PXG 0811 X+ Prototype Round 1

Lobber

2 hours ago, OspreyCI said:

Really appreciate the information. My fitter wouldn’t even suggest the X the way I was hitting it. -2 AOA in the beginning, then after a tweak of my swing I was getting almost level and getting 13* launch with 2700 rpm and 148 ball speed. I asked about trying the X and he though we couldn’t keep the launch where we needed with that shaft. I loved the AD TP and he did to for me. 

Just me being a GolfWrxer thinking I need the X for some Lower spin ?

What weight settings were you in? When I did my fitting we started with the X in the "more forgiving" setup with the heavy weight in the back but I didn't love the feel of it. Spin wasn't bad (I think around 2250?) but wasn't launching where we wanted it. 

Then he switched me into the X+ with the heavy weight forward and it was amazing. Launch went up a good amount and spin was only up a bit (I think around 2400-2500). Also, the feel was MUCH nicer in my opinion. I was actually kind of shocked how much the feel changed based on the weight placement. We tried a few other setups but that setup (the X+ head in the "low spin" weight setup) was the definite winner both on the numbers and more importantly on feel and consistency for me. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, KParks said:

What weight settings were you in? When I did my fitting we started with the X in the "more forgiving" setup with the heavy weight in the back but I didn't love the feel of it. Spin wasn't bad (I think around 2250?) but wasn't launching where we wanted it. 

Then he switched me into the X+ with the heavy weight forward and it was amazing. Launch went up a good amount and spin was only up a bit (I think around 2400-2500). Also, the feel was MUCH nicer in my opinion. I was actually kind of shocked how much the feel changed based on the weight placement. We tried a few other setups but that setup (the X+ head in the "low spin" weight setup) was the definite winner both on the numbers and more importantly on feel and consistency for me. 

My fitter never moved the weight. He felt like after we moved on from the Ventus Blue to the AD TP in the std 10.5 with heavy weight up from we were spot on. Well as good as we could with my crappy swing. I did get the face angle tp path down really well with the TP.  I loved the shaft so much we didn’t even try anything else.

Plus I was hitting irons and needed to be fit for a hybrid and a putter. 

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

On 8/25/2020 at 2:28 PM, lakecowboy said:

My bad drives now are still in the fairway or just off the edge.  This thing is nuts when dialed in correctly w/ head/shaft/weight.  I'm a driver ho, but I don't see this thing being replaced until obsolete.  Point and shoot, and nothing about my game w/ driver was ever point and shoot before.   More like point and pray.

Pre PROTO and Tour AD GP7x I was hitting 50-65% of Fairways on GHIN stats, since switching to this setup I've hit 70-100% of fairways in my rounds.  I've had several 13/14 or 12/14 rounds where my missed fairways are less than 2 yards ?

GAMER SETUP:

Callaway AiSmoke TD 8* @ 7* | Tour AD HD 7s 

Callaway AiSmoke TD 3W | Denali Black 6.0 70g

TaylorMade SIM Ti 5W | Tour AD TP 7s

Callaway Apex Black 4-P | Nippon Modus 120 S +1"

Titleist 48* @ 49* Vokey SM9 | Nippon Modus 120 S +1”

Titleist 54* @ 55* Vokey SM9 | Nippon Modus 120 S +1”

Titleist 58* @ 59* Vokey SM9 | Nippon Modus 120 S +1”

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 | 36" - 71* - 3.5*

Ok so I thought I would give a little data.  Played my first round with the Proto X+ today.  I use Shotscope so I have some real analytics and not just anecdotal info. 

This summer I've been using my old TM R7 460 with the stock Stiff shaft.  I average 38% FIR, equal misses left and right.  My playing average is 235yd and my one longest is 260.  

Today with the Proto I hit 46% FIR, equal misses left and right, though the dispersion of the misses were much closer to the fairway.  My playing average was 248yd and I hit one 268.  

I hadn't played this course with the R7 so I can't do a direct comparison.  Todays course had lots of fairways going uphill.  I think on my normal course I'd get a few more yards of roll.  However, I'm still impressed.  More yardage, tighter dispersion, plus more FIR equals a big win for me.  Can't wait to get some more rounds under my belt and see how the trends continue.  The only issue now is I'm better with my mid irons than short irons so now that I'm hitting closer I gotta get some more 8-PW practice in. 

• Like 2

I did not play today but I went to the range to mess around with the Proto X and X+ driver setups.  I hit over 130 drivers - yeah that is nuts but I think I really defined them and know the setup that works best for me for now ?  

The X spins less than the X+ no doubt.  I could see it in peak height - maybe 10-15 feet in height.  The overall distance is about the same for me.  I tried 15g back and 2.5g front, then did 5g front with 15g back and the last setup was 2.5g front and 20g back.  The latter was the winning setup for both - it produced a nice high flight that really carried.

The X is way easier to faed, has a straighter face and sits square.

The X+ is straighter and harder to fade, has a rounded face and sits open.

I really like them both and need more stick time, but they are different with the X+ being higher spin.  I had both set at 10.5º.  I liked the 20g in there since it added hed weight and allows me to slow down and be more controlled with my swing.

I am very tempted to carry both ala Phil Mickelson and use them based on what the hole calls for ?  I actually need to play more golf ? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

PXG Gen 5 0311 9º, Kai'li Blue, Titleist TSr3, 9º, Ventus Blue

Titleist TSr2, 15º fw, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSr2, 20º fw, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSi2, 21º Hy, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSi2, 24º Hy, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist T150 6-48º Tensei AV Blue AM2

Vokey SM9 54º, 60º, Tensei AV Blue AM2

L.A.B. Golf DF3, MEZZ.1 Max reg & Broom,  MEZZ.1, DF 2.1 Reg & Broom

No room to list Bench Warmers 🙂

12 minutes ago, ajlacombe said:

I did not play today but I went to the range to mess around with the Proto X and X+ driver setups.  I hit over 130 drivers - yeah that is nuts but I think I really defined them and know the setup that works best for me for now ?  

The X spins less than the X+ no doubt.  I could see it in peak height - maybe 10-15 feet in height.  The overall distance is about the same for me.  I tried 15g back and 2.5g front, then did 5g front with 15g back and the last setup was 2.5g front and 20g back.  The latter was the winning setup for both - it produced a nice high flight that really carried.

The X is way easier to faed, has a straighter face and sits square.

The X+ is straighter and harder to fade, has a rounded face and sits open.

I really like them both and need more stick time, but they are different with the X+ being higher spin.  I had both set at 10.5º.  I liked the 20g in there since it added hed weight and allows me to slow down and be more controlled with my swing.

I am very tempted to carry both ala Phil Mickelson and use them based on what the hole calls for ?  I actually need to play more golf ? 

Great stuff man. Appreciate the write up. You have been supplying awesome info for all interested. Finally get to order mine Monday. 

• Like 1

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

My order is showing in build,

Proto X with Fuji pro 2.0 6x tipped 1"

Gen 2 3 wood Fuji pro 2.0 7x tipped .50"

Gen 2 7 wood Fuji pro 2.0 7x tipped .50"

waiting on the fedex guy now with the 0211 4-LW

• Like 3

Callaway Smoke Max 10.5 GD AD VF 6s

Titleist TSR 2 16.5 GD AD UB 7s

Titleist TSR 2 21 GD AD DI 8x

Callaway APEX Pro / CB  4-11 PX IO 5.5 

Callaway full toe 54* PX IO  6.5

Callaway full toe 58* PX IO 6.5

SLED # 1  35.5

I've given the weight in the toe a try for a few rounds. Since I am someone who strikes it out at the toe a lot, and sometimes overdraws & hits low worm burner hooks, I figured it would be fairly ideal. My ball flight has changed a lot, the most pronounced change being my peak height is so much more consistent/functional. I can hit fades very consistently. Not sure if I've gained total distance or ball speed, but I've definitely gained carry distance, just by not over closing the clubface as much.

I'm sure it's more me than the club, but it's definitely helping me.

• Like 1

PXG 0811X+ 10.5* (12*)

CW Epic Flash 5W 

TM M3 3H & 4H

TM RocketBladez HL 5-PW

W/S PMP 52*, 56*, 60*

Cleveland HB Soft #1

Just demo’d the Sim to see how much lower spin it was than the X+. I did demo it with the Ventus Blue Velocore.

It was definitely lower spin, but it was lower trajectory than the X+ both at 10.5.
3-4 degrees less launch makes a serious difference. I feel like the X+ is more forgiving too. I am just trying to make sure the Proto is the right purchase. 

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

I like the X+.  I especially like the feel/sound, which usually isn't a big deal to me for a driver.  Results are priority number 1 and results on well struck balls are solid. 

That said, I am the only one that feels like they need to tee this driver lower than they normally do?  It is easier for me than my other driver for me to hit high on the face. 

Just took my X+ out on the course for the first time. Unfortunately didn't even get a chance to warm up on the range since I was sneaking out when work got quiet thanks to the sort-of holiday. 

Sound and feel were amazing although I was kind of surprised by how much I felt I was "seeing" the loft compared to my previous driver (a G400 Max 10.5 that I was playing on "small minus" at 9.75). Not any problem with that, just something to get used to. Performance was very good. I know it is cliche but my well hit drives were probably about 5-10ish yards further on holes that my usual landing spots. I just need some time to adjust my swing a bit. The biggest thing being that I need to get confidence that I can really go after it and I really won't lose it left like I often could on my G400 Max (which lead to a dreaded two way miss where I normally try to play a cut but could have a really bad low hook miss that would then be death). All in all, felt much straighter than my G400 Max (impressive!) and while I had some bad misses right that got away from me, I put bad swings on those (partly because I think I was trying not to swing too hard if that makes sense, I think this club (probably really shaft) wants me to be a bit more aggressive, I'm in the Diamana S+ 60 stiff coming from the stock Alta CB Stiff in my G400 Max).

End of the day, very happy so far. Longer than my last driver and the shape is much more consistent which I think will lead to much better results and predictable misses once I get some more time with it. My only complaint is that I really couldn't get it to turn over and draw on the two holes at my course that really want that shot shape. I think with some time I can get that back (at least a little), but for now I'll gladly trade away the bad hook misses for having some difficulty with that shot. 

Edited by KParks
typos
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, KParks said:

Just took my X+ out on the course for the first time. Unfortunately didn't even get a chance to warm up on the range since I was sneaking out when work got quiet thanks to the sort-of holiday. 

Sound and feel were amazing although I was kind of surprised by how much I felt I was "seeing" the loft compared to my previous driver (a G400 Max 10.5 that I was playing on "small minus" at 9.75). Not any problem with that, just something to get used to. Performance was very good. I know it is cliche but my well hit drives were probably about 5-10ish yards further on holes that my usual landing spots. I just need some time to adjust my swing a bit. The biggest thing being that I need to get confidence that I can really go after it and I really won't lose it left like I often could on my G400 Max (which lead to a dreaded two way miss where I normally try to play a cut but could have a really bad low hook miss that would then be death). All in all, felt much straighter than my G400 Max (impressive!) and while I had some bad misses right that got away from me, I put bad swings on those (partly because I think I was trying not to swing too hard if that makes sense, I think this club (probably really shaft) wants me to be a bit more aggressive, I'm in the Diamana S+ 60 stiff coming from the stock Alta CB Stiff in my G400 Max).

End of the day, very happy so far. Longer than my last driver and the shape is much more consistent which I think will lead to much better results and predictable misses once I get some more time with it. My only complaint is that I really couldn't get it to turn over and draw on the two holes at my course that really want that shot shape. I think with some time I can get that back (at least a little), but for now I'll gladly trade away the bad hook misses for having some difficulty with that shot. 

Cool post!  I laughed a bit because I saw my golf game in some of these comments - the main one is the bit about fearing going after the shot.  I think that is a fundamental problem for most everyone.  IMO in order to hit the driver things need to be loose and tension free - it there are any doubts and tension in the swing, who knows what might happen.  Now you have the chicken and the egg dilemma.  How can I trust it if I have not seen it 🙂

Haha - easy, because if you do not trust it you will never hit those great shots.  How do you do it?  Just do it - what's the worst thing that happens.  You hit a bad shot - so what?  Seriously.  There is no magic here, it is on us to hit that shot.  I thought I had completed my change from hitting  a draw to hitting a fade and yesterday I was awful at trying to fade the driver - I was totally in my head.

As far as ball movement - you can do it with alignment or grip.  I always go back to Tiger's diagram of three swing paths (In-out, straight, out-in) and the three face angles (closed, square, open) that yield 9 ball flights.  My last range session really drove this home that I had to have my alignment and grip on the same page to work the ball the way I wanted to work it. (yeah yeah, then I sucked on Sunday 🙂 )

Let us know how it goes

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, vroom said:

Just bought a used 0811+ Proto. It comes with 3 weights (front and side) and 1 at the rear (15g).

Does anyone know what's the weight of the stock weight? Thinking of reducing the swing weight a tick, was thinking of changing the 15g to 10g. 

The stock is 2.5g in both of mine, but I have a 50g shaft in my driver (actual weight about 57g), so if the shaft weight changes the head weight would either change or the swing weight would rise.  I think 2.5g is the lowest weight they have.  Changing that back weight changes MOI and feel.  I have found the weights are very effective in changing how the club plays and feels.

• Like 1

Can anyone comment on how the Proto X or X+ compare to the old Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 816 Double Black Diamond driver? I know, it's always a mouthful to say.

The BBA 816 DBD driver paired with an Aldila Rogue Black shaft was easily the longest and most consistent driver I have ever gamed.

The Proto X is giving me similar vibes from what I can see, and I'm thinking pairing it with a Tensei Pro Blue could be a really nice combo.

3 hours ago, ajlacombe said:

The stock is 2.5g in both of mine, but I have a 50g shaft in my driver (actual weight about 57g), so if the shaft weight changes the head weight would either change or the swing weight would rise.  I think 2.5g is the lowest weight they have.  Changing that back weight changes MOI and feel.  I have found the weights are very effective in changing how the club plays and feels.

But how do you tell what is the weight? the 15g has a stamped behind it, but the stock does not have any indication.

4 minutes ago, vroom said:

But how do you tell what is the weight? the 15g has a stamped behind it, but the stock does not have any indication.

I believe that is because you are looking at the 2.5g weights and they are made in such a way that the inside is not flat all the way across - there is a raised cylinder in the middle with a lower section around the rim.  All of the other weights from 5g-20g, they are stamped with the weight.

Sorry about not mentioning it.  I always weigh weights and forgot that the small weight was not marked.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, vroom said:

The stock weights/plugs that have no number on them are 2.5g (I weighed them on a scale when I got mine). Every other weight I have from them (the drivers and gen2 putters use the same weight) has been exactly the printed the number 15/10/5 grams. 

• Thanks 1

I extended PXG in my bag quite significantly this week. Already gaming gen1 irons with steelfiber shafts. Absolutely loving theses. 

with the slashing of their prices and the very positive reviews on the Proto I thought it was time to go for a driver fitting in the Atlanta store. 

great store, nice fitter in Tommie. I Ended up with the Proto x with the riptide stiff flex shaft. But I might have been blown away by their hybrid and wood offering even more. 

hybrid, I’m typically fighting the lefties. Way less issues with the 317x. Wow what a solid feel, and this club is long. 

3 wood, I struggle with spin. Of the tee it is ok but through the hole I either have a tough time hitting it solid and when I hit it solid I generate so much spin that I hardly gain any distance over a 18d hybrid. Currently gaming a cobra f8* which gives the best results. 

I gave the 0341x 3 wood a shot and again such positive results. Spin nrs really good, distance significantly up as a result as well. And easier to hit as my current gamer. So ended up with 3 new pxg sticks. Did not see that coming. 

cant wait to get them, build is expected to start Monday. Good chance it will not be my last pxg club. Gaming a 22 g410 hybrid which is a great club, but I might swap it out for a pxg equivalent hybrid. First see how these perform from the rough. 

the fitting experience was really good, attention to detail and quality in each aspect. We were past closing time, I signed the deal on the new clubs and my fitter insisted we do a check up of my irons. Great service.  

• Like 4

Holy crap when did they open the store in Lenox mall? 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

One thing that bothers me slightly. Love the stealth and color scheme of pxg clubs. 

I end up with a riptide bright blue shaft in my driver and nv green shaft in my hybrid. I know I’ll get over it but would have loved some minimalist shaft graphics and color scheme in the shafts. 

Fortunately have a Black diamana S+ 70 in my 3 wood. 

2 minutes ago, Jimi Thing said:

One thing that bothers me slightly. Love the stealth and color scheme of pxg clubs. 

I end up with a riptide bright blue shaft in my driver and nv green shaft in my hybrid. I know I’ll get over it but would have loved some minimalist shaft graphics and color scheme in the shafts. 

Fortunately have a Black diamana S+ 70 in my 3 wood. 

Once you hit them you'll forget all about the shaft colors!  Good luck

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Lobber said:

Gaming Hybrid and 5 Wood and loving them both.  Driver is the real deal although I should have gone with X instead of X+.  Sold the X+ and the build on my Proto X starts Monday too.  Hope to have it by end of week.

Why did you move away from the X+?

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

5 minutes ago, OspreyCI said:

Why did you move away from the X+?

Losing a bit of distance due to spin.   My angle of attack is more downward and after comparing the two on a monitor I picked up distance and lowered spin with the X.  Don't get me wrong, I started this thread back in May and had great success with the X+.  However, ho that I am I always tinker to see if I can improve club performance.

• Haha 1