PXG 0811 X+ Prototype Round 1

Lobber

3 hours ago, AllyOops said:

Hi all...New here, but I thought I'd share some info on the X+ for those who say its to spinny. First of all, I'm 5'11" female with a 95-98mph ss and 125lbs. I'm coming from a Cally XR16 with the stock Fuji 565 red Speeder in X-flex that played 45.5". I got the X+ with the Riptide 50 in S also +.5" playing at 45.5". Yes, its spinny, but only with that setup. I purchased a new HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 60 in TX flex, and it brought the launch angle and spin way, way down. I now have it set +1.5 degrees playing at 12 degrees with the 15g weight in front, and its perfect with around 2600rpm spin. My home course has a lot of forced carries, so I need max carry, and I'm getting average 230yds! That is huge for me. This is truly a remarkable driver! For those that are having spin issues, you really need to try a low/low shaft profile before blowing a bunch of $$ on the non plus model. But, I know you guys are club ho's, so whatevs! LOL

This is what makes each of us unique!  I have a +3-4 degree attack angle off the tee and am not a high spin player.  For me the X+ spins right around the sweet spot around 2200 at 9.5 degrees in the flat setting with either my AD-TP and a little less with my Accra TZ6.  Plus I prefer a head that looks a little open...so it’s a win win there.  The more I hit this driver, the more I like it...

But I also want to try the X now.  Ho indeed!  🙋🏼‍♂️ 

Edited by CC Stryder
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, CC Stryder said:

This is what makes each of us unique!  I have a +3-4 degree attack angle off the tee and am not a high spin player.  For me the X+ spins right around the sweet spot around 2200 at 9.5 degrees in the flat setting with either my AD-TP and a little less with my Accra TZ6.  Plus I prefer a head that looks a little open...so it’s a win win there.  The more I hit this driver, the more I like it...

LOL you just can't help yourself can you? 😂 Have fun!!!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AllyOops said:

I can...It’s a conscious choice not to!

I mean, once I get a gamer bag set I’ll have to build a back up travel bag.  And of course a minimalist bag for the quick walking 9.  And...

It’s pretty much the ONLY thing I buy myself these days so I consider it my indulgence.  And most of my league loves it as they snag up my one round old club I hit twice and hated at a discount.  Win/win! 

Edited by CC Stryder
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, AllyOops said:

Haha - that is why Golf WRX is so awesome - Club Ho's Unite 🙂   I went about 7 years with my first set, then about 15 with the next and then they got me and I was addicted.  Then a friend suggested I start selling the old clubs and my fate was set 🙂  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

PXG Gen 5 0311 9º, Kai'li Blue, Titleist TSr3, 9º, Ventus Blue

Titleist TSr2, 15º fw, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSr2, 20º fw, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSi2, 21º Hy, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSi2, 24º Hy, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist T150 6-48º Tensei AV Blue AM2

Vokey SM9 54º, 60º, Tensei AV Blue AM2

L.A.B. Golf DF3, MEZZ.1 Max reg & Broom,  MEZZ.1, DF 2.1 Reg & Broom

No room to list Bench Warmers 🙂

TZ6 and that head has to look so good 😊 almost like a match made in a collaboration. 

Update: various weights ordered for test and tune session for my +. Set ups I outlined for trial are for my current spec are below. At my playing length 44.5”/D4sw/small minus/GP Tour wrap standard white/ stock config has 3x2.5gram weights and 1x12.5 for a total of 20grams of movable weights...

ft12.5x2.5x2.5x2.5 (current fitted gamer set up)

Test Set Ups 

5x5x5x5

ft7.5 rr7.5 h2.5 t2.5

ft10 rr2.5 h5 t2.5

All my other options are probably are too close in weight to notice any changes. I never thought this journey would turn out so fun. 

• Like 3

PXG GEN6 0311 10.5*DRIVER/FUJI RED VELOCORE 6S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN5 0311XF 17*FAIRWAY/FUJI MOTORE X F3 7S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN3 0311XP 3 IRON/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN3 0311P 4-PW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN4 0311P GW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG SD II WEDGES/56/13&62/10/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/GP TW BLK

MACHINE M2A 1018RAW CS PUTTER/ACCRA I-STEEL/SS FLAT 1.0

7 hours ago, evoviiiyou said:

TZ6 and that head has to look so good 😊 almost like a match made in a collaboration. 

Update: various weights ordered for test and tune session for my +. Set ups I outlined for trial are for my current spec are below. At my playing length 44.5”/D4sw/small minus/GP Tour wrap standard white/ stock config has 3x2.5gram weights and 1x12.5 for a total of 20grams of movable weights...

Test Set Ups 

5x5x5x5

ft7.5 rr7.5 h2.5 t2.5

ft10 rr2.5 h5 t2.5

All my other options are probably are too close in weight to notice any changes. I never thought this journey would turn out so fun. 

Indeed it does look good!  I’m anxious to hear how much the weights effect your ball flight!  It did a significant job of altering Ian’s draw in the TXG video.  I’m planning on ordering some weights soon myself, maybe a 7.5 and a single heavier 20.

Waiting to see more info on the new Bat Attack as well since the 7s was one of my all time favorites until they putt a stroke lab in it.  May have to pick up another hybrid too.  I’ve pretty much gone all in on PXG at this point...just picked these up even!

7756B4C0-10AC-4173-8EA7-D1790A3FC41F.jpeg.1f4f5635333a7fa4680dc47fa440ab81.jpeg

Edited by CC Stryder
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, CC Stryder said:

Indeed it does look good!  I’m anxious to hear how much the weights effect your ball flight!  It did a significant job of altering Ian’s draw in the TXG video.  I’m planning on ordering some weights soon myself, maybe a 7.5 and a single heavier 20.

Waiting to see more info on the new Bat Attack as well since the 7s was one of my all time favorites until they putt a stroke lab in it.  May have to pick up another hybrid too.  I’ve pretty much gone all in on PXG at this point...just picked these up even!

7756B4C0-10AC-4173-8EA7-D1790A3FC41F.jpeg.1f4f5635333a7fa4680dc47fa440ab81.jpeg

So.... how do you like the Gen3 irons?  I have never hit Steelfiber shafts - what are they like? The 19º black iron looks cool as well - that is interesting having a 23º hybrid and then going to an iron hybrid.  Also, you go from 6i to 23º hybrid - seems like a gap in yardage there?

Sorry to be nosy - that looks like a cool setup and I was wondering how it has all worked out.  I have the Elevate 95s in my Gen3 irons and they have been great - I can feel them load which is new for me.

• Like 1

Those look awesome. Will always have a soft spot for PXG irons.  Loved my Gen1. The Gen3 are the best they’ve made imo.  

I had Steelfibers in mine and loved the combo.  

im now playing 921 forged with recoils and struggling as I haven’t had any consistent practice time with the weather to figure out the differences.  

• Like 2

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

8 hours ago, evoviiiyou said:

Test Set Ups 

5x5x5x5

ft7.5 rr7.5 h2.5 t2.5

ft10 rr2.5 h5 t2.5

I really like this idea! I feel like the 15g and the 3 x 2.5g is too extreme. I'm going to get a 12.5g and a 5g and put the 12.5 up front and the 5 in the rear and leave the 2.5's in the sides. Being a chick, I've always played a lighter weight driver, and was somewhat inconsistent with my XR16. The Proto + and a heavier stiffer shaft combo is producing faster swing speeds for me, and is easily the straightest, longest setup I've used in 10 years. The Proto + is my third driver I've owned, and I have a full bag of mens clubs now. I'm really much more consistent with heavier weight clubs. Hope to be single digit soon. Yes, I also play from mens tees! LOL

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ajlacombe said:

So.... how do you like the Gen3 irons?  I have never hit Steelfiber shafts - what are they like? The 19º black iron looks cool as well - that is interesting having a 23º hybrid and then going to an iron hybrid.  Also, you go from 6i to 23º hybrid - seems like a gap in yardage there?

Sorry to be nosy - that looks like a cool setup and I was wondering how it has all worked out.  I have the Elevate 95s in my Gen3 irons and they have been great - I can feel them load which is new for me.

So far I love the Gen3 irons.  I hit the ones and enjoyed them but not enough for the cost, I played Mizuno 900 forged/tour combo instead.  I skipped the Gen2 and with the sale was going to order some but watched and read a lot of reviews on the differences between the 2 and 3 and I got a good deal on the 3 so took the leap.

PX 5.5 is my go to shaft after ho’ing all sorts, old faithful.  Not ironically every fit I’ve had (4 now) and even the Mizuno shaft optimizer puts that as my #1.  A buddy was having elbow problems and went to SF 110 in stiff and let me use them for a round...and I’ve loved SF ever since.  They play similar to my PX with marginally higher launch but all the control I want.  I swing them with a much better tempo for some reason.  The 115 is new to me, so we’ll see how it pans out.  

It’s a unique set up indeed.  I had planned to buy a P series 5 iron but didn’t like the offset.  Then I debated getting a 5 hybrid with the sale but decided I’d book some trackman time to see.  What I ended up doing was strengthening my 6 iron 1.5 degrees and it gapped out great on trackman.  My hybrid stock shot is 200 carry.  I can step on it for 205ish or smooth it for 195.  The 6 iron is 185 stock.  I can step on it for 190 or smooth it for 180.  My 7 iron is 168...again up or down.  I find no reason to add another club to those gaps.  If after a good drive I have more than 210 in on a par 4 I’m playing the wrong tees (or I earned a longer shot with a horrific drive).  

The 3 iron is great off the tee especially for a lot of the courses I play in PA.  What surprised me was how playable it was from the deck.  It’s a 220 carry off the deck (again, according to trackman) with some roll.  Then I gap my 4 wood at 235.  After looking at my stats over the years I don’t go for par 5 in two unless it’s under 210 in (which is rare) because I usually put myself in trouble and fight for a par.  I’m much better to lay up to a stock 100 yard sand wedge and give myself a birdie look.  The decision to go hybrid in 4 is solely for height and stopping power.  The 3 iron is to chase it down as far as it will go and off the tee alternative.  It’s unique but works well for me and my crappy game.

58 minutes ago, Minarets said:

Those look awesome. Will always have a soft spot for PXG irons.  Loved my Gen1. The Gen3 are the best they’ve made imo.  

I had Steelfibers in mine and loved the combo.  

im now playing 921 forged with recoils and struggling as I haven’t had any consistent practice time with the weather to figure out the differences.  

I loved the iblades when I played them a few years ago.  As I got older and played less due to life I ended up wanting something a little longer and more forgiving.  I’ve been futilely waiting to see if Ping will release an iBlade update. The way I describe these Gen3 T to my friends is exactly this.  It’s a better feeling, faster/longer, more forgiving IBlade.

Even if the SF don’t pan out I’ll likely order a set with PX 5.5 and sell these.  They are fantastic irons!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CC Stryder said:

So far I love the Gen3 irons.  I hit the ones and enjoyed them but not enough for the cost, I played Mizuno 900 forged/tour combo instead.  I skipped the Gen2 and with the sale was going to order some but watched and read a lot of reviews on the differences between the 2 and 3 and I got a good deal on the 3 so took the leap.

PX 5.5 is my go to shaft after ho’ing all sorts, old faithful.  Not ironically every fit I’ve had (4 now) and even the Mizuno shaft optimizer puts that as my #1.  A buddy was having elbow problems and went to SF 110 in stiff and let me use them for a round...and I’ve loved SF ever since.  They play similar to my PX with marginally higher launch but all the control I want.  I swing them with a much better tempo for some reason.  The 115 is new to me, so we’ll see how it pans out.  

It’s a unique set up indeed.  I had planned to buy a P series 5 iron but didn’t like the offset.  Then I debated getting a 5 hybrid with the sale but decided I’d book some trackman time to see.  What I ended up doing was strengthening my 6 iron 1.5 degrees and it gapped out great on trackman.  My hybrid stock shot is 200 carry.  I can step on it for 205ish or smooth it for 195.  The 6 iron is 185 stock.  I can step on it for 190 or smooth it for 180.  My 7 iron is 168...again up or down.  I find no reason to add another club to those gaps.  If after a good drive I have more than 210 in on a par 4 I’m playing the wrong tees (or I earned a longer shot with a horrific drive).  

The 3 iron is great off the tee especially for a lot of the courses I play in PA.  What surprised me was how playable it was from the deck.  It’s a 220 carry off the deck (again, according to trackman) with some roll.  Then I gap my 4 wood at 235.  After looking at my stats over the years I don’t go for par 5 in two unless it’s under 210 in (which is rare) because I usually put myself in trouble and fight for a par.  I’m much better to lay up to a stock 100 yard sand wedge and give myself a birdie look.  The decision to go hybrid in 4 is solely for height and stopping power.  The 3 iron is to chase it down as far as it will go and off the tee alternative.  It’s unique but works well for me and my crappy game.

I loved the iblades when I played them a few years ago.  As I got older and played less due to life I ended up wanting something a little longer and more forgiving.  I’ve been futilely waiting to see if Ping will release an iBlade update. The way I describe these Gen3 T to my friends is exactly this.  It’s a better feeling, faster/longer, more forgiving IBlade.

Even if the SF don’t pan out I’ll likely order a set with PX 5.5 and sell these.  They are fantastic irons!

Hey CC, is the Steelfiber 115 the fc they list on the website?  I've only demoed the 110cw (it was ok but felt a little light), currently playing a Recoil 110F5 got a killer deal on them so went this way instead of the Steelfiber...but thinking the 115fc might fit the bill a little better due to weight.

Driver:  MIZUNO ST-G 440 (9.5d) - Lin-Q Red 60s

Fwy:  MIZUNO ST-G Titanium 3w (15) - Lin-Q Red 60s

Fwy:  COBRA F6 Baffler (19) - Hzrdus Red 75/6.0
Hybrid:  COBRA F7 Hybrid (22) - Tour Blue 85s

Iron:  MIZUNO Pro 245 (5 - G) - Recoil Proto 125 F4
Wedge:  MIZUNO T24 Denim Copper (54/10) - Recoil Wedge Proto F4     
Wedge:  TAYLORMADE Hi-Toe Copper (60/10) - Recoil Wedge Proto F4

Putter:  LAJOSI DD201 Copper Flow or MANNKRAFTED MA-55 Flow
Bag:  BENNINGTON LQO-9 Stand Bag or Ogio Silencer Cart

35 minutes ago, AllyOops said:

I really like this idea! I feel like the 15g and the 3 x 2.5g is too extreme. I'm going to get a 12.5g and a 5g and put the 12.5 up front and the 5 in the rear and leave the 2.5's in the sides. Being a chick, I've always played a lighter weight driver, and was somewhat inconsistent with my XR16. The Proto + and a heavier stiffer shaft combo is producing faster swing speeds for me, and is easily the straightest, longest setup I've used in 10 years. The Proto + is my third driver I've owned, and I have a full bag of mens clubs now. I'm really much more consistent with heavier weight clubs. Hope to be single digit soon. Yes, I also play from mens tees! LOL

That’s awesome Ally!  One of my friend’s younger sister played college golf at Duke.  We played a local resort course together a few years ago and she played the men’s tees with us.  It was glorious to watch, she was long enough off the tee (230ish) but the key was flawless.  She hit nearly every fairway and any miss was in the first cut.  She hit most greens in reg.  She didn’t 3 putt often.  It was smooth, consistent and frankly made me examine how I approached the game.  I quit trying to kill the ball, spent a lot of time working on tempo, and tried to make smarter course decisions (ala lay up more often, make a smart miss - don’t shortide, if you miss a green make sure the next one is on - no need for that sick flop shot I’ll fail more than pull off, don’t go for every pin, go for the center of the green).  When I started doing those things my handicap went down below single digits and I’ve been there since.

I still thank her every time I see her!  Someday I expect you’ll open up someone’s eyes to a new game as well after you take their money!

Edited by CC Stryder
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, eddiebigeddie said:

Hey CC, is the Steelfiber 115 the fc they list on the website?  I've only demoed the 110cw (it was ok but felt a little light), currently playing a Recoil 110F5 got a killer deal on them so went this way instead of the Steelfiber...but thinking the 115fc might fit the bill a little better due to weight.

Hey Eddie - it is.  According to what I’ve read the 115 was designed to help transition steel players used to moderate weights.  The FC (flight control) plays sort of like the PX flighted shafts I had years ago.  It may very well be what allows me to carry a 6 iron then go to my 4 hybrid.  I’m getting better launch and playability from the 6 (with slightly strengthened loft).  I like my irons at D1 which is what these are so it feels great.  My other set I played most of last year were Hogan PTx/Icon with KBS tour V which I still have and love and play D1.  

I had recoil 110 in my Z765 and they were ok.  I much prefer SF between the two but that’s entirely user choice.  Hit me up with a PM and I can keep you posted as I get some more time with them!

Edited by CC Stryder
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, CC Stryder said:

That’s awesome Ally!  One of my friend’s younger sister played college golf at Duke.  We played a local resort course together a few years ago and she played the men’s tees with us.  It was glorious to watch, she was long enough off the tee (230ish) but the key was flawless.  She hit nearly every fairway and any miss was in the first cut.  She hit most greens in reg.  She didn’t 3 putt often.  It was smooth, consistent and frankly made me examine how I approached the game.  I quit trying to kill the ball, spent a lot of time working on tempo, and tried to make smarter course decisions (ala lay up more often, make a smart miss - don’t shortide, if you miss a green make sure the next one is on - no need for that sick flop shot I’ll fail more than pull off, don’t go for every pin, go for the center of the green).  When I started doing those things my handicap went down below single digits and I’ve been there since.

I still thank her every time I see her!  Someday I expect you’ll open up someone’s eyes to a new game as well after you take their money!

Thanks CC! My brothers made me play off the mens tees 'cause they were sick of me beating them from the forward tees! LOL. So I had to learn to carry the ball as far as I can to get over hazards. I need SOME spin - between 2500 - 2700 is optimal for me with a 95-98 mph ss. The Proto + and the HZRDUS RDX is killer! I have to loft it up to 12* or I don't get the longest carry numbers. If I loft it down to 10.5 I get longer overall distance, but the carry numbers are too short. I'm 29, so the ladies league is not my gig. I play 9 by myself every other day in the afternoon when its quiet. I play 18 with my brothers on the weekends where we can talk smack and get competitive! I have a Gen2 0317X 17* HZRDUS Smoke black in stiff coming today. I ordered it on the 14th so PXG is building and shipping the older models faster than they state on the website FYI. I don't carry a fairway wood. I use a 20* Titleist 718 TMB with a HZRDUS Smoke black in Stiff I had my brother make me. I have brand new Titleist 718 AP2 4-Pw with TT AMT tour white s300. I'm going to kick their asses this weekend! 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, AllyOops said:

Thanks CC! My brothers made me play off the mens tees 'cause they were sick of me beating them from the forward tees! LOL. So I had to learn to carry the ball as far as I can to get over hazards. I need SOME spin - between 2500 - 2700 is optimal for me with a 95-98 mph ss. The Proto + and the HZRDUS RDX is killer! I have to loft it up to 12* or I don't get the longest carry numbers. If I loft it down to 10.5 I get longer overall distance, but the carry numbers are too short. I'm 29, so the ladies league is not my gig. I play 9 by myself every other day in the afternoon when its quiet. I play 18 with my brothers on the weekends where we can talk smack and get competitive! I have a Gen2 0317X 17* HZRDUS Smoke black in stiff coming today. I ordered it on the 14th so PXG is building and shipping the older models faster than they state on the website FYI. I don't carry a fairway wood. I use a 20* Titleist 718 TMB with a HZRDUS Smoke black in Stiff I had my brother make me. I have brand new Titleist 718 AP2 4-Pw with TT AMT tour white s300. I'm going to kick their asses this weekend! 

Sounds like a great set up.  I really wish I would have gotten into the game when I was younger.  What a great way to spend time with your siblings!

My money is on you, go get ‘em!

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, CC Stryder said:

Sounds like a great set up.  I really wish I would have gotten into the game when I was younger.  What a great way to spend time with your siblings!

My money is on you, go get ‘em!

Thanks! I have faith in my new PXGs. I'm going to the range tomorrow morning to hit the new PXG Gen2 17* hybrid. Not playing or practice today. I'll post this weekend the results of the skirmish and I hope they'll be buying me dinner and not just pizza this time. Wishful thinking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hey guys...Today's Trackman #'s w/ Proto X+ set at 12* HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX TX flex @ 45.5" SS: 99mph. Smash: 1.49, AoA 3.2*, Launch: 12.9*, Spin: 2629rpm, Height: 28yds, Carry 231yds. Not too bad eh? Oh yeah, heavy weight was in front! Also got my new 0317XGen2 17* hybrid today! 

Edited by AllyOops
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, AllyOops said:

Hey guys...Today's Trackman #'s w/ Proto X+ set at 12* HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX TX flex @ 45.5" SS: 99mph. Smash: 1.49, AoA 3.2*, Launch: 12.9*, Spin: 2629rpm, Height: 28yds, Carry 231yds. Not too bad eh? Also got my new 0317XGen2 17* hybrid today! 

Bringing some serious heat!  How did you have the weights set up?  

EC6E3964-10C5-4901-8753-69FBC6ED78AD.jpeg.5893bf96521270da5a79c7379e308d24.jpeg

OK - I got in a session with weight messing around on the X and X+.  My current setup on both (prior to this afternoon's session) is as follows: T=Toe, F=Front, B=Back, H-Heel

2.5 T, 2.5 F, 20 B, 2.5 H = 27.5g added

My session was in my back yard - I have a great mat that accepts tees and a 10 x 10 x 10 cage.  So my impressions are mainly on strike, but I can tell launch based on where it hits the back of the cage and I can tell the speed based on the rebound.  After hitting thousands of balls into the cage, I a, pretty tuned into the strike.

I will confirm these results at the Top Tracer range by me, most likely after I get the 7.5g, 12.5g, 17.5g weights.  These are the combos that I tested.

TOE - FRT - BCK- Heel= Total

2.5 - 2.5 - 20 - 2.5 = 27.5

2.5 - 5   - 15 - 2.5 = 25.0

2.5 - 2.5 - 15 - 2.5 = 22.5

5   - 10  - 5  - 5   = 25.0

5   -  5  - 10 - 5   = 25.0  Great for both (1)

5   - 2.5 - 15 - 5   = 27.5  Good for X (2)

10  - 2.5 - 5  - 10  = 27.5  Great for both (3)

5   - 5   - 15 - 5   = 30.0

5   - 5   - 20 - 5   = 35.0  Awesome feel, but got heavy after a ton of shots (4)

10  - 5   - 10 - 10  = 35.0

10  - 5   - 5  - 10  = 30.0

5   - 2.5 - 20 - 5   = 32.5  Super solid and weight was OK (5)

I do not like a heavier weight forward - for me I lose all of my ability to put the center of the face on the ball.  No clue why, but I do.  Comments on numbered configurations:

1. This was pretty solid feeling and I thought I really had something, but I continued tinkering.
  2. For some reason this one did not strike me as very good with the X+, but with the X this one felt pretty good.
  3. This one was a standout for both heads - it felt super stable and the launch condition was mid/high and solid.  Again I thought this was the winner.
  4. Then I said let's load this sucker up with a ton of weight, so I added 35g for kicks and started laughing when I felt how this worked with the X.  The face came alive and you could just feel the strike launch off the face.  A mid-high launch with a lot of power.  I then went to the X+ and it felt great on that head as well, but I could tell after 100ish swings in the session, that this was a lot of weight to swing (not that I am going to be having any rounds with 100 swings 🙂 )
  5. I dropped the front weight to 2.5g to lighten the club a bit, and this felt just as good but allowed me to swing the club a touch faster in my tired state.  I always try to see how things go when I am at the end of a session, because I do not want to set up a club so that performance drops during a round.

#5 is the current leader, but I would like to see about taking weight out to the perimeter and further refining things with the new weights.  I also want to confirm net work with ball flight at the range.  Obviously ball flight is great, but in my net I am hitting my standard Pro V1 balls versus rocks at the range

If you can swing it, I would recommend messing around with the weights and see what happens.  I do want to try and set up some fade setups with 2.5g to 5g extra in the toe to see what kind of fade bias I can put into the club since I have always been a right-to-left player

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

9 hours ago, CC Stryder said:

This is my exact approach when I play my brothers! They are longer than me, but they always implode eventually. I'm steady, in the right hand lane, and stay within my abilities. I never, ever give up either. This attitude really helps me, and does most often yield dividends.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CC Stryder said:

Bringing some serious heat!  How did you have the weights set up?  

EC6E3964-10C5-4901-8753-69FBC6ED78AD.jpeg.5893bf96521270da5a79c7379e308d24.jpeg

Love it CC! Heavy is in front. I think it feels solid there, and I hit that magic spot a lot today. I could tell by my Smash #'s I did bring some heat. That's really solid for me. I love my Proto X+!!!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ajlacombe said:

OK - I got in a session with weight messing around on the X and X+.  My current setup on both (prior to this afternoon's session) is as follows: T=Toe, F=Front, B=Back, H-Heel

My session was in my back yard - I have a great mat that accepts tees and a 10 x 10 x 10 cage.  So my impressions are mainly on strike, but I can tell launch based on where it hits the back of the cage and I can tell the speed based on the rebound.  After hitting thousands of balls into the cage, I a, pretty tuned into the strike.

I will confirm these results at the Top Tracer range by me, most likely after I get the 7.5g, 12.5g, 17.5g weights.  These are the combos that I tested.

5   - 5   - 20 - 5   = 35.0  Awesome feel, but got heavy after a ton of shots (4)

I do not like a heavier weight forward - for me I lose all of my ability to put the center of the face on the ball.  No clue why, but I do.  Comments on numbered configurations:

1. This was pretty solid feeling and I thought I really had something, but I continued tinkering.
  2. For some reason this one did not strike me as very good with the X+, but with the X this one felt pretty good.
  3. This one was a standout for both heads - it felt super stable and the launch condition was mid/high and solid.  Again I thought this was the winner.
  4. Then I said let's load this sucker up with a ton of weight, so I added 35g for kicks and started laughing when I felt how this worked with the X.  The face came alive and you could just feel the strike launch off the face.  A mid-high launch with a lot of power.  I then went to the X+ and it felt great on that head as well, but I could tell after 100ish swings in the session, that this was a lot of weight to swing (not that I am going to be having any rounds with 100 swings 🙂 )
  5. I dropped the front weight to 2.5g to lighten the club a bit, and this felt just as good but allowed me to swing the club a touch faster in my tired state.  I always try to see how things go when I am at the end of a session, because I do not want to set up a club so that performance drops during a round.

#5 is the current leader, but I would like to see about taking weight out to the perimeter and further refining things with the new weights.  I also want to confirm net work with ball flight at the range.  Obviously ball flight is great, but in my net I am hitting my standard Pro V1 balls versus rocks at the range

If you can swing it, I would recommend messing around with the weights and see what happens.  I do want to try and set up some fade setups with 2.5g to 5g extra in the toe to see what kind of fade bias I can put into the club since I have always been a right-to-left player

WOW! That's some serious research! I hit 60 balls today and I'm wiped. I kinda see how you might not like the weight being forward, but if you're hitting it in the middle, I think it feels explosive. To me the weight in the back feels too light, and it spins up too much for me. I want to try a 12.5 in front and a 5 in rear with the 2.5s in the sides. I think that would be my unicorn and rainbows LOL.

No doubt I’m ordering some more weights now.  I’m waiting until I decide what other clubs to order because it’s winter and I can’t play anyway.  Just waiting for the new bat attack to see if I want that or a blackjack to see if it can unseat my trusty Spider x.

I agree the face feels more explosive with the weight up front but my draw tends to become more hook like if I’m not careful.  I’m thinking maybe 15 in the toe and 7.5 up front then the 2.5 in the back and heel...

No doubt I’m ordering some more weights now.  I’m waiting until I decide what other clubs to order because it’s winter and I can’t play anyway.  Just waiting for the new bat attack to see if I want that or a blackjack to see if it can unseat my trusty Spider x.

I agree the face feels more explosive with the weight up front but my draw tends to become more hook like if I’m not careful.  I’m thinking maybe 15 in the toe and 7.5 up front then the 2.5 in the back and heel...

No golf because it is winter?  Oh man - I live in Southwest Ohio and we play all year. 🙂 

The problem with the up front weight is that strikes off the center of the face are penalized more and for me I want consistency.  My end game goal is to define a neutral and fade best case setups and I can choose the setup before rounds.  If the setup is defined then I can go after shots without worrying about hitting that duck hook 🙂 

I kind of knew that I could really effect the ball flight with the Proto weights, and now it looks like a range session will be the final proof with actual numbers

1 hour ago, ajlacombe said:

Wow that’s a lot of weight from 30 grams added and down on your list. If you are D4 swing weight stock, it’s has to be in the D6-7+ at 30 grams and higher at 32.5 and 35 grams respectively.  Thank you for putting the work and time in sharing your subjective thoughts. Very interesting indeed. 

PXG GEN6 0311 10.5*DRIVER/FUJI RED VELOCORE 6S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN5 0311XF 17*FAIRWAY/FUJI MOTORE X F3 7S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN3 0311XP 3 IRON/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN3 0311P 4-PW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN4 0311P GW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG SD II WEDGES/56/13&62/10/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/GP TW BLK

MACHINE M2A 1018RAW CS PUTTER/ACCRA I-STEEL/SS FLAT 1.0

I find that I am hitting longer with my PXG 0811 Gen 2 XF over my PXG Proto driver...It seem to have more forgiveness in the Gen 2 driver.

Driver - Callaway Rogue ST Max, 10.5 deg,  UST Helium 5F3, Regula

5-Wood - Cobra LTDx Max,  16.5 deg, UST Helium 5F3, Regular

Hybrid - Callaway Apex 21 - 3 Hybrid, Recoil Dart 75gm, Regular

Hybrid - Callaway Apex 21 - 4 Hybrid, Recoil Dart 75gm, Regular

Hybrid - Callaway Apex 21 - 5 Hybrid, Recoil Dart 75gm, Regular

Irons - PXG 0311 XP Gen 3 - 5 thru PW, AW, Mistubishi MMT 70, Regular

Wedges - PXG 0311 Forged, 54* and 58*

Putter - Scotty Cameron Flowback 5.5 putter, 34* shaft

Balls - Callaway Chrome Soft X balls

9 hours ago, evoviiiyou said:

Wow that’s a lot of weight from 30 grams added and down on your list. If you are D4 swing weight stock, it’s has to be in the D6-7+ at 30 grams and higher at 32.5 and 35 grams respectively.  Thank you for putting the work and time in sharing your subjective thoughts. Very interesting indeed. 

Yeah the 10g should be about 5sw points, but I have always done best with a "heavy" feeling driver, because I can not feel where the club is, and that causes an overswing.  I no longer care what I am swing, and only the how - with the result being the measuring stick for any change I make.  So, now I will just play around and see what happens.  I should try a lighter flex shaft and see what happens, but I do not want to open that can of worms 🙂 

I will see what happens on the range with ball flight, but the fact that I will be hitting balls that are nothing like what I normally play - on-course results will rule.  🙂 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CC Stryder said:

You have me thinking now. I play my + at 44.75” and added a 20 gram weight. Messed with it several rounds and found that I like it in the toe. But I do like the feel of it in the front. Might do your setup above and see. 

• Like 1

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick