PXG 0811 X+ Prototype Round 1

Lobber

Was hitting my 0811X+ really well but my club developed a rattle today, it sounds like a "large" ( large enough to make noise but I suspect smaller than a BB)  piece of metal has broken off inside the head, I understand its a Prototype but still disappointing. Hopefully this is a isolated situation.  

Edited by puresurfr

2 hours ago, puresurfr said:

Was hitting my 0811X+ really well but my club developed a rattle today, it sounds like a large piece of metal has broken off inside the head, I understand its a Prototype but still disappointing. Hopefully this is a isolated situation.  

Dang, that sucks!  I'm sure they'll take care of you....

14 hours ago, puresurfr said:

Was hitting my 0811X+ really well but my club developed a rattle today, it sounds like a large piece of metal has broken off inside the head, I understand its a Prototype but still disappointing. Hopefully this is a isolated situation.  

If you take a weight out does that have a big opening into the head? 

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

15 hours ago, puresurfr said:

Same happened to mine on Thursday

opened up the front weight and shook it around a bit (there’s a hole), was on course so didn’t see anything fall out but the rattle is gone and it performa just fine/zero noticeable impact 

Callaway Paradym TD 10.5 - Ventus TR Blue 6x
3 Wood - Stealth 2+ - Ventus TR Red 7x
5 wood - Paradym TD - Kai'li 80x
hyrid - 22* Ping G425 - Ventus Blue 10x
4i - PW - PX 0317 ST - KBS 130x
50-54-58 - Edel SMS Pro Wedges - S400 TI
LAB Mezz Armlock - LAGP

On 9/2/2020 at 8:53 AM, mason82 said:

Will do. Really this turns me off so much I may dump all my PXG stuff and start over.

Have you looked at shaft prices though?  As the clubs go down, the upgraded shaft cost goes up.  I bought my Gen3 irons for full price and any shaft I wanted was free.  Now for a Gen3 iron you have to pay $40/shaft or more for a decent shaft.  I bought my Proto for $495 and at the time most shafts were free and only GD and the Pro series Mitsu's were charges to upgrade.  The CK Pro White was $125 upgrade, now its a $200 upgrade.  GD went from a $250 upgrade to a $300 upgrade.  Yes they are marking them down some, but for most the drop isn't as great as advertised.

Edited by lakecowboy

GAMER SETUP:

Callaway AiSmoke TD 8* @ 7* | Tour AD HD 7s 

Callaway AiSmoke TD 3W | Denali Black 6.0 70g

TaylorMade SIM Ti 5W | Tour AD TP 7s

Callaway Apex Black 4-P | Nippon Modus 120 S +1"

Titleist 48* @ 49* Vokey SM9 | Nippon Modus 120 S +1”

Titleist 54* @ 55* Vokey SM9 | Nippon Modus 120 S +1”

Titleist 58* @ 59* Vokey SM9 | Nippon Modus 120 S +1”

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 | 36" - 71* - 3.5*

Did a PXG fitting today and tried a bunch of stuff but ended up in the X+ with the Diamana S+ 60g Stiff. 

Hzrds was too stiff, Fujikura Pro was too whippy (although not nearly as bad as the Riptide that only lasted about 3 swings), Diamana ended up being just right. I have a slightly upward AoA so the X+ with the heavy weight forward was just right for knocking a bit of spin off and feel was great (much preferred the feel of it to the regular X with the weight back). Tried a number of other adjustments but the one the fitter really liked was the "PXG" setting on the adapter (aka, no loft change but -3 deg lie). 

For $379 with the current sale (I was willing to consider any of the upcharge shafts as well but can't complain that best fit was one of the standard options) really can't be beat on value for any new driver IMO. 

Edited by KParks
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, KParks said:

Did a PXG fitting today and tried a bunch of stuff but ended up in the X+ with the Diamana S+ 60g Stiff. 

Hzrds was too stiff, Fujikura Pro was too whippy (although not nearly as bad as the Riptide that only lasted about 3 swings), Diamana ended up being just right. I have a slightly upward AoA so the X+ with the heavy weight forward was just right for knocking a bit of spin off and feel was great (much preferred the feel of it to the regular X with the weight back). Tried a number of other adjustments but the only one the fitter really liked was the "PXG" setting on the adapter (aka, no loft change but -3 deg lie). 

For $379 with the current sale (I was willing to consider any of the upcharge shafts as well but can't complain that best fit was one of the standard options) really can't be beat on value for any new driver IMO. 

Thanks for sharing. Where were you fit at? What did they quote for a build time?

I am going in with an open mind and willing to pay for an up charge shaft. I am being fit in little over a week. 

Enjoy the driver and let us know how it is in the course. 

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

27 minutes ago, OspreyCI said:

Thanks for sharing. Where were you fit at? What did they quote for a build time?

I am going in with an open mind and willing to pay for an up charge shaft. I am being fit in little over a week. 

Enjoy the driver and let us know how it is in the course. 

Was fit at Calabasas CC in Los Angeles. The fitter was a PXG Rep (he rotates around a few different local clubs for fittings and is at this one I think like two days a week), I was booked for a full bag fitting (which gives you two hours) but all I tried (because all I was interested in) was drivers and putters. Was told that the X+ are currently running a bit behind so 7-10 days (instead of the normal I think 3-5ish days). 

• Thanks 1

I tried the 9 degree Proto, believe it is not the +.  Loved it and if I had not bought the SIM earlier, I would have jumped all over this.   It was + 5 yards longer and a smaller area so definitely more accurate but with the courses I play, did not make sense to change for that small amount.  All in all, this is one of the BEST on the market right now.

• Like 2

I recently did a fitting and ordered the x+ with diamana s+ 60g shaft in regular. It was a little longer on good hits but much better (straighter, longer) on off-center hits compared to my recently (and now regrettably) purchased mavrik. For whatever it’s worth, the mavrik max went left on me. The Proto x+ felt and performed better for me. Interestingly, off-center hits were easier to detect on the x+ compared to the mavrik despite the results being much better for the x+.

• Like 3

I definitely agree with poor strikes still flying straight & getting out there. I've hit some unreal toe strikes that end up as minor pushes, no hook that I didn't put into it myself. Quite a stable clubhead, I don't feel much twisting on off center strikes. My strike pattern is generally center to toe side

PXG 0811X+ 10.5* (12*)

CW Epic Flash 5W 

TM M3 3H & 4H

TM RocketBladez HL 5-PW

W/S PMP 52*, 56*, 60*

Cleveland HB Soft #1

The shape of the X+ alone was a big reason I went with it. It is a much rounder looking head shape from address and it just gives all the confidence in the world that you can work the ball either way. And the my misses wont be over  exaggerated .The bigger flatter looking head shapes make me think its going left.... oh how much the game is all in your head

• Like 1

Had one of my best driving days in a decade. Stopped overthinking it, just walked up & hit, and was constantly getting a straight, or minor draw ball flight. 12/14 fairways, with my misses just barely off and in good position. With my previous driver, I would often accentuate a "fade" type of swing to avoid massive hooks, and trying that with this club wasn't working. My face control turned to crap.

• Like 2

PXG 0811X+ 10.5* (12*)

CW Epic Flash 5W 

TM M3 3H & 4H

TM RocketBladez HL 5-PW

W/S PMP 52*, 56*, 60*

Cleveland HB Soft #1

I am looking forward to a Driver / FW fitting on the 22nd by the same rep that did the irons for me. Same type of deal for me, beat my Gamer (Honma TR20 440) and I will throw down. Never in a million years did I expect to have a mostly PXG bag, but if they are better I am interested.

• Like 1

Callaway Smoke Max 10.5 GD AD VF 6s

Titleist TSR 2 16.5 GD AD UB 7s

Titleist TSR 2 21 GD AD DI 8x

Callaway APEX Pro / CB  4-11 PX IO 5.5 

Callaway full toe 54* PX IO  6.5

Callaway full toe 58* PX IO 6.5

SLED # 1  35.5

I had yet another round today with eh 0811X Proto, and I am shocked at how this thing has worked its way into my bag.  I was using the X+ and got the X for kicks when they lowered the rice to $395 - no brainer IMO.  I made this change in the X to have the 15g weight in the back and replaced the 2.5g in the front with a 5g and bingo.  I tried the same weight configuration in the X+ and it was better with the 15g back and all others being 2.5g.

With the X, I can easily work the ball either way and this is from a life long draw player.  Now I have to learn to trust it ?

I finally had my spec check/fitting yesterday.  I got the 0311P Gen2 irons and had them +½" and standard lie and changed to the Modus 105 shaft.  I have pretty much always been fit into =½" and 2º upright.  So I wanted to check them and also see about maybe pulling the trigger on the Gen2 irons.  The fitting was eye opening.  I ended up with the Gen3 with the Elevate 95 shafts and 1º flat ?  The fitter asked me to hit a fade with a 7i at the end, and I did it - which told me he nailed the fit.  No wonder I could never fade an iron. 

I also got forged wedges with the Elevate Tour wedges - which was another eye opener - I have had some struggles with wedges of late and I think it is because thy were too light - the extra weight really allows me to feel the club and reduce any herky jerky motions.  Lastly speaking of feel.  I hit the Gen 3 with the Modus 105 and then he handed me another club and I though oh man he just gave me a 120g shaft - it felt super heavy.  Nope, it was the Elevate 95.  The "weight" was finally being able to feel the club load.  Once I got use to that, everything slowed down.  The ball flight is kind of high so it will be interesting to see how these go.

I just wanted to relate the fitting experience.  PXG was awesome.  I have had some issues with the 3 and 5 woods as well so I hit a few 5w's to show them what was going on and of course I striped every one of them ?  I cursed the 5w, put it in the bag and said nevermind.  I put that mental image in my head for today's round and hit the FWs really well.

Thank you PXG!

• Like 3

PXG Gen 5 0311 9º, Kai'li Blue, Titleist TSr3, 9º, Ventus Blue

Titleist TSr2, 15º fw, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSr2, 20º fw, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSi2, 21º Hy, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSi2, 24º Hy, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist T150 6-48º Tensei AV Blue AM2

Vokey SM9 54º, 60º, Tensei AV Blue AM2

L.A.B. Golf DF3, MEZZ.1 Max reg & Broom,  MEZZ.1, DF 2.1 Reg & Broom

No room to list Bench Warmers 🙂

Great write up. Thanks. Really excited for my fitting next Sat. 

This will be my third fitting these and they are so good at what they do. They don’t hard sell you and don’t cherry pic data like Club Champion does. 

• Like 3

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

Just received my X+ with the Diamana 70g XStiff today and played a round. It felt a bit high spin for me but the shots that went straight were some of the best drives I've hit. The shaft feels a bit whippy coming from a diamana whiteboard 70g XStiff. My SS is very high at 121. I got fitted for a Mavrik with the stock Rogue 70g XStiff but opted for the PXG bc why not lol

Not sure what I'm going to do yet but just wanted to share my experience so far since I got a lot of good feedback while contemplating buying the driver. 

• Like 1

Gonna give the heavy weight in the toe side a try. I'm a super frequent toe striker, and I sometimes battle over drawing & low worm burner hooks, more from me over closing the clubface than anything else. Has anybody had good results trying the heavy weight in the toe?

PXG 0811X+ 10.5* (12*)

CW Epic Flash 5W 

TM M3 3H & 4H

TM RocketBladez HL 5-PW

W/S PMP 52*, 56*, 60*

Cleveland HB Soft #1

Had such a great PXG fitting experience yesterday with Cole in San Diego that I thought it would be worth sharing.

After a brief warmup, we took some swing data with my current driver (Ping G410). My launch and spin numbers were low, so Cole recommended the Prototype 0811X+. I asked if one model (standard vs +) was longer or more forgiving than the other, and the answer was no. Confirmed that the driver heads are the same for the Prototype model, with their differences in loft and spin. 

We tried multiple shafts, but I was consistently getting better results (spin, distance, and dispersion) with the Aldila NV NXT Green S65. I was shocked how much better this "base" shaft worked for me versus others, including the more expensive "upgrades".

I LOVED the sound and ball flight path when I struck the ball well. Even mishits were still in play and with pretty decent distance.

Just for confirmation, I tried a few more shots with my Ping G410. The loud "PING" now sounded horrible in comparison. Also the distance, flight path, and forgiveness couldn't measure up to the PXG. I should note however, that I never got professionally fitted for the PING.

Placed my order. The shaft is a on backorder, but I should expect the driver in 2 weeks. I can't believe how hard it's going to be to wait this out.

Had a blast. Thanks Cole & PXG!

Edited by echo221
  • Like 2

I am beginning to believe everything sounds loud and tingy compared to the Proto X. Had a Mizuno ST200 that I thought felt great but after playing the Proto X it sounded like an aluminum baseball bat.

Titleist TSR2 Tour AD DI
Titleist TSR2+ Tour AD DI
Titleist TSR2 18 Speeder 757 Evo V

Mizuno Max Hybrid 22

Titleist T350 5-7

Titleist T200 8-48
Ping s159 54,60
Scotty Cameron Jet Setter NP2

16 minutes ago, joneser said:

Anyone looking for an X+, I can probably save you a few $$

No likey?

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

Without getting too personal.  Had a family issue with a pet that has cost us SIGNIFICANT Money...not going broke by any means but common sense is being applied.  The driver is almost equal to my gamer (M5) but I would want to play around with shafts.  Distance is basically the same and I actually think there is more to be had.  There is nowhere around here that I can go tests shaft that won't cost a fortune and nowhere to do it outside.  I LOVE the looks and sound of it and with some shaft tinkering, I could see it as the gamer.  I however need to make an intelligent decision and sell the driver.  Its a bummer because I love the looks.  Bought with the Smoke Yellow 60 and while its pretty good, I think I like the IZ I have better....just don't want to be testing, swapping and costing a bunch of money that I should not be spending.  Took almost 54 years but I am attempting to use common sense.  ?  Will be posting a few things this weekend to thin the extra clubs.  

Edited by joneser

Ping G430 MAX 10K 2024 Ventus Blue
Callaway Ai Smoke Max 2024 Ventus Blue

Ping G430 19deg hyb Blue Ventus HB

Ping G430 22 deg hyl Blue Ventus HB
Mizuno Pro 245 5-pw Axiom 105s
Mizuno S23 50-54-58 
LAB DF2.1 Broomstick