Mack Made Putter Review

Some of you may have seen a Mack Made putter photo on this site or on Instagram at some point. I couldn’t find any useful information or any reviews of his putters anywhere, but I decided to take a leap of faith and have Josey make me a custom oil quenched stainless Hudson Wide with his deeper milling and an etched spiral on the bottom and back flange. See photos below. My specific oily finish may not be to your liking, but I guarantee this dude can finish it the way you want it. Check out his Instagram feed for examples.

The putter only took a month to complete, which is lightning fast for a complete custom milled putter from start to finish. He apparently designs and mills them himself, so he can machine etch anything you want into the putter (hence the spiral on the bottom). He sent me a video of the spiral design on CAD before he let it rip, along with other videos (mostly on the weekends) of every step along the way and was very responsive with all my questions.

I’ve used this putter indoors a bunch and I now have like 10 rounds under my belt with it. The deeper milling gives this putter a buttery soft feel with a very pleasing deeper “tock” sound; it’s not clicky. The roll is great; it’s almost like the putter spontaneously absorbs the ball and then propels it forward. Distance control is a little tricky on the course with the larger and slightly heavier head (I estimate it’s about 375 grams or so: neck and body combined); however, it’s super easy to aim and is awesome for shorter putts. I’ve been dropping a lot of 5-10 foot putts with this thing (had my first eagle ever on a greasy 10-ft bender with this putter, so worth the price of admission just for that). I’ve also been sneaking in some longer birdies here and there when I get the speed right. The sweet spot seems larger on this Hudson Wide putter than any other milled putter I’ve tried (e.g; Byron Morgan Channel Island, Xenon Manta, TP Mills Trad XL, TP Mills Tour Issue Nellie Wings, Goodwood G7, TP Mills Sycamore Halfback, Lajosi Bayzie, Kevin Burns 703). The weighting is spot-on and the putter is really easy to smoothly swing. It sets up so nicely next to the ball; just plunks down square with no rocking, and like I said, is very easy to aim with the subtle lines on the flange and the top line. Oh yeah, the head cover is really high quality magnetic with a velvety interior, which was a nice added bonus...

I don’t personally know Josey or have any affiliation with Mack Made, so I have no stake in the game. I’m just a dude that has some extra money to blow on high-quality milled putters. I took a chance and I’m very happy with my purchase from Mack Made. It was absolutely worth the money and performs on the course. I’ve bought and sold a lot of putters along the way; this dude makes some real deal high-quality stuff.

Z5MT9VOZR00T.jpeg

CT36HARB8E8V.jpeg

WKAV8DT8EW2D.jpeg

BVJ5LCB71GOK.jpeg

5T26QQ7YFKTK.jpeg

WTJPL5G06W5X.jpeg

FDW2QVI7HAYR.jpeg

PTN0CJPI1PSU.jpeg

• Like 2

Pretty cool first review! Although I will have to give you a little crap about writing the review BEFORE actually using it on the course. I'm excited to hear your feedback after using it on the course and more specifically after about 20+ rounds with it. I feel like after the "newness" wears off and you are using it on a regular basis you can learn a lot about a putter and will likely find something you'd want different next go round. Hopefully it's dead on but as a putter ho, let's be realistic here, haha!

What's the head weight on it? Surely that's not 356g? If those specs listed on the headcover are dead on that would probably be the coolest headcover I've ever seen.

Where is Mack Made based out of?

Agreed. I’m going to use it tomorrow and Monday. I’ll report some prelim results back. I think the specs on that headcover are just generic and they all say that. I asked for approximately 350 gram head weight and it feels about like that...maybe a little heavier.

Ill tell you this, I absolutely love my TP Mills Nellie Wings, but this Mack Made is even nicer from an indoor rolling perspective. I honestly didn’t expect it to be as nice as it is.

I think Mack Made is on the border of Alabama and Tennessee.

I have a mack made putter that I bought it is insane the detail and the time he puts into the process it felt great on the course about a week ago i am still amazed by the color etc.

WEJDG18BZ24I.png

EHXPQVZVGPI7.png

• Like 2

Cobra F8 12 degrees A flex
Mizuno F 40 16 degree A flex

Wilson Launch Pad 19.5 hybrid A flex

Cobra F6 Hybrid 25.5 A flex
Cobra F6 6 iron  A flex

Cleveland UHX Launcher Irons 7-GWn 2 degrees flat A Flex
Tour Edge Exotics 58 2 degrees flat A flex

Golf Works TSI wedge 54 degrees 2 degrees flat A flex 
Mack Made putter custom 33"
Srixon Soft Feel and Srixon Q Star tour 

VTJBJPN5CIXT.jpeg

HMM2W28DBVZJ.jpeg

PQ7LCZMTR0V9.jpeg

AX2F9HUX3EM1.jpegMack made is the real deal. I’m in Huntsville Alabama and have met Josey and seen several of his putters in person. His shop is in TN very close to the AL border.

I had him weld a flow neck onto my Scotty Cameron 5W. The quality of his welds are seriously phenomenal and at a bargain price comparatively. He sent me progress pics along the way and even a cool time lapse video when he heated and bent the neck.

The milling on his putters is gorgeous. Last I spoke with him he said he had several head shapes programmed already and could customize them any way you want. He could also create a headshape from scratch. Anything you can imagine he could program and mill.

• Like 1

Not a huge fan of the Hudson Wide shape/design just doesn't speak to me but man I can sure appreciate the work and quality on that putter, his interview with Flatstick Focus Podcast was a good one.
Also @Stephen1125 that shape you posted is nice.

Lefty

Driver: 9° Ping G410 Plus - HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 6.0

3W: 13.5° Ping G410 LST - Aldila NV 2KXV Green 75X

3H: 19° Ping G410 - Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: 4i - 7i Srixon 585 / 8i - PW Srixon 785 - AMT Tour White S300

Wedges: 51° MD3 - 56° Glide 2 - 60° PM2

Putter(s): TP Mills Handmade - Kingdom Putter - NCW Boyd - and more. 

WITB Thread

I just saw this. Very nice and congrats. Your putter specs are on the cover?

Do you mind sharing how much this cost here or via PM pls.

Drivers : AGrindTypeDXanadu-DesignTuningIDV-JadeAdllerSankiPlanaria-Itobori-ReveToxicSevenDreamer
FW : ReveToxicSevenDreamer

UTs : A-Grind-Itobori
Irons : GrindStudioProto-ItoboriMXH-TitleistCNCPT02
Wedges : Artisan-GrindStudio-Orion
Putters : Benock-BPutters-Kitada-Machine-Masda-Nead-Slighter-Xenon

Haha. I almost opted for this one over the Hudson Wide. It was a little too similar to my TP Mills Nellie Wings, though, and I’m trying not to duplicate styles in my collection unless it’s a generic anser-style head. Here are some comparison photos between TP Mills Nellie Wings and Mack Made Hudson Wide:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeghttps://share.icloud.com/photos/068oCc3BANz9jTugEoIiwp8fg#Pine

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

I don't think there is a dedicated MackMade page so will just post here. Josey posted a new model and while pretty traditional I like it. 

mackmade_workshop_20201127_3.png.665c3da4a670e9f013ad3e62b0b84095.png

mackmade_workshop_20201127_4.png.a8e091eb6c30e10cdd1609feeb02c557.png

mackmade_workshop_20201127_5.png.c87ffeb53ce3ad44889bbe6804d68f40.png

mackmade_workshop_20201127_2.png.06dc511ca2466d1714e3e8a04103911f.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Lefty

WITB Thread

That’s a nice head shape. I’ve been following Josey and Mack Made putters for a long while now and he’s up to some pretty cool things. I know people keep buying Mack Mades because he keeps posting new putters on Instagram. I have no. 78 and that one above is no. 140. I would love for others to post their reviews (balance, roll, sound, etc.) of his other putter shapes. Mine rolls great for a larger, heavier head. Wonder how the lighter ones roll...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jonradus said:

That’s a nice head shape. I’ve been following Josey and Mack Made putters for a long while now and he’s up to some pretty cool things. I know people keep buying Mack Mades because he keeps posting new putters on Instagram. I have no. 78 and that one above is no. 140. I would love for others to post their reviews (balance, roll, sound, etc.) of his other putter shapes. Mine rolls great for a larger, heavier head. Wonder how the lighter ones roll...

Yeah seems like a lot of people are happy with his work. I like his stuff as well just there isn't a shape I love that makes me want one but this more classic shape could be one in the future. Just want to see more examples and more reviews if possible. There are a few putter makers like this, really good work, lots of purchases but not many reviews.

Lefty

WITB Thread

That "Jack Daniels" sole engraving is so cool!

• Like 1

Drivers : AGrindTypeDXanadu-DesignTuningIDV-JadeAdllerSankiPlanaria-Itobori-ReveToxicSevenDreamer
FW : ReveToxicSevenDreamer

UTs : A-Grind-Itobori
Irons : GrindStudioProto-ItoboriMXH-TitleistCNCPT02
Wedges : Artisan-GrindStudio-Orion
Putters : Benock-BPutters-Kitada-Machine-Masda-Nead-Slighter-Xenon

2 hours ago, MattM97 said:

Yeah seems like a lot of people are happy with his work. I like his stuff as well just there isn't a shape I love that makes me want one but this more classic shape could be one in the future. Just want to see more examples and more reviews if possible. There are a few putter makers like this, really good work, lots of purchases but not many reviews.

I’ve only ever seen one of Josey’s pieces sold on here, then subsequently sold on eBay. That’s quite a collective feat for all of us putter ho’s. Just in the past month, I’ve seen a Byron and a TP Mills bought, then posted on eBay within a day. Haven’t seen that with Mack Made...yet.

1 hour ago, jonradus said:

I’ve only ever seen one of Josey’s pieces sold on here, then subsequently sold on eBay. That’s quite a collective feat for all of us putter ho’s. Just in the past month, I’ve seen a Byron and a TP Mills bought, then posted on eBay within a day. Haven’t seen that with Mack Made...yet.

Yeah not seeing a lot of putters from a certain maker for sale is a good thing I guess. But the eBay resale seems to be happening a lot, I've seen it with some LH putters as well. Guess they try for more money, or less PMs asking random questions. 

Lefty

WITB Thread

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/30/2020 at 11:43 PM, josey said:

If I may. %95 of my putters are made with very personalized customization. And I kind of like it that way. I get a sense of pride knowing that I am creating something for someone that will keep it forever. 

What is the price range of your putters?

Taylormade SIM2 9* AD-BB7x
Taylormade M2 3W
Titleist 913Hd 20*
Srixon Z585 w/Nippon 125TX 
Cleveland CBX2 50* & 56*
Odyssey 2Ball Fang

• 7 months later...