Any single digit guys playing Cleveland CBX2 wedges?

Been seeing rave reviews of these wedges. The tech and grinds seem very logical and the yardage dispertion and spin numbers I've seen on reviews is really good. I'm a very good wedge player, but the thought of making my slight misses better defintely has me intrigued.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Aldila Quaranta Reg
Ping G410 3wd @ Flat setting Grafalloy Pro lite 3.5 Reg
Ping G410 7wd @ Flat setting Graffaloy Pro Lite 3.5 Reg
Ping G410 22 hybrid @ 21 flat Alta CB Reg
Ping g25 5-PW Steelfiber i95 Reg
Cleveland Zipcore Raw 50* Mid, 54* Full @ 55, 58* Low @ 60 Hi Rev 2.0 Reg
Evnroll TR8 33"

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am definitely a believer. Tried it on a whim at a PGA SuperStore in FL last fall and was stunned by the consistency of it. Changed from a RTX3 to the CBX2 in my 52* gap within a couple of weeks.

Yeah I saw the offset too, but I think I will just bend them 1 degree weak and that should take some of that offset out. So I would play 50 @ 51, 54 @ 55, and 60 @61. One extra degree of bounce should

6 handicap here and bought a couple CBX's (54 and 58) from 2nd swing a couple months ago and absolutely love them! Way more forgiving then typical blade wedges (had vokeys before) and great feel as we

I am definitely a believer. Tried it on a whim at a PGA SuperStore in FL last fall and was stunned by the consistency of it. Changed from a RTX3 to the CBX2 in my 52* gap within a couple of weeks. Now that we are back in OH for the summer, I changed out 3 wedges (Ping Glide 3.0, and 2 of the RTX 4's) for an entire bag of the CBX2's. I am trying the full face in my 56* and found it to be very good also. Biggest benefit for me has been the consistency of the CBX line. Shots out of the rough that can be high on the club don't really lose much - i.e. more forgiving. I go between a 6-8HCP and short game is my strong point. Very happy with them so far.

• Like 1

Ping G410 w/ Tensei orange
Cobra F9 3/4W w/ ATmos Blue 1/2" Short 
Cobra 5-6W (oldie)

Titleist 818 5H
Ping G710 5-P w/ KBS Tour 120
Cleveland CBX 2 48*
Cleveland CBX 2 52*
Cleveland CBX Full Face 56*
TM Spider X 34" blue

I have been thinking of changing my wedges out to CBX2's. I like the idea of a cavity wedge.

The pictures on their website look like they have so much offset. I need to see in in person before I buy.

Srixon Z585, 10.5*
TaylorMade SIM Max 5 wood 18*

Titleist TS2 21* hybrid
Cobra DWS 23*, Nippon 950GH
Callaway X-14 5-PW

Vokey SM7 52F
Vokey SM7 56M

Vokey 60M
TaylorMade Ardmore 1

Awesome! Thanks for the reply. I saw some reviews where the yardage dispersion on slight mishits was almost non existent. I have not been able to see them in person yet, but I think i'm going to pull the trigger.

Evnroll TR8 33"

Yeah I saw the offset too, but I think I will just bend them 1 degree weak and that should take some of that offset out. So I would play 50 @ 51, 54 @ 55, and 60 @61. One extra degree of bounce should not effect anything.

• Like 1

Evnroll TR8 33"

6 handicap here and bought a couple CBX's (54 and 58) from 2nd swing a couple months ago and absolutely love them! Way more forgiving then typical blade wedges (had vokeys before) and great feel as well. It's easy for ego to get in the way and not want to get these but once you realize all that matters is performance the choice is a no-brainer and results speak for themselves really.

• Like 1

Finesse shots from 2-60 yards off tight fairway lies is probably the #1 reason I got rid of my CBX wedges. Standing a little closer to the ball, shaft a little more upright, picking the ball off the turn without much forward shaft lean just didn't look and feel like how I want it to look and feel. I'm a long time Ping G series iron player and they remined me a lot of G irons: light, big wide soles and toes, offset, very high trajectory, etc... But I'm usually not trying to hit it high from <60 yards. I find the Ping Glides (2.0 or 3.0) balance offering a smidge of forgiveness in a players shape/size a bit better (for me).

To answer the tight lie question. Constant rain here in OH all this week during the evenings so muddy and tight lies in front of all greens. I found the 56* extremely easy to hit off these tight wet lies. Didn’t chunk one of them and all but one were pretty close. Saved at least 3 shots each round. Can’t say enough good about all of them.

• Like 1

Ping G410 w/ Tensei orange
Cobra F9 3/4W w/ ATmos Blue 1/2" Short 
Cobra 5-6W (oldie)

Titleist 818 5H
Ping G710 5-P w/ KBS Tour 120
Cleveland CBX 2 48*
Cleveland CBX 2 52*
Cleveland CBX Full Face 56*
TM Spider X 34" blue

Was that with the previous model CBX or the CBX2? Because the sole grinds on the CBX2 are totally different.

Evnroll TR8 33"

I have Srixon irons and Mizuno T20 wedges. I found the CBX2 50 was the perfect transition club between sets. LOVE the Srixon/Cleveland V-Sole. Visually the face has more grooves than I would normally like to look at but its performance more than makes up for it. I really like the satin finish. So much so I’m thinking about refinishing my irons.

Go for it you won’t be sorry.

• Like 1

CBX2 50. Excelent gap wedge for full, 3/4 shots and chipping. Forgiving, consistent and more than acceptable spin numbers. Also offset is fine to my eye. Having said all that I would not game a 58/60 degrees one if you like to manipulate the face for different shots around the green as I do. Intringued though with the new full face but have not seen one in person yet

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Hzdous Smoke 65 
Titleist TS3 15 Aldila Rogue Black 85
Titleist 818H1 19 Rogue Max 85
Titleist AP3 4i Oban CT 115
Srixon Z585 5i / Z785 6-PW Project X LZ steel
Cleveland CBX2 50 / RTX4 56 
Vokey SM7 60 M Grind
Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Back up: Mizuno MP25 5-6i / MP5 7-PW KBS Tour

Wow! Can you post pics? Would love to see those.

Evnroll TR8 33"

Just ordered a 54 cbx 2 and a 58 cbx full face. I needed to go a bit stronger to match my new irons. The 54 will be mainly for full swings and I think the cavity will come in handy for this purpose. My current Glide ES 60 is my green side go to club and I'm hoping the full face 58 will fit that bill. Really looking forward to getting them. I ordered them with recoil 95's. I'm hoping the combo is a winner.

• Like 1

Like your choice in the wedges, but REALLY like your choice of college teams. GO NOLES!

Evnroll TR8 33"

Nice wedges, but those are the RTX 2.0 wedges from a few years ago. i love the look of raw wedges.

Evnroll TR8 33"

I play the CBX-2 in a 50* and original CBX in 54*. Both are great wedges. Plenty of forgiveness on full swings, spin and almost impossible to chunk a chip. I tried a 58*CBX full face. I liked it on full swings but could not get along with the grind with shots out of the bunker. Went back to my original PM grind for the 58*.

Also has anyone else noticed the CBX cwedges are almost a half inch longer than the equivalent wedge you replaced them with? My CBX gap wedge is the same length as my Mizuno 919 pitching wedge.

• Like 1

I currently play Z745's and transition to RTX4's. I have thought about the CBX2 as a replacement for the 50 deg RTX4 wedge, as I typically only use is for full and 3/4 swings. Maybe after all this discussion I need to look more seriously. I've hit a friends on the course a few times and it has a great feel. I'm just not sure that it will provide me much more benefits as the RTX4's are truly great wedges.

• Like 1

My thoughts on switching to the cbx2 wedges is how consistent the yardages are. 2-3 yds on a 7 iron isn’t that big a deal, but my game is built around inside 100yds. If I can tighten up my yardage deviation by 2-3 yards with my wedges it will no doubt help me score better. The versatility of the new sole grinds also interest me. I just ordered a set and am looking forward to trying them.

Evnroll TR8 33"

How do these compare to the Ping Glide 3.0's for forgiveness?

Wondering if I should get the CBX2's for the wife, she struggles sometimes with wedge shots and a more forgiving wedge would be really beneficial for her game. She is currently gaming blade type wedges, I have a 56° Ping Glide 3.0 coming her way, and may need to replace her 52° blade type wedge.

Would a CBX2 provide much more forgiveness then a Ping Glide 3.0?

I have not tested the Glide 3.0, however I have played Ping wedges for a very long time. (Tour s) But I think the sole of the cbx2 is more forgiving. It would a great test for someone to do.

• Like 1

Evnroll TR8 33"

OG CBX here in 54 and 60. Like others are saying, don't sleep on CBX/CBX2 if you're low cap. Most seem to see CBX more for a gap or sand wedge to transition from CB irons. For me the 60 has been the biggest game changer. I'd actually rather go back to blades in gap and sand, but that CBX is so good as a lob wedge. Out of rough it's like magic for full to greenside shots. It seems to forgive slightly fat and high on face strikes (probably just thinking that it's forgiving gives confidence). No issues from soft to hardpan, though I don't open the face like crazy. The 2's C grind may be better for that. People seem to be concerned that they would be too hot for touch shots around the green. I haven't noticed that at all nor any distance gain vs Cleveland blades. But that's me, YMMV. Please give it a go if you're on the fence, and not just off a mat.

• Like 1

D Adams XTD, 70M4X 3W TEE CBX, HZBk75S 5W Titleist 915F, D+80X

3I Srixon Z 545 4H Adams S 9031 6I-PW Mizuno MP-54, C Taper Lite X

GW Nike VPC, Tour V X 54 60 Cleveland CBX, DG S300 Cure CX3

If forgiveness comes from bigger clubface, thicker, wider sole and lower CG (which I think are mostly the characteristics that drive "forgiveness") then certainly CBX will be a step more forgiving because it's bigger, thicker, wider, etc...

The Glide 3.0's really look like they were meant to blend perfectly with the i210's. Go to a golf store and look at them side by side. Hold the shaft (head up) and look at them from the toe side down the sole... this will really accentuate the differences between irons/wedges in the players, GI and SGI categories. The 3.0 and i210's look almost identical. The CBX would be inline with the G410.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't know on the cbx2 wedges in the sand....I bladed a couple with the cbx2 and I never do that....my sand game is pretty good...

Callaway Mavrik 10.5 rogue Ventus black 7x/Sim 10.5 ventus black 7x

Titleist u510 16 1 iron ventus black 10x /udi 2 iron 130x
Sim ti 3 ventus black 7x

Sim ti 5 ventus black 8x 

ram 7 wood x100
5-gw Wishon eq1-nx single length

Cleveland cbx2 wedges x100 52/56/60
Callaway tank
Taylormade tp5x

(Just had a shoulder replaced and buying clubs to have the perfect bag of clubs that I may never be able to swing...:)