on the swing.  So far I’m happy with how the swing feels, just really having two issues.

1) I always used an interlock grip and right now the overlap is just not comfortable.  The 10 finger is out. I guess it’s a work in progress.

2) the other issue I’m having is the tilt part of the swing, for those that are using what method has worked for you?  I have done the sliding my hand down my leg, just not sure it is right.

I am really considering buying the alignment trainer and the feeling of greatness club.  In reading this thread and watching the videos, I see how the alignment trainer would be of great help, has anyone used the club?  I will get PVC pipe for the trainer.

Welcome to WRX 👍

1) I use the overlap but I have used the interlock also. Based on my experience, the overlap works best just because to me, it forms "The Rod". My right hand is hardly on and it's there basically for the top of the swing to support. The baseball grip also works. I would suggest working with the overlap but make sure you have the long thumb and set the grip "weak" BUT making sure it is weak from the TILT POV. There are a few great videos on the grip from Todd, some of them I have put on this thread so go back a bit and find them.

2) That's the way I ensure I have the correct tilt. Thats also what their coaches recommend as well.

3) The Alignment Ball Trailer is a must buy - IMHO and I am a cheap a$.$ guy. I hate spending on training aids unless it it really proven to work. You could buiild a cheap version of the ABT by simply making any alingment stick with a tape 5" from the end. This is the ball position for iron. That NEVER changes. However the ABT will give you the proper width of your stance from PW-7, and on up.

IMO, the club is not necessary IF you follow Todd's advice on how to correctly setup the grip in relation to the tilt. I think the short game board is a better value.

Yeah, I use a 6 foot PVC pipe as well. I figured that if it was good enough for Todd & Moe, its good enough for me. May be when I win the lotto, I'll invest in a proper trainer👍

Edited by SwingBlues

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

14 minutes ago, SwingBlues said:

Welcome to WRX 👍

1) I use the overlap but I have used the interlock also. Based on my experience, the overlap works best just because to me, it forms "The Rod". My right hand is hardly on and it's there basically for the top of the swing to support. The baseball grip also works. I would suggest working with the overlap but make sure you have the long thumb and set the grip "weak" BUT making sure it is weak from the TILT POV. There are a few great videos on the grip from Todd, some of them I have put on this thread so go back a bit and find them.

2) That's the way I ensure I have the correct tilt. Thats also what their coaches recommend as well.

3) The Alignment Ball Trailer is a must buy - IMHO and I am a cheap a$.$ guy. I hate spending on training aids unless it it really proven to work. You could buiild a cheap version of the ABT by simply making any alingment stick with a tape 5" from the end. This is the ball position for iron. That NEVER changes. However the ABT will give you the proper width of your stance from PW-7, and on up.

IMO, the club is not necessary IF you follow Todd's advice on how to correctly setup the grip in relation to the tilt. I think the short game board is a better value.

Yeah, I use a 6 foot PVC pipe as well. I figured that if it was good enough for Todd & Moe, its good enough for me. May be when I win the lotto, I'll invest in a proper trainer👍

Thanks for the welcome.  I have only been at it for a short time, so I will keep working at it.  I will buy the ABT, the club I’m still debating, I don’t like spending money if I don’t have to.

GW - Taylormade MG3 52*

SW - Sub70 JB Forged 56*

LW - Sub70 JB Forged 62*

Ball - Srixon Q Star

1 minute ago, NJBigFish22 said:

Thanks for the welcome.  I have only been at it for a short time, so I will keep working at it.  I will buy the ABT, the club I’m still debating, I don’t like spending money if I don’t have to.

In that case, probably skip it. You can always get it later but understand the grip from the videos and apply it like Todd teaches and you should be pretty right.

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft

So I had a "A-HA" moment today.

So I have gone through all of Todd's instructions and videos, including some feedback from his coaches when I had membership. Even in my videos, looking at them, I was trying to do the right takeaway but my practice was great my real shots were not. The real shot takeaway was too armsy. To me it didn't feel armsy but on the video I can see my hands move first. As well, Todd always encourages bracing against the right inner thigh, and in my mind, that meant locking my lower body. Because of the lock, my hands and arms took over.

See where I am going?

So last night, I saw Danny Maude's video on using the ground for chipping and pitching. I always like Danny's teaching. It's simple to understand and practice. Also, just because he teaches a 2 plane swing, it does not mean there isn't anything I can learn from it. One plane swing still shares a lot with a 2 plane swing.

To me "using the ground" had meant a "squat like" motion on the downswing. Wrong

But my A-HA moment came when I realized that when I ALLOW my lower body to start the swing like using my hip (not use my hands or left shoulder) and then initiate the downswing with again using my lower body. No upper body and WALLAH!!! My 5 iron and drives were solid. No more pulls or hooks.

Drives were the most telling - they were piercing and level out when before they looked like a pitching wedge shots.

Also, take a real close and sometimes SLO-MO look at the Moe Norman demonstrations and carefully study how Moe moves his lower body to start and also on the down. Forget about the drop into slot details and all, this will happen automatically. I think I got too involved with these details and not getting the actual feelings.

Find it. You can't study or buy a feeling, you have to dig it out of the dirt like any other swing...

Edited by SwingBlues

20 hours ago, NJBigFish22 said:

Referring to #1 - I never could get used to the overlap. I stuck with the inter-lock and TO ME it isn't hurting my swing at all. Feel like I am still getting the right tilt and going through the ball staying centered over the left knee.

• Like 1

DRIVER -     PXG Black OPs Tour 1 - 8* | 🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥   
2 WD -         PXG Gen 6  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

2/3/4 Hybrids- PXG Gen 6 | Accra Tour 90i Stiff

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT 
PUTTER -   PXG Battle Ready Gunboat w/M16 Stability Shaft
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

@NJBigFish22

Use the grip that feels good.  I use the ten finger.  Graves claims leverage benefits for the overlapping, but I think the arguments are weak.

On the old single axis swing forum, they use to say f@rt left to set the tilt.

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

I’m have been doing 50 swings a day as practice to try and get more comfortable overall.  As for the grip, I am doing 100 chips in the backyard just to feel the club making contact with a ball while using the overlap.  What started as me having to change from interlock on every shot, now it’s every 5.  Eventually I need to get to the range and hit full shots, just don’t feel like I have the basics down enough just yet.  Like I mentioned the tilt is just odd to me still, maybe I should film to see if I’m actually tilted.  One thing I have noticed is the club head is square through impact zone.

The ABT is going to be a must.  I reached out to them to see if they could create a “custom” bundle of the ABT, Swing trainer and the iron.  They said it would be just under $200.  I feel this is a decent deal, basically swing trainer is free.  I didn’t pull the trigger fast enough on all three from a guy on eBay for $100.  

GW - Taylormade MG3 52*

SW - Sub70 JB Forged 56*

LW - Sub70 JB Forged 62*

Ball - Srixon Q Star

I am still looking forward to getting to the range with the abt.  Just hasn't happened yet with the free time coinciding with the weather.  Just happy I have been able to play every weekend. So everything I have been working on has happened on the course.  But like I said before, this isn't my first rodeo with this method so that helps.  What I have noticed, especially my last 2 rounds, is the ball is literally making a different sound coming off my clubs.  My playing partners have even commented on the sound at impact.  If things keep going as they are, my excitement level will keep going up.  Now to work on some consistency.......

That Ah-HA moment on Friday worked well. So Saturday I tried it again on the range and it worked good. Decided to play with it as much as possible.

Shot -1 for the round with 1 bird, one Eagle chip in and 2 bogeys. That was my best round on that course. I use to hate it because it was all mature tree lined. Now I don't fear it at all because I feel I can now control the ball.

Playing the new Epic Max LS driver, sucker is long and straight, or straight and long. Driving was excellent except for 2 holes but that was pilot error, resulting in bogeys.

Also, had to hit some tough recovery shots, like a 150 yard between 2 mature trees, keep it low under the branches with a slight draw. Hit it pin high in the left rough and then execute Tim Graves bump & run for a kick in Par save.  Hit one bad short game shot (hot potato) but other than that, the short game executed including a chip in. That hole was a driveable one and I just missed it slightly left, just short of pin high. Ball in the rough, so chipped it and BAM, right in front of my playing buddies nonetheless who had a grand stand view.

I have not adopted the Tim Graves putting. Putting is still my own and I'm going to leave it as-is. Everything is perfect with my Directed Force and no desire to go with the Graves recommended arm lock putter.

Also met another Graves One Plane swinger on the range. Spotted him as he had the ABT. He just started as well so we got talking. It's good to see another Moe Norman Graves 1 planer in person 👍

Edited by SwingBlues

8 hours ago, SwingBlues said:

That Ah-HA moment on Friday worked well. So Saturday I tried it again on the range and it worked good. Decided to play with it as much as possible.

Shot -1 for the round with 1 bird, one Eagle chip in and 2 bogeys. That was my best round on that course. I use to hate it because it was all mature tree lined. Now I don't fear it at all because I feel I can now control the ball.

Playing the new Epic Max LS driver, sucker is long and straight, or straight and long. Driving was excellent except for 2 holes but that was pilot error, resulting in bogeys.

Also, had to hit some tough recovery shots, like a 150 yard between 2 mature trees, keep it low under the branches with a slight draw. Hit it pin high in the left rough and then execute Tim Graves bump & run for a kick in Par save.  Hit one bad short game shot (hot potato) but other than that, the short game executed including a chip in. That hole was a driveable one and I just missed it slightly left, just short of pin high. Ball in the rough, so chipped it and BAM, right in front of my playing buddies nonetheless who had a grand stand view.

I have not adopted the Tim Graves putting. Putting is still my own and I'm going to leave it as-is. Everything is perfect with my Directed Force and no desire to go with the Graves recommended arm lock putter.

Also met another Graves One Plane swinger on the range. Spotted him as he had the ABT. He just started as well so we got talking. It's good to see another Moe Norman Graves 1 planer in person 👍

Man that's awesome and congrats. Wishing you continued success.

I don't use the Graves method for chipping or putting but everything else. My short game has always been my strong point and I'm not messing with that!!

• Thanks 1

DRIVER -     PXG Black OPs Tour 1 - 8* | 🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥   
2 WD -         PXG Gen 6  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

2/3/4 Hybrids- PXG Gen 6 | Accra Tour 90i Stiff

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT 
PUTTER -   PXG Battle Ready Gunboat w/M16 Stability Shaft
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

On 4/13/2021 at 5:54 AM, SEP1006 said:

Man that's awesome and congrats. Wishing you continued success.

I don't use the Graves method for chipping or putting but everything else. My short game has always been my strong point and I'm not messing with that!!

Thanks.

So I took a whole week off to NOT golf. This would be a great test of the Graves method and see how well it's embedded in me. Literally, I swung my clubs 1.5 hrs before my tee time.

Just to add in another spanner, I went back to my P790s with the Dynamic Gold 105s from my Speedzone graphite. If there was a time for a "reset", its now.

Here, my thinking is to see if I can still play iron shafts with the one plane swing. I've never played with those clubs with the Graves swing as I started with the graphites. My thought was that Moe had very heavy clubs. I think switching from D0 to D2 in my P790s, it's a "kinda" similar effect and I wanted to see what feelings I could get from the swing by switching.

I played with the P790s until 2019 for a little over a year so I know these clubs but it's been a while. I left my wedges (48* and 56*) as graphite because I have the Catalyst 100s in them so they are the same swing weight as the S300 (well may be a tad lighter). Short game was good, hit some nice kick in chips with the PW. Low hooky 130 yard chip shots were FANTASTIC with the 6 iron. These were always good with the P790s but with my SZ 6 iron, it was hit or miss. Again, I felt better control with the head on the iron shaft.

Overall, there is more feel in the swing path of these iron shafts. Dispersion seem to be better with the short irons. Strikes with the mid and long irons improved somewhat, well no worst than my graphite. Hit some pin seekers with the long irons, usually these are fadey on the graphite. Distances were about the same but ball trajectory was somewhat lower with the P790s than my SZ but I felt it was less ball speed.

The most important part was that the feel perspective, I sensed I knew where the club head was MORE with the P790s.  May be it's just the jump period but I'll stick out with the P790s for a month or 2. 2 birdies and 2 bogeys, even steven Par.

So anyone else play graphites with the Graves swing, or irons? Anyone switched?

Edited by SwingBlues

I wouldn't read too much into the club weights of Moe. You gotta realize in the way back when he started playing the clubs and head sizes he used. If I had a tiny clubhead at the end, I would want it heavier as well just to be able to feel where it was.  As far as graphite goes, I have iron sets with graphite and sets with steel shafts.  What I use any given week generally has to do with my pain index, not the swing method employed.  Typically I would prefer steel, but with injuries and arthritis, sometimes I gotta go graphite if I wanna finish the round.  So I think the more important thing is to use what you are comfortable swinging and equally as important what you are confident in swinging.  I don't claim to be a pro, just an insight into my way of thinking on this.

That all said, I didn't post on behalf of my round this past weekend.  While gains were made,  nothing really stuck out at me besides the glaring obvious.  I need to get more consistent.  Then I will truly feel I accomplished something.  Right now I feel like I am working and it should.  But I am working towards an end goal and I am going to stick to this plan for now and for ever.  Now that my body is gaining some momentum going forward feeling what a good swing with this feels like, there is no reason to go back to traditional. 

• Thanks 1

@lenman73 thanks for the feedback. Hope you get better, sucks to play in pain. Been there, done that so you have my sympathies. I had to pop the aleve/advil before the round just to deal with my back.

I should add I went graphite because prior to COVID, I was starting to develop a tennis elbow with the DG105 S300 shafts. It didn't matter if I had the KBS Tour or Tour V, none of them really solved the tennis elbow. Back then I was at the range with mats every day. COVID put a stop to that so I am only down to 1 range a week.

As well, this is all prior to my swing change to Graves/Moe swing and back then I definitely had a a vertical lift off - spacing issue as Todd commonly described.

My preference after the one round in my P790s is that I definitely feel more with the iron shaft, just because of the weight. Ironically, I also submitted to Tim Graves club fitting and they recommended a graphite shaft and spec that is pretty darn close to the stock spec of my P790 for lie. However, compared to my graphite Speedzone irons, it was more vertical than Tim's recommendation.

Speaking of vertical and all, I found this interesting recent video from Shawn Clements. It kinda ties in with why golfers go vertical versus Moe and he actually mention Moe in his video...

Like you I don't think I can go back to the traditional swing since I now have my spacing issue resolved and it seems back friendlier as well...

I have noticed less pain with this swing.  I notice my shoulders don’t hurt as bad (old baseball and skiing injuries). I’m still in the early stages so it is still a work in progress.  I will say trying to chip in a single plane swing is awkward, I keep going back to my old way, I’m afraid I will screw up my old way which was best part of game.  

GW - Taylormade MG3 52*

SW - Sub70 JB Forged 56*

LW - Sub70 JB Forged 62*

Ball - Srixon Q Star

13 minutes ago, NJBigFish22 said:

I have noticed less pain with this swing.  I notice my shoulders don’t hurt as bad (old baseball and skiing injuries). I’m still in the early stages so it is still a work in progress.  I will say trying to chip in a single plane swing is awkward, I keep going back to my old way, I’m afraid I will screw up my old way which was best part of game.  

No worries but just curious - are we talking about the Tim Grave's chipping method here? There is no "single plane" like the full swing and if anything it's pretty conventional. Small open stance, square shoulder. Choked down and keep the shaft lean on the way down. no release and holding the finish at end.

Heres another from the email the Graves academy sends out...

https://learn.singleplaneacademy.com/lp/short-game-fundamentals/?wchannelid=r130aop2yr&wmediaid=jkxkopu015

Yea, that's something that confuses me a bit as well.

I believe I read that at one point someone asked Todd if he used the single-plane swing with pitches, chips, bunker shots, etc. and he replied that he used it for EVERY shot. However, Tim's chipping and pitching methods don't seem to have much in common with the SP, although he states repeatedly that the pitch is like a "mini" full swing. I simply don't see it, but of course I am a relative newbie and have been concentrating mostly on full swing mechanics.

OTOH, I have had great success with Tim's pitching and chipping methods, they just simply work (relatively speaking) for me, so I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth. 🙂

Edited by nlk10010

Harry Redknapp on signing good-looking Portuguese winger Dani, he told reporters:

"My missus fancies him. Even I don't know whether to play him or f**k him."

11 hours ago, SwingBlues said:

No worries but just curious - are we talking about the Tim Grave's chipping method here? There is no "single plane" like the full swing and if anything it's pretty conventional. Small open stance, square shoulder. Choked down and keep the shaft lean on the way down. no release and holding the finish at end.

Heres another from the email the Graves academy sends out...

https://learn.singleplaneacademy.com/lp/short-game-fundamentals/?wchannelid=r130aop2yr&wmediaid=jkxkopu015

I do get that chipping isn’t single plane, but setup seems similar.  I guess I should watch the videos like you posted.  Thanks.

GW - Taylormade MG3 52*

SW - Sub70 JB Forged 56*

LW - Sub70 JB Forged 62*

Ball - Srixon Q Star

Messing around with single plane a bit; enjoy Graves' course vlogs. Does anyone find they feel like they have a very bowed lead wrist at the top of their backswing?

Driver - Taylormade M2 2017 9.75*

3W - Cobra RadSpeed Draw 14.5*

5W - Callaway Epic Flash 18*

7W - Taylormade M4 5HL 21*

5H - Callaway Rogue 24*

Irons - Taylormade P790 6-PW

Wedges - TM Milled Grind 50* & 54* | Hi-Toe 60*

Putter - Nike Method Converge B1-01

Grips - MCC clone| Ball - TP5

19 minutes ago, macedan said:

Messing around with single plane a bit; enjoy Graves' course vlogs. Does anyone find they feel like they have a very bowed lead wrist at the top of their backswing?

I have fought the bowed left wrist forever.  But doing the Graves single plane and starting the club a ways back behind the ball I find it easier to get to the top of the backswing with a flat wrist.  For me it has helped with that problem. But it is also something I consciously work on when practicing and during practice swings on the course. 

4 hours ago, macedan said:

If you go through Todd's instructions, he does not want you to bow the left wrist, or cup it. The back of the palm should line with the shaft on a plane. It all comes down to the left thumb and a grip that is set weak with the spine at tilt. Todd likes to see that thumb long (not short) and the grip between the finger and palm. There are some videos I posted early in this thread so check it out about the grip.

I use to come from a swing where I would bow my lead wrist ala Rahm but I had to re-think. I play a draw but bowing the wrist with the 1 plane is a bad news hooky swing.

On 4/24/2021 at 4:27 PM, macedan said:

My. $.02, there's a very weird feel to this backswing. (You probably know this, just to recapitulate), there are two parts:  First is a "one-piece" takeaway, rotate the pelvis/body/arms as a rigidly-related unit, back of lead wrist is flat. Then just fold the trail arm. Shoulders continue to turn a bit but not the pelvis, I just have the feeling of folding the arm. Back of the lead wrist then naturally maintains its "flatness" (sort of like a karate chop). The relationship of the hands/wrists at the top of the backswing is very much like it was at address. The key to me is that second part of the backswing, to just be satisfied with folding the trail arm and letting the shoulders go as far around as that allows. Over-rotation is a killer in this swing, if you look at old Moe videos it's almost like he's square over the ball and his head hardly moves.

Edited by nlk10010

Harry Redknapp on signing good-looking Portuguese winger Dani, he told reporters:

On 4/24/2021 at 3:50 PM, lenman73 said:

I have fought the bowed left wrist forever.  But doing the Graves single plane and starting the club a ways back behind the ball I find it easier to get to the top of the backswing with a flat wrist.  For me it has helped with that problem. But it is also something I consciously work on when practicing and during practice swings on the course. 

After swinging for a few more hours over the weekend, I feel as though my bowed lead wrist problem likely stems from not aligning the lead hand correctly... or more so the lead elbow. It appears (to me) that if my lead elbow gets to facing more down rather than out to the side that my lead hand becomes much weaker than it should be. Naturally when paired with the stronger trail hand it will bow.

I've also started setting the clubhead a few inches behind the ball which is surprisingly comfortable to me. Does anyone find this difficult to achieve on sloped lies?

Driver - Taylormade M2 2017 9.75*

3W - Cobra RadSpeed Draw 14.5*

5W - Callaway Epic Flash 18*

7W - Taylormade M4 5HL 21*

5H - Callaway Rogue 24*

Irons - Taylormade P790 6-PW

Wedges - TM Milled Grind 50* & 54* | Hi-Toe 60*

Putter - Nike Method Converge B1-01

Grips - MCC clone| Ball - TP5

It's actually easier to hit off sloped lies compared to the old swing because the lower body is stable already.

Here's the latest from Todd, FAQ about the Graves/Moe Norman swing... quite interesting even if you think you know the swing already.

Lead arm rotation

Tilt

Rotation

Release

Grip

Speed

Enjoy

Edited by SwingBlues
  • Like 1

Another aha moment.

Went to the range to work on my irons. If you see the YouTube video above at the 10:55 mark "Why do I stand up", Todd advocates keep the butt back and rotating with the butt back. This was a GEM. I think I still have some residual of my old swing creeping in where I lose the angles. This single thought has helped alot. If I do it correctly, I really feel the pronouced one plane into impact. Everything feels so right, stable and strong.

Also, I noticed on my self video my shoulder plane was too level in the takeaway. My left shoulder. I worked on focusing on the one piece takeaway (the old PVC pipe drill) and noticed that, even though in the setup with the tilt, the left shoulder is high. But in the one piece takeaway, it actually drops if I do it correctly. Again, this level left shoulder is from my old PPGS swing.

I think a lot of the issues we are having is actually the old swing or habits creeping into the one plane swing. We don't notice it until we self video ourselves and see and go "wow, am i doing that?" moment...

I hesitate to call it an "aha" moment right now, but yesterday I was on one of my usual 9-hole courses and after 5 was floundering. I have had problems with the first part of the backswing (one-piece rotation), I was being told that I was rolling my forearms. Why? I knew I was supposed to rotate everything back, together (I kept practicing with the Trainer). Then it occurred to me to think of the face of the club and I decided to try keeping it square to the path on the backswing; i.e. as I rotated back I tried to keep the face more closed, back of the lead hand pointing more to the ball. Made a distinct difference to my ball striking over the final four holes, in that at least now I was hitting the ball up, looked more like a golf shot (even though still pretty short). Not a panacea, of course, but one tends to forget that a presumed advantages of this SP swing is that it's easier to bring the face back to the ball in (more-or-less) the same position as address. Consequently face position relative to the path at every point of the swing is important.

Of course next time I go out I'll remember this change, probably over-emphasize it and go back to flailing at the ball. My old doc called it, paraphrasing a famous line: "....better is the enemy of good".

Not everything ends well.

I played a round on Saturday, up to the 14th hole, I was even par with 2 birdies and 2 bogeys. Drives were good and the iron was dead straight at the pin but somehow, the grass in front of the green stopped the ball deal especially with my high flight. Still getting used to the P790 irons shafted with the Gold 105 S300 vs my Recoil ESX Speedzone irons.

Then the 15th started a series of disaster holes. Not sure where it came from and this is one of my favorite driving holes. typically, I hit a high draw over a dog leg holes and I have a 100 and in. But the first drive was a low spinny slice into the junk. The second shot was the same but it still sliced but landed on the 15th green. Same thing happened on the 16th drive, a low spinny slice into the junk AGAIN.

17th was a hooky draw. 18th was another low spinny slice.

These slices were like traveling about 100 yards. I can't figure out if I am shanking it with the driver, or if it's coming from the extreme toe. Everything seems to be fine at setup. The 18th was a complete disaster, my second 3 woods shot was the same. Something just creeped into the swing and it was pretty good until then.

Suffice to say, I went back to the range on Sunday, today. All the irons seems fine. The driver seem fine as was the 3 wood. Now, I had ONE shot that was that low spinny 100 yard slice. Again, I could not figure out where I was impacting it. If I had to guess, I would say I was probably straightening my left leg, that would inevitably force my club head to come closer to the body and may result in the extreme to hit... which explains why I may not even have felt where the ball impacted. I wished I had video and my buds were too wasted to see anything.

This just goes to prove the One Plane swing is not 100% idiot proof. Like the other swings, it needs sequence, timing and right path into the ball. If anything, I would categorize this as a negative "A-ha" moment. I can't recall ever having go through these bad long wood swings. Ever. Also, if there was time for a Nicklaus short memory, it was that round.

I knew a Moe taught junior some years ago, although he was close to 40 at that time. Really accurate driver, very long for the day, was a solid 2 hdcp. Had the exact stance and swing as Moe, and he was about the same stature as Moe so it was probably easier for him to assimilate the swing.

Notable is that he, unlike Moe, chased distance. I think it held him back.

Callaway Epic Speed M10 Smoke
Taylor Made SIM 3W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made SIM 5W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made GAPR HI KBS 4,5,
HONMA TW747P 6-11 Vizard 85g
Cleveland 56* Smoke RTX Zipcore DG Spinner
Lajosi 808 Damascus, Callaway S2H2 Tuttle
Seed 01, Maxfli Tour

My ABT arrived so now I can really start working on my swing since I have a consistent way to make sure my stance and ball position is correct.  All the chipping I have done in the last couple weeks has made the overlap grip more natural. 

• Like 1

GW - Taylormade MG3 52*

SW - Sub70 JB Forged 56*

LW - Sub70 JB Forged 62*

Ball - Srixon Q Star