2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

PXG 0811 X+ Prototype Round 1

Lobber

1 minute ago, Lobber said:

Losing a bit of distance due to spin.   My angle of attack is more downward and after comparing the two on a monitor I picked up distance and lowered spin with the X.  Don't get me wrong, I started this thread back in May and had great success with the X+.  However, ho that I am I always tinker to see if I can improve club performance.

Haha on the tinkering - I am guilty.  Did the same thing with the X+ then X - currently gaming both depending on the course because the X is easier for me to fade.  I also bought the Gen2 then Gen 3 irons 😞

As far as the question on the hybrids - as many other have said these things are not the typical left machines that all hybrids have been for me in the past.  These are easy to hit from anywhere.  I really like them and when you have success it breeds more confidence in them.

• Like 3

PXG Gen 5 0311 9º, Kai'li Blue, Titleist TSr3, 9º, Ventus Blue

Titleist TSr2, 15º fw, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSr2, 20º fw, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSi2, 21º Hy, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSi2, 24º Hy, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist T150 6-48º Tensei AV Blue AM2

Vokey SM9 54º, 60º, Tensei AV Blue AM2

L.A.B. Golf DF3, MEZZ.1 Max reg & Broom,  MEZZ.1, DF 2.1 Reg & Broom

No room to list Bench Warmers 🙂

Anyone know (sorry didn’t read all 13 pages) if they are coming out with a Gen3 hybrid or a Proto hybrid like the driver?  

Callaway Paradym Smoke AI Triple Diamond 9* Proxima 6X

PXG Black Ops Tour-1 9* Ventus Blue Plus 6X

TM Stealth2 Plus 3 wood 15*- Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Rogue “T” Triple Diamond 19* 5 wood- Ventus TR Blue 8X
4-PW PXG Gen5 Darkness 0311T MMT 105TX 2* flat
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  50* Axiom 125X
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  54* Axiom 125X
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  58* Axiom 125X
LAB Mezz Max-heavy version, 35” with Stability Tour Fire shaft. Press II 3.0 grip
PXG Hybrid stand bag

Got my Proto X out for 9 holes in the rain, love the sound of it. Hit it well and look forward to a better day to see if there is a few more yards in it.

Callaway Smoke Max 10.5 GD AD VF 6s

Titleist TSR 2 16.5 GD AD UB 7s

Titleist TSR 2 21 GD AD DI 8x

Callaway APEX Pro / CB  4-11 PX IO 5.5 

Callaway full toe 54* PX IO  6.5

Callaway full toe 58* PX IO 6.5

SLED # 1  35.5

For you guys with the Proto, how long is your shaft playing 45”? My shaft coming is 43.25” and wondering if that will play at 45”. Thanks. 

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

26 minutes ago, OspreyCI said:

For you guys with the Proto, how long is your shaft playing 45”? My shaft coming is 43.25” and wondering if that will play at 45”. Thanks. 

I did not pull a shaft out but measured from butt to bottom of the ferrule and it is 42.25" - that is for a driver that plays at 45"

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, ajlacombe said:

I did not pull a shaft out but measured from butt to bottom of the ferrule and it is 42.25" - that is for a driver that plays at 45"

Anyone know the stock Proto head weight? Mine is at 199. Just want to make sure my setup will be at the correct swingweight without taking it to the shop.

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

38 minutes ago, OspreyCI said:

Anyone know the stock Proto head weight? Mine is at 199. Just want to make sure my setup will be at the correct swingweight without taking it to the shop.

The X is 201 and the X+ is 201.5 - with a 15g and 3 2.5g weights

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

read through almost this whole thread and still confused what option I would go with... considering booking a PXG fitting, which is obviously optimal, but id rather just order online now bc im impatient

over the last 5 years ive played M1, M5, Rogue SZ, G410 LST, Speedzone Xtreme, and currently SIM Max. Of those 6 drivers the M5 has been my favorite and most consistent for me. A very close 2nd and very surprising to me was the SZ Xtreme. I loved the forgiveness of the Xtreme and it did quite well keeping spin under 2500. What I hated was the look at address and the sound. Throughout months of testing the standard SIM in simulators and even my SIM Max on the course I cant close the face for the life of me. Im a diehard TM fan so I cling to the SIM Max bc I want it to work so bad for me but if im honest with myself ive had the worst driving year of my life. Im finally ready to give up on the Max and almost bought a Mavrik 

At fittings im typically around 3 up on AoA and keep spin around 2200. My miss is a bad face to path issue usually resulting in a slice. Otherwise im generally pretty neutral/straight. I dont play or try to hit a draw

what im considering is getting the X and lofting up, then tinkering with the weights. The 10.5 X+ im concerned I might launch a little higher than I like and I dont really like looking at an open face if I needed to loft down

Edited by JoeFrigo

TM Qi10 9* ... KBS TD Serape 60x

TM Stealth 2+ 4w ... KBS TD Rainbow 70x

TM Stealth 2+ 6w*... KBS TD Rainbow 80x

Titleist 5h 23* C1 ... KBS Proto 105 S+

Mizuno Pro 243 5 - P ... KBS TGI 110

TM MG4 50 S, 56 LB, 60 TW... KBS $-Taper 130x

Greyson x Bettinardi SS3 and QB6

TaylorMade TP5x

3 minutes ago, JoeFrigo said:

read through almost this whole thread and still confused what option I would go with... considering booking a PXG fitting, which is obviously optimal, but id rather just order online now bc im impatient

over the last 5 years ive played M1, M5, Rogue SZ, G410 LST, Speedzone Xtreme, and currently SIM Max. Of those 6 drivers the M5 has been my favorite and most consistent for me. A very close 2nd and very surprising to me was the SZ Xtreme. I loved the forgiveness of the Xtreme and it did quite well keeping spin under 2500. What I hated was the look at address and the sound. Throughout months of texting the standard SIM in simulators and even my SIM Max on the course I cant close the face for the life of me. Im finally ready to give up on the Max and almost bought a Mavrik 

At fittings im typically around 3 up on AoA and keep spin around 2200. My miss is a bad face to path issue usually resulting in a slice. Otherwise im generally pretty neutral/straight. I dont play or try to hit a draw

what im considering is getting the X and lofting up, then tinkering with the weights. The 10.5 X+ im concerned I might launch a little higher than I like and I dont really like looking at an open face if I needed to loft down

Oh man - I totally get the impatience 🙂  I wish you were closer and you could hit my drivers - I am near Cincinnati.  I would see if there are any members near suburban Chicago to help you out, but you could hit the Chicago store, right?

I was not fit, but think I have a + AOA and have forever hit a draw.  I think the X is a fade driver and the X+ is a draw to straight driver, despite having a more open and rounded face.  I currently game both based on the course.  THe X is in the bag if the course requires fades.

The Proto is not really like anything else I have hit - way more stable and easier to work the ball (for me).

If you have more specific questions, please ask.  I would go hit them to make sure that you do not have that lingering "What if I bought the other one" question in your head.  Or buy them both, but that would not answer what shaft works for you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, ajlacombe said:

Oh man - I totally get the impatience 🙂  I wish you were closer and you could hit my drivers - I am near Cincinnati.  I would see if there are any members near suburban Chicago to help you out, but you could hit the Chicago store, right?

I was not fit, but think I have a + AOA and have forever hit a draw.  I think the X is a fade driver and the X+ is a draw to straight driver, despite having a more open and rounded face.  I currently game both based on the course.  THe X is in the bag if the course requires fades.

The Proto is not really like anything else I have hit - way more stable and easier to work the ball (for me).

If you have more specific questions, please ask.  I would go hit them to make sure that you do not have that lingering "What if I bought the other one" question in your head.  Or buy them both, but that would not answer what shaft works for you.

The club ho in me just wants to buy buy buy lol. but ive done a good job the past 3 months consolidating from 4 full bags and about 15 - 20 driver and 3w shafts, down to 1 bag with 0 extra shafts

so yea I should go get fit and make the right choice. It just popped in my head today to consider the PXG with the crazy deals and sure enough there is a 4pm fitting time open today at the Chicago north brook location! I know after tomorrow I cant golf the next 2 weekends anyways so maybe getting fit is the better route to go

so the X+ sounds like the Speedzone Xtreme then. The Xtreme sits slight open as well, I just hated the long front to back shape and such an awful sound. It flat out produced tho but it was a 9* head.... maybe the X+ will shine for me with having the option to move weight

TaylorMade TP5x

2 minutes ago, JoeFrigo said:

The club ho in me just wants to buy buy buy lol. but ive done a good job the past 3 months consolidating from 4 full bags and about 15 - 20 driver and 3w shafts, down to 1 bag with 0 extra shafts

so yea I should go get fit and make the right choice. It just popped in my head today to consider the PXG with the crazy deals and sure enough there is a 4pm fitting time open today at the Chicago north brook location! I know after tomorrow I cant golf the next 2 weekends anyways so maybe getting fit is the better route to go

so the X+ sounds like the Speedzone Xtreme then. The Xtreme sits slight open as well, I just hated the long front to back shape and such an awful sound. It flat out produced tho but it was a 9* head.... maybe the X+ will shine for me with having the option to move weight

Wow on the consolidation - nice job.  I am and have been sitting on far too many clubs - I will channel your consolidation and get listing them 🙂

Awesome on the fitting - let us know how it goes.  The sound of the Proto is awesome IMO.  I think the shaft will be the key.  The weights allow a lot of adjustment for sure.

Good luck!

I started this thread off in May after purchasing the 0811X+ proto.  I gamed it for a number of months and while I loved the looks, sound, feel and overall performance I felt like I was spinning it too much.  I sold the club to another member and started gaming a SIM but always wondered what might have been had I gone with the 0811 X Proto.  I ordered last week with Hzdrus Smoke 70 and it arrived yesterday.  First round this morning and I was finding the center of the face and fairway like I have not for a long time   Distance, forgiveness, trajectory, etc. were ideal.    I did loft up to 10.5 and and left the heavy 15 gram weight in the front.  One round only but I really feel like I have found my set up!

• Like 3

Just picked up mine from the builder (bought shaft and head used). 0811x+ GD AD TP 5s at 44.75 D1. Will post a review after my Sunday round with the boys. 

Very excited to get this in play after being fit for the setup last month. Bought used and saved $150. 

• Like 3

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

1 hour ago, Jimi Thing said:

My order of Proto X driver, Gen2 3 wood and Gen2 3 Hybrid is shipped today to the ATL store. Can't wait for it to be Tuesday. Taking a couple of days of even next week to get this stuff out on the course and play it. Patience is not 1 of my qualities when it comes to new golf gear. 

Good luck   I think you will love them.  Gaming a 5 wood cranked to 16.5 and two hybrids.  Love them!

• Like 1

Just got my 0811x+ built and played my first round with it. BTW, I was fit for this setup at PXG HQ here in AZ.  Hit 4 balls in the dark before my money round.

Start off saying this is much more forgiving than my Gen2 0811x... much more forgiving!!! I absolutely think it’s the best shaped driver in the market. As another member said, this is a more draw based driver and I saw that today. I DO NOT draw a driver and had several baby draws that went forever. I needed to fade two drives around water and trees and I was able to. This thing is so good. 

Is it 20 yards farther than my Gen2... maybe... did I find more fairways than my Gen2... oh yes.. but I have a shaft in the Proto that fits me. The GD AD TP is just so sweet. Anyway, the Proto is definitely an upgrade from the Gen2. There is no doubt there.

Had 4 birdies (missed 2 footer for 5 birdies) and I contribute the fact that I was in the fairway more and in good spots farther than the fairway. Huge fan of the Proto.

Go see my Gen3 0311T review! So good! Oh... Gen2 Hybrid only used twice and one time left me a 10 foot eagle putt. Man I love that thing. Bag full of new PXG was fun today. 15 guys in the pot today and still

didn't win anything!!  My group of guys got game. 

• Like 4

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

Booked a fitting for this Thursday to see the most optimal set up for me. Never hit a PXG club before but seeing the hype and rave reviews of this I figured its time to take a chance while the sales are on

My current SIM Max is custom fit with a KBS TD shaft. Only had this combo for a month and now really have it dialed in. Im very excited to see how both PXG models compare and for the price ill most likely buy one, even if it just ends up being a backup. If it outperforms my SIM max then even better !!

• Like 1

TaylorMade TP5x

Alright so finished my fitting earlier today and ended up in the regular 0811x lofted up to 10* w/ Tensei pro orange. I gotta say this driver felt amazing and quick off the face

picked up 3mph over my SIM Max w/ KBS TD shaft. The sim Max and KBS isn’t a bad combo, it just isn’t fast. Gave me average of  10.4 launch at about 2000 spin (should probably have tried lofting up) and 160 ball speed.... PXG gave me just over 163 ball speed at 12.5 launch and 2200 spin. Also very impressed with the forgiveness of the standard/lower spinning 0811x!! I’m sure eventually I’ll hit some crap drives but today it never got away from me

• Like 1

TaylorMade TP5x

26 minutes ago, JoeFrigo said:

Alright so finished my fitting earlier today and ended up in the regular 0811x lofted up to 10* w/ Tensei pro orange. I gotta say this driver felt amazing and quick off the face

picked up 3mph over my SIM Max w/ KBS TD shaft. The sim Max and KBS isn’t a bad combo, it just isn’t fast. Gave me average of  10.4 launch at about 2000 spin (should probably have tried lofting up) and 160 ball speed.... PXG gave me just over 163 ball speed at 12.5 launch and 2200 spin. Also very impressed with the forgiveness of the standard/lower spinning 0811x!! I’m sure eventually I’ll hit some crap drives but today it never got away from me

Wow - awesome to hear - now you get to wait while it is being made 🙂  Let us know how it goes on the course.  It is always nice finding a club that allows your analytical mind to turn off while you swing it.  Amazing stuff happens when we get out of our own way 🙂

9 hours ago, ajlacombe said:

Wow - awesome to hear - now you get to wait while it is being made 🙂  Let us know how it goes on the course.  It is always nice finding a club that allows your analytical mind to turn off while you swing it.  Amazing stuff happens when we get out of our own way 🙂

it was a really fun time... For an hour fitting we settled in that combo in almost 20 minutes. It worked that well

Got to spend the next 20 minutes hitting the Gen 3 ST irons and OMG those things are pure!!!! Made my Z Forged feel like rocks lol. Those irons are definitely out of my budget but my fitter was really cool and let me hit anything I wanted since we had alot of extra time

but back to the driver... Driver looks gorgeous behind the ball. I said all year I think the SIM drivers frame the ball so well and I loved the top of the club at address. I want to say now that I prefer the PXG proto. 

I hit some low heel shots yesterday that somehow kept spin under 2500 yesterday and maybe 10 - 15 yards short of avg. It was surprisingly very very forgiving and I have 0 complaints. My biggest ball yesterday was 331 with a top speed of 167. Ive never gotten that before! With the counter balance of the Tensei Pro Orange we added a 20g weight instead of the 15g and thats when this combo just took off

With the price of these only being $365, I cant imagine or say that there is a better driver out right now than these. If they had a 3wood available I definitely would have walked out with one as well

Edited by JoeFrigo
  • Like 1

TaylorMade TP5x

21 minutes ago, JoeFrigo said:

it was a really fun time... For an hour fitting we settled in that combo in almost 20 minutes. It worked that well

Got to spend the next 20 minutes hitting the Gen 3 ST irons and OMG those things are pure!!!! Made by Z Forged feel like rocks lol. Those irons are definitely out of my budget but my fitter was really cool and let me hit anything I wanted since we had alot of extra time

but back to the driver... Driver looks gorgeous behind the ball. I said all year I think the SIM drivers frame the ball so well and I loved the top of the club at address. I want to say now that I prefer the PXG proto. 

I hit some low heel shots yesterday that somehow kept spin under 2500 yesterday and maybe 10 - 15 yards short of avg. It was surpassingly very very forgiving and I have 0 complaints. My biggest ball yesterday was 331 with a top speed of 167. Ive never gotten that before! With the counter balance of the Tensei Pro Orange we added a 20g weight instead of the 15g and thats when this combo just took off

With the price of these only being $365, I cant imagine or say that there is a better driver out right now than these. If they had a 3wood available I definitely would have walked out with one as well

It is always great to hear a fitting success story and if you have noticed, PXG seems to universally do a great job.  I hate sounding like a PXG fan boy but they have earned it in my book.  Everything I have gotten from them has worked out - even if I have gotten way too much.  Its time to start a massive backups sell off of the "old" stuff that was just replaced,

The 20g weight was a big thing for me as well.  Those weights really do change the performance of the driver unlike any other driver I have used in the past.  Not that other drivers do not change the performance, but that the Proto driver weights change the performance in meaningful ways for me.

• Like 2

Just ordered a 20 gram for mine. I built mine off used parts after my fitting and it came out at D1 at 44.75”. After the first round and some range time I want it at D3. The 20 gram will be perfect. 

• Like 1

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

So I started this topic off with the purchase of a ProtoX.   Very good driver as my comments stated.  Got the proverbial itch to go with the Proto (non X+) model and did so.   Both are great drivers but not doubt the Proto X is definitely more demanding than the Proto X+.  I'm a mid handicapper (8) and when I strike the Proto X well it flies but when I strike it off center ( and I'll admit more often than not) I lose a bit compared to the X+.  So I'm still weighing the pros and cons of both but can say w/o a doubt that they are both excellent drivers  And frankly, at $365 I am not sure there is a better deal on the market.  Get fit for the right setup and you are good to go

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Lobber said:

So I started this topic off with the purchase of a ProtoX.   Very good driver as my comments stated.  Got the proverbial itch to go with the Proto (non X+) model and did so.   Both are great drivers but not doubt the Proto X is definitely more demanding than the Proto X+.  I'm a mid handicapper (8) and when I strike the Proto X well it flies but when I strike it off center ( and I'll admit more often than not) I lose a bit compared to the X+.  So I'm still weighing the pros and cons of both but can say w/o a doubt that they are both excellent drivers  And frankly, at $365 I am not sure there is a better deal on the market.  Get fit for the right setup and you are good to go

Interesting on the more forgiving for the X+.  I did your same moves - bought the X+ and then the X - for me I find the X to suit me better - I was about to write more forgiving, but I am not sure that is it.  I like them both but side with the X right now since this life-long draw player can hit the thing both ways - I am similar handicap to you as well.

I agree on the value of these at the price.  I have enjoyed the hell out of them and have a lot of confidence on the tee - hard not to when you imagine a shot and routinely execute to plan 🙂  I will have to get the X+ out more often - I need to play more golf so I can do more testing

• Like 2

On 10/18/2020 at 7:50 PM, Lobber said:

100% agree!! still waiting for my proto x to be built and shipped but at $365 these are the best value out right now. Performance also exceeds the $365 value IMO. Easily a better driver than any of the sale drivers right now such as M5, g410, ts2/3

This even beat out my current SIM Max by 3mph

TaylorMade TP5x