PXG 0811 X+ Prototype Round 1

Lobber

^This my friend is why when its dialed and you take the time to play and experiment with loft sleeve and weights, its tough to beat by any competing product! The sheer number of adjustments separates the Proto and + heads significantly for specific needs, feels, and results. 

I couldn't agree with you more and so glad you found your way with her...going to be very nice when the temps go up. Love your high MOI weight config as well with that low spin/low torque shaft...very strong

• Like 1

PXG GEN6 0311 10.5*DRIVER/FUJI RED VELOCORE 6S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN5 0311XF 17*FAIRWAY/FUJI MOTORE X F3 7S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN3 0311XP 3 IRON/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN3 0311P 4-PW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN4 0311P GW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG SD II WEDGES/56/13&62/10/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/GP TW BLK

MACHINE M2A 1018RAW CS PUTTER/ACCRA I-STEEL/SS FLAT 1.0

On 1/29/2021 at 5:00 PM, lvphil702 said:

I played around with settings today on the Proto X+ and I seem to hit the "small +" setting the best with the weight up front now.  Nice ball flight with this.  The standard setting was good but my ball flight was a tad too low.  Extra weights coming soon so more tinkering to do.  Of course one range session is not the end all be all. As always, YMMV. 

I just tried this exact setting at the range today and the distance was amazing - a little low flight and broad dispersion. Also considering ordering weights and doing more tinkering, but was shocked by how the weight in front made such a improvement in distance.  

Are there any slicers (like me) on here making the front weight position work?

PXG 0811 Proto X+ 10.5

Ping G410 3W, 3H

Ping G15 4-W

Cleveland RTX3 50, Vokey SM5 54, SM7 58

Ping Zing 2 Putter (1997)

Srixon Q-Star Tour/Vice Pro Plus

Hmm, didn’t hit as well today as Monday.  Faded almost every drive today. Hot decently well, but everyone started dead straight and faded right.  Will try in heel but most likely a bad day.  

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

7 hours ago, Minarets said:

Hmm, didn’t hit as well today as Monday.  Faded almost every drive today. Hot decently well, but everyone started dead straight and faded right.  Will try in heel but most likely a bad day.  

This was pretty much what I was saying in my review. I would hit some pretty straight but a slight fade would creep in. I was working way too hard to keep that from happening. On my course, right is ob on most holes. So when that fade would creep in, it cost me sometimes. After I put the 10 gram weight in the heel, it solved that. If I turn it over just a tad too much, just a little hooded, it still finds the left side of the fairway. If I don’t, it’s just a straight bomb. I haven’t hit that slight cut since placing it there. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, darbster said:

I just tried this exact setting at the range today and the distance was amazing - a little low flight and broad dispersion. Also considering ordering weights and doing more tinkering, but was shocked by how the weight in front made such a improvement in distance.  

Are there any slicers (like me) on here making the front weight position work?

Not sure what swing weight you prefer, but If you order the weights you won’t regret it. Especially if you’re playing the standard weights that add up to 22.5 grams. I’ve bounced back and forth between a total of 32 and 30 grams. And for me, it’s the sweet spot. I was in awe of the length I picked up over the standard weights. And I believe you could def make the front weight work with the slice if you put some added weight in the heel. You’ll be amazed how well the weighting system works in this driver. I know I was, and still am. 

• Thanks 1

I do have 1 problem with this driver. I hit it 7 times last night and hit 4 out of 7 fairways. The 3 I missed was only a few yards out of the fairway. I was 2 under on those 7 holes. Here is the problem, if the driver is this good, how good are the fw woods? Now I’m looking at those. Anybody playing the proto woods? Are they as much as a game changer as the driver? This damn driver about to cost me more money. 😂 

2 hours ago, Aucaveman said:

This was pretty much what I was saying in my review. I would hit some pretty straight but a slight fade would creep in. I was working way too hard to keep that from happening. On my course, right is ob on most holes. So when that fade would creep in, it cost me sometimes. After I put the 10 gram weight in the heel, it solved that. If I turn it over just a tad too much, just a little hooded, it still finds the left side of the fairway. If I don’t, it’s just a straight bomb. I haven’t hit that slight cut since placing it there. 

so you have the 15g in the front and 10g in heel? 

maybe I gotta buy weights now. They way I hit the driver on Monday with stick weights and 15g in front was fantastic.  Lost 2 off to the right all day. Yesterday was more like half the drives started down the middle and faded to right side of fairway or slightly off. Only 1 got me in trouble.  I gotta straighten that out tho. 

3 minutes ago, Minarets said:

so you have the 15g in the front and 10g in heel? 

maybe I gotta buy weights now. They way I hit the driver on Monday with stick weights and 15g in front was fantastic.  Lost 2 off to the right all day. Yesterday was more like half the drives started down the middle and faded to right side of fairway or slightly off. Only 1 got me in trouble.  I gotta straighten that out tho. 

No, I have the 15 in the rear, 10 in the heel and 2.5 in front. When I put the heavy in front, I can’t even make center contact. I said I’ve used 30-32 grams total, that extra 2 grams comes from putting a 5 in the front. It lowers flight and spin just a touch. Prob negligible in all honesty. You can buy the cheap Chinese weights from the bay. I did because I couldn’t hit this driver for nothing at first and wasn’t sure I was even gonna keep it. I got a 10, 20, and two 5s delivered for less than $40. After getting the weights right, I’ve never been more impressed with any single club. I’m hitting driver off boxes I usually hit 4 iron off of. 

• Like 3

You can also buy the weights direct from PXG, 2 of your choosing for like 17 shipped. I agree, adding weight and distributing it among more smaller weights really brings it alive while the single heavy weight does more to influence flight.

I have 12.5 in the front, 7.5 in the toe, 5 in the back and 2.5 in the heel.  Sometimes I swap the 7.5 and 5 and play it in the small - flat instead of small minus normal. Putting even a little more weight in that front port ups the solid feel. 

5 hours ago, Aucaveman said:

Not sure what swing weight you prefer, but If you order the weights you won’t regret it. Especially if you’re playing the standard weights that add up to 22.5 grams. I’ve bounced back and forth between a total of 32 and 30 grams. And for me, it’s the sweet spot. I was in awe of the length I picked up over the standard weights. And I believe you could def make the front weight work with the slice if you put some added weight in the heel. You’ll be amazed how well the weighting system works in this driver. I know I was, and still am. 

Appreciate the advice!  How much weight did you put in the heel?  loved how weight in the front improved the overall feel (felt crazy light with weight in heel or back...)

PXG 0811 Proto X+ 10.5

Ping G410 3W, 3H

Ping G15 4-W

Cleveland RTX3 50, Vokey SM5 54, SM7 58

Ping Zing 2 Putter (1997)

Srixon Q-Star Tour/Vice Pro Plus

1 hour ago, darbster said:

Appreciate the advice!  How much weight did you put in the heel?  loved how weight in the front improved the overall feel (felt crazy light with weight in heel or back...)

I put 10 grams in the heel. Tried 5 originally and still had a small cut. 10 seems to work well without bringing the left side into play. 

• Like 1

Just picked up my weights. Going 10 in front, 10 in back, and 2.5 the rest. Interesting what that might do.

FYI. Picked up my Proto 3 wood too. Wow that is so good of a shape down by the ball. Geez. This looks to me money for me. Never played the Gen2. My TM M4 AD DI was really good, but was time to get a Proto.

Edited by OspreyCI
  • Like 2

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

3 hours ago, OspreyCI said:

Just picked up my weights. Going 10 in front, 10 in back, and 2.5 the rest. Interesting what that might do.

FYI. Picked up my Proto 3 wood too. Wow that is so good of a shape down by the ball. Geez. This looks to me money for me. Never played the Gen2. My TM M4 AD DI was really good, but was time to get a Proto.

How does the Proto 3 wood compare to the TM M4?

Edited by wchahn

So after a few range and Trackman sessions, I realized that my miss with the Proto X+ was a high, spinny shot that was straight but too high. After reading people's comments here, I decided to try the Proto X. With the heavy weight up front, it was too low. However, when I put the weight in back, the launch and spin were much better. At least for me, it seems just as forgiving in this set up. Might be putting the Proto X+ up in the classifieds.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, wchahn said:

How does the Proto 3 wood compare to the TM M4?

I have not hit it yet, but looks wise it is smaller and much more confidence inspiring. The sole look likes like it will be much better off the fairway too. 

• Like 1

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

So...ordered 4 weights for my Proto today to tinker with. Got a 5, 7.5, 17.5 and 20....so should have plenty of options to dial it in even better then it already is. Can’t wait. 

Even talked my buddy into buying a Proto after him seeing my driver game change the last few months. 

• Like 3

Driver:  MIZUNO ST-G 440 (9.5d) - Lin-Q Red 60s

Fwy:  MIZUNO ST-G Titanium 3w (15) - Lin-Q Red 60s

Fwy:  COBRA F6 Baffler (19) - Hzrdus Red 75/6.0
Hybrid:  COBRA F7 Hybrid (22) - Tour Blue 85s

Iron:  MIZUNO Pro 245 (5 - G) - Recoil Proto 125 F4
Wedge:  MIZUNO T24 Denim Copper (54/10) - Recoil Wedge Proto F4     
Wedge:  TAYLORMADE Hi-Toe Copper (60/10) - Recoil Wedge Proto F4

Putter:  LAJOSI DD201 Copper Flow or MANNKRAFTED MA-55 Flow
Bag:  BENNINGTON LQO-9 Stand Bag or Ogio Silencer Cart

15 hours ago, Aucaveman said:

Trying to think about what weights to get? 

I play the 15g in the front and then stock weights all around (2.5G?).

I will try the 15 in the heel next time I can.  It’s going to be cold here for a bit.  But Not sure what I should try out? 

maybe a 10 in front, 5 or 7.5 in heel, 2.5 in the others? 

what are y’all’s thoughts?

1 minute ago, jgonz69 said:

Are you guys using the same hosel sleeve when experimenting, or buying new ones?

And if new sleeve, where are you guys buying?

Thanks.

2 minutes ago, jgonz69 said:

Are you guys using the same hosel sleeve when experimenting, or buying new ones?

And if new sleeve, where are you guys buying?

Thanks.

Just changing weights on the bottom.  No sleeve 

1 hour ago, jgonz69 said:

My bad, when you are experimenting with different shafts. 

I got a few a few weeks back from PXG direct. 

PXG GEN6 0311 10.5*DRIVER/FUJI RED VELOCORE 6S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN5 0311XF 17*FAIRWAY/FUJI MOTORE X F3 7S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN3 0311XP 3 IRON/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN3 0311P 4-PW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN4 0311P GW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG SD II WEDGES/56/13&62/10/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/GP TW BLK

MACHINE M2A 1018RAW CS PUTTER/ACCRA I-STEEL/SS FLAT 1.0

I've set up a simulator in my house, and drivers are quite loud in there. I was eyeballing PXG drivers just because of forgivability of the XFg2 I read about. But then I read that the driver is downright quiet. So it is really piquing my interest now. Is it really that quiet? More of a thud then the high pitched shriek of other drivers (my buddy was hitting a Callaway, I almost threw him out of my house ... kidding).

Also, if the Proto X was louder or the same?

Anyone have insight on a 90-95mph swinger, if it is shorter then the other models? I figured the slower you get, the less disparity between longer and shorter, and the added forgiveness will make up for it? Most of my drives, with any driver, are usually in the middle of the fairway (short hitter, so dispersion if bad is still narrow lol). So distance might be more of my thing than forgiveness.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jdang307 said:

I've set up a simulator in my house, and drivers are quite loud in there. I was eyeballing PXG drivers just because of forgivability of the XFg2 I read about. But then I read that the driver is downright quiet. So it is really piquing my interest now. Is it really that quiet? More of a thud then the high pitched shriek of other drivers (my buddy was hitting a Callaway, I almost threw him out of my house ... kidding).

Anyone have insight on a 90-95mph swinger, if it is shorter then the other models? I figured the slower you get, the less disparity between longer and shorter, and the added forgiveness will make up for it? Most of my drives, with any driver, are usually in the middle of the fairway (short hitter, so dispersion if bad is still narrow lol). So distance might be more of my thing than forgiveness.

Obviously sound is very personal, but I love the sound of my X+, very much a muted thud, particularly with a heavier weight in front. 

I don't know if it is the most thuddy driver around but coming from a Ping G400 Max it was AMAZING in that regard to my ears. 

3 hours ago, jdang307 said:

It’s definitely not swinging a pillow by any means but it’s a different sound for sure, think  most drivers.  I compare it the sound of a wooden baseball (0811x) bat more than a aluminum bat (typical drivers).

Edited by Minarets
  • Like 1

I ordered the 5G and 7g weights. What was PXG’s turn around time again? 1 week to ship those (ridiculous) and then however many days to get to you? 

6 minutes ago, Minarets said:

I ordered the 5G and 7g weights. What was PXG’s turn around time again? 1 week to ship those (ridiculous) and then however many days to get to you? 

I picked mine up two days after ordering. Just lucky enough to live near by.My Proto 3 wood only took 3 days and it as ready too.

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

I was originally fit into the X+ head and had some good rounds with it, but always practice with a radar unit and could tell it wasn’t that well optimized any more as my swing had become more neutral and felt it was slow high in the face. I went ahead and bought an X head a few weeks ago and have been practicing with it. A few observations I have that seem to differ from what PXG states about the heads. The X head is more fade biased and lower spinning by 400 or so RPM’s. I find high in the face shots not nearly as punished on the X and low shots also yielding better results due to decrease spin. I in general don’t stray too much toe and heel, but would assume the X+ would be better out of the tow due to spin retention and the X would be better heel side. Average swing speed is around 117 with fairly neutral path (around 2 degrees in to out), if it matters.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Minarets said:

I ordered four weights about 3 weeks ago, I live in Oklahoma, and it took almost 2 weeks to get them. I ordered them online on a Sunday evening, and they didn't ship out till that Friday! To me, that's insane. That is something that should ship out within 1-2 days top!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 4cowboys said:

I ordered four weights about 3 weeks ago, I live in Oklahoma, and it took almost 2 weeks to get them. I ordered them online on a Sunday evening, and they didn't ship out till that Friday! To me, that's insane. That is something that should ship out within 1-2 days top!

Agreed.  No matter how busy you are building clubs, to take two widgets off a shelve or in a drawer and drop them in an envelope and put a shipping label should be rather easy.  Instead of weeding out easy orders they must not even been looking at stuff as it comes in. It probably wasn’t looked at until the day it shipped.  

Edited by Minarets
  • Like 1