Leather Grips? Who is using and what do you think

granata10

5 hours ago, NNJ111 said:

I think I’m just gonna have to get a standard and add 3 wraps and a midsize and see which I like more. Let us know how the midsize compares to your gp tv +4 when you get it!

I’m waiting for the blue and pink colors.  

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

Just now, Double Dodger said:

You can start with your putter….

Naw, l like my putter grip.  

Think I’m ready to bite the bullet.  Gotta think strategic on which clubs I don’t plan to replace soon.  Think I’ll buy for all but the wedges.   I don’t use them for full swings much.  

I love the feel of leather golf grips.... in particular the Gripmaster Kangaroo leather grips.... but two things prevent me from going to them full time...

1. Going through equipment as much as I do (aka club-hoing), makes it cost prohibitive  and....

2. I've installed two new sets of the Kangaroo grips and installed them myself with air, and I find them to be inconsistent from grip to grip. The tackiness from grip to grip varies I've found, the firmness from grip to grip varies, and so does the thickness.  I don't know if because they're leather, or the process they go through to infuse the Protack makes the manufacturing tolerances a little wider or what.  The biggest different from grip to grip was the tackiness.  

And although I could never say that one grip in and of itself felt bad, I just didn't like my grips feeling different from club to club.  I thought my first set was just a bad batch or something, but the second set was identical.

7 hours ago, gibbiesmalls said:

I love the feel of leather golf grips.... in particular the Gripmaster Kangaroo leather grips.... but two things prevent me from going to them full time...

1. Going through equipment as much as I do (aka club-hoing), makes it cost prohibitive  and....

2. I've installed two new sets of the Kangaroo grips and installed them myself with air, and I find them to be inconsistent from grip to grip. The tackiness from grip to grip varies I've found, the firmness from grip to grip varies, and so does the thickness.  I don't know if because they're leather, or the process they go through to infuse the Protack makes the manufacturing tolerances a little wider or what.  The biggest different from grip to grip was the tackiness.  

And although I could never say that one grip in and of itself felt bad, I just didn't like my grips feeling different from club to club.  I thought my first set was just a bad batch or something, but the second set was identical.

Installation with air should take care of the first issue, but I'm curious about the 2nd.  Did you purchase them through a source like Golfworks or rather on the Bay?  The latter is obviously prone to fakes.

Ping G410 Plus Driver, TaylorMade Aeroburner 3W, Cobra F6 Baffler 
Callaway 2015 XR 4, 5 hybrids

Titleist 2021 T300 6-P, 48W, 53W irons

Ping Zing Lob wedge
Axis1 Rose putter

2 hours ago, dekez said:

Installation with air should take care of the first issue, but I'm curious about the 2nd.  Did you purchase them through a source like Golfworks or rather on the Bay?  The latter is obviously prone to fakes.

Bough them directly from regal brands (I believe that's the name of their main distributor/owner).

I have no one that I know of( called plenty) that installs grips with air around here.  That worries me.  Don’t want to pay big bucks for grips to have them ruined.  

2 hours ago, Minarets said:

I have no one that I know of( called plenty) that installs grips with air around here.  That worries me.  Don’t want to pay big bucks for grips to have them ruined.  

All you need is cheap bench vice, an air-tank/compressor. Air hose with a nozzle that will fit into the end of the grip. Masking tape and Contact cement (I don't use WD-40, contact cement is a fine lubricant). First couple of grips were a bit awkward as I the hang of it and used too much tape which made it harder to slide on, now it takes 1min per grip. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Adding yet another update....

Picked up a handful of GripMaster Kidd leather grips.  I have one on my Wilson 58* wedge, like it more than I did at first, to the point I decided to try a full set with the Kidds.  

They'll either go on my current set of Golden Rams, or the endless reshaft project with my RIP Tour 115 shafts that are lying in wait....

Edited by NRJyzr

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I've had the same Roo grips on my irons since mid 2017.  Used tape to install those, but on clubs that are adjustable, I used an air compressor.  Recently away from the game due to a pinched nerve in my neck, I removed the iron grips to add a layer of tape.  Used the compressor to remove the grips with the tape underlayment.  Set them out in the sun for an hour or so, heated them up nicely, and with my compressor set at about 40psi, they came off rather nicely.  Had to get the tape out of some of the grips, needle nose pliers work well, then reinstalled with 3.5 layers of tape.  The grips are standard size, they say 2 layers max, but with having them for so long, they had plenty of give to get them back on.  The grips I have on the adjustable clubs are midsized, so I didn't use tape, just "blew" them on.  As long as you keep them clean, hot water and a plastic bristled brush, no soap, they should last a very long time.  Very happy with leather, especially here on the east coast of central Florida, with the humidity and spotty rain showers.  In the cooler months the grips do feel a bit hard or slick, but to remedy that I either use a separate wet towel, for a quick wipe, or blow warn air on them for a bit of condensation, and they are good to go.  Would definitely recommend, and the cost is a shocker initially, but going on 5+ years with them and playing 100+ rounds a year, no doubt it's worth the investment.  Hope this helps with any questions, or those that are on the fence about trying leather.  I use The Roo grips, but have tried a couple of The Kidd.

On 7/10/2021 at 8:49 AM, gibbiesmalls said:

Bough them directly from regal brands (I believe that's the name of their main distributor/owner).

Regal Brands USED to be the US distributor of TGM grips up until 2019 I think. The only two currently listed on the TGM website for the US are Golfworks and Golf Shafts America. I suspect Regal is simply emptying their old inventory. Which could be the problem. If these grips sit in a warehouse for a year or so, the tack on the surface will decrease. They have to be rubbed well with a wet towel or even wrapped in it and allowed to sit for a day or two to reactivate it.

As for the size thing, I haven't run into that much. I check mine with calipers after installation and adjust the taping if needed. Easy to do with air installs.

BT

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

I wanted to let everyone know about something I'm about to try. The b u t t caps on my leather grips tend to wear down due to removal and insertion into my bags. I have ordered some 1.5" shrinkwrap and plan to install about 1" on the grip end to see if that helps with this issue. I will post the results.

BT

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Ri_Redneck said:

Regal Brands USED to be the US distributor of TGM grips up until 2019 I think. The only two currently listed on the TGM website for the US are Golfworks and Golf Shafts America. I suspect Regal is simply emptying their old inventory. Which could be the problem. If these grips sit in a warehouse for a year or so, the tack on the surface will decrease. They have to be rubbed well with a wet towel or even wrapped in it and allowed to sit for a day or two to reactivate it.

As for the size thing, I haven't run into that much. I check mine with calipers after installation and adjust the taping if needed. Easy to do with air installs.

BT

This was years ago now, so regal was still very much in business in the US. In fact, I think they were local to me (socal) if I recall. 

I can't say I tried to wrap in wet towels for days, but I tried just about everything I could think of to get them to feel consistent under my hands, and I couldn't.  I tried cleaning them (with water, warm and cold), I tried reinstalling them (with air only). I tried them on different irons (thinking maybe it's the shaft diameters). When none of that worked, I even tried cleaning them with a damp towel and dish soap hoping it was just hand oils from handling them, etc. Since I first responded to this thread, I even reinstalled them again thinking maybe I was being too picky or imagined, etc... but nope, unfortunately they were the same.

• Like 1

Golf today was damp due to moisture on the ground, humidity in the normally dry Colorado air and light drizzle through out the round.  My BestGrips Microperf grips got damp but remained tacky and never once slipped during a swing.  These grips are really outstanding!

• Like 4

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

On 8/3/2021 at 1:29 PM, Ri_Redneck said:

I wanted to let everyone know about something I'm about to try. The b u t t caps on my leather grips tend to wear down due to removal and insertion into my bags. I have ordered some 1.5" shrinkwrap and plan to install about 1" on the grip end to see if that helps with this issue. I will post the results.

BT

This is a 3+ yr old TGM Classic Wrap (Driver) that has worn through pretty bad.

667122202_Beforeclose.JPG.c253a830f6a38e257acf09f58e80fddc.JPG

I tried 1" of the shrink wrap and that was too much, so I dropped it down to a little over 1/2" and it looks pretty good.

319111827_Solutionclose.JPG.967c4f9a9d79128d095bb6b4a3fbd898.JPG

Grip needs cleaning, but the shrink wrap definitely can lengthen the life of the grips due to b u t t cap wear.

BT

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Ri_Redneck said:

This is a 3+ yr old TGM Classic Wrap (Driver) that has worn through pretty bad.

667122202_Beforeclose.JPG.c253a830f6a38e257acf09f58e80fddc.JPG

I tried 1" of the shrink wrap and that was too much, so I dropped it down to a little over 1/2" and it looks pretty good.

319111827_Solutionclose.JPG.967c4f9a9d79128d095bb6b4a3fbd898.JPG

Grip needs cleaning, but the shrink wrap definitely can lengthen the life of the grips due to b u t t cap wear.

BT

@Ri_RedneckCould you please share a Link, to where you bought this shrink wrap? I googled but i only get Links to “cling film” type of shrink wrap.

would Electrical Tape = similar to the shrink wrap you used?

https://www.amazon.com/black-shrink-wrap/s?k=black+shrink+wrap

https://www.amazon.com/Electrical-Tape/b?ie=UTF8&node=256161011

On 8/4/2021 at 8:02 PM, JungleJimbo said:

@Ri_RedneckCould you please share a Link, to where you bought this shrink wrap? I googled but i only get Links to “cling film” type of shrink wrap.

would Electrical Tape = similar to the shrink wrap you used?

https://www.amazon.com/black-shrink-wrap/s?k=black+shrink+wrap

https://www.amazon.com/Electrical-Tape/b?ie=UTF8&node=256161011

Yeah, search for shrink tubing instead. This is what I ordered - Link. It's thick and tough and will probably last plenty long. It also has glue inside which seals water tight. It DOES come off easily because I used a bit too much the first time and had to remove it. Simply cut it with a pair of scissors and peeled it off. After seeing the thickness of this though, I think I may try to find something thinner such as this 2:1 electrical shrink tubing.

Also, 1.5" is larger than it needs to be, I just ordered 10' of this to try and will post if it is thinner and easier to apply. The b u t t of the grips measures right at 1", so it should slide right on. I also use a hot air gun to shrink it instead of a torch. It shrinks it more evenly.

BT

Edited by Ri_Redneck
  • Thanks 2

I bought about 30 gripmasters, about 10 years ago which were at least 5 years old before that.  Some UK company bought 20k of them for a new driver they invented and went broke, the grips were liquidated online for about 5 bucks each.   Wish I had of bought 300 instead.  Not a single grip has ever lost its tack even after all this time.  So don’t worry about old stock.

i too have used heat shrink wrap to repair my caps.   Simple and quick.  But if playing golf in SE Asia it’s way more fun to allow them to fold up.  The lady caddies are in hysterics amongst themselves  as they fold it back down.

i have been trying to figure out how to restore tackiness. Every article online regarding tacky leather is about how to remove tack.  But I think there is something that can be learned from that.  This article is particularly interesting and I am pretty sure it includes a precise description of how/why protack works.    still don’t know what it is though.  Shame bestgrips no longer sell it

https://www.equisearch.com/articles/eqtack870

When water penetrates leather, it forms temporary bonds with the oils that lubricate the interior fibers, then floats those vital oils to the surface as it evaporates

Edited by marktheblake
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Reviving an old thread... somewhere in here, someone rated the Best Grips putter grips in order from most tacky to least, but I can't find it.  Can anyone with a broad experience of BG grips help me with this?  I received a new TP Mills putter with a BG grip, but I really don't know what model it is (it's black and small).  I would like to try something else in their line that is more midsize and somewhat tacky.  Any suggestions?

Tour Edge c721/HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 3 wood/UST Elements MK
Ping g410 4h Tensei blue

Maltby TS3 6-Gap w/Nippon N.S. Pro 1050GH

SnakeEyes 685BX 52*/Callaway Jaws Raw 58Z

TP Mills Sycamore Hakd Made, flow neck pencil shaft, 342 grams, Grip Master Roo FL27

Carbon Ringo wide-flange, slant neck, 330 grams

GP Side Saddle Broomstick, 45"

4 hours ago, sm_watts said:

Reviving an old thread... somewhere in here, someone rated the Best Grips putter grips in order from most tacky to least, but I can't find it.  Can anyone with a broad experience of BG grips help me with this?  I received a new TP Mills putter with a BG grip, but I really don't know what model it is (it's black and small).  I would like to try something else in their line that is more midsize and somewhat tacky.  Any suggestions?

I have the microperf on my putter and my wife has their GT-L grip.

The microperf is definitely more tacky and grippy than the GT-L, if that's what you are looking for.

• Like 1