2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Do you throw or twist?

53 minutes ago, Nail_It said:

I think you need to re-think (reimagine) what takes place when leverage as part of the sequence of events that moves the golf club from a pre-release position into the impact position, which covers a lot of club movement distance...and a lot of forearm and hand movement distance too since you are interested in hitting the magical P6 position just so....  Point being - when you study the effects of how using torque and leverage will move/shift those body part power sources around inches, if not feet in distance, it becomes clearer that trying to put body parts in specific positions is a futile practice.   

Take a look at a hinged door (closet door, bathroom door, bedroom door) in your house. Study how the door knob part of the door moves when just a little speed (torque) is applied to the hinge side of the door. A little speed (torque) applied on the hinge side (while hard to do) makes the door knob side of the door move a much greater distance -  a few inches of travel at the hinge side of the door will move the door knob side of the door probably 30  inches or more. That's leverage! Something that will help you better understand your golf swing is that when the inside or the hinge side of the door moves slowly, the outside or door knob side of the door is moved much faster!  Is that thought-provoking? That is why you don't want to apply torque too early in the downswing, because you will send the clubhead on its way too early. There must be a timing and rhythm factor that lumberjack type golfers displaying their brute strength almost always negates.  The idea that when the inside hinge moves slowly the outside is moved much faster it kinda makes you think of Ernie Els' golf swing and how it's slow and smooth appearance seemed to defy logic.  

So, if you were strong enough to really apply a lot of torque to the hinge side of the door you could really slam the door with massive speed. Did you know that 'swinging left'  is a means (way/method) somewhat equivalent to applying torque to the hinge side of the door to speed it up drastically?      

Makes sense.  Thanks!

As I posted earlier, sometimes I'm just obsessed looking at a video and comparing positions to a theoretical ideal swing.  But I'm not really chasing a certain position when practicing.  Should I?  I'm more just trying to make sure I'm in the ballpark, or as Jim McClean used to say - the corridor of success.

I hit my 7i between 155.  When I see the average trackman stat for PGA tour is 172; I'm not chasing that!  I play at sea level, I'm older, and do not work out / hit the gym.  I'm not out of shape, but no one would mistake me for muscular.  So add all that up and I'm 17 yards behind average; I can live with that.

All I really want is more consistency.  Not just within a round but week to week, month to month.

Fun thread.  Thanks for taking the time to post so much.  It's quite helpful.

• Like 1

The PGA Tour average isn't average. So save yourself a lot of frustration and stop comparing yourself to them. It's like the hamster on the wheel... 🍻

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

2 hours ago, t91 said:

This thread has been very eye opening for me. The last few range sessions and rounds my ball striking has been very consistent. The one question I have is every couple shots I’ll produce a weak fade to the ball, feels like the face opens up to much? 

I'm glad you have enjoyed  the thread. Over a million others have viewed or read this thread too.  

Your clubface is not just mysteriously opening, every couple shots you just have a tendency to momentarily loose the ability to control it as you originated intended (like you had successfully been doing on previous swings.) That lost of control could be due to something easily understood like grip pressure tightening up a bit. Maybe on those random  shots you decided to pull extra hard in your efforts to 'swing left' hoping to capture that extra sweet feeling shot, thereby preventing the clubface from squaring  like your previous swings through impact.  If you've been following along you know that the 'swinging left' process entails a purposeful re-direction of the hand path. If you take a slightly different hand path direction on some swings compared to others, then your club of course will not have the same assigned characteristics (lean shaft, delivered loft, closure rate, etc. as some other of your swings where you were better able to be very consistent with your swing. That's one of the ][many] elements that makes the game of golf so interesting, yet at times so frustrating.      

Edited by Nail_It
grammar

There are two things you can learn by stopping your backswing at the top and checking the position of your hands: how many hands you have, and which one is wearing the glove.

I'm confused as to the shape of the hand path that best supports a "swinging" action. [From the top,] there's the notion that the hands start straight down a la Justin Rose (and maybe even in tighter to the body, like Sergio), the wrists release to 8:00 a la Monte, the hands aim to dump the club (at least with driver) a foot behind the ball (Jake Hutt), the hands go out higher toward the ball line then release down and around a la Bradley Hughes... And then there's Bender's method which looks like the wrists don't release until well after the ball (which always looks like more of a bee-line to the ball, which is a huge problem of mine)... Oh -- and there's the concept that the hands move up and away from the target to start the down swing. Assuming all of these "intents" are coupled with a proper pivot/turn, is there an "ideal" hand path "intent/direction" -- or is it just whatever widens the arc? Or not?

7 hours ago, KMeloney said:

I'm confused as to the shape of the hand path that best supports a "swinging" action. [From the top,] there's the notion that the hands start straight down a la Justin Rose (and maybe even in tighter to the body, like Sergio), the wrists release to 8:00 a la Monte, the hands aim to dump the club (at least with driver) a foot behind the ball (Jake Hutt), the hands go out higher toward the ball line then release down and around a la Bradley Hughes... And then there's Bender's method which looks like the wrists don't release until well after the ball (which always looks like more of a bee-line to the ball, which is a huge problem of mine)... Oh -- and there's the concept that the hands move up and away from the target to start the down swing. Assuming all of these "intents" are coupled with a proper pivot/turn, is there an "ideal" hand path "intent/direction" -- or is it just whatever widens the arc? Or not?

Here are a couple of Chris Ryan videos that may help.

FYI - With reference to the second Chris Ryan video (below) in particular, it may be interesting to you to know that Lee Trevino made sure that his hand path moved out and away from him in his downswing as seen at 2:06 in the Lee Trevino video directly below). My guess is that he did this to give himself plenty of time and space to 'swing left', which he did marvelously... Keep in mind that the torso rotation (with connected arms is what gets the hand path (along with the club) 'swinging left' or 'exiting left'.  With that said, if you try to swing left with just your lead arm, or both arms for that matter (don't let that right arm overtake the left arm!), without having your arms connected to your torso you will have no rotational power plant helping to carry the arms/club load  around the corner. If you are a big-bone fellow with strong forearms and shoulders you might get away without the help the torso provides, but the average person using just his lead arm can leave a lot to be desired when you consider you're trying to move your arm weight plus a resisting golf club that probably has an equivalent weight of 70lbs or more at the time you're trying to move it left.      

ru

Edited by Nail_It
grammar

There are two things you can learn by stopping your backswing at the top and checking the position of your hands: how many hands you have, and which one is wearing the glove.

16 hours ago, Nail_It said:

Here are a couple of Chris Ryan videos that may help.

FYI - With reference to the second Chris Ryan video (below) in particular, it may be interesting to you to know that Lee Trevino made sure that his hand path moved out and away from him in his downswing as seen at 2:06 in the Lee Trevino video directly below). My guess is that he did this to give himself plenty of time and space to 'swing left', which he did marvelously... Keep in mind that the torso rotation (with connected arms is what gets the hand path (along with the club) 'swinging left' or 'exiting left'.  With that said, if you try to swing left with just your lead arm, or both arms for that matter (don't let that right arm overtake the left arm!), without having your arms connected to your torso you will have no rotational power plant helping to carry the arms/club load  around the corner. If you are a big-bone fellow with strong forearms and shoulders you might get away without the help the torso provides, but the average person using just his lead arm can leave a lot to be desired when you consider you're trying to move your arm weight plus a resisting golf club that probably has an equivalent weight of 70lbs or more at the time you're trying to move it left.      

ru

Does Lee Trevino teach? Might make for an interesting afternoon?

• Haha 1

Nail-- I'd seen those CR videos before, but it was good to watch them again. Thanks.

As for the Trevino video, whereas you set the video to play part way into the entire video, the very first video has Trevino talking about the hands going out too much, and that you (he) wants the hands coming in close to his right leg. That doesn't look like what he actually does, though -- and it doesn't seem like you can swing left from a position where your hands are in close to you. Is this just a case of him describing something that he doesn't actually do? Or, is he really describing guarding against an out-to-in swing path? Again, it looks like he gets his hands well out in front of him on the downswing.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Nail_It said:

Swing It Left Around the Corner

That's almost my exact swing drill and thought. Get hands back to the right pocket and swing left around the corner. Loving it. 

When I get my hands low to my right pocket, I automatically see some ulnar deviation like @MonteScheinblum cast A from the NTC (amazing video series and practice them too). Cast B is the swing around the corner, which throws my club head with speed at the ball. A lot of speed is generated by that last throw, effortlessly. Body rotation comes automatically with my hands. I do feel my core muscles, but I don't activate them consciously. My hands left around the corner lead the way (cast B).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, KMeloney said:

Nail-- I'd seen those CR videos before, but it was good to watch them again. Thanks.

As for the Trevino video, whereas you set the video to play part way into the entire video, the very first video has Trevino talking about the hands going out too much, and that you (he) wants the hands coming in close to his right leg. That doesn't look like what he actually does, though -- and it doesn't seem like you can swing left from a position where your hands are in close to you. Is this just a case of him describing something that he doesn't actually do? Or, is he really describing guarding against an out-to-in swing path? Again, it looks like he gets his hands well out in front of him on the downswing.

I think Lee was splitting hairs a bit when he talked about the hands going out too much away from the body.   I think he meant that you don't want your arms pushing out too far away from your body (either by roundhousing or by the right arm overpowering or taking-over the swing motion) or by attempting to direct your clubhead or hands out at the target or to the right of the target. However, there's a 'just right' Goldilocks middle-of-the-road medium for a hands-to body/right leg distance that should be easily found - kinda like staying nicely in the middle of your lane when driving.

I think when Lee talks about coming close to the right leg he's actually talking about how his downswing motion (e.g. torso pivot, leg drive, arm pull) all influence his hand path to ultimately at some point in his downswing come reasonably close to his right leg. And that actually starts from a hand position that is unquestionably a bit further away from his body than other tour players may find practical, feasible or useful for them. That said, it's very clear that Lee purposely wants his hand path away from him a little in his mid-downswing (by some amount that he has found works well for him). And, I think the reason he does that is because (as I previously mentioned) it gives him more time and space to 'swing left', which Lee did marvelously... 

I think you can also relate and compare a baseball hitter (who has a hand path also) being jammed with his arms and hands too close to his body without much time or space to swing the bat.     

Edited by Nail_It
grammar

8 hours ago, iSwing said:

--unless one knows how to merge arm rotation with body rotation as opposing forces which creates shaft lean on an inward curve instead of a straight line.  Many teach proximal to distal sequencing, but merging distal to proximal pins the golf ball end of the club to body rotation.

Far different sports, but with the exception of your mention of body rotation, what you describe with the merging of forces reminds me a bit of a boxer's 'corkscrew' or  'twist fist' punch action technique, which allows for a much better transfer of force into the boxer's fist and to his opponent's body. In the case of the boxer, if the boxer doesn't merge the forces available to his fist, the power of his punch will not be transferred to the fist, thus resulting in a weak/bad arm punch delivering far less force.  

Your reference to the golfer merging opposing forces that in your messaged connection is said to create shaft lean on an inward curve instead of a straight line - is much like what you feel and achieve when you merge a pulling (tension) force motion along a circular path (a.k.a. golf term: 'swing left' or 'around the corner") to create a strong circular centripetal force acceleration motion. That marriage of the clubhead mass out on the end of the shaft and a strong circular pull will indeed make the clubshaft (and clubhead) do weird things - one being to act much like a bullwhip snapping.   

Edited by Nail_It
grammar

8 hours ago, berndgeurts said:

That's almost my exact swing drill and thought. Get hands back to the right pocket and swing left around the corner. Loving it. 

When I get my hands low to my right pocket, I automatically see some ulnar deviation like @MonteScheinblum cast A from the NTC (amazing video series and practice them too). Cast B is the swing around the corner, which throws my club head with speed at the ball. A lot of speed is generated by that last throw, effortlessly. Body rotation comes automatically with my hands. I do feel my core muscles, but I don't activate them consciously. My hands left around the corner lead the way (cast B).

Really good, concise description. Thanks.

• Like 1

Jim H. - Thanks for the message and the kind words. I appreciate it...

I encourage you to deviate a bit in your practice sessions to gain some valuable knowledge connected with the following phrases: ''swinging left' or 'existing left' or 'coming around the corner' or 'turning the corner' or 'arcing it off' as Tiger Woods refers to the technique.

There's a  wealth of knowledge about the golf swing to be gained by experimenting. Numerous tour pros over the years, including the likes of Ben Hogan, Jack Nicklaus and Tom Watson have told us stories of how extremely important it has been to them to experiment with various aspects of their golf swing, some of which were believed to be quite bizarre at the time - even to the point of declaring some of their swing experiments as totally out-of-control. Nevertheless, as with anything in life that means a lot to us as individuals, we tend to go overboard at times in our efforts to achieve our most coveted desires and dreams. In the case of acquiring a sound golf swing when the golf swing is viewed by many of us as nothing short of a mysterious action, a lot can be learned by deviating from the norm of going overboard by pounding ball after ball after ball on the range with practically the exact same swing form every time.

Wouldn't you want to learn something new that is so eye-opening about the golf swing (not your current swing mind you!) that it would shake you to your very core and give you the heebie-jeebies and provoke you into thinking you are now finally in a position to reach your most highly thought after wishes and desires? Then, you could incorporate what you learned into your innate talent to make the exact same swing every time, except with your newfound pearl of wisdom embedded in your new golf swing form.

Let me give you a few things to play around with at the range to test the value of experimentation.  I'm betting you'll learn something - maybe a lot - and hopefully something that really turns your swing into what you have been searching for. These things I'll list are all related to the 'swinging left' protocol we've been discussing recently in this thread - they are merely deviations of what you are probably doing now when you practice.  Feeling and seeing what the results are from these simple swing deviations will hopefully provide you with some worthwhile insight for which you can use to advance your golf swing with better form and exceptional results. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

(a) Practice trying to cut across the ball ('swinging left' from P6 outside-to-in ) at impact with a slightly held open clubface in an effort to purposely cut or slice the ball.

(b) Do the above (a) from a setup that is purposely aligned (aimed) significantly right of the target. 

(c) Practice trying purposely not to 'release' through impact - instead make an effort to keep the club's handle moving determinedly left over your left foot with the shaft and clubhead retaining its 'swing left' 45° angle into a post-impact position.   

(d) Practice using your mind's eye and your torso rotation to control and guide the path in which you want your hands to take. 

(e) Practice with a downswing hands delivery position that is different distances away from your body.

(f) Practice with a downswing delivery position in which your clubface is slightly open, and also slightly closed. 

(g) Practice swinging with different degrees (amounts) of 'swing left' protocol hand path direction - where your minds' eye has chosen a hand point position that is over [say] your left toes, over your left foot, to the outside of your left heel, etc.

(h) Practice (as above swinging with a varying (differing) amount of lead arm 'swing left' force. You can get the club's handle and your hand path where you want them to be with much less muscular effort - see what the minimal amount of effort you can render in order to get the club's handle and your hand path where you want them. Did the change in effort bring about good or bad for your swing?

Good luck and all the best to you.     

Edited by Nail_It
grammar

Fred - You may have a degree of impaired or decreased proprioception which prevents you from having the normal perception and awareness of the position and movement of your body. This is often associated with, or a result from having a stroke and mini-stroke. Impaired proprioception would prevent or reduce your ability to visualize how, when and what you want to do in performing a particular task. As you can imagine this would be most troubling to deal with [especially] when an implement (e.g. golf club) is to be moved or thrown by an action of the body.  

Having a decreased proprioception prevents or limits the ability to sense future events. Proprioception (also referred to as kinaesthesia) is the sense of self-movement and body position. It is sometimes described as the "sixth sense". Proprioception is mediated by proprioceptors, mechanosensory neurons located within muscles, tendons, and joints.  Our body's natural ability to balance, rebalance and know where things are located (such as the tip of our nose without looking at it or feeling it, or in our case with golf - our fast moving in-motion golf club) is sensed by our proprioception and therefore we have the ability to control the club via proprioception.  

Proprioception is extremely important for even the casual athlete or anyone that needs to have the utmost or maximum degree  of mind's eye perception and awareness of where their body is positioned to perform their best. This also is an extremely important sense for the individual that must use their mind's eye perception and awareness ability to determine where a future event ( e.g. fast moving vehicle location in traffic, a bouncing ball coming at them) will occur a split second later after viewing it. For the golfer this "sixth sense" is so important that without it the brain and body have a very difficult time syncing up movement-related matters.

To better understand proprioception, gently close your eyes. Now, raise a finger and touch your nose. Easy? Good! That's healthy proprioception...

Decreased Proprioception can be helped with therapy and even self-guided work can effectively improve the condition.

Wishing you well...    

Fred, some of the best exercises or drills you can do to improve your proprioception is to practice swinging (and hitting golf balls) with your eyes closed.  Yep - Eyes closed! Excellent for everyone's golf swing...  It would probably surprise you to know how many tour pros do not focus on their golf ball  when swinging. They actually stare at the ball until it turns into an out-of-focus, barely perceived or recognized object.  But they know exactly where that golf ball is located, and they have already (seconds after last focusing on the ball) devised a solid plan in their mind and body to run their clubhead into the ball, striking it perfectly on the sweet spot to send it to the target. They don't need to visually 'see' the ball...they know where it is with their "sixth sense"!     I strongly suspect  that virtually all tour pros have a superb, first-rate proprioception.    

Edited by Nail_It
grammar

Fred - You are very welcome. 

See if you are able to balance on one leg for one minute, then change legs and do it again. Many otherwise healthy adults are unable to balance on one leg  for more than 10-15  seconds.   A young, healthy adult or child would have no problem doing it.  If you are unable to  balance on one leg very long, chances are you would be easily thrown off balance  during your own golf swing.  When that happens it's impossible to deliver the club to the ball with the coordination necessary to play good golf.  Practicing hitting shots off one leg or with your feet very close together will expose an impaired proprioception. Many people with impaired or decreased proprioception are also unable to easily walk in a straight line. Some of the best exercises you can do to overcome an impaired proprioception is to work on balance-related activities. The next time you go for a casual walk, work on your balance by choosing to maintain your walk (and your balance) by walking precisely right on the expansion joint groove cut in the pavement, or test your balance by walking on top of the curb.    

Edited by Nail_It
grammar

Interesting overhead view of Rory McIlroy' swing from above. I don't know that the overhead camera was properly aligned to capture his accurate hand path, but nevertheless the video is interesting.

And Tiger Woods' golf swing  from above view. It's difficult to see Tiger's complete hand path, but you can see the beginning path his hands move through impact. 

And Paul Wilson's golf swing from above view. Check out his hand path...

And Rick Shiels' golf swing from above view. Check out his hand path.

And Sergio Garcia's golf swing from above view.  Check out how Sergio 'turns the corner' with his hand path.

Edited by Nail_It
grammar

On 6/24/2021 at 1:42 PM, KMeloney said:

You definitely do not want to start your downswing with a straight down bee-line direction path to/at the ball. That's only going to jamb you up and trigger early extension. A wide-'ish' downswing arc is what you're after, but it must be done properly with the start-down that moves the golf club slightly rearward (longitudinally) and does not activate any unwanted wrist release action that causes casting or an early release. The  video below by Chris Cumo speaks to this.

Edited by Nail_It
grammar
  • Thanks 1

That Arc Means So Much to your Golf Swing 

► https://a773d140dd7167fad487-522057373f42f6e646e4f4ef62a38951.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.com/swing-left-to-hit-the-ball-straight-HD.mp4 

Don't be timid about having your hand path move directly over your left foot - or even outside your left heel. It's where bliss begins!     

Swing-Left

If You Don't Know How To Release, Swinging Left Is Indistinguishable From Magic! 

Edited by Nail_It
grammar

6 hours ago, iSwing said:

Adding to the corkscrew discussion....

Actually, the Shawn Clement 'Baton Twirl' video I've posted is spot-on for this type of wrist action release technique. Here it is again.

Edited by Nail_It
grammar

Image from one of the 'above' videos (a wonderful angle to see motions in my opinion)... can't think of a better one to show the arc of the swing / 'exiting left' and not having hands bee-line at the ball from the top... and also the pressure / pivot on the lead side to enable that hand path

Sergio.JPG

• Like 3

2 hours ago, iSwing said:

Yeah, that's a good one, Clement describing an entire 360 degree forearm motion sequence like one would find if you swung the club over your head like a rope. 

Moving the baton as Shawn does the forearm rotates (palm up) in the same direction as the baton's shaft, then from it's anatomical limit turns over, which, at the point of turning over,  is the equivalent punching piece Burke describes- the energy/force transfer- i.e., turning the fist over (palm down). 

You can hit the prettiest low flighted, highly compressioned,  high-spin approach shots with that 'baton twirl technique. Much like 'swinging left' is difficult for the typical amateur to wrap their head around and  convince themselves it's the right thing to do, the 'baton twirl' technique likely needs some self-encouragement also. If the ball is on a bare lie like hardpan the 'baton twirl' technique seems to always deliver excellent results.  You would not necessarily think it is easy to incorporate the technique into your swing because until you gain confidence in it, your imagination tends to run a bit wild with the chilling thought that if you don't pull it off you're likely going to paddlewheel twirl the  lower half of the clubshaft right into the ground. I guess ya gotta have trust in the unknown...

Edited by Nail_It
grammar

• 2 weeks later...

Chet - it's not how forceful or aggressive  you 'swing left'. You can overdo that! More force used to 'swing left' is definitely not better. It's also not how fast your hands swing left - that's dictated by your particular individual golf swing.  What's important is that your hand path is taking the correct pathway - which includes it being on the correct size arc. You're much better off taking a 60% swing and making sure you swing left with only moderate guidance from your pivot and arms to make it happen, than to swing at 100% with an improper hand path and/or an improper arc. It's the swinging left hand path on a smallish arc that triggers and actually creates the perfect release action that you are seeking. That perfect and powerful release action is hidden neatly within the non-aggressive swinging left technique. However, being too forceful with it only destroys the action, much like being overly forceful when trying to swing a weight around on the end of a string usually interjects jerks which disrupts and destroys the development of the swinging action you're ultimately seeking. When you practice, to experience the marvel of swinging left I encourage you to swing at no more than say 70% of your ability, and use a combination of your pivot and your arms to direct your hand path to swing left in a path over your left foot or left heel. Also, do some chipping - making sure your hand path is over your left foot or even outside your left heel. I think you'll be amazed at the results and what you will learn.      

Edited by Nail_It
grammar
  • Like 1