Who chips with what?

jomatty

Does sculling the ball count as chipping? In that case my 9 iron and 52° wedge are 50/50. 

• Like 3

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
Srixon ZX5 5 - PW Modus 105 Regular 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 48°/9° & 52°/11°, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter

Since changing from 50/56/60 to 48/54/60, my go-to is the 54.10 S grind SM7.

Driver: Cobra LTDx 10.5° Helium Nanocore

Fairway: Cobra RADSPEED 18.5° Motore X

Hybrids: Titleist TSi2 21°, 24° TENSEI AV RAW Blue

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP1 24° Recoil 780

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 AMT Red

Wedges: Vokey SM8 48°, 54° Dynamic Gold; SM7 60° Modus3

Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

I am learning to chip with all my irons.  But conditions are important.  My 60* still gets most of the action though, and if I have a tight lie in the fairway it is pretty much a guarantee that I will try a low spinner with the 60 (I love this shot).  

In the bag

Driver: Taylormade Sim2 Max 9*

4w: Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero

Hybrid:  Apex 19 3h 20*

Hybrid:  Apex 19 4h 23*

Irons: Callaway Apex CF 19 5i-AW

W1: Vokey SM7 54* S

W2: Vokey SM8 60* L

Putter: Swag Handsome Too

I was really struggling with pitching/chipping yips.  The pandemic has helped me in that I've hit hundreds of pitches/chips in my basement and have a better feel for using the bounce than I did before.  And I've worked on slowing down the rhythm and getting my hands to be more quiet.

I'm hitting a lot more shots with my irons rather than my wedges, hands high, gripped down, addressing with the toe and trying to hit with a wristless putting-like stroke.  the ball pops up a little and runs out.  if I can keep my hands/wrists quiet and not stand up, the results are good and my bad shots are not nearly as bad as a bad pitch shot (chunk or blade).  Doing this has helped me drop strokes from my index in the past 2 months.  by trying to make my mistakes less bad, I've taken a couple of strokes a round out.

• Like 2

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond/Mitsubishi Pro White Tensei 1k

Callaway Epic Speed 3w

Honma TR21 5w
Callaway Rogue JDM 21 & 24 hybrids

Callaway Rogue ST Pro 5-AW

Callaway MD5 52/Full-Toe 58

Odyssey O-works #7s

1 hour ago, hanfrac said:

I was really struggling with pitching/chipping yips.  The pandemic has helped me in that I've hit hundreds of pitches/chips in my basement and have a better feel for using the bounce than I did before.  And I've worked on slowing down the rhythm and getting my hands to be more quiet.

I'm hitting a lot more shots with my irons rather than my wedges, hands high, gripped down, addressing with the toe and trying to hit with a wristless putting-like stroke.  the ball pops up a little and runs out.  if I can keep my hands/wrists quiet and not stand up, the results are good and my bad shots are not nearly as bad as a bad pitch shot (chunk or blade).  Doing this has helped me drop strokes from my index in the past 2 months.  by trying to make my mistakes less bad, I've taken a couple of strokes a round out.

I use open stance, minimal body turn, weight forward, hands ahead in the swing and finish low. Never chunk, very rarely thin.

Ball position depends on the shot and whether I want to go low or high.

75% use 60deg. I've tried the multiple wedge/short iron thing and my distance control is just bad that way. I've seen a lot of people do well that way and wish I could, but experience says nope. The trick with the 60 is trouble lies and hitting it lower when needed. If the lie spooks me in any way or I need to run it a bit more, I will typically play it toe down, handle high with a more putting like motion. Toe down when needed has solved a lot of the negatives of the 60 for me.

Maybe 20% of the time, I use a 5i like a putter and putt it through any fringe or fairway height grass I can. Maybe even more than 20%, anytime I can I will. Used to use a hybrid but I like the 5i better because the face isnt as hot. Distances work out similar enough to my putter than distance control isnt an issue.

Maybe 5% of the time, I will use my 50deg.  When I cant use 5i and need more run than I can get with even a low 60. Or under trees w low limbs.   My distance control is worse here, so its gotta be an obvious situation.

Edited by doublehans

I'm probably the odd ball out here, but I use a 54* for 95% of my chips.  I was carrying a 58* and using it most of the time which left the 54* a lonesome dove.  I decided that I was more effective with the 54* in most cases, but where it really made a difference is when I was pitching from the rough.  The 58* resulted in a number of shots that were short of the mark.  The 54* is just much better from the rough, and I've learned to open the 54* when I need to lob the ball or play it out of the bunker.  It's just a better all around club and allowed me to reduce the number of clubs in my bag by 1.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, doublehans said:

75% use 60deg.

Same for me. Use the 60* most of the time around the greens unless I've got a ton of green to work with, then I'll use something with lower loft depending on how much roll out is needed (all the way down to 7 iron).

I'm a firm believer in sticking with one club for most chipping duties unless you have a lot of spare time to practice a larger variety of shots/clubs.

Callaway Paradym TD 10.5* @ 8.5*, Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 6X

Taylormade Sim Ti 3W, Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 7X

Callaway Apex UW 19*, LAGP Trono 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 4-5, MMT 105TX

Callaway Apex CB 6-11, MMT 105TX

Callaway JAWS Raw 54S/60X, MMT 105TX

Odyssey Eleven Tour Lined CS w/ Superstroke Tour 2.0

Chome Soft X

Chipping for me is off relatively short grass, e.g. fairway or fringe.  Rough is always pitching for me.  My favorite chipping iron is my 50 degree gap wedge, but will use PW to 8 iron for longer chips.  It comes down to what club I have the most confidence in and that comes from predictability from practice.  My gap wedge flies a little (but not too high), checks, and then rolls out.  Chipping with the sand wedge or lob wedge is just for those chips when it is down hill.  For basic chips, the SW or LW spin is too unpredictable for me.

I guess the other thing is technique in club selection for chipping.  I tried Phil's technique, but I just can't do it consistently.  He is amazing with it.  I don't like to use a lot of wrist set like Phil does it.  

Edited by jimb

I am using a 58* CBX 2 full face for 95% of my chips around the green

If I need some distance or roll out I will use my 54* CBX

The CBX give me a lot of confidence to launch the ball right at the pin

Driver -Cobra RadSpeed 9*

5 Wood - PING G425 16*

Hybrid  PING G410 22*

Irons - PING G400 5-UW

Wedges - Cleveland Zipcore CBX 54* ; Cleveland CBX Zipcore Full Face 58*

Putter - PXG Battle Ready Closer-34"

Ball- Wilson Triad 

After reading Stan Utley’s Secrets of the Short Game book years ago, I’ve mainly used my trusty 56* for almost all of my shots around the green. This simplification has been great for me. Once I got used to hitting different shots with it, I added a 60* and started getting comfortable with that—it’s mainly for short-sided shots or deeper bunker shots.

On 8/26/2020 at 2:11 PM, Bubbtubbs said:

I use open stance, minimal body turn, weight forward, hands ahead in the swing and finish low. Never chunk, very rarely thin.

Ball position depends on the shot and whether I want to go low or high.

If I try to restrict body turn, I think I become less consistent about finding the bottom and it introduces the possibility of my hands getting too involved and getting a little "yippy."  I often forget to rotate my sternum toward the target, but when I do, if I keep my rhythm stable, it seems to work better.

• Like 2

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond/Mitsubishi Pro White Tensei 1k

Callaway Epic Speed 3w

Honma TR21 5w
Callaway Rogue JDM 21 & 24 hybrids

Callaway Rogue ST Pro 5-AW

Callaway MD5 52/Full-Toe 58

Odyssey O-works #7s

5 hours ago, hanfrac said:

If I try to restrict body turn, I think I become less consistent about finding the bottom and it introduces the possibility of my hands getting too involved and getting a little "yippy."  I often forget to rotate my sternum toward the target, but when I do, if I keep my rhythm stable, it seems to work better.

Fascinating how different people can do things in a slightly different manner and achieve similar results. 

I love this game.

6 hours ago, Bubbtubbs said:

Fascinating how different people can do things in a slightly different manner and achieve similar results. 

I love this game.

When my teaching pro was first introducing me to the "use the bounce" idea for pitch shots, he demonstrated how all that mattered was the way the club was being delivered to the ball (with the bounce exposed and sliding along the ground rather than the leading edge "nipping" under the ball). He did an arms-only swing, a totally body driven swing, one handed with each hand, even hit a few ball with a lefty club. They all more or less came out the same distance and trajectory on a very basic 20-yard pitch with a SW. 

The message was, find and practice a motion that delivers the club to the ball on that shallow path with the bounce exposed and then keep practicing until you can do it reliably from various lies and distances. You can certainly screw it up, it's not magic. For me as an individual the arms-only swing doesn't work so I need the body rotation. My bad thing is when I don't keep a tall, steady posture during the swing and either dip my head or sway toward the target. But those things aren't going to work with any part of golf!

• Thanks 1

I mostly used my 54* wedge for chipping, but after trying chipping LH again(played lefty my first year golfing 1985),  I got so much better control of length and height.

Have issues with flipping RH, which rarely happens LH and use a RTX4 50* LH now for shots up to 40 yards.

I also noticed that practicing LH also helped my RH chipping, as I got a better sense of what it should feel like.

So now it is about 80% LH 50* and for flop shots or slope fitting RH I use my 58* SM8 RH.

Edited by Qwiksilfver

I’ll use almost every iron in the bag depending on how much I have to carry, and how much I want it to roll. My 50* wedge sees most of the action. I just bought a new Vokey 60*. I’m still getting used to how much harder I have to hit it to get the ball to fly the same distance as my 50*. I don’t have enough confidence in it yet to use it as much as I could. I just need more practice. On low chips with a lot of green to cover, I might use a 6-7-8 and have converted to a putting stroke. That was huge in helping me. I’m straighter,  have better feel for distance and haven’t skulled or chunked one since I switched styles.