2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Leather Grips? Who is using and what do you think

granata10

Curious who has used leather grips and what did you think? I know they are more expensive but I have also heard they last a lot longer. What are the other Pros and Cons? 

Ping G425 LST 10.5*
Ping G425 LST 14.5
Taylormade Sim max hybrid 19*

Srixon ZX5 4 iron & 5 iron
Srixon ZX7 6-AW
Vokey SM8 54.10S and 60.04L
Evnroll ER5 black

I've just started testing a few leather grips. Both Best Grips and GripMaster leather grips have a fair number of fans, I decided to try both. I put a couple Microperfs from Best Grips on the 9i and PW of my irons, and a GripMaster Roo on my SW. So far, I'm preferring the Roo.

Going to keep evaluating both as the season goes on.

I'm curious to hear thoughts of those who've used them for extended periods of time...

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

The one thing that concerned me about the best grips is the seam. I typically do not like ribbed grips, including align from golf pride. How much do you notice it?

Ping G425 LST 10.5*
Ping G425 LST 14.5

Srixon ZX7 6-AW
Evnroll ER5 black

I put on Best Grips non-perf grips on my clubs a few weeks ago. I have a home sim and only have hit them there so far. The seam is no issue at all, just take your time aligning them at install. I actually like the feeling of the seam on my right forefinger. They feel terrific and are tacky enough for me. I've heard that GripMaster grips can be too tacky, but I'll likely try the Roo as well at some point. So far I love them for what it's worth. One thing to note though, they don't dampen impact as much as rubber. Strikes are very different feeling, especially on a miss. I'll keep them on for the summer season and see how it goes.

That surprising about not dampening as much as rubber. I didn’t even think about that. I assumed the rubber under listing would do that. Thanks for the info on best grips. I will probably try both Grip master and best grips before I decide.

Ping G425 LST 10.5*
Ping G425 LST 14.5

Srixon ZX7 6-AW
Evnroll ER5 black

I don't like ribbed grips, and I haven't noticed the seam on either the Microperfs or the Roo.

Of course YMMV.

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

In the past used Gripmaster, now all my clubs are Bestgrip Microperf.

Leather is fantastic - and not only last longer, but you don't need to wear a glove which also makes them good value in the long term. (I'm in Thailand, so it's 30 degC or thereabouts and high humidity pretty much all the time... and don't bother with or need a glove)

I have a rib installed underneath the Microperf grip, in line with the stitching... and on top of the club shaft, so it sits in the v between thumb and forefinger. Without the rib, the stitched seam is barely noticeable I'd say, and they do offer a wrap version now I believe.

"You must lash out with every limb, like the octopus who plays the drums." p. 134

The Best website indicates that they are reduced taper. How pronounced is the reduced taper? And does the Gripmaster also have reduced taper? Thanks

Titleist TSr 3 10°, Ventus Blue 6s
Titleist TSr 2 16.5°, Ventus Blue 7s

Ping G430 3, 4, 5 hybrid, Alta CB Black 70s

PXG 0317T 6-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80s
Vokey SM9 54° D, 60° T, KBS TGI 95s

L.A.B. Mezz.1 Max 35”, Accra

Always heard about them, but couldn't really get down with the price. I managed to get some of the midsize Gripmaster Kidd Leather grips on sale 2 years ago for 8$ and jumped to give them a shot, and came to the conclusion that all the hype and buzz about leather grips is legit. They have a natural tacky that feels nice, and a few times a month wash with some warm water (no soap though!) and that tack stays. They really hold up in the rain far better than any other grip I've used. I'm going on year 3 with the same Kidd Leather grips but recently just bought the Masters edition Best Grips micro perf to replace them with when I get back from deployment. The price is always hard to stomach initially, but if you look at it in the vein of you pay upfront for 3+ seasons vs re gripping rubber grips each year, its at worst a wash if not coming out ahead with the leathers.

A few common things:

-Don't use soap or leather conditioner on them, it takes away the tack.

-When re gripping ensure the butt of the iron shaft is sanded VERY well and then tape is covering the entire butt. Tiny burrs or sharp spots, will slice the inner lining and you'll be out a grip. If you use solvent or spirits, careful with them because spilled on the grips, sometimes it stains the leather.

-The seam up the back, is noticeable to the point its not smooth however its not so much that it is comparable to a ribbed grip. Also you get used to it and it is hard to notice after a few uses.

-Don't forget to care for the caps too when cleaning the whole grip. Some water wash off, then a touch of armor all will keep it fresh.

-The reduced taper is a nice gradual feel with the best grips. Nothing drastic, but if you're looking for it you'll notice it.

TSR2  | Original One Mini |Apex UW 19

Nike Vapor Speed 4i | 5-GW T100S Black 

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

WITB

I have GripMaster Master Swinger grips on my new irons....only have 3 practice sessions in my backyard and 1 round. So far im not a fan at all. Its very early so im going to commit to using them, especially since they cost $27 per grip

Those that have mentioned the ribbed feeling, I dont think its an issue. Much less noticeable and pronounced than Align grips.... Overall tho I think they are way too sticky (with a glove) and also very slippery (using no glove) feeling. Ive played cords the last 4 years and wanted to try something different. I should mention I prefer to play without a glove so thats why ive liked cords. Its impossible for me to use the GripMaster grips barehanded. Ive almost thrown the club through my backyard net a couple times

With a glove on is the only way I can use these grips but even then its extremely sticky/tacky on the glove hand

TM Qi10 9* ... KBS TD Serape 60x

TM Stealth 2+ 4w ... KBS TD Rainbow 70x

TM Stealth 2+ 6w*... KBS TD Rainbow 80x

Titleist 5h 23* C1 ... KBS Proto 105 S+

Mizuno Pro 243 5 - P ... KBS TGI 110

TM MG4 50 S, 56 LB, 60 TW... KBS $-Taper 130x

Greyson x Bettinardi SS3 and QB6

TaylorMade TP5x

Great info. Thank you!! I don’t like to use a glove and that’s why I want to invest in leather. I just ordered a couple gripmaster wraps but from what everyone is saying I think i am going to order a couple best grips to try. I plan on using air to putt he grips on so if/when I switch clubs i can bring the grips to the new clubs.

Ping G425 LST 10.5*
Ping G425 LST 14.5

Srixon ZX7 6-AW
Evnroll ER5 black

That’s interesting to hear. I don’t like to use a glove and that’s why I wanted to try leather. I only bought a couple so the investment isn’t too bad. Let us know how the adjustment goes, I have heard leather grips get better

Ping G425 LST 10.5*
Ping G425 LST 14.5

Srixon ZX7 6-AW
Evnroll ER5 black

My entire set (except putter) has BestGrips Augusta Microperf grips on them. The longest I have had this grip is with my 2I hybrid and irons (3-PW, SW) now into the fourth year and are still as good as day 1, in terms of condition and tack. There is no end in sight for these grips as they are in nearly day 1 condition so I expect them to last another 4 or 5 years. Having a grip on a club for 9-10 years without the need to change them is remarkable. My gap wedge and driver are not quite a year and my 3 wood has is new. All clubs have the same grip and these are outstanding. With regard to tackiness, there is a bit of tack on the grip which I love because as moisture gets on my hands I do not loose grip. The sewing on the back creates a slight reminder rib but not as bad as a grip designed with it. To be honest it isn't that noticeable and I am able to open or close a club to produce a fade or draw and not have the sewing rib cause any discomfort or be noticeable. With metal woods with adjustable hosels, I would recommend that the golfer find out what their ideal setting is before installing a leather slip on because rotating the shaft will rotate the grip. To me I am way too OCD so that would cause me an issue. I have found the right adjustment after a couple of range sessions and installed my BestGrips Augusta Microperf. As long as Zach Sewill, Miss Susan and the great folks at BestGrips are making grips I will be using them. They are absolutely terrific people. Best Grips: Genuine Leather Golf Grips and Covers Made in the USAI believe GolfWRX members receive a discount as well. Believe me, these are worth every penny!!!!!

On a side note God speed to Harry. You will be missed. It was my pleasure to be able to call you friend. Take care my friend.

• Like 3

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

me too! Right on GripMaster's website in the description for each grip it says "As with all Grip Master swing grips, there is no real need to wear a golf glove.." So far ive found that to not be true at all. But like some have said maybe I need to wear the grips in over time

TaylorMade TP5x

Wow. My experience is completely different then yours. No glove needed and with no break in. Just curious, did you purchase from a legit source?

Ping G410 Plus Driver, TaylorMade Aeroburner 3W, Cobra F6 Baffler 
Callaway 2015 XR 4, 5 hybrids

Titleist 2021 T300 6-P, 48W, 53W irons

Ping Zing Lob wedge
Axis1 Rose putter

Entire set built by Club Champion... mine are very slick!

TaylorMade TP5x

I use Grip Masters. I bought them last year and am working on my second season with them and I won't be going back to rubber grips. Like mentioned above, they just get better with age. I don't use a glove with mine and haven't noticed any slipping.

WITB

Titleist TSi2 9º w/ Ventus Blue 7-TX

Titleist 915F 16.5º w/ Ventus Black 8-X

Callaway Apex UW 17º w/ Hazardous Smoke

Callaway Apex UW 21º w/ Hazardous Smoke

6-43º Titleist T400 w/ DG AMT Red

48º Vokey SM6, 54º Vokey SM8 Raw, 60º SM9 Raw

Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Masterful Tourtype SSS CT A048277

Id say slightly squishy. They are the Master Swinger series. Sounds like the Roo swingers are firmer.... all the descriptions on the grip master site make them sound and feel the same other than the classic swinger

its my first experience with leather grips so maybe I just didn't do enough homework or have the knowledge on what I should have went with

TaylorMade TP5x

I just installed Best Grips microperf Augusta grips on all my clubs and finally was able to get to the range yesterday as our course just reopened. So far love the grips. No glove and they are very tacky. Couldn’t imagine one of these slipping out of my hand.

to the guy with the slippery Gripmaster grips try wiping them down with a damp cloth then see if that activates the tack in the grips.

Basic answer, but use a lot of liquid. Im sure you are doing this, but just in case: spray some on the taped end of the shaft, then pour some solvent/water/spirits in the grip, plug both ends and shake it around, then pour the rest on the taped shaft. The inner lining of the leather grips seems to be a little more finnicky then normal rubber ones, so after I had issues with the first one I drowned everything in spirits and they were all smooth sailing.

TSR2  | Original One Mini |Apex UW 19

Nike Vapor Speed 4i | 5-GW T100S Black 

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

WITB

I have heard, and plan on doing it myself, its easier with an air compressor. This also allows you to take them off easier if you are switching clubs and lets be honest we all are going to switch clubs! I have used air in the past and its really easy to learn

• Like 2

Ping G425 LST 10.5*
Ping G425 LST 14.5

Srixon ZX7 6-AW
Evnroll ER5 black

Curiosity killed the cat. I have been wondering about these for a very long time. I just ordered one Best Micro Perf to try. I am getting ready for a iron shaft change so I figured this would be a good time. My only reservation is the reduced taper. Every reduced taper I have tried I really don't care for, so we'll see. If this is a problem, I may try Gripmaster, assuming they don't also have it.

Titleist TSr 3 10°, Ventus Blue 6s
Titleist TSr 2 16.5°, Ventus Blue 7s

Ping G430 3, 4, 5 hybrid, Alta CB Black 70s

PXG 0317T 6-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80s
Vokey SM9 54° D, 60° T, KBS TGI 95s

L.A.B. Mezz.1 Max 35”, Accra

I found them difficult as well; I'm also a solvent and tape guy (don't own a compressor). I found it easier using quite a bit more solvent than normal.

This was true for me for both the Microperfs from Best Grips and the Roo from GripMaster.

The comments about rain are very true. My first round with the Roo grip (installed on SW), we got some rain the final two holes. And my grip using my SW was even better than it had been the previous 16 holes. If you play in humid conditions, they will definitely do the job. And then some.

Adding a comment on the Best Grips pro taper... it's mentioned on their site that if you like a standard size grip, you may wish to try the undersized grips. I did so as part of my experiment, they're installed on DGS shafts with no extra tape and feel like normal size to me.

• Like 1

They are MUCH easier to install with air. Especially if you are using the wrapped version. If you ARE using the wrap version, installing manually and you get stuck, you will wind up with ugly separation in the grip. One sided painters tape + lubricant + air = easy on (and off).

• Like 1

Ping G410 Plus Driver, TaylorMade Aeroburner 3W, Cobra F6 Baffler 
Callaway 2015 XR 4, 5 hybrids

Titleist 2021 T300 6-P, 48W, 53W irons

Ping Zing Lob wedge
Axis1 Rose putter