Bushnell V5 Tour

I just picked up a Bushnell V5 Tour.

All in all pretty pleased. Love the Bite feature. Feels good in hand with typical Bushnell performance. Locks on flag easily, especially compared to my Leopold.

Always disappointed with the "plastic" feel of the Bushnell's, but the V5 is the most solid feel of any Bushnell I've used except for my old Z6 (my favorite Bushnell ever). Feel wise, I prefer the Leopold because it is close to my Z6. I was also disappointed with the "Patriot pack" this time around. Really could use a silicon sleeve, maybe the Bite feature makes that impossible.

My one big issue, and might be a deal breaker for me, why did Bushnell not include VIVID tech? Seriously, it seems like a no-brainer, so much so I didn't ask ab out it when I purchased it and I spent 20 minutes trying to figure out how to switch from black to red before I read the manual and realized VIVID was MIA. Is there a technical reason it is not included?

All in all a solid rangefinder, works as advertised. If I were making a wish list, at the top of the list would be VIVID tech. I'd really like metal construction and a waterproof feature. I also like the fog feature on the Leopold.

Did you purchase the V5 online? No golf stores open in my area yet. My V4 has the black display and it works well. The red display seems to work better in low light but I don't normally play at twilight so the black suffices for my needs. My V4 is listed as "Water Resistant" vs Waterproof. I spoke with Bushnell and they said it will work fine in drizzles but don't leave it out in heavier rain. They also said the skin cover provides a bit more protection but they still don't want to call it waterproof when using a skin. Probably trying to minimize warranty claims. You said the V5 Patriot Pack didn't come with a skin? I've got a V4 Patriot and a V4 Shift Patriot and both came with skin covers. What comes with a V5 Patriot Pack?

Our local golf store is open. This is Florida :)

The Patriot Pack came with a green repair tool with a magnetic ball marker. Not very exciting and not nearly as usable as a skin. I am going to guess a skin might interfere with the Bite pad somehow. I really prefer the red display. I can use the black, it just is not as bright. The V5 is also water resistant. My Z6 and the Leopold are both waterproof. Not sure if it really matters, but it is just a piece of mind thing for me.

Obvious why they didn't put Vivid technology and a Metal case, its called profit!! As mentioned many times there are tons of options out there for a basic laser for much less $$ than Bushnell and they all work well now. If you jump up in Bushnells higher priced units the quality goes up but who wants to spend $400 or more.

Exactly, lets face it the Laser is just a commodity now and for the most part prices will keep going down and down, that's just technology. Until someone comes up with a totally new technology like a Laser in your phone for instance there is nothing new other than a magnet or "Improved" optics Blah...blah....blah. There are several great companies emerging like Precision Pro who are creative in service, free batteries and a much better price point. I mean think about what one of the lightweight plastic lasers really cost's landed here, the big boys have to cover all their marketing, manager's, travel and answering up the big company chain to margins! Its all a lot of hype really, the laser is basic technology in a plastic case....the bigger the name on it the more the cost goes up.

I looked at the V5 and thought is was nice and then went PRO XE as I like the metal body, waterproof, etc.

Honestly after 4-5 days the XE it started to have issues, like it appears a lot of the Bushnells do from reading, The elements aspect would either work or would not...? The optics/glass are good but there are ALOT better out there (Nikon/Leupold). The readout had a fuzzy edge or double edge to it from the minute I turned it on. It was only used on the range and around the house to compare. I was really not happy with the quality of it. I called Bushnell and got the run around on the Element aspect working and not, they told me let it sit a bit at the range to "acclimate" .... what?? So I did, I left on on the bag out of the case while I putted for 30 mins. Never came back on. I get home and try and sure as sh*t its on again....? Needless to say it already went back.

I would agree with the above, its about profit with Bushnell and its not proprietary anymore really on the laser so you will see many really good ones out there and the prices coming down.

I've been waiting for the V5 to come out. I like the upgrades the XE offers, but I have 0 use for the added features as I don't even like having slope on my range finder. My dad has a V3 and its operation is so much smoother than my Precision Pro. I initially liked the PP, but after playing a year or so with it, there are just little things about it that make me less than thrilled.

Honestly, I could save some money and just get the V4, but I guess the biggest reason I'm waiting is that I might as well get the Bite mount as opposed to using a magnetic wrap or something.

Titleist TSR3 Ventus TR Blue 6X
Titleist TSi3 HZRDUS Smoke 6.0

Mizuno MP20 HMB 18* HZRDUS Smoke 6.0
Kyoei KK Black MB 4-PW KBS Tour 125 S+
TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 50/9
TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 54/11
TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 58/11
TaylorMade Tour Preferred Bandon 3
TaylorMade 2021 TP5X

• 4 weeks later...

A friend picked up the V5 recently and has been having issues. I had the Pro XE for about a week and it had a ton of issues. Ie: Jolt rarely worked, the display unless on highest level could not even be seen unless on highest level and then it had "specs" as it was over powering the display , Elements aspects worked maybe 10% of the time, etc.)

I sent it back needless to say and talking to Bushnell the optic read out was not working right causing the issue on viewing/specs but they never once stated why the other items never worked right. I chalked mine up to a lemon. Given the QC issues I saw and customer service handling aspects PLUS now my friend having issues with his V5 I am glad I just went back to Leupold. Interestingly a lot of friends have the older models and they have zero issues and have had them for a long time. IMHO Bushnell QC and CS has hit the bottom.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Returning the v5 - I like the clarity of the v4 lens and darker numbers when viewing.  The v5 may be more clear, but the v4 has a coating like a sunglass that also makes it pop to my eye.

Tour AD XC 6S Callaway Smoke 3D 9deg
Kali' White 70x shaft Ping 430LST 3W

Accra TZ6 M4 Hybrid Shaft Ping 430 3H
C-Taper L:ite S T150 4-Gap
SteelFiber PR Wedge Ping Glide 4.0 46, 50, 54 and 58 degree
Bettinardi Inovai 6.0 Slant Neck

• 3 weeks later...

I have a V5 coming and you guys are bumming me out with this thread. Hope it works like Bushnelll should. You expect the best from them for the price you pay.

Edited by OspreyCI

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

I have a Tour V5 Shift and love it.  I got the skin for it off Amazon for a little protection and feel.  The Bite feature is great.  I previously had a Pro X2 that got damaged, and while that could change colors of the display, I always left it on black, so only one color display in the Tour V5 Shift really doesn't bum me out.  

Keep your receipt/warranty however.  I purchased mine from GG and I did have a defect (played 3 rounds on 3 different courses, it wasn't picking up pins).  GG replaced it no questions asked and my current one works flawlessly.  

• Like 1

Ping G430 MAX 10K 9*, Ventus Black 6X
Ping G430 MAX 3W 15*, Ventus TR Red 7X
Ping G430 MAX 7W 21*, Ventus TR Blue 8X 

Ping i230 4i DG 120 S300

Ping Blueprint S, 5-PW DG 120 S300

Titleist Vokey SM9 50F, 54S, 58M

Odyssey Ai-One Jailbird Mini CH /or/ Tri Hot 5K Seven CH

First round with the V5 and it worked perfectly.  Fast and reliable. Same yardage as the toner guys in my group using other lasers. Love the red ring when you snag the flag. Have not owned a laser in many years and this was a big difference for me today. Love it. 

• Like 2

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

• 9 months later...

My V5 shift sucks.  I've tried so hard to give it a chance but it keeps picking up trees, etc. behind the pin.  I was carrying my V3 in my bag as a backup but now I'll just have the V3 in the bag instead of the V5.  

Edited by jamie

PING G425 9* Tour 65 X - PING G400 Stretch 13* HZRDUS Yellow - PING G425 17* Hybrid Tour 85 X
PING I210 4-U Project X 6.5 - PING Glide 2.0 Stealth 55 & 60* Project X 6.0
PING VALOR CB 35"

On 4/11/2022 at 10:22 AM, jamie said:

My V5 shift sucks.  I've tried so hard to give it a chance but it keeps picking up trees, etc. behind the pin.  I was carrying my V3 in my bag as a backup but now I'll just have the V3 in the bag instead of the V5.  

Same issue for me...some pins cannot be picked up and I get the hill or bush behind the green. Disappointing, when it works I like the small form factor and the jolt...wish it were more reliable. 

I’ve used the V5 for about a year. No issues here. I agree tech is kinda uniform but for me the V5 is a perfect fit. Had a PP for 2 years and was ok.  Noticed it was hard to pick up the flag at times and didn’t like the pause to get a reading. The construction is “cheaper” then the Bushnell in my opinion and much slower to pickup the pin. For me, the more quality construction and the quickness were worth the few extra dollars. I always find it funny people wanting a cheap rangefinder but will spend $500 or so a year on a driver. A quality rangefinder is a good investment and should last many years. Prior to the PP, I had a Bushnell for about 7 seasons. Went the cheaper route and now back to Bushnell. 

The slope on my V5 stopped working and it's been shipped back for warranty repair.  I also have problems picking up the pin and frequently get the hill/trees behind as well.  Pretty disappointed that I sold my older Bushnell for this one.  Hopefully they send me a new unit and I don't have these same problems.

Edited by oc_mike

• 2 months later...
On 4/19/2022 at 5:01 PM, oc_mike said:

The slope on my V5 stopped working and it's been shipped back for warranty repair.  I also have problems picking up the pin and frequently get the hill/trees behind as well.  Pretty disappointed that I sold my older Bushnell for this one.  Hopefully they send me a new unit and I don't have these same problems.

What came of this?

I hate that they ditched the VIVID tech.   My old V2 Tour had the button for black or red. I always used red.  No need for me to upgrade to one of these now for the price.  

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

• 1 month later...
On 4/11/2022 at 12:22 PM, jamie said:

I also much prefer the v3 than the v5 Shift that I had. Ended up giving it to the kid and sticking with the v3. Everyone wants smaller and lighter but to me it makes it more difficult to hold steady and lock on the target. The v3 is perfect. 

Callaway Epic Speed 9° Driver
Callaway Epic Speed 4W - Smoke IM10

Callaway Apex UW (21°)

Mizuno Pro 225 (4i); 223 (5-9i); 221 (PW)
Jaws MD 5 50°, Full Toe 54°, 58° PM Grind
Toulon Odyssey Chicago