Good exercises at the gym for more distance?

14 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

Have you seen Ryan Steenberg?  The guy used to play college football and is a pretty strong dude.  Many of the WLD guys are pretty strong in their own right and they all strength train.  Not saying strength training is the end all for distance.  Don't get me wrong, plyometrics are awesome and I add them to my routine but I believe adding all components of strength, flexibility, speed and stability training are vital to increasing distance off the tee. 

I’ve just checked him out - tbf there’s little or no powerlifting in his training going on. And I’m sure he’s not claiming to be a powerlifter either. 

2 minutes ago, hammersia said:

I’ve just checked him out - tbf there’s little or no powerlifting in his training going on. And I’m sure he’s not claiming to be a powerlifter either. 

Strength training.  I never once mentioned in my previous post the words power lifting.  He has a back round in football more specifically former line backer.  His training now is based more on flexibility and explosive movements, but he still has elements of strength training. 

• Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

29 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

Strength training.  I never once mentioned in my previous post the words power lifting.  He has a back round in football more specifically former line backer.  His training now is based more on flexibility and explosive movements, but he still has elements of strength training. 

Er, yes you did, page 1:

“however, "slow" exercises such as squats, deads, bench, etc. are also important to do”

2 hours ago, hammersia said:

Er, yes you did, page 1:

“however, "slow" exercises such as squats, deads, bench, etc. are also important to do”

Sigh.  You proved my point again.  Nowhere in that post is there the word "power lifting".

• Like 1

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

18 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

Sigh.  You proved my point again.  Nowhere in that post is there the word "power lifting".

Oxford English Dictionary definition:

“powerlifting
/ˈpʌʊəlɪftɪŋ/

noun
  1. a form of competitive weightlifting in which contestants attempt three types of lift in a set sequence.”

And then Wikipedia:

“Powerlifting is a strength sport that consists of three attempts at maximal weight on three lifts: squat, bench press, and deadlift.”

Sigh indeed.....

19 minutes ago, hammersia said:

“powerlifting
/ˈpʌʊəlɪftɪŋ/

noun
  1. a form of competitive weightlifting in which contestants attempt three types of lift in a set sequence.”

And then Wikipedia:

“Powerlifting is a strength sport that consists of three attempts at maximal weight on three lifts: squat, bench press, and deadlift.”

Sigh indeed.....

Never once did I mention one rep max sets.  Also the big 3 compound lifts I mentioned before aren't exclusive to power lifting.  Pro athletes and bodybuilders all include those types of exercises in their training programs.  Ok, I'm done here........

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, hammersia said:

“powerlifting
/ˈpʌʊəlɪftɪŋ/

noun

And then Wikipedia:

Sigh indeed.....

18 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

Never once did I mention one rep max sets.  Also the big 3 compound lifts I mentioned before aren't exclusive to power lifting.  Pro athletes and bodybuilders all include those types of exercises in their training programs.  Ok, I'm done here........

If you’re insisting anyone who does a squat, bench or deadlift is a powerlifter there is a serious misunderstanding of what powerlifting actually is compared to general strength training. Powerlifting is a sport in and of itself. Like Phizzy said, there’s a big difference between strength training, for general strength or athletic strength, and training for maximal one rep attempts. 

• Like 2

Stealth Plus+ 10.5* || Ventus Blue TR 7x

SIM2 Rescue 17* || Ventus Blue HB 8x

X-Forged UT 18* || MMT UT 105tx

TSi2 21* || Ventus Black HB 10tx

T100/620MB 5-9 || DG X7

SM9 47 || DG X7

SM9 51, 55, 59 || DG X1

BB8 Tri Wiz Cu Insert || BGT Stability Tour

Bettinardi BKS #1

1 hour ago, phizzy30 said:

Please just take the loss, learn and move on and stop trolling.

You said you have your clients do the three basic powerlifting moves.

You then said check out Ryan Steenburgen as an example of someone who strength trains.

According to his Insta, Ryan doesn’t do any of the basic powerlifting moves, either one rep or multiple reps.  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, hammersia said:

You then said check out Ryan Steenburgen as an example of someone who strength trains.

According to his Insta, Ryan doesn’t do any of the basic powerlifting moves, either one rep or multiple reps.  

"Tis better to not say anything at all, then to open thy mouth and remove all doubt."  😉

Have a good day my friend. 

1 hour ago, hammersia said:

Sure looks like basic powerlifting moves to me... 

Ryan Steenberg (@golffreakfitness) • Instagram photos and videos

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

38 minutes ago, PureStrikes54 said:

Oh do come along, in order, in relation to POWERLIFTING:

1) Off blocks, eg rack pulls, NOT a deadlift

2) Trap bar, NOT a deadlift

3) Front squat, NOT a squat

4) It’s a picture of a bar, what am I supposed to be looking it?
5) Power cleans, NOT a deadlift

6) Good grief, he’s squatting ! Oh it was six years ago.

I know we get this sort of thread every two months, but the challenge to you all remains the same - show me any golfer, including long drivers, who train bench, squat and deadlift heavy with good form. Never seen it. 

2 hours ago, hammersia said:

Oh do come along, in order, in relation to POWERLIFTING:

1) Off blocks, eg rack pulls, NOT a deadlift

2) Trap bar, NOT a deadlift

3) Front squat, NOT a squat

4) It’s a picture of a bar, what am I supposed to be looking it?
5) Power cleans, NOT a deadlift

6) Good grief, he’s squatting ! Oh it was six years ago.

I know we get this sort of thread every two months, but the challenge to you all remains the same - show me any golfer, including long drivers, who train bench, squat and deadlift heavy with good form. Never seen it. 

Got it...a word semantics game...

Joe Miller was training all of those lifts with good form. 

JOE MILLER - Golf News

How much time do you spend in the gym and what do you work on?
I’m in Norton’s gym at Welwyn Garden City seven days a week and my nutrition is on point seven days a week, 24 hours a day. I don’t do too much golf-specific training, I just focus on the major muscle groups – legs, shoulders, arms abs. I can bench press 200kg and squat lift around 260-280kg. I generally do about 90 minutes of weights a day.

Joe's Gym: Back Workout | Joe Miller - YouTube Deadlift 2:36 in

Joe Miller LDC - 😡this is how you get that face 😡⠀ ⠀ 4... (facebook.com)

Published major magazine writer referring to powerlifting training and the lifts Jason Day was completing including trap-bar deadlifts.

Golfer Jason Day Talks Training, Working Out, the Presidents Cup, and Nutrition (mensjournal.com)

How Jason Day’s Powerlifting Training Prepared Him to Dominate the Presidents Cup

“I started out the year in quite good shape, but my upper body was almost too big,” Day said. “For golf you can’t have a big upper body and a small lower one. You’ve got to have big strong legs and a strong core. I do a lot of squats, do a lot trap-bar deadlifts, and a lot of sumo deadlifts. You can’t get too big. I started losing power when I got too big in the upper body, but now I’m on top of it.”

Edited by PureStrikes54
  • Like 1

I almost wrote not to give Joe Miller as an example, there’s been previous threads on him and yes I’m familiar with the article and the linked youtube -

That video shows one terrible form deadlift with 180kg, nothing else. No way he could ever squat 260 and bench 200, that’s laughable. You’ve got to remember it’s almost impossible to get powerlifting coaching in the UK.

I am not taking anything away from him, he is a great long driver. He is not someone who spends much time benching, squatting and deadlifting. 

Jason Day is tiny by comparison obviously, and he only mentions squats, of which there are predictably no videos. 

6 hours ago, MPAndreassi said:

If you’re insisting anyone who does a squat, bench or deadlift is a powerlifter there is a serious misunderstanding of what powerlifting actually is compared to general strength training. Powerlifting is a sport in and of itself. Like Phizzy said, there’s a big difference between strength training, for general strength or athletic strength, and training for maximal one rep attempts. 

Please take that up with the Oxford English Dictionary and Wikipedia. I can only quote sources, if their definitions are wrong please share your wisdom with them.

21 minutes ago, hammersia said:

Please take that up with the Oxford English Dictionary and Wikipedia. I can only quote sources, if their definitions are wrong please share your wisdom with them.

This has nothing to do with my “wisdom” but more of the ignorance you’re exhibiting from post to post on the topic. 

It is far from impossible to get powerlifting coaching in the UK, that’s just a blatant lie. One of the worlds biggest equipment suppliers is based there. There are a ton of very talented lifters and qualified coaches from the UK. Now being good enough or having enough to potential to get into a good coaches roster may be a different story, that could hinder your chances. 

• Like 2

Stealth Plus+ 10.5* || Ventus Blue TR 7x

SIM2 Rescue 17* || Ventus Blue HB 8x

X-Forged UT 18* || MMT UT 105tx

TSi2 21* || Ventus Black HB 10tx

T100/620MB 5-9 || DG X7

SM9 47 || DG X7

SM9 51, 55, 59 || DG X1

BB8 Tri Wiz Cu Insert || BGT Stability Tour

Bettinardi BKS #1

13 minutes ago, MPAndreassi said:

This has nothing to do with my “wisdom” but more of the ignorance you’re exhibiting from post to post on the topic. 

It is far from impossible to get powerlifting coaching in the UK, that’s just a blatant lie. One of the worlds biggest equipment suppliers is based there. There are a ton of very talented lifters and qualified coaches from the UK. Now being good enough or having enough to potential to get into a good coaches roster may be a different story, that could hinder your chances. 

Coaches roster? We are laughing, just that expression tell me all I need to know about your expertise on UK powerlifting. 

I live here. I know what I’m talking about. 

This past month I got a cheap light weight broom from Dollar Tree and started doing the super speed protocols out of boredom. I'm actually surprised how well this has worked out. Granted, I have no radar to monitor my actual swing speed but I've noticed some substantial distance gains. Hit a drive 286 yards today with what felt like a regular swing. That would be a huge drive for me in the heat of the summer and NEVER happens in early December. My 3 wood usually goes 230 off the tee and I smashed one to 253 today. I'm pretty giddy at the moment. I'd say on average I've gained 10 yards which has the potential to be even longer when things warm up and get firmer.

On 12/4/2020 at 12:41 PM, hammersia said:

I think the word to describe your behavior in this thread would be obtuse. I will just leave it at that. Your comments speak for themselves. Good day sir!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

$$$$

100%, the answer depends on the particular individual.  The GENERAL answer is going to be work that strengthens your core, including your glutes, but most people are going to benefit as much from a ton of mobility work as they are from strength training.  And beyond that, if you have a serious technical flaw in your swing, it doesn't matter how strong or mobile you become, you just won't be able to move the club faster.

I'll go one step farther with that.  Far more golfers are being held back by their swing than by their strength.  Not some more; FAR more.  And for older golfers, you can add mobility, particularly in the hips, as a bigger issue than strength as well.

All of that said, deadlifts and squats are great for golfers.  Medicine ball slams and underhand throws with rotations are great for golfers.  Anti-rotation exercises in which you move your upper body while limiting your lower body, or vice versa, are great for golfers.  Bench press can be, if done in particular ways that don't have a lot to do with a max out sort of approach.  And so on...

But again, what sort of stuff will help the most really depends on the individual and what his/her deficiencies are.  There are things that will help pretty much anybody move toward being more fit, more injury-free, etc., but whether or not those same things will improve swing speed is just not possible to say as a blanket statement for all golfers.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, bluedot said:

100%, the answer depends on the particular individual.  The GENERAL answer is going to be work that strengthens your core, including your glutes, but most people are going to benefit as much from a ton of mobility work as they are from strength training.  And beyond that, if you have a serious technical flaw in your swing, it doesn't matter how strong or mobile you become, you just won't be able to move the club faster.

I'll go one step farther with that.  Far more golfers are being held back by their swing than by their strength.  Not some more; FAR more.  And for older golfers, you can add mobility, particularly in the hips, as a bigger issue than strength as well.

All of that said, deadlifts and squats are great for golfers.  Medicine ball slams and underhand throws with rotations are great for golfers.  Anti-rotation exercises in which you move your upper body while limiting your lower body, or vice versa, are great for golfers.  Bench press can be, if done in particular ways that don't have a lot to do with a max out sort of approach.  And so on...

But again, what sort of stuff will help the most really depends on the individual and what his/her deficiencies are.  There are things that will help pretty much anybody move toward being more fit, more injury-free, etc., but whether or not those same things will improve swing speed is just not possible to say as a blanket statement for all golfers.

You pretty much summed it up in the most basic way possible so kudos to you.  I have to agree 100% that most golfers are held back by their swing much more so than their training at the gym.  I didn't fully utilize all my training for power in my swing until I started using the ground up.  What Tiger called snapping his left leg straight on the downswing coming up which is essentially called the squat move nowadays. 

Bruce Lee was a well known martial arts athlete and celebrity. Although his workouts were extremely vigorous  , no one would describe these workouts as powerlifting; in fact he included many body weight  exercises in his regimen. His underlying goal was to maintain / increase his speed and reactions . Because his hands / wrists were vital clogs in his martial arts movements , he had a particular emphasis on strengthening his hands/wrists.

The same underlying concepts should apply to every sport.

Get fit first and then train for the particular demands of your sport. In golf rotational speed and hand/ wrist strength are vital. 

Great points in this thread.  The topic is pretty loaded because golfers range from people with physical disabilities to seniors to top athletes to kids.  The thing in common is we all can get a little more out of our bodies, whatever that means as our max personally possible swing speed.  To me it goes like this: #1, if you are injured you have to rehab and not make things worse.  #2 (or #1) is overall joint health, where training and mobility work needs to be done.  Even if you have a permanent bum shoulder, for instance, you can be strong and fit enough to make a certain length swing and get faster without injuring yourself.

Improving swing mechanics/faults can't be done in the gym.  So to stick with OP's topic, what can be done in the gym is joint health and strength.  A good piece of advice I've heard from Jeff Cavalier of AthleanX, as far as gym training, was to gain strength in your current range of motion first.  As you work on increasing range of motion, you maintain that stength.  Then you make more strength gains in that new range of motion and so on.  I think the same can apply to the swing.  Get faster in your current range of motion first, then gradually increase your swing length.

IF you're physically able, you want to train for explosiveness AND lift heavy because that gives you the best chance of increasing fast twitch type 2a muscle fibers.  Check out Dr. Andy Galpin for reference.

The big lifts mentioned in this thread give you the most bang for your buck - deads, squats, bench, and variations of them (sumo, wide grip deads, RDLs, front squats...).  More for upper body:  Pullups, row variations, heavy farmer's carries, overhead presses, back extensions, rear delt flys.  More for lower body:  Leg press, hack squats, Bulgarian split squats, lunges.  More "core":  I like the anti rotation stuff like mentioned before, Palloff presses, ab wheel, "hollow body" ups.  I like unilateral stuff: single arm DB bench, single arm DB snatch, DB push press, renegade rows, landmine presses.  Add in speed work: reduced load speed lifts (like 50-70% of max weight for 5 sets of 2-3 reps of the big three lifts), plyometrics, sprinting.  Plyo: squat/tuck jumps, broad jump, jump for height like to a basketball backboard, plyo pushups.  Vary tempos, slow eccentric, fast concentric, or fast to slow, iso holds, the list goes on.

The golf swing is like is plyo movement, so just routinely swinging fast is the most important training for speed in itself.  As we know, many people who don't lift at all can hit long.  It could be that they are genetically gifted with high composition of fast twitch muscle fibers.  Or their nervous system link with muscles and connective tissue are more efficient than others. Galpin says there just has not been enough studies or muscle type biopsies done on "fast" athletes to see if they have an abundance of rare "super fast twitch" type 2x fibers.  Btw I find it interesting that type 2x are found in abundance in sedentary or bedridden elderly people maybe because they need help for fight or flight response.  It's also not just muscles that create movement, it's the signal from the brain to nerves to muscle to connective tissue connected to the bones.  That all has to be efficient.  What we can control is ingraining swing movements and getting stronger and faster by training and eating well.  It should be a pretty holistic approach like any other sport or health issue if you ask me.

• Like 2

D1 Cobra LTDx, OG HZ Black 62 6.5 D2 TM R510TP, 757X 3W OG Ping Rapture, OG HZ Black 75 6.0 20°H Ping G20, CTLX 5I Cobra F9, CTLX 5I-PW Mizuno MP-54, CTLX GW Nike VPC, V120X 54, 60 CBX Zipcore, V120X Cure RX4, CX3. WITB Link. CAD Designs on IG @joostin.golf

Man, I can’t even go to the gym since past three weeks. Covid is going crazy and my gym is packed with no one wearing masks. Doing some workout at home but I’m pretty limited.

In regard to speed, speed training is most important and being flexible. You see some of these junior twigs who can’t bench 135 swinging at pga tour speeds.

1 hour ago, joostin said:

Great points in this thread.  The topic is pretty loaded because golfers range from people with physical disabilities to seniors to top athletes to kids.  The thing in common is we all can get a little more out of our bodies, whatever that means as our max personally possible swing speed.  To me it goes like this: #1, if you are injured you have to rehab and not make things worse.  #2 (or #1) is overall joint health, where training and mobility work needs to be done.  Even if you have a permanent bum shoulder, for instance, you can be strong and fit enough to make a certain length swing and get faster without injuring yourself.

Improving swing mechanics/faults can't be done in the gym.  So to stick with OP's topic, what can be done in the gym is joint health and strength.  A good piece of advice I've heard from Jeff Cavalier of AthleanX, as far as gym training, was to gain strength in your current range of motion first.  As you work on increasing range of motion, you maintain that stength.  Then you make more strength gains in that new range of motion and so on.  I think the same can apply to the swing.  Get faster in your current range of motion first, then gradually increase your swing length.

IF you're physically able, you want to train for explosiveness AND lift heavy because that gives you the best chance of increasing fast twitch type 2a muscle fibers.  Check out Dr. Andy Galpin for reference.

The big lifts mentioned in this thread give you the most bang for your buck - deads, squats, bench, and variations of them (sumo, wide grip deads, RDLs, front squats...).  More for upper body:  Pullups, row variations, heavy farmer's carries, overhead presses, back extensions, rear delt flys.  More for lower body:  Leg press, hack squats, Bulgarian split squats, lunges.  More "core":  I like the anti rotation stuff like mentioned before, Palloff presses, ab wheel, "hollow body" ups.  I like unilateral stuff: single arm DB bench, single arm DB snatch, DB push press, renegade rows, landmine presses.  Add in speed work: reduced load speed lifts (like 50-70% of max weight for 5 sets of 2-3 reps of the big three lifts), plyometrics, sprinting.  Plyo: squat/tuck jumps, broad jump, jump for height like to a basketball backboard, plyo pushups.  Vary tempos, slow eccentric, fast concentric, or fast to slow, iso holds, the list goes on.

The golf swing is like is plyo movement, so just routinely swinging fast is the most important training for speed in itself.  As we know, many people who don't lift at all can hit long.  It could be that they are genetically gifted with high composition of fast twitch muscle fibers.  Or their nervous system link with muscles and connective tissue are more efficient than others. Galpin says there just has not been enough studies or muscle type biopsies done on "fast" athletes to see if they have an abundance of rare "super fast twitch" type 2x fibers.  Btw I find it interesting that type 2x are found in abundance in sedentary or bedridden elderly people maybe because they need help for fight or flight response.  It's also not just muscles that create movement, it's the signal from the brain to nerves to muscle to connective tissue connected to the bones.  That all has to be efficient.  What we can control is ingraining swing movements and getting stronger and faster by training and eating well.  It should be a pretty holistic approach like any other sport or health issue if you ask me.

This post has so much quality info. /thread

• Like 2

4 hours ago, joostin said:

You just gave away all the trade secrets on how to get the most out of any swing/ballistic movement/sport, lol.  I train people from all walks of life in the gym for a living and your post pretty much sums it up for that segment of athletes without giving out max detail.  Kudos to you bro.   

• Like 1

19 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

You just gave away all the trade secrets on how to get the most out of any swing/ballistic movement/sport, lol.  I train people from all walks of life in the gym for a living and your post pretty much sums it up for that segment of athletes without giving out max detail.  Kudos to you bro.   

Thanks and sorry if revealing "secrets"!   One thing I want to add is that making gains in swing speed has parallels to gains in the gym:  If you don't train strength or conditioning (or golf or swinging fast) regularly, once you do train consistently, say 3+ times a week, with intent/drive, results will follow.  You can be an experienced lifter (or golfer) and have hit a max weight (or speed) plateau, but if you can find a program to follow that would be best.  A lot of 12 week lifting programs out there, but probably not much for golf.  There's so much to navigate in health and fitness and in golf so pros are there to help if you're stuck in the maze.

D1 Cobra LTDx, OG HZ Black 62 6.5 D2 TM R510TP, 757X 3W OG Ping Rapture, OG HZ Black 75 6.0 20°H Ping G20, CTLX 5I Cobra F9, CTLX 5I-PW Mizuno MP-54, CTLX GW Nike VPC, V120X 54, 60 CBX Zipcore, V120X Cure RX4, CX3. WITB Link. CAD Designs on IG @joostin.golf