PXG 0811 X+ Prototype Round 1

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is not good...They just opened the newest PXG Store here in Mesa, AZ. 7 miles from my house. Scheduling a fitting to dial in my Proto driver (maybe a new shaft) and try out the Proto Hybrids. 

It’s official germs and gents after the last several weeks of testing on course and driving range, the Proto+ is the 21 gamer. It had a tough time with the SIM2MAX but performed much more consistently

Current setup is proto x with Accra tz5 55 m4. Swingspeed is around 105. Always been a right to left player. I’ve waited a while to do a review because I thought about changing the shaft out because h

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, evoviiiyou said:

My best friend plays his driver at D7 on my scale and it feels like a sledge hammer to me. For him he flushes it as it fits his tempo and swing speed

Is his a fast tempo? I think that's what my tempo is like, and I'm wondering if a heavier weight will bring in the dispersion

4 minutes ago, tcbringhurst said:

45", HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 6.5 60g. Got 2x2.5, 7.5, and 12.5 installed.

The Smoke Yellow is a little counterbalanced is why you are lower on swing weight. Overall mass is actually more than standard for the head. If you are hitting it well I wouldn’t add more mass. Your weights are actually exactly what I have in mine with an AD TP and I am at D4.5.

Edited by bward
  • Like 2
3 hours ago, tcbringhurst said:

Is his a fast tempo? I think that's what my tempo is like, and I'm wondering if a heavier weight will bring in the dispersion

Yes he is 120plus SS with driver and very aggressive through the ball. I am 110 SS with driver and I can’t get the launch right with his sledgehammer...so ball is all over the face. Probably doesn’t help I’m standard or midsize grip and he is over size with lots of tape. 

• Like 1

On 2/19/2021 at 7:16 PM, lvphil702 said:

One 15g weight and three 2.5g weights. 

This. 

I play mine at 44.75” AD TP and 20 gram in the toe and the rest at 2.5.

Awesome driving round this morning with it. 70% fwy hit and hit a few very long drives for me. The tip my fitter gave me in my fitting Thursday helped a lot. Shot out to Tyler at PXG Mesa store. 

Getting ahold of him now to order my Proto 5 wood. Proto 3 wood is insanely good for me. 

Edited by OspreyCI
  • Like 1

PXG 0811X Gen4 Diamana S+ 60S
PXG 0341x Proto 3 and 5 wood Diamana S+ 70S
PXG 0311 Gen3 P 4-GW Elevate Tour S
PXG 0311 Forged 54*/Camo 60* Elevate Tour S 
PXG Gen2 Gunboat

Bridgestone BX

7 minutes ago, OspreyCI said:

This. 

I play mine at 44.75” AD TP and 20 gram in the toe and the rest at 2.5.

Awesome driving round this morning with it. 70% fwy hit and hit a few very long drives for me. The tip my fitter gave me in my fitting Thursday helped a lot. Shot out to Tyler at PXG Mesa store. 

Getting ahold of him now to order my Proto 5 wood. Proto 3 wood is insanely good for me. 

You compare the 5w to a proto hybrid by chance? If so what led you to the 5w over the hybrid?

12 minutes ago, KParks said:

You compare the 5w to a proto hybrid by chance? If so what led you to the 5w over the hybrid?

Yes I can. Went to go get for the Proto hybrid. Had the Gen2 and just could not hit it. Tried numerous shaft in the Proto H and just never felt comfortable. He handed me a 5 wood I said no way, I have hit a 5 wood in 20 years. I straight smoked it nice and high. It was crazy. Problem is gapping because I need a 215 to 220 club and it was going around 230 off the deck. Hit my Proto 3 wood about 240 to 250 off the deck. Hit my Proto driver about 270 with a couple this morning about 280. Measured all with GPS.

Just spoke to him 5 minutes ago about the 0211 5 wood and he is bringing me back in for a quick check before I pull the trigger. He said the 0211 will not be as hot as the Proto 5 wood. I think that will fit perfect. Plus the 0211 should launch higher the way the weighting is.

Their customer service is top notch. 

• Like 3

PXG Gen2 Gunboat

Bridgestone BX

I currently have mine set up with a 

rear - 15

heel - 10

toe- 2.5

front- 2.5

That’s 30 grams even. I’ve played it as heavy as 32.5. For me, this is about the sweet spot. I tried over that weight and it gets heavy toward the end of the round. A 60+ year old man hit mine today and said it felt great. I asked if it felt heavy and he said it didn’t. So 🤷‍♂️ 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, OspreyCI said:

Yes I can. Went to go get for the Proto hybrid. Had the Gen2 and just could not hit it. Tried numerous shaft in the Proto H and just never felt comfortable. He handed me a 5 wood I said no way, I have hit a 5 wood in 20 years. I straight smoked it nice and high. It was crazy. Problem is gapping because I need a 215 to 220 club and it was going around 230 off the deck. Hit my Proto 3 wood about 240 to 250 off the deck. Hit my Proto driver about 270 with a couple this morning about 280. Measured all with GPS.

Just spoke to him 5 minutes ago about the 0211 5 wood and he is bringing me back in for a quick check before I pull the trigger. He said the 0211 will not be as hot as the Proto 5 wood. I think that will fit perfect. Plus the 0211 should launch higher the way the weighting is.

Their customer service is top notch. 

Turned the 9 to 10.5 and the heavy weight in the rear, bingo, now I’m sold! Just took a little time to get it right! 

• Like 2

PXG Proto 0811X 9 w/ Graphite Design MJ 6

Ping G425 14.5 w/ Fujikura Ventus Blue 7

Callaway Epic Flash 18 w/ Fujikura Ventus Blue 8

Titleist 816 H2 21 w/ Fujikura Atmos Red 8

PXG Darkness 0311P 5-GW w/ Nippon NS Pro 950 

Titleist Vokey Raw SM7 Custom 54/60 M grinds w/ KBS $ Taper 125

Scotty Cameron NP2 SSS Timeless 34/350G

2 minutes ago, SM8 said:

I currently play the Gen2 3 wood.

Any thoughts on how the Proto 3wood compares

I have not owned a Gen2 3 wood, but I know the Proto is more efficient off the face by reading, researching, and talking with PXG fitters. I owned a Gen2 driver and hybrid and WAY prefer the feel off the face of the Proto 3 wood. If Gen4 drivers feel like the Proto 3 wood, I will buy one immediately. 

I do know from two rounds that the Proto 3 wood is VERY long. Much longer than my TM M4 I had, and that 3 wood has always been know to be long. The face is hot in the Proto fairway. Too hot for me to get a 5 wood, probably going with an 0211 5 wood to being down the yardage. 

I will add that the Proto 3 wood is very forgiving too. I miss hit it twice today and I felt as it it still got out there. Huge fan of it. 

• Like 1

PXG Gen2 Gunboat

Bridgestone BX

13 minutes ago, OspreyCI said:

I have not owned a Gen2 3 wood, but I know the Proto is more efficient off the face by reading, researching, and talking with PXG fitters. I owned a Gen2 driver and hybrid and WAY prefer the feel off the face of the Proto 3 wood. If Gen4 drivers feel like the Proto 3 wood, I will buy one immediately. 

I do know from two rounds that the Proto 3 wood is VERY long. Much longer than my TM M4 I had, and that 3 wood has always been know to be long. The face is hot in the Proto fairway. Too hot for me to get a 5 wood, probably going with an 0211 5 wood to being down the yardage. 

I will add that the Proto 3 wood is very forgiving too. I miss hit it twice today and I felt as it it still got out there. Huge fan of it. 

Thanks, you may have just cost me 3bills.  I really like my Gen 2, but Like the new weight system of the Proto

• Haha 1
27 minutes ago, SM8 said:

Thanks, you may have just cost me 3bills.  I really like my Gen 2, but Like the new weight system of the Proto

You will not be disappointed in the Proto fairway. Sole and face is better without playing a Gen2. Not sure I am allowed to say that, but I think I may be correct. Call a PXG fitter and they will just talk to you about it at no cost. They are the best. 

One PXG fitter even asked me to call him back about my PXG putter setup. Lol

PXG Gen2 Gunboat

Bridgestone BX

12 minutes ago, OspreyCI said:

You will not be disappointed in the Proto fairway. Sole and face is better without playing a Gen2. Not sure I am allowed to say that, but I think I may be correct. Call a PXG fitter and they will just talk to you about it at no cost. They are the best. 

One PXG fitter even asked me to call him back about my PXG putter setup. Lol

Hey Osprey, not sure if I’ve asked you this before...you have another 3 wood to sit next to the Proto to get a size comparison?  I’m looking for a 3 wood mostly for off the tee, but don’t want a small head. 

DriverPXG Gen4 0811x (10.5) / Project X Hzrdus Smoke Green Small Batch PVD 60 (6.0)
Fairway:  Taylormade Sim Max Rocket (14) / Aldila Tour Blue 65 (stiff)

Fairway: Cobra F6 Baffler (17.5) / Hzrdus Red 75 (6.0)

Hybrid:  Cobra F7 3-4 (20.5) / Aldila Tour Blue 85 (stiff)
Irons:  Mizuno 921 Hot Metal (5-Gw) / Project X LZ 6.0 Black
Wedge:  Cleveland RTX Zipcore Raw (54/12) / Nippon Modus 125w
Wedge:  TM Hi-Toe (60/10) / KBS Hi Rev 2.0

Putter:  Mannkrafted MA/55 (Custom)
Bag:  Bennington LQO-9

20 minutes ago, eddiebigeddie said:

Hey Osprey, not sure if I’ve asked you this before...you have another 3 wood to sit next to the Proto to get a size comparison?  I’m looking for a 3 wood mostly for off the tee, but don’t want a small head. 

Sorry man. Did not take a photo, but the Proto is a hair bigger than Gen2 and the 0211 is bigger than both. Going back in for a second fitting for an 0211 5 wood and I will take some pics. They don’t have any Gen2 there, but I don’t think you care about that small head. With the gutter in the phone saying the 0211 is not as hit as the the Proto, I think you need the Proto. It’s a cannon off the deck. 

I keep meaning to try the Proto 3 wood off the tee because I think it would be a beast. The Proto driver is just too consistent off the tee for me to try the 3 wood is the only reason I forgot to try it. 

• Like 1

PXG Gen2 Gunboat

Bridgestone BX

There’s just a few holes at home course where I can’t hit driver otherwise fly over greens and have a bad downhill shot to small green that you can’t hold and of course just some versatility off tee when need it. 

DriverPXG Gen4 0811x (10.5) / Project X Hzrdus Smoke Green Small Batch PVD 60 (6.0)

Ask Pxg to tell you head size in cc’s...we need that not the head weight. 

30 minutes ago, eddiebigeddie said:

Ask Pxg to tell you head size in cc’s...we need that not the head weight. 

I’ll ask. 

PXG Gen2 Gunboat

Bridgestone BX

1 hour ago, OspreyCI said:

I’ll ask. 

The thing I want to hear about is the trade-in program my fitter mentioned a while back - I am interested for a friend 🙂 

• Haha 1

PXG Gen 4 0811X 10.5º, GD Tour AD TP

PXG 0341x Proto 15º  & 18º, Oban Kiyoshi Gold - Evenflow Riptide CB

PXG 0317x Gen4 22º  4h, Tensei CK Pro Blue 

PXG 0311P Gen3 5-W, Elevate 95 

PXG 0311 Forged wedges - 50º, 54º, 58º, Elevate Tour

PXG Gen2 Mini Gunboat, Blackjack. One & Done

Lots of Bench Warmers 🤣

Wonder why [email protected]!£$?¥ driver test didn’t test the proto. Only the 0211 and Gen 4.  Guess they had enough PXG drivers.  

my weights come tomorrow.  Hope to test this week.  May try and ultra light setup. 7.5 in the front, 5 in heel and 2.5 in back and top.  Hmmm

Driver: PXG 0811x 9* Fujikura Speeder 661 Evolution IV 
Irons: Mizuno 921 Forged 4-PW, Recoils 95 F4*
Hybrids: PXG 0317X 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: Ping Vault 2.0 Ketcsh (solid black)  
Bag: Mizuno K1-LO white/staff blue (something new is coming, cant decide.)
Ball: Titleist Pro V1, Snell MTB-X, Maxfli Tour

I had a PXG credit due to price drops on the Gen 3 irons I bought recently and used it on an X+.

It arrived a couple of days ago and I've had a couple of range sessions with it.

Overall performance seems very good, if not quite as good as my fitted Mavrik.

But I was rather surprised at the sound.

I was expecting the lovely muted thud I got from the 0811XF driver I used to have. But the X+ was quite a bit louder and more 'metallic'. 

Not Ping G410 loudness. But I was certainly not expecting to prefer the sound/feel of the Mavrik.

Anyone else find this?

Mavrik Ventus Velocore
Cobra F6 Baffler

Ping G410/Epic Flash Hybrids
Cobra Forged Tec Copper Irons
Cleveland CBX2 wedges
PXG One and Done

2 hours ago, sfdoddsy said:

I had a PXG credit due to price drops on the Gen 3 irons I bought recently and used it on an X+.

It arrived a couple of days ago and I've had a couple of range sessions with it.

I was expecting the lovely muted thud I got from the 0811XF driver I used to have. But the X+ was quite a bit louder and more 'metallic'. 

Not Ping G410 loudness. But I was certainly not expecting to prefer the sound/feel of the Mavrik.

Anyone else find this?

Have not hit a Mavrik but had the epic flash sub zero before my Proto X and I hated the callaway sound.   

Driver: PXG 0811x 9* Fujikura Speeder 661 Evolution IV 
Irons: Mizuno 921 Forged 4-PW, Recoils 95 F4*
Hybrids: PXG 0317X 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: Ping Vault 2.0 Ketcsh (solid black)  
Bag: Mizuno K1-LO white/staff blue (something new is coming, cant decide.)
Ball: Titleist Pro V1, Snell MTB-X, Maxfli Tour

3 hours ago, sfdoddsy said:

Anyone else find this?

What shaft do you have in it? when I first got my Proto it had the HZRDUS smoke yellow in it and I had the same sound, then I switched out shafts to a non CB shaft and it went away. 

8 hours ago, sfdoddsy said:

Anyone else find this?

My experience was that moving the weights around makes a pretty substantial impact on the sound of the X+. By default I think it comes with the heavy weight in the back and light weight forward but when you flip them it really deadens the sound to be much more "thuddy". 

9 minutes ago, KParks said:

My experience was that moving the weights around makes a pretty substantial impact on the sound of the X+. By default I think it comes with the heavy weight in the back and light weight forward but when you flip them it really deadens the sound to be much more "thuddy". 

This was my experience as well and also, the sound on the range is dramatically different than on the tee.  on the range, I get that wooden bat 'thunk' - especially on mis-hits... But, a tee shot on the button has a crisp ping that sounds great to my ear... 

PXG 0811 Proto X+ 10.5

Ping G410 3W, 3H

Ping G15 4-W

Cleveland RTX3 50, Vokey SM5 54, SM7 58

Ping Zing 2 Putter (1997)

Srixon Q-Star Tour/Vice Pro Plus

I can’t find anywhere on WRX that mentions the hybrid but OMG the Proto hybrid is gorgeous! Love how it sits behind the ball and it’s quite foegiving

easy to launch yet very penetrating flight. 17* gave me launch between 10-11 with Max height of 85ft. Got this over 150 ball speed consistently. To compare my 3 driving irons at the same loft top out around 148

4A20D154-9F0D-434C-A40F-3A879D64B183.jpeg

• Like 1

PXG Gen4 0811x 7.5*.... Tensei Pro Orange 60tx

TM 300 Mini 13.5*.... Ventus Black 7x

PXG Gen4 0317 2h 18* hybrid.... Ventus Blue 9x or New Level NLU-01 18*... Ventus Black 10tx

PXG Gen2 Utility 22*.... Accra iSteel 125

New Level PF-1 Black 5-P ... Accra iSteel 125

Corey Paul wedges 52 , 56 , 60 ... KBS $-Taper 125 S+

2021 Scotty Phantom x5.5 w/ Stability Tour Black

17 minutes ago, JoeFrigo said:

I can’t find anywhere on WRX that mentions the hybrid but OMG the Proto hybrid is gorgeous! Love how it sits behind the ball and it’s quite foegiving

easy to launch yet very penetrating flight. 17* gave me launch between 10-11 with Max height of 85ft. Got this over 150 ball speed consistently. To compare my 3 driving irons at the same loft top out around 148

4A20D154-9F0D-434C-A40F-3A879D64B183.jpeg

Proto lineup is so good. Have you tried the Proto fairway? I was fit for the 3 wood and 5 wood. Love them! 

• Like 1

PXG Gen2 Gunboat

Bridgestone BX

34 minutes ago, OspreyCI said:

Proto lineup is so good. Have you tried the Proto fairway? I was fit for the 3 wood and 5 wood. Love them! 

I NEED to get one .. I ordered the 0211 3w the day it released bc I didn’t know more Proto stuff was coming out. 0211 is pretty disappointing IMO

PXG Gen4 0811x 7.5*.... Tensei Pro Orange 60tx

TM 300 Mini 13.5*.... Ventus Black 7x

PXG Gen4 0317 2h 18* hybrid.... Ventus Blue 9x or New Level NLU-01 18*... Ventus Black 10tx

PXG Gen2 Utility 22*.... Accra iSteel 125

New Level PF-1 Black 5-P ... Accra iSteel 125

Corey Paul wedges 52 , 56 , 60 ... KBS $-Taper 125 S+

2021 Scotty Phantom x5.5 w/ Stability Tour Black