2020 Ben Hogan Icon blades

RobotDoctor

As a long time Mizuno player (14's, 32's, 18 SC's) I can say that the Icons take a back seat to none of these. They feel just as good and look just as good as any Mizuno, or blade, I've ever played.

• Like 1

WITB
Sim 9° Diamana Limited 
TM M3 15°
Adams Idea Pro 22°
Hogan Icons 4-P
Titleist SM8 50° 54° 60°
Callaway MD4 64°
Ping Sigma Darby

@Nixhex524 the icon looks awesome at address. Thanks for sharing. They definitely have my attention. What shaft are you thinking? Curious to see how this progresses for you.

Mizuno   STZ 230 9.5*   Tensei Raw White 65x

Taylormade   Tour Issue Stealth  3 HL Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5

Taylormade   Stealth+ 5w   Diamana OG Kai’Li 70x  

Wilson   Staff CB 7-P / D9 Forged 5-6  Modus 120x

Vokey   Sm8 50, Sm10 54s bent to 55, Sm10 60s all custom ground 

Bettinardi  Custom BB46

Srixon Z Star 💎  OR   Bridgestone Tour B X 

For anyone wanting a minimal offset, thin top line blade the Icon blades are a great iron. There is some offset but very minimal, hardly noticeable. The top line is thin and not chunky, for those who want that. The feel is terrific on well struck shots. As I have stated prior, these are terrific irons and the turf interaction is outstanding. Other than the limited options for shafts, there isn't anything I don't dislike about this iron. I am an old school guy so an Icon 3 iron with conventional loft dispersion for the 3-5 irons being 3* separation starting at 22* then continuing with 4* at the 6 iron (30*) would have been ideal. I am learning to adjust since I don't hit as many 3 irons compared to how many I may hit with the 54* sand wedge I have put in the bag. For the price I and the quality these irons exhibit I definitely think these are a great buy.

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

Hard to say yet, Wes... The feel of the KBS Tour V 120x is MUCH better than I expected, but I have to hit it out on the course or the range to see the flight. On paper, I would not be an X flex guy so I am thinking Tour V 110, but like the idea of the little extra weight in the 120. I will say the Icons with the S300 feel marginally heavier than the KBS Tour Vs.... The S300 feel really good too, but the pop of the PTx/KBS combo feels super human. LOL

I am sure I can manage the full set of Icons, but wondering if its necessary... The PTx are really impressive, way more so than I expected, I just don't like the look of them in the scoring irons, so thats where the combo set looks like the ticket... even though they dont come in black. I don't mind the satin at all, actually looks a bit classier to me.

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

Agree with all of this. I also was surprised at how much I liked the feel and flight of the PTx Pro. I didn’t expect it. It blows a lot of clubs away. Yes, the scoring irons are not quite as well-shaped as the Icons, but they are pretty good andyou only notice it when they are side by side. The Pro looks much better than a lot of other irons. Regardless it feels real nice and on its own I don’t notice anything about it. A little thicker topline maybe.

The best thing about the Tour V for me is it cuts spin a little and I get a penetrating trajectory that still stops dead on a green. But I play it in stiff. It’s a fairly stout shaft flex for flex.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

I am in the same boat as you with being very happy with the combo set. I could probably handle the full ICON's but love the combo set and the feel of both if outstanding. Still getting use to the lighter tour V coming from my $ taper but i am liking the results so far.

I took out a random AP2 718 to compare again today and the feeling is so much better with the Hogans.

Possibly a change in shafts might make all the difference in the world. My change from Tour V 110 stiff to Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff shafts made a huge difference.

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

Funny how that works, Ive never played the Tour V in anything but my original PTx and these and they’re perfect for me based on on-course performance. Others can’t stand them and swap to something different to bring them alive. My typical fittings put me into PX most commonly. For whatever reason theSe work so I’m not messing with it!

But to Robot and Simp’s point, the heads themselves are every bit as good as anything else on the market. Just gotta find the shaft that works for you!

• Like 1

I pulled the trigger on a set of combos last night (Thanks Chad!)

The more I hit them into my net the more I love them, I would never be able to shake the "what ifs" if I didn't buy these LOL. I agree with you Dave, the Tour V is a great shaft and while I think it feels fantastic at impact in the 120x, I went with the 110. I could probably do the S300 as well, but there is a distinct pop off the face with the Tour V, it just feels powerful. I will get to hit the demos outside tonight on the course so I will have more feedback but I am beyond excited to get these in the bag, this is going to feel like the longest wait ever.

Any of you order during quarantine? How long did it take for your set to arrive? Hoping mine is a little quicker, I'm standard everything and I was shocked at how quick the demos got here.....

Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

Good for you. What did you go with in the 4 iron spot?

Nothing like the anticipation for a new set of irons! I have my eyes on these and a set of Honma’s.@Nixhex524 if you can, would love to see the set progression once they come in. Curious to see the shape from address.

Mizuno   STZ 230 9.5*   Tensei Raw White 65x

Taylormade   Tour Issue Stealth  3 HL Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5

Taylormade   Stealth+ 5w   Diamana OG Kai’Li 70x  

Wilson   Staff CB 7-P / D9 Forged 5-6  Modus 120x

Vokey   Sm8 50, Sm10 54s bent to 55, Sm10 60s all custom ground 

Bettinardi  Custom BB46

Srixon Z Star 💎  OR   Bridgestone Tour B X 

Wam, take a look a few pages back. I posted some from address pictures of each and put them beside my MP20 HMB/MMC when I got mine.
@Nixhex524 It took exactly 5 weeks. I’m actually debating going back for a UiHi 18 degree or maybe a VKTR hybrid and some black equalizer wedges...

Got them out on the course tonight... and now I am debating going ALL icons... Could be the KBS Tour V 120 in the PTx but the weight and feel of the Icons with the S300 felt much better to me. I was flushing just about everything I hit with them and not so much with the PTx, so now I am REALLY confused as to what to do. I figure, I have a set of 745s, a very good set of players CB, why not just go full blades? And I have to say, the Icons play much more forgiving than traditonal blades. The PTx just looks a little chunky to me and the Icon I think makes me focus a little bit more... Also concerned the Tour V 110 is going to feel too light as the 120x did, not by much but dropping down in weight more to the 110 definitely has me a little concerned.

Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

Why not go with your gut and change your order to go all Icons? If they’re more playable than your typical blade (which is really good news), they’re probably not far from a cavity back. And you’ve got that base covered anyway.

The one thing I noticed going from 120 to 110 is the head felt heavier. For me, this translated into much better awareness of the head itself. Gotta go with what works for you...

Try full icons and let me know cause as much as I like my combo set I’d be lying if I haven’t thought about all black icons...? Nice! Let me know your thoughts on it!

I think the head change is a given, it's the shaft choice that has me a little concerned. As @CC Stryder said, feeling the head through the swing can be a good thing, but the Icon with the S300 have a nice balance in my hands. The KBS Tour V 120 felt a little clunky but may have been the head, or down to the shaft being slightly too stiff for me so that is intriguing that the 110 could feel a lot smoother, just lighter. I do like the DG feel but also wondering if the Tour V 110 might have a little tighter dispersion... Even with the Tour V 120 being stiffer, the PTx did seem to fly a little higher and thats never a bad thing. I'm going to call BH today to change the head order and discuss shafts with them then and see if I can gain some clarity.

Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

Just updated my order.... went full icons in black with the Tour V 110. I figure they will help get the long irons up in the air better. Gonna see if I can NOT change it up again...LOL

Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

Take this FWIW but I have the V 110's in my Icons and can't tell any difference at all in trajectory. Granted, I came from Mizuno MP18 SC's with Tour 120's. If anything, I hit the long irons lower but yet I've gained half a club to a full club in distance. YMMV.

WITB
Sim 9° Diamana Limited 
TM M3 15°
Adams Idea Pro 22°
Hogan Icons 4-P
Titleist SM8 50° 54° 60°
Callaway MD4 64°
Ping Sigma Darby

I think you are on the right track. The Tour V CPM data shows it is stiffer gram for gram vs other KBS shafts. According to the info on the Hireko site, a Tour V 120 is nearly a full flex stiffer than a Tour 120. And a Tour V 110 stiff is stiffer than a C Taper Lite X flex.

I think that is why it cuts spin a little. For me the fit in a Tour V would be between the 100 reg and the 110, but I can handle the 110. I like how it feels.

Interesting, and I will say, after some testing yesterday in the store, the KBS may be officially out. It does feel stout and light... I shanked the first three balls I swung at with a t100 head on it. Lucky for me there was another club nearby with an S300, was a new Titleist MB. I realize it's not apple's to apple's but the results were interesting. Shot for shot, the two irons performed almost identical but I was finding the middle of the face more with the S300/mb setup. I did nut a few with the KBS and they felt good, but I didnt feel the compression that I felt with the S300 nor did the KBS really outperform the DG numbers wise.

So, looks like I'll be changing it up again. Lol... I'm playing this morning and took out my 745 6 and 9 irons and dropped the icons in their place, not even bringing the PTx. Will see how they are once again then back to Hogan they go!

Ping Anser Milled 2  34"