What is the BEST anti-left hybrid out there?

Have the Titleist 816H1 Hybrid set to 1 degree flat and loft decrease 1 degree to help the occasional hook I hit with this hybrid and every hybrid I've ever tried. Have heard about the Callaway Apex hybrid being the most neutral bias hybrid out there...would like to hear from people who play it

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ping G410 has a flat setting. Really works!!

Adam's pnt 2

The 2020 Mizuno CLK is very neutral to slight fade bias.

Callaway Mavrik 9° driver Tensei Pro White 50 S Flex

Callaway Mavrik 15° fairway wood Tensei Pro Blue 60 S Flex

Callaway Mavrik 20° and 23° hybrids MMT 90 S Flex

Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 4-PW & GW Modus3 Tour 120 S flex

Mizuno T20 Raw Wedges 50-07, 55-13 and 60-06 Modus3 125 Wedge

Odyssey Stroke Lab Ten 

Callaway Chrome Soft Triple Track

I find the Callaway Apex hybrid (2015-16ish model) to be “anti left“ for lack of a better term. The only other hybrid that worked for me was the Adams Idea Pro, and they were designed by the same guy from what I was told by the club fitter when I purchased it. FYI you can always bend lie angles on them as well if needed!

Apex... custom flat lie if needed!

Taylormade SIM - 9.75* - Diamana S Limited 
TaylorMade M5 - 14.25* - Tensei Orange
Callaway Apex 3h - 20* - Project X Catalyst

Calloway Apex 4h - 23* - Rogue Silver
PXG 0311p Gen 2 - 5-Pw - Modus3 105

Titleist AP2 - 50* - Dynamic Gold
Wedgeworks V-Grind - 54* - Dynamic Gold
Vokey Spin Milled - 62* - Dynamic Gold
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 8.5
Titleist Pro V1
Titleist Staff Stand Bag

Tour Edge CBX 119 by far!!! 2nd choice would be Mizuno CLK

PXG Proto 0811x 9*.... Tensei Pro Orange 60tx or TM SIM Max 9* ... KBS TD 60 cat4

TM SIM 15* ... KBS TD 70 cat4

TM SIM DHY 18* ...KBS Prototype 95x

TM SIM Rescue 22* ... Diamana Thump 105x
Srixon Z Forged 5 - P ... Project X PXI 115 6.5

Vokey SM8 raw black 51, 55, 59

LowTide Custom Fin putter

Buy a left handed one instead?

On a serious note, the Callaway Apex hybrid seems to be anti hook. I too fight a hook with those hybrids so much that I stayed away for years. I found a Callaway Apex for cheap so I decided to try again and for some reason it's one of the more straighter ones.

- TaylorMade Original One  13*

- Ping G25 16.5*
-
TaylorMade P770 4-PW  w/ KBS Tour S 120

- PXG 0311 Forged 50*
- Titleist SM7 54*, 58*
- Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 
- Srixon Z Star

- Vessel lite

I find the best "anti left hybrid" to be a driving/utility iron instead. Not sure there is a hybrid on the planet that I can't miss left. But give me a driving iron with a steel shaft......I'm good to go.

[size=3]2020 WITB[/size]
[size=3]Driver: Callaway Rogue Sub-Zero 10.5* - Aldila Rogue Max 75x[/size]
[size=3]3 Wood: Callaway Epic 15* - Aldila Rogue Max 85x[/size]
[size=3]2-PW: Callaway X-Prototype MBs - Project X 6.5 flighted[/size]
[size=3]52* Wedge: Callaway MD2 Slate S Grind[/size]
[size=3]58* Wedge: Callaway MD2 Slate S Grind[/size]
[size=3]Putter: Odyssey Sabertooth[/size]

I've posted this so many times now, but it took me a long time to figure this out, so it worth repeating. I've been through a dozen hybrids, trying to find on that would not hook. I could hit long irons just fine. 7 woods just fine. I was more than ready to give up on hybrids all together, but I kept trying because they are so versatile. And I would hit some beautiful shots. But then... the hook that made me want to retire another hybrid. I realized it wasnt enough to swing the hybrid like an iron, you have to make it look and feel like an iron.

Pick up a hybrid that has a neutral or fade bias head. Might also need to be able to add head weight. For me, the Callaway Apex has a neutral setup, has a weight port, and looks more like an iron. Checks all the boxes.Cut the hybrid down to blend into your iron set. I play a 38.5 inch 4 iron, and all irons decrease 1/2 from there. Therefore my 3 hybrid is cut to 39 inches. Thats an inch shorter than standard, and I am 6'1. Shorter length leads to a more downward delivery, more consistent contact, and a flatter lie.Add weight. Probably start with the shaft. I was buying hybrids with stock shafts that were 60-70 grams. That's way too light. Shoot for 85 grams at least. You are likely going to need to add some headweight because of the shortened shaft. I changed out the stock 6 gram weight for a 12 gram weight. Anti left cannon.

PING G410+ 9* TPO 60S

Adams XTD 17* Fubuki 

Callaway Apex 20* AD DI 85s

Callaway Apex 23* OBAN Kiyoshi Purple

5-6 Srixon Z585 Modus 120S

7-PW Srixon Z785 Modus 120S

50 Cleveland RTX 4

56 and 60, TM Hi Toe

EVNROLL ER3

Order it through callaway.com

Taylormade SIM - 9.75* - Diamana S Limited 
TaylorMade M5 - 14.25* - Tensei Orange
Callaway Apex 3h - 20* - Project X Catalyst

Calloway Apex 4h - 23* - Rogue Silver
PXG 0311p Gen 2 - 5-Pw - Modus3 105

Titleist AP2 - 50* - Dynamic Gold
Wedgeworks V-Grind - 54* - Dynamic Gold
Vokey Spin Milled - 62* - Dynamic Gold
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 8.5
Titleist Pro V1
Titleist Staff Stand Bag

Definitely agree, especially #2 and #3. Most hybrids are too long and too light for the average player, especially with those dinky 60-70g shafts. You can't expect a hybrid to feel and perform like an iron when you've dropped 40-60g of static weight from the club, and the subsequent timing issues that can often come from such a big drop in weight IMO are the primary cause of the left miss with people.

Mizuno ST190 9.5* Diamana X'17 70XX || Taylormade M1 430 8.5* Tensei Pro Orange V2 70TX
Titleist 915FD 14.25* Kuro Kage 80XTS || Taylormade SIM Ti 16* Kuro Kage 80XTS 
Titleist 915FD 17.25* Kuro Kage 90XTS || Taylormade GAPR Lo 3 20* Kuro Kage 100XTS Hybrid
Callaway X-Forged UT 20* Kuro Kage XT 100TX Hybrid || Taylormade RSI UDI 20* Kuro Kage 100XTS Hybrid
Callaway X-Forged UT 23* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 DPC 5i-7i 27*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey Mild Raw 8620 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Pro Platinum

Apex 19. My son plays one (I’ve used it) and it looks neutral at setup.

He struggles with pushes that he occasionally releases early to save the shot and the Apex seems to keep the ball in play when that happens. He had a very GI Wilson D350 hybrid before the Apex and he struggled with hooks and overdraws so we know the Apex definitely helps him.

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned or not but I've had the Callaway Razr X Tour hybrid 19* and I bought it specifically to eliminate left shots. It has a very neutral face and minimal head profile and it rarely goes left much even if I put a bad swing on it which is really the source of my left shots.

2016 Taylormade M2 9.5* w/Fujikura Pro 60 stiff
Titleist 917 F3 Mitsubishi Diamana D+ 80 stiff
Callaway RazrX Tour stock shaft stiff/Mizuno MP-30 2 iron with Rifle 6.0 shaft
Bridgestone J 40DPC w/Aerotech Steelfibers 95 r
50*, 54*, 58* Bridgestone J 15 wedges with Nippon Pro Modus3 125
Odessey White Hot #5

I was pull-drawing mine, I think the lie angle is too upright, and I play irons are slightly upright. I cut 1/2" off the shaft which effectively flattened the lie angle a smidge then added lead tape to the toe to bring the swingweight back up and it is now a club I hit very straight and can fade if needed.

I pick 14 of the following:
Ping G400
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood
Ping G 400 4 hybrid
Ping G 4-U
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54, 58 SS
Grips NDMC +4
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer
ProV1x-mostly
ECCO Biom Hybrid 3

Very surprised to see the G410 on several contributions, for me it was the WORST ever. It had the 80g tensei blue shaft (too soft for me) - EVERYTHING went left

I found the 915Hd good and the SLDR TP with the 9.3 Motore shaft was the best I ever used, I just wish I had it back right now...still searching eBay for a good clean one..

For me a heavier, x-flex shaft tends curb the "anti-left" in most hybrids

Well if the shaft was too soft for you then I would hardly call that the Ping's fault, yeah? The Motore 9.3 is a heavier and stouter shaft as well.

Mizuno ST190 9.5* Diamana X'17 70XX || Taylormade M1 430 8.5* Tensei Pro Orange V2 70TX
Titleist 915FD 14.25* Kuro Kage 80XTS || Taylormade SIM Ti 16* Kuro Kage 80XTS 
Titleist 915FD 17.25* Kuro Kage 90XTS || Taylormade GAPR Lo 3 20* Kuro Kage 100XTS Hybrid
Callaway X-Forged UT 20* Kuro Kage XT 100TX Hybrid || Taylormade RSI UDI 20* Kuro Kage 100XTS Hybrid
Callaway X-Forged UT 23* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 DPC 5i-7i 27*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey Mild Raw 8620 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Pro Platinum

So many good choices these days. Like many have said, shaft weight, lie angle, club length, and even center of gravity location are big considerations. I am a sweeper of the ball, so I don't put a lot of stock into the "you have to hit down on it like an iron" theory necessarily. Some of my recent favorites have been either of the Titleist TS lines (I play my TS2 with the Even Flow White T1100), either of the Callaway Apex clubs (2016 is one of my all-time favorites), Ping G410, the Mizuno CLK, and even many of the recent Cobra offerings with the right shaft.

Cobra F7 11*
Titleist TSi2 15*

Sub 70 939X 18*

Callaway Apex CF19 4-AW

Titleist Vokey SM8 54/10S & 60/12D
PXG Gen2 Lucky D
Taylormade Tour Response

I picked up three Ping G10's with the standard metal shafts (about 105 grams) … the 21 and 24 degree versions play no different than my irons when played at the factory lengths. As straight or curved as I desire - but do they land high and soft. The 18 degree version though is too long at the standard length and unfortunately needs to be cut to the same length as my 21 degree (if I do not want to hit left all day), thus why I play my 5 wood instead.

Wilson Deep Red II Tour (9.0)
King Cobra SZ (15.5), G10 HY (18, 21, 24)
MP-32 5i - 9i, Vokey SM5 50, 54 (F), 58 (M)
Rife Aussie