PXG 0811 X+ Prototype Round 1

Lobber

I have been playing the proto X for about a month and a half and really think it is one of the best I have ever played, for a goof I put a 20 gr weight in the back and lofted up to 10.5 and it was fantastic today in a 15-20 mph wind. Tee it down and kept it low into the wind and teed up high downwind for high long for me drives.

Being old and not real fast Swing wise I was fit into the Fuji pro 2.0 6x to keep the spin down and it just works, I came from the Mavrik SZ with a GD AD BB 7X and the PXG combo is longer for me, not by a lot but longer.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Callaway Smoke Max 10.5 GD AD VF 6s

Titleist TSR 2 16.5 GD AD UB 7s

Titleist TSR 2 21 GD AD DI 8x

Callaway APEX Pro / CB  4-11 PX IO 5.5 

Callaway full toe 54* PX IO  6.5

Callaway full toe 58* PX IO 6.5

SLED # 1  35.5

12 minutes ago, Jim53 said:

I have been playing the proto X for about a month and a half and really think it is one of the best I have ever played, for a goof I put a 20 gr weight in the back and lofted up to 10.5 and it was fantastic today in a 15-20 mph wind. Tee it down and kept it low into the wind and teed up high downwind for high long for me drives.

Being old and not real fast Swing wise I was fit into the Fuji pro 2.0 6x to keep the spin down and it just works, I came from the Mavrik SZ with a GD AD BB 7X and the PXG combo is longer for me, not by a lot but longer.

I was fitted for the X+ and hated the shaft they put me in. Threw in a shaft from my ping g400 and it worked well. Then did a shaft fitting and love the shaft (straight as heck) but the spin is still too high so the distance is so so. Hoping the regular X will bring down the spin and get me some yards back. My last several drivers were 9* and the 10.5 just seemed to launch it too high. So we’ll see how my experiment goes. Plan is the stick the weight in the back on the 9 and go from there. . 

Edited by OldmanWatty
  • Like 2

First round with mine yesterday VS my SIM. Soft fairways, Pxg was on average 8 yards longer than SIM, but will have to compare when fairways firm up.  Nice neutral flight, launched higher than my gamer.  

• Like 4

WITB

Titleist TSR3 - HZRDUS Black

Stealth+ 2.0 at 16 degrees

G430 7 wood, flat minus 1.5

Ping I210's (again)

Glide 4.0 48, 53, 58

Ping Anser PLD

Pro V1X 

Bag - Hoofer Lite

Anyone able to compare Proto X to EFSZ TD and TSi3?

Gamed the TD for 2 years nothing has beat it in ball speed.

Cannot get fit currently stuck in Asia on work.

Callaway Tour Issue Paradym TD-S 8.5 (7.9) - Fujikura Ventus Black TR 5X

TaylorMade TOUR Stealth 2 15 - Fujikura Ventus Red TR 7X
PXG 0317X Gen 5 19  (Actual 17.5) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 8X
PXG 0311X Gen 5 -  Fujikura Ventus Blue 9X

PXG 0317T - 4 - LAGP L-Series (5) X
Miura KM-700  5-PW - LAGP L-Series (5) X
PXG Milled "Sugar Daddy 2 " 50,54,60 - DG TI S400
Scotty Cameron Holiday LTD (23}/ LAGP 135 (White)

8 hours ago, djhgolf said:

Anyone able to compare Proto X to EFSZ TD and TSi3?

Gamed the TD for 2 years nothing has beat it in ball speed.

Cannot get fit currently stuck in Asia on work.

I have an X+ and EFSZ and have played both a lot. Pure distance I’m faster and lower spin with the EFSZ. The X+ is more stable and sounds and feels much better/muted.

I received my 0811 X+ Proto today.  Ambient 32F and light snow at the range (covered).  My first impression is that I hit the ball straighter and more consistently than my SIM Max, which is exciting since I had my best driving season ever this year with the SIM Max. I really like being able to make the club flatter as well as the sound.  Using Top Tracer, well struck shots went about the same length but occurred more often with the Proto. 

I tried the lower loft and flatter settings but need to more time to dial in the right loft. I also haven't tried moving the heavy weight forward yet.

So far, pretty promising.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, CC Stryder said:

Well, I just picked up a Proto X+ head.  I’ve really been enjoying my Gen2 so if this is an improvement watch out!

Nice pickup. How do the faces compare length and height wise? 

PXG GEN6 0311 10.5*DRIVER/FUJI RED VELOCORE 6S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN5 0311XF 17*FAIRWAY/FUJI MOTORE X F3 7S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN3 0311XP 3 IRON/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN3 0311P 4-PW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN4 0311P GW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG SD II WEDGES/56/13&62/10/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/GP TW BLK

MACHINE M2A 1018RAW CS PUTTER/ACCRA I-STEEL/SS FLAT 1.0

50 minutes ago, evoviiiyou said:

Nice pickup. How do the faces compare length and height wise? 

I just purchased it today.  When I get it I’ll snap some pics and upload them!

I should clarify my Gen2 is an XF.  I had the Max a few years ago and it was the best I’ve ever driven the ball.  I love ping drivers but hate the turbulators.  I stumbled into the XF and it’s like a great looking and sounding Ping...

The reviews on the Proto have been great and I have several shafts with PXG tips so I figured why not?

Edited by CC Stryder
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, 4cowboys said:

With all the new driver releases, those who have the proto drivers. Are you still playing them, or moved  on to something else? And why? Thanks!

Wow - yes I am still playing my Proto X - for me it is the best driver I have ever owned, and I hate to think of how many I have owned 🙂  I also have the Proto X+ and that is not going anywhere either.

Reason it is the best for me?  Last Sunday I hit 13 of 14 drives exactly where I wanted to hit them - and days like that happen more times than not.  It just works for me.

As an aside, I was listening to No Putts Given from My Golf Spy and Adam Beech basically gave it away that the next generation of PXG woods is imminent.  This is my opinion on the interpretation, but he was alluding to the upcoming Most Wanted Driver/Woods tests that they are doing and he said that there will be something that surprises you about the PXG woods.  To me that has to mean that they are testing new PXG woods.

The big question is can all of YOU (certainly not me) Club HOs keep your credit card in your wallet when they are released 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

PXG Gen 5 0311 9º, Kai'li Blue, Titleist TSr3, 9º, Ventus Blue

Titleist TSr2, 15º fw, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSr2, 20º fw, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSi2, 21º Hy, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSi2, 24º Hy, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist T150 6-48º Tensei AV Blue AM2

Vokey SM9 54º, 60º, Tensei AV Blue AM2

L.A.B. Golf DF3, MEZZ.1 Max reg & Broom,  MEZZ.1, DF 2.1 Reg & Broom

No room to list Bench Warmers 🙂

I just got mine. 2 rounds in so I’ll be sticking with it for awhile. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

21 minutes ago, ajlacombe said:

Wow - yes I am still playing my Proto X - for me it is the best driver I have ever owned, and I hate to think of how many I have owned 🙂  I also have the Proto X+ and that is not going anywhere either.

Reason it is the best for me?  Last Sunday I hit 13 of 14 drives exactly where I wanted to hit them - and days like that happen more times than not.  It just works for me.

As an aside, I was listening to No Putts Given from My Golf Spy and Adam Beech basically gave it away that the next generation of PXG woods is imminent.  This is my opinion on the interpretation, but he was alluding to the upcoming Most Wanted Driver/Woods tests that they are doing and he said that there will be something that surprises you about the PXG woods.  To me that has to mean that they are testing new PXG woods.

The big question is can all of YOU (certainly not me) Club HOs keep your credit card in your wallet when they are released 🙂 

The Gen 4 driver pics were online recently 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

Another one here that has no desire to try a "new driver".  Picked up the Proto back in July and its been great for me from day one....since putting a new upgraded shaft in it (Ventus Blue 6s) its been even better.  Can't imagine any driver giving me anything better then what I now have.  First time ever that I can honestly say I'm not looking for a new driver.  I usually go through 2-3 a year.

• Like 2

Driver:  MIZUNO ST-G 440 (9.5d) - Lin-Q Red 60s

Fwy:  MIZUNO ST-G Titanium 3w (15) - Lin-Q Red 60s

Fwy:  COBRA F6 Baffler (19) - Hzrdus Red 75/6.0
Hybrid:  COBRA F7 Hybrid (22) - Tour Blue 85s

Iron:  MIZUNO Pro 245 (5 - G) - Recoil Proto 125 F4
Wedge:  MIZUNO T24 Denim Copper (54/10) - Recoil Wedge Proto F4     
Wedge:  TAYLORMADE Hi-Toe Copper (60/10) - Recoil Wedge Proto F4

Putter:  LAJOSI DD201 Copper Flow or MANNKRAFTED MA-55 Flow
Bag:  BENNINGTON LQO-9 Stand Bag or Ogio Silencer Cart

My PROTO is being built as we speak.  Looking forward to comparing it to my SIM...I like everything I have read and the added forgiveness and the ability to locate the heavy weight (mass) behind my miss (toe) looks promising.  Thanks for the insights everyone.  

I’m eagerly awaiting mine.  I really like the Gen2 and by all accounts the proto is a big step up from that.  To be honest I love all the PXG woods.  I’ve been fitted multiple times and I’ve tried all sorts of drivers.  Once I dial something in they all perform similarly but there was always some nagging problem aesthetically which eventually led me to look elsewhere. 

PXG nails all of those.  They have the matte black look that I love, no silly protrusions or appendages, and the sound is great.  

Edited by CC Stryder
  • Like 3

I want to also add....driving for me has always been hit or miss, when my driver is on I score well and go low (for me / 75-80), but when its off mid 80's all day long.  I can confidently say that with this new combo my driving has went from an unknown to now #2 weapon in my arsenal next to my putter.  Can't wait for this new season to roll around and see how much my game improves with this club.

• Like 3

Driver:  MIZUNO ST-G 440 (9.5d) - Lin-Q Red 60s

Fwy:  MIZUNO ST-G Titanium 3w (15) - Lin-Q Red 60s

Fwy:  COBRA F6 Baffler (19) - Hzrdus Red 75/6.0
Hybrid:  COBRA F7 Hybrid (22) - Tour Blue 85s

Iron:  MIZUNO Pro 245 (5 - G) - Recoil Proto 125 F4
Wedge:  MIZUNO T24 Denim Copper (54/10) - Recoil Wedge Proto F4     
Wedge:  TAYLORMADE Hi-Toe Copper (60/10) - Recoil Wedge Proto F4

Putter:  LAJOSI DD201 Copper Flow or MANNKRAFTED MA-55 Flow
Bag:  BENNINGTON LQO-9 Stand Bag or Ogio Silencer Cart

On the fence here, great thread tho! Any thoughts on the 0211 driver? Is it just the 0811x+ with less adjustablity? $295 vs $375 so I'm doing some hard thinking....going to pull the trigger on one of them.

Wondering if there is something lacking in the 0211 as compared to the 0811x+ as it's so cheap.

Yankees Suck

6 minutes ago, yellolab said:

On the fence here, great thread tho! Any thoughts on the 0211 driver? Is it just the 0811x+ with less adjustablity? $295 vs $375 so I'm doing some hard thinking....going to pull the trigger on one of them.

Wondering if there is something lacking in the 0211 as compared to the 0811x+ as it's so cheap.

I've pulled the trigger on the 0211 and also own the Proto.  I'm *hoping* that the 0211 will be another 2016 M2 in that it's a simple, weight back/forgiving driver that feels great and has lower spin.  The Proto still has the adjustability which I do mess with from time to time but if the 0211 is super forgiving and low spin then I won't need to mess with any weights.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 4cowboys said:

With all the new driver releases, those who have the proto drivers. Are you still playing them, or moved  on to something else? And why? Thanks!

Proto X is best driver ive ever played hands down. Im not sure how different the Gen4 drivers will play, but for me the Proto X has the advantage with the 4 interchangeable weights vs 3 for the Gen4's

Proto kicked the SIM and SIM Max out of the bag immediately. Looks great, sounds awesome, and goes for miles! Like any driver a good fitting is key. I had to add the 20g weight to mine and went with counter balanced shaft. 2mph faster than anything else I hit but also most consistent in terms of launch and spin

Proto X is also very forgiving

• Like 4

TM Qi10 9* ... KBS TD Serape 60x

TM Stealth 2+ 4w ... KBS TD Rainbow 70x

TM Stealth 2+ 6w*... KBS TD Rainbow 80x

Titleist 5h 23* C1 ... KBS Proto 105 S+

Mizuno Pro 243 5 - P ... KBS TGI 110

TM MG4 50 S, 56 LB, 60 TW... KBS $-Taper 130x

Greyson x Bettinardi SS3 and QB6

TaylorMade TP5x

7 hours ago, ajlacombe said:

No way they have their hands on Gen4 this early. He must be talking about 0211 for testing. 

Edited by snagy2000

17 minutes ago, snagy2000 said:

No way they have their hands on Gen4 this early. He must be talking about 0211 for testing. 

https://www.golfwrx.com/644631/golfwrx-spotted-pxg-gen4-drivers-on-conforming-list/

PXG Gen 5 0311 9º, Kai'li Blue, Titleist TSr3, 9º, Ventus Blue

Titleist TSr2, 15º fw, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSr2, 20º fw, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSi2, 21º Hy, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSi2, 24º Hy, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist T150 6-48º Tensei AV Blue AM2

Vokey SM9 54º, 60º, Tensei AV Blue AM2

L.A.B. Golf DF3, MEZZ.1 Max reg & Broom,  MEZZ.1, DF 2.1 Reg & Broom

No room to list Bench Warmers 🙂

Ordered with the Diamana S+ 60X (I remember the 60S played soft) with the D4 swing weight build on 44.5” with a white golf pride tour wrap (56grams), the 60X should be pretty smooth and stable.

Also, have the goto Tensei AV RAW Blue 65S and Accra TZ6 M4 both tipped 1/2” on deck for PXG adapters for some trials. 

It’s like Christmas all over again. Pretty stoked. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, evoviiiyou said:

Ordered with the Diamana S+ 60X (I remember the 60S played soft) with the D4 swing weight build on 44.5” with a white golf pride tour wrap (56grams), the 60X should be pretty smooth and stable.

Also, have the goto Tensei AV RAW Blue 65S and Accra TZ6 M4 both tipped 1/2” on deck for PXG adapters for some trials. 

It’s like Christmas all over again. Pretty stoked. 

Welcome to the club!  I know the feeling, I booked some time on trackman to do my own fitting with both clubs and then later will have a shootout.  The XF is like a Ping G400 max with better looks and sound.  It’s massively confidence inspiring.  The Proto is just beautiful and I love the weight adjustability, which I’ll test in both the toe and front.  They also bring my favorite thing from the G410...the flat lie setting! 

I went with the X+ since I have a 3 degree upward strike on my driver and supposedly that’s what it’s designed for...but I may even pick up a proto x eventually (though I usually don’t jive well with low spin drivers on the course).  

Here’s some pics as you requested.  Proto on the left, XF on the right.  The one knock I have on the XF is it sits a little closed (but that’s because my miss is left).  I just need to grip it and hover vs ground the club and grip.  The Proto sits marginally open when set square which I prefer.

D7DF7CA6-4798-4209-9FA1-0AAD18815E34.jpeg.953d369805f58e00dc5b585d1b459227.jpeg

851ACDB3-2AB2-406E-8160-1C8FD762EEAD.jpeg.2780f90dc952c4e5b6d8980670c1923e.jpeg

4A214989-766D-4FF6-A849-E99BC61F032B.jpeg.548acbe8637d2a794b7961a5398ed7fe.jpeg

Proto

4A28E0BE-0229-445D-88E9-D2D72CF7FB1F.jpeg.df013810876642758b4dd0f077308570.jpeg

Gen2 XF

F949A7AE-F958-48DA-B541-FF4B2B6DF905.jpeg.d244d3e97eed28ab5d21eea1a600597a.jpeg

Edited by CC Stryder
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, CC Stryder said:

Welcome to the club!  I know the feeling, I booked some time on trackman to do my own fitting with both clubs and then later will have a shootout.  The XF is like a Ping G400 max with better looks and sound.  It’s massively confidence inspiring.  The Proto is just beautiful and I love the weight adjustability, which I’ll test in both the toe and front.  They also bring my favorite thing from the G410...the flat lie setting! 

I went with the X+ since I have a 3 degree upward strike on my driver and supposedly that’s what it’s designed for...but I may even pick up a proto x eventually (though I usually don’t jive well with low spin drivers on the course).  

Here’s some pics as you requested.  Proto on the left, XF on the right.  The one knock I have on the XF is it sits a little closed (but that’s because my miss is left).  I just need to grip it and hover vs ground the club and grip.  The Proto sits marginally open when set square which I prefer.

D7DF7CA6-4798-4209-9FA1-0AAD18815E34.jpeg.953d369805f58e00dc5b585d1b459227.jpeg

851ACDB3-2AB2-406E-8160-1C8FD762EEAD.jpeg.2780f90dc952c4e5b6d8980670c1923e.jpeg

4A214989-766D-4FF6-A849-E99BC61F032B.jpeg.548acbe8637d2a794b7961a5398ed7fe.jpeg

Proto

4A28E0BE-0229-445D-88E9-D2D72CF7FB1F.jpeg.df013810876642758b4dd0f077308570.jpeg

Gen2 XF

F949A7AE-F958-48DA-B541-FF4B2B6DF905.jpeg.d244d3e97eed28ab5d21eea1a600597a.jpeg

Love the way the PROTO sets up.  No question both beautiful and thank you again for sharing.

• Like 1