Gregory’s Latest Tiff.....

Forged4ever

loved watching him swing and play golf. I was a big fan. Perhaps the best driver of the golf ball ever. His insecurities and arrogance have increasingly become a turnoff since the late 90s. Unfortunately, he has become a laughingstock despite his very successful golf and professional career. No one likes a bitter old man.

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 8.5° A-1 setting Graphite Design YS-6+ 65g stiff

Wood:  Titleist 980F 17° Aldila NV stiff

Hybrid: Titleist 909H 21° Aldila Voodoo stiff 

Irons:  Titleist 716 AP2 4- W  DG AMT S300

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM7  54°,  58° DG S200

Putter:  Odyssey White Hot #1 Tour

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

So...are you saying that a good record on tour excuses poor behavior? If that's the case, I'd have to say that you are dead, solid wrong on that one.

I don't see anyone saying that Norman couldn't play golf. Clearly he could. It's just that he sucks a being a decent human being. That, I think, is a tough one to argue against.

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

"We were walking up the 17th fairway, and Greg turns to me and says, 'I guess it's better to be lucky than good.' And I was stunned. Faldo had outplayed him all day. And so I turned to Greg and said, 'I just want to caddie for someone who has heart,' " says former caddie Bruce Edwards about Greg Norman on ESPN Classic's SportsCentury series.

Nuff said??‍♂️

Cheers?

RP

• Like 1

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Hey JH, I hope all’s well and you’re gettin to hit the ball!

No, I am not saying that at all not do I believe that I even inferred that, lol

You have obviously not perused any of my prior threads/posts regarding Greg Norman, the man, where I recounted two personal interactions with the man at my club after he berated both a locker room attendant and a bar tender, both probably the two most popular and beloved employees on the men’s side of the club. Most only recount second and third hand stories. Mine were first hand, belly to belly(well, the second one was belly to belly as I walked out of the shower with a towel wrapped around my waist, into him being an *sshole to our senior locker room attendant. It actually was rather funny looking back, lol).

I think if you read over my posts were I try to point out his on course exploits and positive impact on the game, you will never ever read me stating that he was, is or will ever be a decent human being.

Bottom line, I believe that he’s a piece of ??

However, for the younger WRX members or those who may not be aware of just how dominant he was week in and week out for the better part of a decade, I just wanted to present that side of the picture.

All the Best JH & thanks for responding?

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Interesting Richard. I had to find the article to figure out what the hell you are talking about, but I think I get it. The last line of that piece, with Norman sitting on the beach and lamenting "why me?" is telling (if true).

Instead of looking at his highly successful career as a success, he is focused on the "what could have been" and seems to believe that somehow he "deserved" to win. Anyone who has played any sport at a high level recognizes that there is little justice in competition - particularly in individual competition. Tons of great players never reach the winner's circle.

It is natural to focus on our failures over our successes, but seriously, how can Greg Norman not be happy? Another case of reality being shaped by perception.

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

In hindsight, putting JT on the mic instead of Greg was a blessing for all of us. Norman might have ruined what turned out to be a very enjoyable watch!

• Like 1

PXG 0811X Proto 9*
Ping G30 14.5*

Ping G20 Hybrid 17*
PXG 0317X Gen 2 22*
Ping K15 4 Hybrid

Ping Rapture J-Spec 5 Iron

Ping i5 6 Iron

Ping S59 7-PW
Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*, 58*
Ping Zing 2 BeCu

I might be wrong, but I always thought it was pretty easy to be a nice guy, and you have to work hard to be a jerk. Norman had the world by the tail, and if he had been a good guy, his legacy would have been much greater than his record. I get the feeling that he feels he is owed something.

• Like 1

Being a huge Faldo fan, I obviously never cared for him. Having said that, I wonder if most of his actions these days are a direct result of his “failures” as a player.

Rcently watched all the Masters starting in 96, going backwards. Amazing how much crowd support, and bias from the announcers he received. No wonder I couldn’t stand him.

Question for possibly another thread.....would he trade his after-golf/not golf-related income for 3 or 4 more majors and a green jacket? I say yes.

Did he ever have any kids over the years? I've never heard mention of any offspring in any article or anywhere with regards to him. Having kids is certainly one really good way to put things in perspective and I could see not having any make it really easy to keep a death grip on what could've been in the past.

Richarrrrrd! What’s happening? My best to you and yours.

Ok, I gotta say it,

We are all hammering Norman for what people see as his arrogance, self centeredness, poor treatment of others.

But let’s not forget that Tiger has been accused of all of the above, perhaps to an even greater extent.

Whats the difference? Well, some might say it’s that Tiger seems to have learned and grown and become more humble and appreciative.

But isn’t a large part of people cutting TW slack the fact that he’s a winner?

Everybody loves a winner.

Thats how it is and how it’s always been; )

Big cheers, take care.

• Like 1

Going on his past history he’d trip in the process.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

I don’t think that I have ever heard the locker room story Richard. I think that I can take a guess at how he might have acted though...

Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

A poem might help to explain, perhaps?

Greg and Greatness

Greg longed to be great.

His mother believed he could be great.

His grandmother knew he would be great.

His father was proud that he was great.

Be not afraid of greatness, they say:

Some are born great, 

Some achieve greatness

And some have greatness thrust upon them.

What is greatness?

Excellence

Achievement

Worth

Value

Greg?

Greatness is having done marvelous things.

Greatness is rising above the ordinary to become extraordinary.

Greatness is strength under suffering.

Greatness is magnificence.

Where can Greg find this greatness now that his chances are behind him?

Others see the shark as an image of missed opportunities.

One might venture to say that Greg was golf's Roy Munson.

Greatness is found in history and heroes,

In mythology and stories,

In others' words and others' deeds.

It is not found in letters and poorly crafted wine.

Greg stumbled at the step of greatness, and found himself incapable of climbing above.

Hi Matty :) It was Pete who told me the story(he was in the man’s card room, off of the locker room, when it started) as Richard has never brought up the stories that involved “RP,” hahaha. He’s always said that that was a different person, though I’ve seen that side a few times, it’s never ever been directed towards myself or any of his friends. The short of it was that the attendant had taken and shined the pair of shoes that Greg wore into the locker room that day and placed them back in front of his locker. Norman had apparently placed a second pair of shoes, that they later guessed that he was going to wear post round, for them to shine, but they had already returned his first pair and didn’t notice the second pair.

I have known their attendants since before I was a pro and there’s no way that they wouldn’t have shined his shoes, no matter how many pair that he put in front of his locker. They just didn’t see the shoes. He picked the unshined pair up, walked to the main intersection of the locker room that leads to the shower/mens cars room/exit, yelled for an attendant, and when the senior attendant walked out of their little room where they shined the shoes, Norman flung the shoes at him but they landed short in front of him and at this time Richard walked out of the shower wrapped only in a towel with flip-flops and he looked at Norman, picked up his shoes and as Pete told it, threw one pretty hard at Norman, who spun, and it hit him in the back. Richard then started towards Norman, threatening him and saying what he was going to do to him with the second shoe when a good friend of Richard’s and a few other members stepped in between them and tried to steer Richard up the main isle while Pete ushered Norman back into the men’s card room. Pete said that Greg was already backing up and really needed no assistance in getting into the card room and away from Richard and then others stepped between them. Richard then the went to his locker to get dressed. Greg tried to approach Richard’s table to apologize for how he treated the attendant and Richard told him to “STFU and get away from me.” Pete, knowing Richard(RP, haha), thought that it was going to be round two, and moved his chair back, especially as Norman referred to Richard as “Mate” a few times and that set him off, but Richard did not rise from his seat and went back to eating his crackers and cheese.

The second incident happened the next year, Richard was outside on the line when Norman laid into one of their bartenders. Norman was not invited back after that even after contacting the event benefactor thinking that his invitation had “gotten lost in the mail.” The gentleman, a very prominent business man, informed him that it had not and that his spot had been filled by another tour player. I got to play with Greg twice, once in Pittsburgh and once in Fla and he was a fine. He does think a lot of himself but most successful men do, haha. I never saw the side that Richard, Pete and the guys saw :) Madison

I'll never understand how someone who seems like he can get along with anyone and probably could get along with everyone if he was more self-aware lets his ego/inflated opinion of himself get in the way when a guest, especially someone in whose interest it is to have good vibes with the host and business people and golfers, for that matter.

Kind of like "The Match" - why would he ever think he would be invited to Medalist to do anything, let alone talk about not getting a commentating gig - just makes him look like a dork.

Then again, I've never put naked pictures of myself up on the internet or took much interest in the love machinations of horses - he just doesn't get so many things, yet seems like he could be "one of the gang" and easy going as all get out. No idea, but guessing no Champions Dinner every spring eats him alive and he is basically a pretty lonely guy most of the time, but one of the all time greats and clearly influenced and did a lot for Australian golf and inspired tons of players.

Prior to this locker room incident, I thought that “Mate” was a derogatory term??

Pete explained to me after that it was akin to my calling someone “Bro” or “Brother,” lolol?

I wish that he would’ve told me that that BEFORE Norman approached our table, as I probably wouldn’t have been so curt, though what Madison didn’t mention is that after Norman approached our table, Pete went over to his table and asked him if he’d apologized to the attendant, who Maddie also didn’t mention was like a favorite uncle to me as he’d always treated me with respect when we were kids and the other guys would shoo us away cuz ya had to be 16yo(I was 13-14yo) to be in the locker room and I used to sneak in to get crackers and cheese for me and my buds and he’d give me a paper plate to put em on, lol, and Norman had not, and Pete said that THAT was who he owed the apology to, not me. That Norman didn’t even think to apologize to the attendant is what I found amazing.

Also, the other Players who were in town for the event, Vijay, and I told the story of him spending 30-40 minutes with a bud’s 12yo son down on the line, along with Ian Woosnam, who signed autographs to the last fan, as did Zinger, Mr. Palmer and Ernie Els, who was super with the kids.

Norman walked straight from the 18th green into the clubhouse, signing as he walked, and if any of ya have ever walked with him, he walks fast, especially when he’s uptight or tense(go back and look at his walking and swing pace at Augusta, lolol), and the kids had to almost run to keep up so he didn’t sign many at all.

Still, I would’ve handled that differently today.

Not the shoe throwing incident however when he approached my table I would have thanked him for the apology though as Pete did, ask him if he had in fact apologized to the individual who deserved it, the attendant.

Ya live and you learn??‍♂️

Cheers?

RP

• Like 2

Thanks for taking the times to fill me in guys. Good on you Richard! What’s the quote - the mark of a man is how he treats someone who can do absolutely nothing for him. Whilst many think that a lack of manners is a symptom of the here and now, the example that Greg set is clearly an appalling one. Good for you and Pete for trying to show him otherwise. You would hope that it might have made a difference but for a man with that ego it would be a surprise. I hope you are both keeping safe and well. All the best from sunny (yes sunny) Scotland.

• Like 1

Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

Thanks a lot Matty, though full story, I drew a one week “vacation,” which for my words and actions, regardless of who was at fault, was pretty light. As it ran Sunday-Saturday, and normally Mondays did not count as the club was closed, they counted that Monday, lol. It wasn’t so bad cuz I just took it on the road and ended up Playing Oakmont & Fox Chapel GC? twice that week along with Sewickley Heights GC once, lol

Thanks much for the kind words & we wish you a great(and sunny?) season with nothing but Fairways & Greens

My Best?

Richard

Ha.. only a week? You should have be given a free bar tab for that instead.

What I found funny, not really, about one of your post here. I went to the Kemper Open at Congressional back early '80's. Norman would walk so fast little kids could hardly keep up to try and get an autograph. He Never once looked at them. Then he would just kinda toss whatever back not knowing if the right kid got it. That was it for me and Norman. We followed Vance Hefner thereafter. He was great to everyone.

I really enjoyed his Master's meltdown. Yes, I'm a d..k. But at least I admit it!! ?