2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Ping Heppler Putters in stores.

jtj74

Oh crap, I've been waiting to try out the ZB myself. Might be time to finally unload some of the putters I have laying around.

My only real concern is with the adjustable shaft. I think I might go with the adjustable shaft and get it reshafted if I decide that it's too soft at 33.75 inches.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5 deg.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 3L

Srixon ZX 3 hybrid

Ping S55 irons

Ping Glide 3.0 54 & 60 deg.

Bettinardi BB-1W

You can order it from Ping with a fixed length shaft, I am waiting for mine. They use Nippon for that.

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Well, it was love at first roll with the ZB, so I picked one up. First impressions:

- Feel is perfect. Exactly what I was hoping for. Solid and firm and true.

- Shaft is weird and definitely feels thin. The putter feels quite head heavy as a result. I got the adjustable shaft because I'm really sensitive to putter length. I'm putting in my house all the time and like the idea of just setting it half an inch shorter instead of wearing shoes while I putt. I had a Toulon that was cut short by like .25 inches and it drives me nuts. Similarly, my Bettinardi is like half an inch longer than it was supposed to be and that annoys me too.

- The gold paint seems REALLY fragile. I have a couple marks on the head that must have been from when I had the tech adjust the lie angle. I watched him do it and he was careful with it, so no clue how that happened already.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 3L

Srixon ZX 3 hybrid

Ping S55 irons

Bettinardi BB-1W

First round with the ZB3 is in the books and I have to say, it might kick my Stroke Lab out of the bag. I had a pretty good putting day, with a couple 3 putts that were entirely my fault (poor reads and tough putts). Most importantly, my touch was fantastic, which is impressive given that this was my first time using the putter. The firmer face is very responsive and just feels... right. Like the energy I'm putting into the stroke is the energy that's coming out of the putter face.

To me, it feels like an old school Ping putter that I remember playing with in the 90's, but with more modern weighting and MOI properties. It was just a really enjoyable putter to play with.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 3L

Srixon ZX 3 hybrid

Ping S55 irons

Bettinardi BB-1W

I don't mean to keep spamming this thread, but I just had one of the best putting rounds in my life with the Heppler, so it's staying in the bag. I've made it signature official and everything! My distance control is just ridiculously good with this thing. All I really want from a putter is for it to feel like an extension of my arm. I'm not sure how to properly explain this, and it may sound simple, but I want to be able to roll the ball with the putter intuitively. I just want it to go the speed that I think I need the ball to go. That's what I've been doing so well with the Heppler. I'm crediting the flat face. There's nothing to get in the way of the amount of energy that I'm putting into the ball.

In contrast, earlier this year I had a truly awful round with the putter I had been fitted for over the winter, which was a Bettinardi Studio Stock 8. Love the putter, but the greens were running slow that day and I felt like I had no chance to get the ball to the hole. The face is so soft that I felt like I needed to CRUSH the ball to get it to the hole. There was a disconnect between the amount of energy I was putting into the stroke and the roll of the ball.

More Heppler specific thoughts: I'm having no problems with the shaft whatsoever. I do play it a little shorter (33.75 inches), so I imagine it'd be softer at longer lengths. It does seem thinner than my normal putter shafts, but it seems to be made of some sort of graphite or something.

I'm something of a putter grip nut and love messing around with new grips. I expected to chuck the stock Ping one pretty quickly, but I'm liking it so far. I think it's a bit smaller than the one that came on the Sigma line, which I prefer. It's a hair bigger in the hand than a Pure midsize. It's a nice traditional pistol shape.

Obviously this is a minor thing, but the headcover is nice and quality, too. Fits nice and snug and has some nice furry liner. Long story short, I'm really pleased with this putter and think Ping knocked it out of the park. It's a weird release in that it's going the opposite way of industry trends (no face tech, smaller grip, site dot for the ZB3), but I really think people are going to enjoy putting with it.

• Like 2

Callaway Rogue ST Max 3L

Srixon ZX 3 hybrid

Ping S55 irons

Bettinardi BB-1W

I rolled the Heppler Ketsch today and I will soon have one.

Nothing is easier to align than the Ketsch. It feels heavier and more stable than previous versions and rolls the ball perfectly, even though my lie angle is flatter than the standard black dot. I had no problem with the feel, even preferred it to mushier counterparts. They also have a stock grip that you don't want to immediately replace. I had no issues with the stock shaft either. Definitely my next putter.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-)
PING G430 hybrid 22°, 26° (F-)
Irons tbd
PING s159 53W, 58B
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour yellow

So, uh, problem...

I decided to switch the stock grip out for a Lamkin Sink Fit Skinny. I had Golf Galaxy do the regripping because I was feeling lazy. I noticed when I got back that the shaft had been put all the way down to 32 inches, but I didn't think much of it. I let the grip dry for a few hours and just now came back to adjust the shaft back to my normal length. I put the tool in and... nothing happened. It wasn't catching on anything.

I figured that maybe the end cap was just a little thicker on the Lamkin and grabbed a normal, longer club tool with the same star wrench shape. I shoved it in... ALL the way in, so that the wrench was freely going down the shaft, and it still wasn't catching on anything. That doesn't seem right. I googled around, and it seems that there should be a plastic cap at the end of the shaft with the screw in it. That thing definitely isn't there anymore.

So... my shaft is screwed up. I'm going to go back to GG tonight to see what can be done, but I think the guy regripping it botched it. I wonder if this can even be fixed or if it'll have to go back to Ping. Jeez.

Update: apparently the guy cut through the cap part at the end, which the manager at GG said was easy to do if you didn't know what you were doing (which this guy did not). They're fixing it. Actually, they ended up just giving me a new putter because it couldn't be fixed. Yikes!

Callaway Rogue ST Max 3L

Srixon ZX 3 hybrid

Ping S55 irons

Bettinardi BB-1W

Rolled the Heppler Ketsch today at my course on our putting green. Was really surprised at the feel. I have only tried this one Heppler and others could feel different but this putter was not clicky at all. I use ProV1x Left Dash balls and they are some of the hardest balls out there. The Ketsch gave a good audible feedback but it is very solid feeling and not overly harsh. I love the alignment. It is a bit speedier than my Odyssey 7 WH Pro but I could easily get used to that. Our greens were freshly top dressed so I could see the roll of the balls in the dusting. The Heppler got the ball rolling a good bit sooner than the Odyssey too. If the putter didn't have the adjustable shaft, I would have bought it on the spot. Its better than last year's but its still not good IMO. I will probably order one with the C-Taper shaft.

30 putts today with the Fetch and pretty much zero practice with it before hand. Came away super impressed with it overall. Its easy af to align and makes a very nice "ping" sound when struck. Its not harsh its not soft its literally just the right amount of feedback and feel. Ping nailed it. Everyone was commenting on how nice it looks and loved that you could just snag the ball with it. The headcover fits way too loose for my liking but at least its got a magnet. I also noticed the shaft isnt black, its got some gold color to it. I dig it.

Yup. The way the adjustable shaft works is that the grip goes on top of this sleeve thing. The sleeves move up and down by adjusting a screw in the top of the shaft (the screw takes a normal club wrench, by the way, in case you lose your original tool). That screw is held in by this plastic cap thing (freeze the below video at 3:25). You can install any grip onto the sleeve just like any regular putter regripping. However, if you're not careful cutting off the old grip, you can cut right through the plastic cap and the screw will no longer function.

Here's a Golfwrx video on regripping a Sigma 2 putter with the adjustable shaft. This is exactly how the Heppler adjustable shaft functions except that the end cap is red, I think:

The sleeve thing also explains why the shaft feels thinner than a normal shaft - the sleeve is the diameter of a normal shaft (and a normal grip), but the actual shaft is a little smaller of a diameter because the sleeve goes on top of it. I haven't had problems with feeling any flex in my Heppler, though I do play it at around 34".

Callaway Rogue ST Max 3L

Srixon ZX 3 hybrid

Ping S55 irons

Bettinardi BB-1W

Finally got my Fetch that I ordered in late January. I've been gaming a Sigma 2 Fetch at 36" since last summer. Such a great putter. The Heppler version is terrific - seems less prone to off-center twisting (though the Sigma version was fine as it was), the feel is way better than the Sigma, and it looks so much better. I had the PP60 grip on the Sigma, have the PP59 on the Heppler. They do not perform exactly the same, the weight distribution seems different enough to effect dynamics just a little. With the Sigma, my miss tended to be .5 degree left. Hepper, .8 right. So I have some dialing in to do, but Ping did great with this line. The Fetch makes a nice sound with either model, but the Heppler sounds more like vintage Pings from the early '70s. "PING" in other words. Very happy.

So I don’t buy a lot of new putters, 95% used. However I could not help myself (no pun). Loved the ZB from the Redwood series. However, the sweet spot was the size of a dime. Love the wider look, sight dot, and the “Versa” color scheme. Growing up with TP Mills and Tad Moor’s and their pencil shafts, I kinda dig the feel. Taking for real putting session this week and will circle back.

0b99ca60-2e38-4848-8e7a-9be1054da85b.jpeg

a3af3e0d-d090-47b7-bfc7-f2e0583b1919.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Since some stores are doing 150% trade in on Ping, I went to the store today assuming i'd walk out with a Sigma tyne. I tried the Heppler Tyne as well but I was not a fan at all, I felt that it wanted to kick open when soled. Through trial of about 15 putters, I thought the Sigma Tyne felt much better than the Heppler Tyne but not as good as the Tomcat. The Tomcat was not even on my radar...at all...not one bit. When I saw it, it seemed large, had a bunch of dots but, I was making everything with it. It may be a little busy but it lines up very very well for me. I am looking forward to getting it out on the course tomorrow. My only bit of concern is how well the paint is going to hold up on it, time will tell.

• 2 weeks later...

There is one less fetch available in MD.

was in the Columbia second swing and relieved them of a Fetch.

G430 MAX 10K 9° w/ventus velocore red 5s

G430 MAX threewood ping chrome tour2 65 S
Taylor Made SIM MAX2 5wood w/ventus velocore blue 7

Adams 23º 9031 proto w' diamana ahina 82
Eye2   3-SW

Oddessy Rossie nsl og slant neck.  

As an update to this putter, as I've raved about it in this forum: I'm putting extremely well with my ZB3. I have excellent distance control with the firmer face, and it feels more forgiving than I would expect.

However... there is an issue. I sent it back to Ping to have a fixed length shaft installed because the adjustable shaft was giving me a very minor but annoying issue. Basically, it was moving down very slightly every time I played. I would set it to my preferred length of 33.75 inches, and after a round of just using the putter as normal I would notice that it had shifted down by like... maybe 1/4 of an inch. I thought I was going crazy at first, but I verified it in the last round I played by setting it so that the hash mark for 33.75 inches was just peaking out. After the round, the hash mark had completely disappeared into the grip. It took about 1/2 of a turn of the adjustment tool for the hash mark to reappear. So, the putter's length is just ever so slightly changing just from putting the putter back in my bag (I would imagine). I know 1/4 of an inch (or even less) isn't much to fret about, but still... the shaft should not be moving.

I called Ping and they said that if there was a problem with the adjustable shaft, they'll install the fixed length shaft without charge. I'm a little skeptical that's actually going to happen, though. It kind of feels like when you bring your car into the shop because it's making a noise, and then it doesn't make the noise when you're with the mechanic. I have a feeling they won't be able to replicate what I'm seeing.

Anyways, just an FYI. I'm loving the ZB3 and imagine I'll be loving it even more with the fixed length shaft installed.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 3L

Srixon ZX 3 hybrid

Ping S55 irons

Bettinardi BB-1W

• 2 weeks later...

Intro at the PGA Show. We don't know if we'll even go this year.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

Please can ping just make a flow neck piper. The arm lock version felt terrible. Wanted to like the zb and anser. But they just felt off. Not sure about the hepler lineman I wanted to like it. But ended up with a patina ardmore 3.

Taylormade Sim 9.0° Diamana ZF 60 stiff

Taylormade Sim Ti 15° Diamana ZF 70 stiff

Cobra F7 4-5 Ti 18.5° Diamana Kai'li 80 stiff

Ping G25 Hybrid 23° Kbs C-Taper Lite stiff 

Bridgestone Tour-B X-CB 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0

Cobra MiM Black 50°v, 56°v, 60°w Kbs Hi-REV 2.0 125 stiff 

Maltby Ptm-1

Srixon Z-Star 

Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

Bagboy Nitron