2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

P760 Long Term Reviews?

Tree Levino

I'm looking at getting a set of these as soon as I sell my bridgestones. I remember demoing them last year and being in love but it has been a while and I cant recall how the turf interaction was. I tend to dig quite a bit and don't get along with Mizuno for that reason. Do the 760's have more of a beveled leading edge?

5 hours ago, naj959 said:

I'm looking at getting a set of these as soon as I sell my bridgestones. I remember demoing them last year and being in love but it has been a while and I cant recall how the turf interaction was. I tend to dig quite a bit and don't get along with Mizuno for that reason. Do the 760's have more of a beveled leading edge?

They do have leading edge relief. I'm very steep with my mid and short irons and I find that the new Mizuno camber works very well through the turf. Though, I've been playing Miura and Mizuno this summer and maybe am just used to taking pelts. The 760 are great but very hot off the face and weird looking offset in the long irons. Much prefer the look of 750 and P7MC

• Like 2

I went to order p7mc, but my shop sold me a set of p760 with a great price.  That's been a few weeks ago.   I can say these are fantastic.  Coming from 718 ap2...  these have great feel,  love the pre worn edge, great shape.  I think they were overshadowed by the 790 and 750.  I think they are a great sleeper set for any player.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 10.5* 

PXG Black Ops 3 wood hzrdus black

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid hzrdus black

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade  MG 46/52/58wedges

TaylorMade Tour X PROTO putter

On 9/3/2020 at 8:38 PM, TigerInTheWoods said:

They do have leading edge relief. I'm very steep with my mid and short irons and I find that the new Mizuno camber works very well through the turf. Though, I've been playing Miura and Mizuno this summer and maybe am just used to taking pelts. The 760 are great but very hot off the face and weird looking offset in the long irons. Much prefer the look of 750 and P7MC

Oh man a little good news and bad news. The leading edge relief is a definite plus but I can't stand a lot of offset. I've read similar findings in other threads but have not found any good address pics of the 4 and 5. I guess there's always the option of bending the longer irons a little weaker to remove some offset. This might help with gapping as well.

Odd... i haven't noticed anything off with the longer irons.  And I'm pretty picky about offset as well, since I fight going left. They have offset, but it seems to blend nicely throughout the set.   I think it's going to be a personal thing and not s hard and fast rule. 

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 10.5* 

PXG Black Ops 3 wood hzrdus black

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid hzrdus black

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade  MG 46/52/58wedges

TaylorMade Tour X PROTO putter

• 2 months later...

Anyone still playing these or any comparison to ping iblades? I hit a buddy's set briefly and decided to snag a set of the p760's on a somewhat whim.

QI10 9 ventus TR blue 6x

QI10 tour 3 15 ventus TR blue 7x

Stealth plus 19 kaili blue 80tx

P770/MC tour issue x100

MG3 50 tour issue s400

MG3 56TW tour issue s400

MG3 60TW tour issue s400

Taylormade MYTP Soto

Prov1x

Vessel VLS lux

Still loving mine!

TM SIM 9.0 with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X

TM SIM 15 deg 3W with Project X Smoke Green S

TM SIM2 3H with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 9X

TM M3 4H with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 9X

TM P790 5i with KBS $-Taper 120

TM P760 6-PW with KBS $-Taper 120

TM Hi Toe 50, 55 & 60 with DG S300

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5 

• 5 months later...

I've tried several sets and liked them but always went back to P760. I have an eye on almost brand new set of P760 and I think I'm nuts for thinking about purchasing a new set of discontinued irons. Ha.

Anyone still sticking with their P760's?

Edited by br61

62 yr old's Bag of Hacking Utensils

Callaway Rogue Max LS 10.5 Ventus Red Velocore 6-S 

TSR2 10* Ventus Blue Velocore 6-S

Callaway Paradym TD 15* & AI Smoke TD 7 wood

Callaway Paradym 5-AW AMT Black S300

SM9 52* & 58*

Odyssey DART 47"

I've had mine for over a year. Best year of ball striking in my life. I'm sure it's a combo of the heads and the shafts, but these irons just work for me.

-ZA

• Thanks 1

TM SIM 9.0 with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X

TM SIM 15 deg 3W with Project X Smoke Green S

TM SIM2 3H with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 9X

TM M3 4H with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 9X

TM P790 5i with KBS $-Taper 120

TM P760 6-PW with KBS $-Taper 120

TM Hi Toe 50, 55 & 60 with DG S300

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5 

• 3 weeks later...

How are y’all finding the p760 vs the new p770? I have a new set of p760s on order for a deal I couldn’t pass up! I’ve had my eyes on the p770 but I think the sole grind will be better on the p760 for me. Also I’ve heard the p760 feels a lot better than the p770? 

• Like 1

-Taylormade BRNR 11.5* set at 9.5* Ventus Red TR 7X playing 44.25”
-Mizuno STz 230 hybrid 16* set at 15* Ventus Blue 8X

-Mizuno STz 230 hybrid 19* Ventus Blue 9X

-Mizuno JPX 923 Forged4&5, Tour 6-PW Project X LS 6.5
-Titleist Vokey SM9 50F set to 51*, 56D, & 62M set to 61*

-Mizuno M-Craft OMOI Type 1 Blue Putter

15 hours ago, jetmech879 said:

How are y’all finding the p760 vs the new p770? I have a new set of p760s on order for a deal I couldn’t pass up! I’ve had my eyes on the p770 but I think the sole grind will be better on the p760 for me. Also I’ve heard the p760 feels a lot better than the p770? 

In my post few above yours, I received that almost brand new set of P760 couple weeks ago and very happy with it. I had couple sets of 2020 P770's with different shafts but I was never comfortable with it. Maybe it is that leading edge grind of P760's.

• Like 1

62 yr old's Bag of Hacking Utensils

Callaway Rogue Max LS 10.5 Ventus Red Velocore 6-S 

TSR2 10* Ventus Blue Velocore 6-S

Callaway Paradym TD 15* & AI Smoke TD 7 wood

Callaway Paradym 5-AW AMT Black S300

SM9 52* & 58*

Odyssey DART 47"

• 5 months later...
2 hours ago, SwooshLT said:

Just received my P760 irons and now going through the process of finding correct shaft......with only a few swings I can tell you that the feel is amazing in both short and long irons! 

They really do feel good.  I had a set for 3 months this year after I sold one set of i210s.  Really solid heads.  I had DG TI S400s in mine.

A Revolving Door

48 minutes ago, SwooshLT said:

Less forgiving than i210 but slightly more rewarding in strike?  You moved on to what?

That is basically how I would put it there.  Better feeling than the i210s, less overall "forgiveness" (my main miss being toe strikes) but were a pleasure to play. 

Season is over for me here now, But the Srixons that are in my sig currently in a split set of the 745/945s and because I have issues with iron sets, I picked up another set of i210s (will be the third set I've now owned...) that I will be rebuilding over the winter after I send these in to get bent (they are currently blue code and power spec'd 6-UW to Black and std loft, and will be ordering matching 4/5 or 4 i500 and 5 i210).

A Revolving Door

8 hours ago, PEI_Golfer said:

That is basically how I would put it there.  Better feeling than the i210s, less overall "forgiveness" (my main miss being toe strikes) but were a pleasure to play. 

Season is over for me here now, But the Srixons that are in my sig currently in a split set of the 745/945s and because I have issues with iron sets, I picked up another set of i210s (will be the third set I've now owned...) that I will be rebuilding over the winter after I send these in to get bent (they are currently blue code and power spec'd 6-UW to Black and std loft, and will be ordering matching 4/5 or 4 i500 and 5 i210).

Oh , don't get me started on iron sets! I'm lefty and best/only way to demo is to buy.....now that I'm working P/T @edwinwatts , I have easier access to shafts......but prior to this , I've had multiple sets of Adams xtd forged,  Nike vr pro combo,  2014 TM mc's just to name a few.....trend with all is progressive sets that make long iron play easier......but I'm also a feel guy and the i210s provided consistent feel from 4i down to U wedge......had a z785/z585 combo that worked but felt entirely too different . So hoping that the P760s are really close in performance to i210s but with shade more distance and I know they feel better.....will keep you posted!

On 11/18/2021 at 2:50 PM, SwooshLT said:

What's your setup? Shafts , set composition,  length etc...... 

What sets did P760s leapfrog?

I have the 3-pw, but usually end up playing the 4-pw with a 5w, 3w and 3 other wedges. I play a Nippon Modus 120x, +1/2”. I play the pw-7 2.5* flat and the 3-6 .5* flat. I just trust them more than anything else at the moment. I consistently hit the ball left to right a little more than a professional, 2 yard fade, but very controlable. I’m playing to a 5hdc, but tee to green I’m playing to scratch. I lose tons of shots around the greens. 

since it’s late in the year, I’ve been messing around with my other sets more often. I played a set of Bridgestone j15 mb’s three days ago with kbs tour v, x flex shafts and just didn’t have the same control, especially in my short irons. I have some miura 1006 CB’s that are soft and thin soled that come close, but again, I cannot consistently know that my ball will move in one direction. The set that comes closest is a set of Callaway Legacy Blacks. Perhaps over the winter I’ll spend a bit of time with the lofts and lies of these, but they seem to be every bit the equal to the p760’s except in the 3 and 4 irons, which I haven’t been hitting well in the Callaway set. Perhaps it’s cause I don’t agree as well with the s400 shafts, which are in the Callaways. Other clubs I’ve played this year are Rose Protos, Mizuno Mp20 MCC, Mizuno jpx 900 tours, iblades, adams xtd forged, which all simply don’t fit me as well. I just got down to Florida where ping inadvertently sent a set on i210’s that I ordered 8 months ago yet haven’t hit yet. 

As for my swing, I’m a bit steep, so the pre worn leading edge on the 760 works well. The sole plays thin enough. The tope line isn’t the world’s thinnest, but I’m not put off, as the Legacy Blacks aren’t the most slender stick around either. My irons are mostly bent about 1.5* weak which doesn’t effect the way the iron plays. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Mookieb10 said:

I have the 3-pw, but usually end up playing the 4-pw with a 5w, 3w and 3 other wedges. I play a Nippon Modus 120x, +1/2”. I play the pw-7 2.5* flat and the 3-6 .5* flat. I just trust them more than anything else at the moment. I consistently hit the ball left to right a little more than a professional, 2 yard fade, but very controlable. I’m playing to a 5hdc, but tee to green I’m playing to scratch. I lose tons of shots around the greens. 

since it’s late in the year, I’ve been messing around with my other sets more often. I played a set of Bridgestone j15 mb’s three days ago with kbs tour v, x flex shafts and just didn’t have the same control, especially in my short irons. I have some miura 1006 CB’s that are soft and thin soled that come close, but again, I cannot consistently know that my ball will move in one direction. The set that comes closest is a set of Callaway Legacy Blacks. Perhaps over the winter I’ll spend a bit of time with the lofts and lies of these, but they seem to be every bit the equal to the p760’s except in the 3 and 4 irons, which I haven’t been hitting well in the Callaway set. Perhaps it’s cause I don’t agree as well with the s400 shafts, which are in the Callaways. Other clubs I’ve played this year are Rose Protos, Mizuno Mp20 MCC, Mizuno jpx 900 tours, iblades, adams xtd forged, which all simply don’t fit me as well. I just got down to Florida where ping inadvertently sent a set on i210’s that I ordered 8 months ago yet haven’t hit yet. 

As for my swing, I’m a bit steep, so the pre worn leading edge on the 760 works well. The sole plays thin enough. The tope line isn’t the world’s thinnest, but I’m not put off, as the Legacy Blacks aren’t the most slender stick around either. My irons are mostly bent about 1.5* weak which doesn’t effect the way the iron plays. 

Oh wow! Where in Florida?  Great right up .....I'm lefty yet have owned most of the irons you listed.....currently in i210s which , if nothing else, are just flat out consistent....

I've only gotten a round in with PW n 7i on course yet agree that the sole/turf interaction is amazing......feel/sound component ranks right up there with some of the best I've ever used; Z785, 2013 xforged for example......not as artificial of a feel as PXG 0311T....

I'm fairly confident that I'll gain some yardage while keeping overall consistency even though these P760s won't be as forgiving as i210.....minor trade-off IMO 

Keep me posted and maybe we get together if you're close enough! 

On 11/20/2021 at 8:54 AM, SwooshLT said:

Oh wow! Where in Florida?  Great right up .....I'm lefty yet have owned most of the irons you listed.....currently in i210s which , if nothing else, are just flat out consistent....

I've only gotten a round in with PW n 7i on course yet agree that the sole/turf interaction is amazing......feel/sound component ranks right up there with some of the best I've ever used; Z785, 2013 xforged for example......not as artificial of a feel as PXG 0311T....

I'm fairly confident that I'll gain some yardage while keeping overall consistency even though these P760s won't be as forgiving as i210.....minor trade-off IMO 

Keep me posted and maybe we get together if you're close enough! 

Naples, Fl. I’d love to get out for a round if you are nearby. Irons are strange, I just found a really wonderful rhythm with these clubs this year. They just looked good to me, felt good and I just had it in my mind that perhaps I should just go with my natural shot shape instead of trying to neutralize my path and face. Little differences make such a big difference with the iron. I hope they work for you. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Mookieb10 said:

Naples, Fl. I’d love to get out for a round if you are nearby. Irons are strange, I just found a really wonderful rhythm with these clubs this year. They just looked good to me, felt good and I just had it in my mind that perhaps I should just go with my natural shot shape instead of trying to neutralize my path and face. Little differences make such a big difference with the iron. I hope they work for you. 

Haven't gotten a full round in yet but I did hit balls today......such a  very solid feel and just steady , consistent ball flight.  

15 hours ago, SwooshLT said:

Haven't gotten a full round in yet but I did hit balls today......such a  very solid feel and just steady , consistent ball flight.  

I've talked to multiple TM staff guys (like local pros) that all say they miss their 760s. They're super soft and a nice consistent looking combo set. Nothing bad to say aside from I hate the offset in the long irons. Could easily game again. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TigerInTheWoods said:

I've talked to multiple TM staff guys (like local pros) that all say they miss their 760s. They're super soft and a nice consistent looking combo set. Nothing bad to say aside from I hate the offset in the long irons. Could easily game again. 

The measured long iron offset comes out less than other player's irons ......I think Michael Newton had it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPKXSylfyjs

Edited by SwooshLT

• 2 weeks later...

Small update......felt intimidated by the size of the P760 compared to my i210 irons and really was unsure if this trial would actually go through.......I found a shaft however that allows me to hit the longer irons fairly easy;  

Elevate series......trying both 95 and Pro in regular flex .......each is an ultra smooth steel shaft and the consistency is shining through with the P760.

As I suspected,  the slightly lower flight and spin increased carry distance over i210s by 6-8yds throughout the set ......now using the beautiful Florida weather,  I'll attempt to dial in the set completely......

Oh , I did hit 15 GIR's on 6,000 yd track making 6 birds for a 4 under round......basically using GW,  7i and 4i along with driver and putter as the other irons have a shaft that is entirely to stiff n harsh for consistent swings for this old guy! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/22/2021 at 9:12 AM, TigerInTheWoods said:

You ever bag those legacy blacks? I actually used the 760’s more than the blacks this year. 

10 minutes ago, Mookieb10 said:

You ever bag those legacy blacks? I actually used the 760’s more than the blacks this year. 

I tried them out. TBH the short irons were too big for me. Have 620 CBs in right now with SSx1 DG X7s and they're super nice.

P760 after 1.5 rounds : transitioning from the reliable i210 into a smaller profile that's has me reverting back to shot shaping after nearly 8 months of point n shoot golf with the Pings. 

The i210s are a solid , dependable set but I found them be short due to higher spin. 

The P760 is lofted the same but flights lower for me due to a normalized spin number. 

Being slower swing speed, I certainly could use the help in the longer irons but seeing gains with short irons has a nice offset.....

I started off saying that shot-shaping is my mantra again ; flighted irons are much easier yet my setup with Elevate Tour shafts gives me a decently high trajectory.  

I was pondering strongly the upcoming Mizuno Pro 223 but there really isn't a need to after acquiring the P760 irons.......not sure why these aren't talked about more. Oh well

20211212_154202.jpg.20009e961dfc70b1f876c692c787b4e4.jpg