Hoarding OG Grafalloy Blue!

A.Princey

• 2 months later...

Bumping this beautiful thread to the top.

Anyone know proper tip trimming for an OG Blue stiff?  I have a new, uncut one (it's beautiful) and I would like it to play true stiff.  To my knowledge, they were made for full-bore heads, so some extensive tipping is necessary for modern drivers... please correct me if I'm wrong.

I have a Reg flex, full insert into a 983k and it plays a bit softer than the Stiff I have in an MP-001.

22 hours ago, JNewsted said:

Anyone know proper tip trimming for an OG Blue stiff?  I have a new, uncut one (it's beautiful) and I would like it to play true stiff.  To my knowledge, they were made for full-bore heads, so some extensive tipping is necessary for modern drivers... please correct me if I'm wrong.

I have a Reg flex, full insert into a 983k and it plays a bit softer than the Stiff I have in an MP-001.

If I recall, these actually had a short "parallel tip section", which limited how much tipping was possible.  In general, I wouldn't tip it at all for a driver.

These were not designed specifically for bore through heads.  So when they were installed in one, they played stiffer than the stated flex.  For example, the 'S' would play at nearly an 'X' in a bore through

Edited by Cwebb

27 minutes ago, Cwebb said:

If I recall, these actually had a short "parallel tip section", which limited how much tipping was possible.  In general, I wouldn't tip it at all for a driver.

These were not designed specifically for bore through heads.  So when they were installed in one, they played stiffer than the stated flex.  For example, the 'S' would play at nearly an 'X' in a bore through

That was it!  I didn't have the story straight after 15 years.

Thanks - makes sense.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/13/2020 at 12:51 AM, A.Princey said:

Ok, I finally think I've found the perfect feeling shaft. A little late to the party given it's a decade+ old, but a tipped Graf Blue S and/or X is the most stable, only shaft I can go all out with and still hit fades. I've scoured eBay and now have like 6 Stiffs and 2 X-flex now, but finding them is not easy. The following clubs are the ones where you will most likely find them(still difficult though):

Ping Si3, Titleist 983K/E, TaylorMade R510,540,580, R7's, Mizuno Mp-001, Cleveland Launcher 400 & Launcher Comp.

Not a complete list, but this is what I've found that works. Not many left after my haul, however, lol!

9436K43E9LGY.jpg

Waiting for a warranty SIM to arrive and assistant pro gave me an old Titleist 905S with a Graff Blue Stiff shaft. Boy that shaft is stable as ever. D6 swingweight with lead tape on the back toe side. It will not go left. Even has a skinny grip on it. I have to remember to not try to hit the fade because it does not pull. 288 frequency. Have to turn it over to hit it straight. Does not go as far as newer tech but still has plenty of pop. Now my 714mb soft stepped x100 irons at D3 SW feel like R200s. They are so over active in the tip now. Such an odd feeling in the zone. Wedges at D5 x100 just turn right over and no feeling in the zone. Quick flips. Odd odd feeling. Took my new Wishon 575MMC 6 iron with KBS 130X tip 1/8" at D3.5 SW Lamkin Crossline+  grip plus three wraps out to the range after the round and was flushing them. Would of put them in play today but club builder screwed up on the SW distribution. 9 iron D5.5 PW D4.5 7 iron D2(not happy right now to say the least). 

Going to put a TM tip in the Graff Blue and try it with the SIM 2 when it comes in.

Do you have any experience with the GBs in these newer tech heads? Any advice?

On 5/13/2020 at 11:57 AM, grm24 said:

You remind me of somebody I know well that has hoarded a stash of NOS GD Purple Ice shafts! I didn't like the original Grafalloy Blue shaft. However I bought a tour issue LH TM R580XD TP driver from some WRX member that had a more playable Grafalloy Blue "Tour" 75 S driver shaft in it. Smoother than the OG Grafalloy Blue. Of course I sold it LOL!

Grafalloy Blue  Tour is one of few shafts where the Tour version is softer than the non Tour

• Like 2

On 5/13/2020 at 7:51 PM, driveandputtmachine said:

I had a major affinity for the GD Purple Ice. I miss that shaft.

Original YS6  pershing or  Purple ice

all good shafts  discontinued in favour of high price versions

Can anyone please tell me why 60g of graphite with some filler costs  200 to 300 usd?

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Came across this thread because I was looking for an OG Blue.  My holy grail driver has always been the SMT 455DB with a blue stiff jammed all the way into that deep bore, and I must attest that it is anti-left and longest combo I've ever hit to this day still.  Never ballooning and just the most beautiful penetrating mid/high flight.  So I picked up an 8 degree 455 that I'm going to strip and repaint and was trying to decide what to shaft it with.  Looks like I'll be on the lookout for the elusive OG Blue!

• Like 2

if anyone would part with either a 60-70g version in x please let me know via PM...i have an experiment in mind. 

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

Love that shaft, have a 70x in a HiBore XL Tour that comes out from time to time.

Taylormade Sim 9° (set to 7°) - Fuji 53k X 

Cobra Rad Speed Tour 5 Wood 16° - Speeder 757 Evo TS X

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X

Cleveland ZipCore 50° - Tour S400
Ping Glide Pro Forged 54°/ Eye Toe 59°  - Tour S400
Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

I got one of these in a regular in my 2007 burner driver..... Stiffer than anything else I've touched lol

Taylormade SIM2 - Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 70 6.5

Cobra LTD 3w - Project X Evenflow Black 85 6.0

Cobra LTD 5w - Project X Evenflow Black 85 6.0

PXG 0311x 4 DI - Mitsubishi MMT 90s

New Level 902 OS 5-PW - Mitsubishi MMT 105s
New Level 902 OS 50 - Mitsubishi MMT 105x

Scratch Forged SS 56 - Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Scratch Forged SS 60 - Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Custom MackMade Putter

Vice Pro

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/27/2021 at 4:50 PM, JNewsted said:

Here are the tip trim instructions for the og blue. I found it cause I just got a shaft and wanted to make sure I was doing it right

13192911-81B2-464A-BDB4-DDE5DBCA17E6.jpeg

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, rorykoepka said:

Here are the tip trim instructions for the og blue. I found it cause I just got a shaft and wanted to make sure I was doing it right

13192911-81B2-464A-BDB4-DDE5DBCA17E6.jpeg

This chart has more details, and was used for ALL Grafalloy models made before 2009
58946196_TrueTempertiptrimpre2009.JPG.3daa7cce0cdcebc2e130b4138e39cf7c.JPG

The later BLUE (White) is stronger, and designed for STANDARD bore to play like the OG BLUE as Through bore, or like the OG Blue is tip trimmed 1.25 in a standard bore

• Like 2

DO NOT SEND PMs WITH CLUB TECH QUESTIONS - USE THE PUBLIC FORUM.

6 minutes ago, Howard_Jones said:

This chart has more details, and was used for ALL Grafalloy models made before 2009

The later BLUE (White) is stronger, and designed for STANDARD bore to play like the OG BLUE as Through bore, or like the OG Blue is tip trimmed 1.25 in a standard bore

Much cleaner than my post 😂. Btw I ended up taking my 3 wood shaft that had a cracked tip and just made it a 5 wood shaft. Previous owner had only tipped it 1.25 inches in the 3 wood I pulled it from so it ended up working out where I cut another inch off the tip. Your 24.5 inch tip to graphic measurement was a life saver in figuring this out

• Like 1

On 8/20/2021 at 10:59 AM, gioguy21 said:

if anyone would part with either a 60-70g version in x please let me know via PM...i have an experiment in mind. 

Dude.. you and your experiments.

I do have a tour issued Superquad and matching R7 steel 13*.. both with the blue shaft. Not X flex but marked TS. 

PXG Gen 4 0811XT 9* Tensei White AV RAW 65X

PXG Gen 4 0341X 3W Tensei White AV RAW 75X

PXG Gen 1 0211 19* Tensei White AV RAW 90X

PXG 0317ST 4-W Extreme Darkness PX LZ 6.5

PXG SD2 50* & 54 PX LZ 6.0

PXG SD 58*

PXG Battle Ready Bat Attack Slant neck 34" 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm hoping someone on here can help me since a search on the web has been less than useful.  I just picked up a Graffaloy Blue Superlight X (didn't notice the 'superlight' until it arrived) and I was hoping someone could let me know what the difference is between this and the 'normal' Blue?  

Any idea on specs and weight?  

Any information would be extremely helpful!

7 hours ago, noaces06 said:

I'm hoping someone on here can help me since a search on the web has been less than useful.  I just picked up a Graffaloy Blue Superlight X (didn't notice the 'superlight' until it arrived) and I was hoping someone could let me know what the difference is between this and the 'normal' Blue?  

Any idea on specs and weight?  

Any information would be extremely helpful!

Grafalloy Blue Superlite is 56 grams  and 57 grams .
Bend point is high. TQ is 4.0
(mentioned in GolfSmiths 2004 catalog, NOT on Grafalloys web)

The OG BLUE is 63 grams with a TQ of 2.8
it has a 90 gram "brother" as wood shaft, later also a 75 grams version thats was stiffer than the 63 gram.

BLUE TOUR is a 3 animal, a 70 gram shaft thats softer than the OG 63 gram version, and the TOUR has a TQ of 4.0

So, the BLUE was actually several models, or a model family of shafts.

Edited by Howard_Jones
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Howard_Jones said:

it has a 90 gram "brother" as wood shaft, later also a 75 grams version thats was stiffer than the 63 gram.

BLUE TOUR is a 3 animal, a 70 gram shaft thats softer than the OG 63 gram version, and the TOUR has a TQ of 4.0

Thank you!

4 hours ago, Howard_Jones said:

@Howard_Jones - if I use the tipping chart that someone added earlier and tip this 1.25", how much would that effect the TQ? 

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/28/2021 at 2:49 PM, noaces06 said:

@Howard_Jones - if I use the tipping chart that someone added earlier and tip this 1.25", how much would that effect the TQ? 

Compared to its original design, no change, since this is to equalize for hosel specs from bore trough to standard bore. Whats below the hosel top want flex, so all we did was to make the part of the shaft thats above the hosel as equal as possible, so if we put this clubs side by side, the shaft above the hosel will be very close to the same as this shaft was designed to play

In general going shorter = lower TQ, but thats a non issue, thats the nature of all shafts, but here we dont go shorter, we only equalize the tip side.

I have one in a TM R580 that I caved the face in as a junior. Wasn't worth selling so it has been sitting for 15 years. 

Always wanted to put the shaft in a modern driver, but didn't think a .350 tip would fit into a modern .335 adapter. 

Any ideas? I would be for a TM driver. 

Ping G430 Max 10.5* w/ GD Tour AD TP
TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 18* w/ GD Tour AD DI

Srixon ZX MkII 19* & 24* w/x100
Titleist T100s w/ PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 48-52-56-61 w/ PX 6.5

Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Mil Spec  

On 9/17/2021 at 2:32 PM, Howard_Jones said:

Hey Howard, a little off topic but does this also apply to the original Diamana whiteboard and blueboards too? Trying to figure out if those were also designed for through bore like the grafalloy blue

8 minutes ago, rorykoepka said:

Hey Howard, a little off topic but does this also apply to the original Diamana whiteboard and blueboards too? Trying to figure out if those were also designed for through bore like the grafalloy blue

As far as i know, True Temper /Grafalloy NEVER made any of the DIAMANA models, they comes from another company, and i have no clue about what tip trim instructions they have or had, so you will have to look them up. Specs not found on their webpage now, can often be found at wayback

https://web.archive.org/web/20100515000000*/https://www.mca-golf.com