Jump to content

Good exercises at the gym for more distance?


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In general, avoid getting old.

Sure looks like basic powerlifting moves to me...    Ryan Steenberg (@golffreakfitness) • Instagram photos and videos Ryan Steenberg (@golffreakfitness) • Instagram photos and videos

i just started doing box jumps again today. pretty sure they're good for explosive power which can translate to more distance with the golf swing. and now that my belly is bigger than ever i'm optimis

14 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

Have you seen Ryan Steenberg?  The guy used to play college football and is a pretty strong dude.  Many of the WLD guys are pretty strong in their own right and they all strength train.  Not saying strength training is the end all for distance.  Don't get me wrong, plyometrics are awesome and I add them to my routine but I believe adding all components of strength, flexibility, speed and stability training are vital to increasing distance off the tee. 

I’ve just checked him out - tbf there’s little or no powerlifting in his training going on. And I’m sure he’s not claiming to be a powerlifter either. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, hammersia said:

I’ve just checked him out - tbf there’s little or no powerlifting in his training going on. And I’m sure he’s not claiming to be a powerlifter either. 

Strength training.  I never once mentioned in my previous post the words power lifting.  He has a back round in football more specifically former line backer.  His training now is based more on flexibility and explosive movements, but he still has elements of strength training. 

  • Like 1

TM SIM 2, 8* w/Ventus Black 7x

TM SIM 15* w/Ventus Blue 8x

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto TP 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

New Level NLU-01 21* w/KBS Proto 105x

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

Strength training.  I never once mentioned in my previous post the words power lifting.  He has a back round in football more specifically former line backer.  His training now is based more on flexibility and explosive movements, but he still has elements of strength training. 

Er, yes you did, page 1:

 

“however, "slow" exercises such as squats, deads, bench, etc. are also important to do”

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hammersia said:

Er, yes you did, page 1:

 

“however, "slow" exercises such as squats, deads, bench, etc. are also important to do”

Sigh.  You proved my point again.  Nowhere in that post is there the word "power lifting".

  • Like 1

TM SIM 2, 8* w/Ventus Black 7x

TM SIM 15* w/Ventus Blue 8x

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto TP 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

New Level NLU-01 21* w/KBS Proto 105x

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

Sigh.  You proved my point again.  Nowhere in that post is there the word "power lifting".

Oxford English Dictionary definition:

 

“powerlifting
/ˈpʌʊəlɪftɪŋ/
 
noun
  1. a form of competitive weightlifting in which contestants attempt three types of lift in a set sequence.”
     
    And then Wikipedia:
     
    “Powerlifting is a strength sport that consists of three attempts at maximal weight on three lifts: squat, bench press, and deadlift.”
     
     
    Sigh indeed.....
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, hammersia said:

Oxford English Dictionary definition:

 

“powerlifting
/ˈpʌʊəlɪftɪŋ/
 
noun
  1. a form of competitive weightlifting in which contestants attempt three types of lift in a set sequence.”
     
    And then Wikipedia:
     
    “Powerlifting is a strength sport that consists of three attempts at maximal weight on three lifts: squat, bench press, and deadlift.”
     
     
    Sigh indeed.....

Never once did I mention one rep max sets.  Also the big 3 compound lifts I mentioned before aren't exclusive to power lifting.  Pro athletes and bodybuilders all include those types of exercises in their training programs.  Ok, I'm done here........

  • Like 1

TM SIM 2, 8* w/Ventus Black 7x

TM SIM 15* w/Ventus Blue 8x

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto TP 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

New Level NLU-01 21* w/KBS Proto 105x

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, hammersia said:

Oxford English Dictionary definition:

 

“powerlifting
/ˈpʌʊəlɪftɪŋ/
 
noun
  1. a form of competitive weightlifting in which contestants attempt three types of lift in a set sequence.”
     
    And then Wikipedia:
     
    “Powerlifting is a strength sport that consists of three attempts at maximal weight on three lifts: squat, bench press, and deadlift.”
     
     
    Sigh indeed.....

 

 

18 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

Never once did I mention one rep max sets.  Also the big 3 compound lifts I mentioned before aren't exclusive to power lifting.  Pro athletes and bodybuilders all include those types of exercises in their training programs.  Ok, I'm done here........


 

If you’re insisting anyone who does a squat, bench or deadlift is a powerlifter there is a serious misunderstanding of what powerlifting actually is compared to general strength training. Powerlifting is a sport in and of itself. Like Phizzy said, there’s a big difference between strength training, for general strength or athletic strength, and training for maximal one rep attempts. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, phizzy30 said:

Never once did I mention one rep max sets.  Also the big 3 compound lifts I mentioned before aren't exclusive to power lifting.  Pro athletes and bodybuilders all include those types of exercises in their training programs.  Ok, I'm done here........

Please just take the loss, learn and move on and stop trolling.

 

You said you have your clients do the three basic powerlifting moves.

 

You then said check out Ryan Steenburgen as an example of someone who strength trains.

 

According to his Insta, Ryan doesn’t do any of the basic powerlifting moves, either one rep or multiple reps.  

 

 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, hammersia said:

Please just take the loss, learn and move on and stop trolling.

 

You said you have your clients do the three basic powerlifting moves.

 

You then said check out Ryan Steenburgen as an example of someone who strength trains.

 

According to his Insta, Ryan doesn’t do any of the basic powerlifting moves, either one rep or multiple reps.  

 

 

"Tis better to not say anything at all, then to open thy mouth and remove all doubt."  😉

 

Have a good day my friend. 

TM SIM 2, 8* w/Ventus Black 7x

TM SIM 15* w/Ventus Blue 8x

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto TP 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

New Level NLU-01 21* w/KBS Proto 105x

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hammersia said:

Please just take the loss, learn and move on and stop trolling.

 

You said you have your clients do the three basic powerlifting moves.

 

You then said check out Ryan Steenburgen as an example of someone who strength trains.

 

According to his Insta, Ryan doesn’t do any of the basic powerlifting moves, either one rep or multiple reps.  

 

 

 

 

Sure looks like basic powerlifting moves to me... 

 

Ryan Steenberg (@golffreakfitness) • Instagram photos and videos

Ryan Steenberg (@golffreakfitness) • Instagram photos and videos

Ryan Steenberg (@golffreakfitness) • Instagram photos and videos

Ryan Steenberg (@golffreakfitness) • Instagram photos and videos

Ryan Steenberg (@golffreakfitness) • Instagram photos and videos

Ryan Steenberg (@golffreakfitness) • Instagram photos and videos

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, PureStrikes54 said:


Oh do come along, in order, in relation to POWERLIFTING:

 

1) Off blocks, eg rack pulls, NOT a deadlift

2) Trap bar, NOT a deadlift

3) Front squat, NOT a squat

4) It’s a picture of a bar, what am I supposed to be looking it?
5) Power cleans, NOT a deadlift

6) Good grief, he’s squatting ! Oh it was six years ago.

 

I know we get this sort of thread every two months, but the challenge to you all remains the same - show me any golfer, including long drivers, who train bench, squat and deadlift heavy with good form. Never seen it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hammersia said:


Oh do come along, in order, in relation to POWERLIFTING:

 

1) Off blocks, eg rack pulls, NOT a deadlift

2) Trap bar, NOT a deadlift

3) Front squat, NOT a squat

4) It’s a picture of a bar, what am I supposed to be looking it?
5) Power cleans, NOT a deadlift

6) Good grief, he’s squatting ! Oh it was six years ago.

 

I know we get this sort of thread every two months, but the challenge to you all remains the same - show me any golfer, including long drivers, who train bench, squat and deadlift heavy with good form. Never seen it. 

 

 

Got it...a word semantics game...

 

Joe Miller was training all of those lifts with good form. 

 

JOE MILLER - Golf News

 

How much time do you spend in the gym and what do you work on?
I’m in Norton’s gym at Welwyn Garden City seven days a week and my nutrition is on point seven days a week, 24 hours a day. I don’t do too much golf-specific training, I just focus on the major muscle groups – legs, shoulders, arms abs. I can bench press 200kg and squat lift around 260-280kg. I generally do about 90 minutes of weights a day.

 

Joe's Gym: Back Workout | Joe Miller - YouTube Deadlift 2:36 in

 

Joe Miller LDC - 😡this is how you get that face 😡⠀ ⠀ 4... (facebook.com)

 

Published major magazine writer referring to powerlifting training and the lifts Jason Day was completing including trap-bar deadlifts.

 

Golfer Jason Day Talks Training, Working Out, the Presidents Cup, and Nutrition (mensjournal.com)

How Jason Day’s Powerlifting Training Prepared Him to Dominate the Presidents Cup

“I started out the year in quite good shape, but my upper body was almost too big,” Day said. “For golf you can’t have a big upper body and a small lower one. You’ve got to have big strong legs and a strong core. I do a lot of squats, do a lot trap-bar deadlifts, and a lot of sumo deadlifts. You can’t get too big. I started losing power when I got too big in the upper body, but now I’m on top of it.”

 

Edited by PureStrikes54
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I almost wrote not to give Joe Miller as an example, there’s been previous threads on him and yes I’m familiar with the article and the linked youtube -

 

That video shows one terrible form deadlift with 180kg, nothing else. No way he could ever squat 260 and bench 200, that’s laughable. You’ve got to remember it’s almost impossible to get powerlifting coaching in the UK.

 

I am not taking anything away from him, he is a great long driver. He is not someone who spends much time benching, squatting and deadlifting. 
 

Jason Day is tiny by comparison obviously, and he only mentions squats, of which there are predictably no videos. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, MPAndreassi said:

 

 


 

If you’re insisting anyone who does a squat, bench or deadlift is a powerlifter there is a serious misunderstanding of what powerlifting actually is compared to general strength training. Powerlifting is a sport in and of itself. Like Phizzy said, there’s a big difference between strength training, for general strength or athletic strength, and training for maximal one rep attempts. 

Please take that up with the Oxford English Dictionary and Wikipedia. I can only quote sources, if their definitions are wrong please share your wisdom with them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, hammersia said:

Please take that up with the Oxford English Dictionary and Wikipedia. I can only quote sources, if their definitions are wrong please share your wisdom with them.


This has nothing to do with my “wisdom” but more of the ignorance you’re exhibiting from post to post on the topic. 
 

It is far from impossible to get powerlifting coaching in the UK, that’s just a blatant lie. One of the worlds biggest equipment suppliers is based there. There are a ton of very talented lifters and qualified coaches from the UK. Now being good enough or having enough to potential to get into a good coaches roster may be a different story, that could hinder your chances. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, MPAndreassi said:


This has nothing to do with my “wisdom” but more of the ignorance you’re exhibiting from post to post on the topic. 
 

It is far from impossible to get powerlifting coaching in the UK, that’s just a blatant lie. One of the worlds biggest equipment suppliers is based there. There are a ton of very talented lifters and qualified coaches from the UK. Now being good enough or having enough to potential to get into a good coaches roster may be a different story, that could hinder your chances. 

Coaches roster? We are laughing, just that expression tell me all I need to know about your expertise on UK powerlifting. 

 

I live here. I know what I’m talking about. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

This past month I got a cheap light weight broom from Dollar Tree and started doing the super speed protocols out of boredom. I'm actually surprised how well this has worked out. Granted, I have no radar to monitor my actual swing speed but I've noticed some substantial distance gains. Hit a drive 286 yards today with what felt like a regular swing. That would be a huge drive for me in the heat of the summer and NEVER happens in early December. My 3 wood usually goes 230 off the tee and I smashed one to 253 today. I'm pretty giddy at the moment. I'd say on average I've gained 10 yards which has the potential to be even longer when things warm up and get firmer.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/4/2020 at 12:41 PM, hammersia said:

Please just take the loss, learn and move on and stop trolling.

 

You said you have your clients do the three basic powerlifting moves.

 

You then said check out Ryan Steenburgen as an example of someone who strength trains.

 

According to his Insta, Ryan doesn’t do any of the basic powerlifting moves, either one rep or multiple reps.  

 

 

I think the word to describe your behavior in this thread would be obtuse. I will just leave it at that. Your comments speak for themselves. Good day sir!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

$$$$

Link to post
Share on other sites

100%, the answer depends on the particular individual.  The GENERAL answer is going to be work that strengthens your core, including your glutes, but most people are going to benefit as much from a ton of mobility work as they are from strength training.  And beyond that, if you have a serious technical flaw in your swing, it doesn't matter how strong or mobile you become, you just won't be able to move the club faster.

 

I'll go one step farther with that.  Far more golfers are being held back by their swing than by their strength.  Not some more; FAR more.  And for older golfers, you can add mobility, particularly in the hips, as a bigger issue than strength as well.

 

All of that said, deadlifts and squats are great for golfers.  Medicine ball slams and underhand throws with rotations are great for golfers.  Anti-rotation exercises in which you move your upper body while limiting your lower body, or vice versa, are great for golfers.  Bench press can be, if done in particular ways that don't have a lot to do with a max out sort of approach.  And so on...

 

But again, what sort of stuff will help the most really depends on the individual and what his/her deficiencies are.  There are things that will help pretty much anybody move toward being more fit, more injury-free, etc., but whether or not those same things will improve swing speed is just not possible to say as a blanket statement for all golfers.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, bluedot said:

100%, the answer depends on the particular individual.  The GENERAL answer is going to be work that strengthens your core, including your glutes, but most people are going to benefit as much from a ton of mobility work as they are from strength training.  And beyond that, if you have a serious technical flaw in your swing, it doesn't matter how strong or mobile you become, you just won't be able to move the club faster.

 

I'll go one step farther with that.  Far more golfers are being held back by their swing than by their strength.  Not some more; FAR more.  And for older golfers, you can add mobility, particularly in the hips, as a bigger issue than strength as well.

 

All of that said, deadlifts and squats are great for golfers.  Medicine ball slams and underhand throws with rotations are great for golfers.  Anti-rotation exercises in which you move your upper body while limiting your lower body, or vice versa, are great for golfers.  Bench press can be, if done in particular ways that don't have a lot to do with a max out sort of approach.  And so on...

 

But again, what sort of stuff will help the most really depends on the individual and what his/her deficiencies are.  There are things that will help pretty much anybody move toward being more fit, more injury-free, etc., but whether or not those same things will improve swing speed is just not possible to say as a blanket statement for all golfers.

You pretty much summed it up in the most basic way possible so kudos to you.  I have to agree 100% that most golfers are held back by their swing much more so than their training at the gym.  I didn't fully utilize all my training for power in my swing until I started using the ground up.  What Tiger called snapping his left leg straight on the downswing coming up which is essentially called the squat move nowadays. 

TM SIM 2, 8* w/Ventus Black 7x

TM SIM 15* w/Ventus Blue 8x

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto TP 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

New Level NLU-01 21* w/KBS Proto 105x

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Bruce Lee was a well known martial arts athlete and celebrity. Although his workouts were extremely vigorous  , no one would describe these workouts as powerlifting; in fact he included many body weight  exercises in his regimen. His underlying goal was to maintain / increase his speed and reactions . Because his hands / wrists were vital clogs in his martial arts movements , he had a particular emphasis on strengthening his hands/wrists.

The same underlying concepts should apply to every sport.

Get fit first and then train for the particular demands of your sport. In golf rotational speed and hand/ wrist strength are vital. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Great points in this thread.  The topic is pretty loaded because golfers range from people with physical disabilities to seniors to top athletes to kids.  The thing in common is we all can get a little more out of our bodies, whatever that means as our max personally possible swing speed.  To me it goes like this: #1, if you are injured you have to rehab and not make things worse.  #2 (or #1) is overall joint health, where training and mobility work needs to be done.  Even if you have a permanent bum shoulder, for instance, you can be strong and fit enough to make a certain length swing and get faster without injuring yourself.

Improving swing mechanics/faults can't be done in the gym.  So to stick with OP's topic, what can be done in the gym is joint health and strength.  A good piece of advice I've heard from Jeff Cavalier of AthleanX, as far as gym training, was to gain strength in your current range of motion first.  As you work on increasing range of motion, you maintain that stength.  Then you make more strength gains in that new range of motion and so on.  I think the same can apply to the swing.  Get faster in your current range of motion first, then gradually increase your swing length.

IF you're physically able, you want to train for explosiveness AND lift heavy because that gives you the best chance of increasing fast twitch type 2a muscle fibers.  Check out Dr. Andy Galpin for reference.

The big lifts mentioned in this thread give you the most bang for your buck - deads, squats, bench, and variations of them (sumo, wide grip deads, RDLs, front squats...).  More for upper body:  Pullups, row variations, heavy farmer's carries, overhead presses, back extensions, rear delt flys.  More for lower body:  Leg press, hack squats, Bulgarian split squats, lunges.  More "core":  I like the anti rotation stuff like mentioned before, Palloff presses, ab wheel, "hollow body" ups.  I like unilateral stuff: single arm DB bench, single arm DB snatch, DB push press, renegade rows, landmine presses.  Add in speed work: reduced load speed lifts (like 50-70% of max weight for 5 sets of 2-3 reps of the big three lifts), plyometrics, sprinting.  Plyo: squat/tuck jumps, broad jump, jump for height like to a basketball backboard, plyo pushups.  Vary tempos, slow eccentric, fast concentric, or fast to slow, iso holds, the list goes on.

The golf swing is like is plyo movement, so just routinely swinging fast is the most important training for speed in itself.  As we know, many people who don't lift at all can hit long.  It could be that they are genetically gifted with high composition of fast twitch muscle fibers.  Or their nervous system link with muscles and connective tissue are more efficient than others. Galpin says there just has not been enough studies or muscle type biopsies done on "fast" athletes to see if they have an abundance of rare "super fast twitch" type 2x fibers.  Btw I find it interesting that type 2x are found in abundance in sedentary or bedridden elderly people maybe because they need help for fight or flight response.  It's also not just muscles that create movement, it's the signal from the brain to nerves to muscle to connective tissue connected to the bones.  That all has to be efficient.  What we can control is ingraining swing movements and getting stronger and faster by training and eating well.  It should be a pretty holistic approach like any other sport or health issue if you ask me.

  • Like 2

D Adams XTD, 70M4X 3W TEE CBX, HZBk75S 5W Titleist 915F, D+80X

3I Srixon Z 545 4H Adams S 9031 6I-PW Mizuno MP-54, C Taper Lite X

GW Nike VPC, Tour V X 54 60 Cleveland CBX, DG S300 Cure CX3

Link to post
Share on other sites

Man, I can’t even go to the gym since past three weeks. Covid is going crazy and my gym is packed with no one wearing masks. Doing some workout at home but I’m pretty limited.

 

In regard to speed, speed training is most important and being flexible. You see some of these junior twigs who can’t bench 135 swinging at pga tour speeds.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, joostin said:

Great points in this thread.  The topic is pretty loaded because golfers range from people with physical disabilities to seniors to top athletes to kids.  The thing in common is we all can get a little more out of our bodies, whatever that means as our max personally possible swing speed.  To me it goes like this: #1, if you are injured you have to rehab and not make things worse.  #2 (or #1) is overall joint health, where training and mobility work needs to be done.  Even if you have a permanent bum shoulder, for instance, you can be strong and fit enough to make a certain length swing and get faster without injuring yourself.

Improving swing mechanics/faults can't be done in the gym.  So to stick with OP's topic, what can be done in the gym is joint health and strength.  A good piece of advice I've heard from Jeff Cavalier of AthleanX, as far as gym training, was to gain strength in your current range of motion first.  As you work on increasing range of motion, you maintain that stength.  Then you make more strength gains in that new range of motion and so on.  I think the same can apply to the swing.  Get faster in your current range of motion first, then gradually increase your swing length.

IF you're physically able, you want to train for explosiveness AND lift heavy because that gives you the best chance of increasing fast twitch type 2a muscle fibers.  Check out Dr. Andy Galpin for reference.

The big lifts mentioned in this thread give you the most bang for your buck - deads, squats, bench, and variations of them (sumo, wide grip deads, RDLs, front squats...).  More for upper body:  Pullups, row variations, heavy farmer's carries, overhead presses, back extensions, rear delt flys.  More for lower body:  Leg press, hack squats, Bulgarian split squats, lunges.  More "core":  I like the anti rotation stuff like mentioned before, Palloff presses, ab wheel, "hollow body" ups.  I like unilateral stuff: single arm DB bench, single arm DB snatch, DB push press, renegade rows, landmine presses.  Add in speed work: reduced load speed lifts (like 50-70% of max weight for 5 sets of 2-3 reps of the big three lifts), plyometrics, sprinting.  Plyo: squat/tuck jumps, broad jump, jump for height like to a basketball backboard, plyo pushups.  Vary tempos, slow eccentric, fast concentric, or fast to slow, iso holds, the list goes on.

The golf swing is like is plyo movement, so just routinely swinging fast is the most important training for speed in itself.  As we know, many people who don't lift at all can hit long.  It could be that they are genetically gifted with high composition of fast twitch muscle fibers.  Or their nervous system link with muscles and connective tissue are more efficient than others. Galpin says there just has not been enough studies or muscle type biopsies done on "fast" athletes to see if they have an abundance of rare "super fast twitch" type 2x fibers.  Btw I find it interesting that type 2x are found in abundance in sedentary or bedridden elderly people maybe because they need help for fight or flight response.  It's also not just muscles that create movement, it's the signal from the brain to nerves to muscle to connective tissue connected to the bones.  That all has to be efficient.  What we can control is ingraining swing movements and getting stronger and faster by training and eating well.  It should be a pretty holistic approach like any other sport or health issue if you ask me.

 

This post has so much quality info. /thread

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, joostin said:

Great points in this thread.  The topic is pretty loaded because golfers range from people with physical disabilities to seniors to top athletes to kids.  The thing in common is we all can get a little more out of our bodies, whatever that means as our max personally possible swing speed.  To me it goes like this: #1, if you are injured you have to rehab and not make things worse.  #2 (or #1) is overall joint health, where training and mobility work needs to be done.  Even if you have a permanent bum shoulder, for instance, you can be strong and fit enough to make a certain length swing and get faster without injuring yourself.

Improving swing mechanics/faults can't be done in the gym.  So to stick with OP's topic, what can be done in the gym is joint health and strength.  A good piece of advice I've heard from Jeff Cavalier of AthleanX, as far as gym training, was to gain strength in your current range of motion first.  As you work on increasing range of motion, you maintain that stength.  Then you make more strength gains in that new range of motion and so on.  I think the same can apply to the swing.  Get faster in your current range of motion first, then gradually increase your swing length.

IF you're physically able, you want to train for explosiveness AND lift heavy because that gives you the best chance of increasing fast twitch type 2a muscle fibers.  Check out Dr. Andy Galpin for reference.

The big lifts mentioned in this thread give you the most bang for your buck - deads, squats, bench, and variations of them (sumo, wide grip deads, RDLs, front squats...).  More for upper body:  Pullups, row variations, heavy farmer's carries, overhead presses, back extensions, rear delt flys.  More for lower body:  Leg press, hack squats, Bulgarian split squats, lunges.  More "core":  I like the anti rotation stuff like mentioned before, Palloff presses, ab wheel, "hollow body" ups.  I like unilateral stuff: single arm DB bench, single arm DB snatch, DB push press, renegade rows, landmine presses.  Add in speed work: reduced load speed lifts (like 50-70% of max weight for 5 sets of 2-3 reps of the big three lifts), plyometrics, sprinting.  Plyo: squat/tuck jumps, broad jump, jump for height like to a basketball backboard, plyo pushups.  Vary tempos, slow eccentric, fast concentric, or fast to slow, iso holds, the list goes on.

The golf swing is like is plyo movement, so just routinely swinging fast is the most important training for speed in itself.  As we know, many people who don't lift at all can hit long.  It could be that they are genetically gifted with high composition of fast twitch muscle fibers.  Or their nervous system link with muscles and connective tissue are more efficient than others. Galpin says there just has not been enough studies or muscle type biopsies done on "fast" athletes to see if they have an abundance of rare "super fast twitch" type 2x fibers.  Btw I find it interesting that type 2x are found in abundance in sedentary or bedridden elderly people maybe because they need help for fight or flight response.  It's also not just muscles that create movement, it's the signal from the brain to nerves to muscle to connective tissue connected to the bones.  That all has to be efficient.  What we can control is ingraining swing movements and getting stronger and faster by training and eating well.  It should be a pretty holistic approach like any other sport or health issue if you ask me.

You just gave away all the trade secrets on how to get the most out of any swing/ballistic movement/sport, lol.  I train people from all walks of life in the gym for a living and your post pretty much sums it up for that segment of athletes without giving out max detail.  Kudos to you bro.   

  • Like 1

TM SIM 2, 8* w/Ventus Black 7x

TM SIM 15* w/Ventus Blue 8x

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto TP 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

New Level NLU-01 21* w/KBS Proto 105x

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Jeff's got some really solid stuff. Hands down best youtube fitness guy! Only guy I watch regularly. 

  • Like 1

Callaway - Epic Subzero 9* Oban Kiyoshi White 68g 04

TEE - CB Pro Limited 16.5*  Oban Kiyoshi White 74g 04

TEE - CB Pro U 19* Paderson KINETIXX TS Hybrid 80

Miura - Baby Blades 4 - PW KBS Tour Black 120s

Vokey - SM7 52* 56* 60* KBS Tour Black 120s

Ping - PLD Prime Tyne 35"

Grips- Iomic Sticky 2.3 .60

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

You just gave away all the trade secrets on how to get the most out of any swing/ballistic movement/sport, lol.  I train people from all walks of life in the gym for a living and your post pretty much sums it up for that segment of athletes without giving out max detail.  Kudos to you bro.   

Thanks and sorry if revealing "secrets"!   One thing I want to add is that making gains in swing speed has parallels to gains in the gym:  If you don't train strength or conditioning (or golf or swinging fast) regularly, once you do train consistently, say 3+ times a week, with intent/drive, results will follow.  You can be an experienced lifter (or golfer) and have hit a max weight (or speed) plateau, but if you can find a program to follow that would be best.  A lot of 12 week lifting programs out there, but probably not much for golf.  There's so much to navigate in health and fitness and in golf so pros are there to help if you're stuck in the maze.

D Adams XTD, 70M4X 3W TEE CBX, HZBk75S 5W Titleist 915F, D+80X

3I Srixon Z 545 4H Adams S 9031 6I-PW Mizuno MP-54, C Taper Lite X

GW Nike VPC, Tour V X 54 60 Cleveland CBX, DG S300 Cure CX3

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Our picks

    • 2021 RBC Heritage - discussions and links
      Please post any questions and comments here.
       
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #1
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #2
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #3
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #4
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #5
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #6
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #7
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #8
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #9
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #10
       

       
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #1
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #2
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #3
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #4
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #5
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #6
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #7
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #8
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #9
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #10
       
       

       
      Custom Cameron putters - 2021 RBC Heritage
      Bettinardi putter - 2021 RBC Heritage
      Robert Streb's custom stamped Vokey wedge - 2021 RBC Heritage
      Ben An's custom stamped Vokey - 2021 RBC Heritage
      • 16 replies
    • 2021 Valero Texas Open - discussion & links
      Please put any questions or comments here. 
       
      This week, the PGA Tour is at TPC San Antonio on the Oaks Course for the Valero Texas Open. GolfWRX was on-site Tuesday to catch a glimpse into the bags of some of the world’s top golfers.
       
      The field of 144 is getting ready to battle starting Thursday for the $7.7 million purse, with $1.386 million going to the winner. The tournament is also the last event where players can qualify for The Masters, just like Canadian Corey Conners did last year.
       
      Check out our "Most interesting photos" Part 1, and Part 2.
       

       
      2021 Valero Texas Open - Tuesday #1 2021 Valero Texas Open - Tuesday #2 2021 Valero Texas Open - Tuesday #3 2021 Valero Texas Open - Tuesday #4 2021 Valero Texas Open - Tuesday #5 2021 Valero Texas Open - Tuesday #6 2021 Valero Texas Open - Tuesday #7 2021 Valero Texas Open - Tuesday #8  


       
      Cameron putters (added Bernd Wiesberger's custom T-11) -2021 Valero Texas Open Piretti putters -2021 Valero Texas Open Branden Grace testing AutoFlex shaft @ 2021 Valero Texas Open  
      Check out our "Most interesting photos" Part 1, and Part 2.
       

       
        • Like
      • 29 replies
    • **GIVEAWAY** Odyssey Ten Triple Track Putter! ENTER NOW!
      NEW Odyssey Ten Triple Track putter giveaway!!!.To enter reply in this thread that you're IN!
       
      That's it. You'll be entered into the giveaway (one entry per person). Winner chosen at random in two weeks. Be sure to check out the attached pics. Good luck!
       
      If you are not a member her please register here to allow you to reply to this post and enter. Registration is free... https://forums.golfwrx.com/register/
      ======================================================================================================
      We randomize all the number of posts and the #1 number on the top is the winner. Say there is 1,000 replies from members. We will randomize 1 to 1,000 using a website that has a randomizer. It scrambles the numbers and the #1 is the first place and the #2 is the second etc. If the winner has duplicate entries we count the first
       





       
        • Thanks
        • Like
      • 1,599 replies
    • 2021 WGC Dell Technologies Match Play - discussion and links
      Please put any questions or comments here
       
       

       
      2021 WGC Dell Technologies Match Play - Monday #1
      2021 WGC Dell Technologies Match Play - Monday #2
      2021 WGC Dell Technologies Match Play - Monday #3
      2021 WGC Dell Technologies Match Play - Monday #4
      2021 WGC Dell Technologies Match Play - Monday #5
      2021 WGC Dell Technologies Match Play - Monday #6
       
       

       
      Hideki testing putters at WGC Dell Technologies Match Play
      Odyssey/Toulon Atlanta putter - 2021 WGC Dell Technologies Match Play
      Cameron putters - 2021 WGC Dell Technologies Match Play
      Patrick Reed testing TPT shafts 2021 WGC Dell Technologies Match Play
       
       
      • 54 replies
    • 2021 Players - discussion and links
      Please post any questions or comments here
       
       

       
      2021 Players - Monday #1
      2021 Players - Monday #2
      2021 Players - Monday #3
      2021 Players - Monday #4
      2021 Players - Tuesday #1
      2021 Players - Tuesday #2
      2021 Players - Tuesday #3
      2021 Players - Tuesday #4
      2021 Players - Tuesday #5
      2021 Players - Tuesday #6
       
       

       
      Maverick McNealy's custom 1 of 1 Callaway Apex MB irons - 2021 Players
      Adam Long's Cameron T-5 proto - 2021 Players
      Abraham Ancer's custom Muira irons and custom MMT shafts - 2021 Players
      Bettinardi putters & cover - 2021 Players
      Jon Rahm's bag - 2021 Players
      Xander Schauffele's bag - 2021 Players
      Sergio with a Cameron putter - 2021 Players
      Cameron T11 & 11.5 putters - 2021 Players
      Sergio Garcia's clubs - 2021 Players
      Scott Brown's Odyssey gamer - 2021 Players
       
       
       
      • 52 replies

×
×
  • Create New...