Good exercises at the gym for more distance?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In general, avoid getting old.

Sure looks like basic powerlifting moves to me...    Ryan Steenberg (@golffreakfitness) • Instagram photos and videos Ryan Steenberg (@golffreakfitness) • Instagram photos and videos

i just started doing box jumps again today. pretty sure they're good for explosive power which can translate to more distance with the golf swing. and now that my belly is bigger than ever i'm optimis

What is this "gym" thing you speak of?

• Haha 1

Cobra RAD Speed 9* : Ventus Blue 6-S

Cobra RAD Speed 3W : Graphite Design AD TP8-S

Cobra ForgedTec 3-iron : Ventus Blue HB 8-S

Srixon Z785 4-PW : Nippon Modus3 120-S

Cleveland RTX3 50, 54: Nippon 115-S Wedge

Cobra MIM Black 58 : Nippon 125-S Wedge

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

Anything that is explosive. Jump squats, long jump, plyometric exercises. Med ball slams, or tosses, core work.

then general over all strength training and general strength.

if you want to be fast, train for speed and explosion. Slow exercises will just make you slower.

Driver: Titleist TSi3 Ventus blue 6x

3 wood: Titleist Tsi2 15 Ventus blue 7x

& Wood: Titleist TSi2 Ventus Red 9X
Taylormade Gapr low 2 ventus blue 9x
4-PW Cobra king forged CB KBS $ Taper 130 X flex
Wedges 50, 54, 60 Cleveland ZIPCORE
PUTTER; LAB DF2.1
BALL; Bridgestone BX, OR Taylomade TP5x PIX

Check out the Drive 400 program (I think that is what it is called). For like $25 this guy gives you a very well developed workout routine specifically designed for speed in golf. He was a former baseball player now a trainer or something like that.

I did it last year and was hitting distances I had never seen before. I had multiple guys comment on my increase in distance over the season.

It takes about a month or so to start seeing real benefits, and if I remember right some other guys on here basically said you could do it early in the season and it would last through to the Fall, then you could pick it back up again in the Spring to get ready for the next season...something like that. It combines a lot of mobility, strength, and speed exercises. You’ll also want to purchase a foam roller and a lacrosse ball with it to do all of the exercises. It helped my back tremendously, and again added some noticeable distance gains.

I need to start it again this year, but I had spinal fusion surgery back in January and I’m trying to take things easy as much as I can. I’ve also started the George Gankas program and that has added a lot of distance also, so I’m not feeling the need for more distance so much at the moment. But I liked the Drive 400 thing for more than just the distance gains, so I need to start it back again this year. By June or July I should be bombing it again!

• 6 months later...

I've read, that the predominant movement in preparation for golf should be abducted - work shoulder and wrist joints, trunk movements, and movements in the hip and ankle joints. Swimming is comfortable for me, it will develop all these joints and put special emphasis on the hands. I also do the usual set of flexibility workouts. All this helps me to develop endurance in the playing, because when I played the first time and walked about 7-8 km during the round, I was very tired and my body ached the next day. I have no idea how professional golfers play so often, but friends say that they take Cardarine. In any case, I see results from my golf training, and I am very happy about it.

Edited by Daiman
want to add
On 5/26/2020 at 8:26 PM, QuigleyDU said:

Anything that is explosive. Jump squats, long jump, plyometric exercises. Med ball slams, or tosses, core work.

then general over all strength training and general strength.

if you want to be fast, train for speed and explosion. Slow exercises will just make you slower.

I agree with most of this except the last part.  It is imperative to activate fast twitch fibers for any explosive and ballistic movement like golf, however, "slow" exercises such as squats, deads, bench, etc. are also important to do.  I have all my clients do a combo of strength training, speed training/explosive movements and stretching/yoga.  Balance work on the medicine ball and bosu ball are important as well.  You can't hit the sweet spot consistently with poor balance.   

• Like 2

TM SIM 2, 8* w/Ventus Black 7x

TM SIM 15* w/Ventus Blue 8x

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto TP 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

New Level NLU-01 21* w/KBS Proto 105x

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

11 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

I agree with most of this except the last part.  It is imperative to activate fast twitch fibers for any explosive and ballistic movement like golf, however, "slow" exercises such as squats, deads, bench, etc. are also important to do.  I have all my clients do a combo of strength training, speed training/explosive movements and stretching/yoga.  Balance work on the medicine ball and bosu ball are important as well.  You can't hit the sweet spot consistently with poor balance.   

Of course. There are strength, stability, and power exercises and they are not necessarily the same. And I love yoga. 

Edited by QuigleyDU
  • Like 1

Driver: Titleist TSi3 Ventus blue 6x

3 wood: Titleist Tsi2 15 Ventus blue 7x

& Wood: Titleist TSi2 Ventus Red 9X
Taylormade Gapr low 2 ventus blue 9x
4-PW Cobra king forged CB KBS $ Taper 130 X flex
Wedges 50, 54, 60 Cleveland ZIPCORE
PUTTER; LAB DF2.1
BALL; Bridgestone BX, OR Taylomade TP5x PIX

Apart from Zuback, I don’t know too many long drive guys who had notable recorded power lifts. If squatting or deadlifting helps your golf, it’s incredibly marginal.

Im getting more into calisthenic/plyometric type exercises. Mobility is critical as well.

heres one I’m trying that I think has potential: lie on your back, lift your straight legs as close to degrees as possible, then rotate your legs to the ground on either side. Slow and controlled, with a little more speed when it gets easier.

apart from that, swing something heavy as well. Faldo reckoned he swung a pick axe a lot 

Plyometrics using an angled rebounder and light medicine balls( 10lbs and under)

Tornado(medicine ball on a rope) ballistic slams against a concrete wall.

The purpose of both is to develop explosive power , not strength per se.

These exercises require an underlying level of fitness before attempting them. 

1 hour ago, milesgiles said:

Apart from Zuback, I don’t know too many long drive guys who had notable recorded power lifts. If squatting or deadlifting helps your golf, it’s incredibly marginal.

Im getting more into calisthenic/plyometric type exercises. Mobility is critical as well.

heres one I’m trying that I think has potential: lie on your back, lift your straight legs as close to degrees as possible, then rotate your legs to the ground on either side. Slow and controlled, with a little more speed when it gets easier.

apart from that, swing something heavy as well. Faldo reckoned he swung a pick axe a lot 

Have you seen Ryan Steenberg?  The guy used to play college football and is a pretty strong dude.  Many of the WLD guys are pretty strong in their own right and they all strength train.  Not saying strength training is the end all for distance.  Don't get me wrong, plyometrics are awesome and I add them to my routine but I believe adding all components of strength, flexibility, speed and stability training are vital to increasing distance off the tee. 

Edited by phizzy30

35 minutes ago, getitdaily said:

Hip thrusters. Lots of hip thrusters. The faster the rep, the better.

Those are part of my routine.  I do them 3x a week using cables, light kettle bells and resistance bands.  I believe it activates the fast twitch fibers in the core area and hips which ultimately help increase swing speed. 

9 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

Those are part of my routine.  I do them 3x a week using cables, light kettle bells and resistance bands.  I believe it activates the fast twitch fibers in the core area and hips which ultimately help increase swing speed. 

Do you do them like ace Ventura? 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gu5JdmsLWVk

21 minutes ago, getitdaily said:

Do you do them like ace Ventura? 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gu5JdmsLWVk

I'm not touching that one.  Could lead to a temp ban for me..........🤣

2 minutes ago, getitdaily said:

It's ok phizzy. We all look at you like this now...

Sorry bro, I don't swing that way. 

1 hour ago, phizzy30 said:

Have you seen Ryan Steenberg?  The guy used to play college football and is a pretty strong dude.  Many of the WLD guys are pretty strong in their own right and they all strength train.  Not saying strength training is the end all for distance.  Don't get me wrong, plyometrics are awesome and I add them to my routine but I believe adding all components of strength, flexibility, speed and stability training are vital to increasing distance off the tee. 

I don’t think anything past gym rat static strength is going to add distance and could well have the opposite effect.

assuming good technique it’s about moving quickly through a full range of motion. Something I need to do a lot more of 

5 hours ago, flipmode said:

You mentioned the drive 400 program was $25 but the site says $49. Is there a promo code?

I think the price has now been increased to $49. Rob was getting so many WRXers telling him that $25 was so cheap for what he gives you, that I’m guessing he decided it was worth a little more than where he had originally priced it. He posts on here every so often...Harob11 I think. You could message him maybe. Super nice guy it seems. I’ve been so busy with work etc lately that I never really got back on the program this year. I should jump back into it now to get ready for next season I guess. My Gankas swing, when I get it right, is giving me a good 15 yards with driver. It would be interesting to see if Drive400 would be incremental to this next year.