2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Mavrik Triple Diamond

Replaced the rear 8g weight with a 12 gram weight for a long range session this evening. I'm pretty used to heavier swing weight clubs having played D6.5 irons until recently - so the extra 2 points felt pretty good and really seemed to help me load the shaft. Definitely starting to love the M3D as it just sounds SO solid versus the more muted SIM Max I've been playing. Definitely caught a few folks watching my session likely based on the sound of my strikes (though it could also be due to the 150 yard hooks I put out there a few times).

This head may have knocked the Max out of my bag based on sound and cool factor, though I'm still not sure it's quite as long for me. That said, I definitely don't have it dialed in properly quite yet.

SIM2 Graphite Design Ventus TR 60X

PXG Gen 3, Project X

Epic 3w/5w/4h - Tour AD-DI

Wedgeworks SM8 55D / 60T

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

Ok so I’ve had a couple of rounds with both my Mavrik TD and my regular Mavrik that I sent to Continental to repaint (all black on the bottom but kept the white on the Callaway and had them pain the jailbreak white) and added some hot melt 6grams up front to reduce spin. Again regular Mavrik not SZ. Both 9.

TD is longer and also runs a bit more. When I get a hold of it and my swing is on, still about 10-15 yards longer. Had a couple carries of 285 with roll out past 315-320. My swing speed yesterday was around 112 on the high and 108 on a normal swing. My regular Mavrik is more controllable for me as I’m just more consistent with it. The TD is def a beast and maybe I’m just not good enough to consistently be playing that? Both feel great and the TD is just slightly fade biased where the reg is dead straight for me. Launch is very similar but the TD is slightly less spin (2500-2600 compared to 2800-3000).

Callaway Paradym Smoke AI Triple Diamond 9* Proxima 6X

TM Stealth2 Plus 3 wood 15*- Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Rogue “T” Triple Diamond 19* 5 wood- Ventus TR Blue 8X
4-PW PXG Gen5 Darkness 0311T MMT 105TX 2* flat
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  50* Axiom 125X
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  54* Axiom 125X
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  58* Axiom 125X
LAB Mezz Max-heavy version, 35” with Stability Tour Fire shaft. Press II 3.0 grip
PXG Hybrid stand bag

Yes I said in my post. Both heads 9*. I tried the weight forward but if I didn’t put the best swing on it, it was very unforgiving for me. I switched out to a 10 in the back and 6 in the front. I haven’t tried 8 and 8 yet.

LAB Mezz Max-heavy version, 35” with Stability Tour Fire shaft. Press II 3.0 grip
PXG Hybrid stand bag

Crazy. Saw Brooks Koepka drop the Tirple Diamond and now back to the M5. Surprised to see that in the middle of a tourney let alone a major.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

He talked about it briefly. He said he went back to his coach and found he was putting 70% of his weight on his back foot and not getting through. Once they fixed it, I think he went back to his old driver as he didn’t have enough time to play with the TD and he knew how the other driver performed. Maybe a confidence thing since he’s played it for 2 years.

PXG Hybrid stand bag

In your testing , were you searching for which was longer or were there a lot of variables you were trying to attain fitting yourself? Please elaborate. Why was the XR that much better? Were they all lofted the same with adjustment? Backspin , side spin , launch , playability , MOI , please let us know what you found in your in depth testing?

While I do agree the faster you swing , the faster you will increase ball speed and distance (also the *beware of the golfer with a new cc* lol) , but once size fits all doesn't fit everyone. My ss is north of yours and I loved the setup of the regular Mavrik , but the head spun too much for me. Tried the Sub zero, same shafts and the accuracy went out the window. I do not like a two way miss. I just received my Mavrik triple D today and should be an ideal candidate if this head drills the spin down some for me. It sure looks beautifully at address. Have no ties to Callaway , I've not bagged a Callaway driver since the FT-5 with the TP7hd. I've tried them all , just didn't work over what I was playing at the time. Hope once I get some solid on course data and some numbers , I can relay that info to the ones curious of the findings.

It's definitely a niche product , but it certainly has its place in the market for that group.

Best ,

Jason

Played my second round with the Mav Triple D. Weight set up - 8 front and 12 back, total headweight 199.5g. Drove the ball very well- I felt like I was middle of the fairway all round long. I still think the Epic Flash TD may be a bit longer. Next time out, I’ll bring both and see what happens. I will say the Mav TD is exceedingly straight. It is less fade biased, more forgiving, feels better, and sounds better than the Epic Flash TD, without a doubt. I hit a few bombs with it, but still haven’t hit one of the filthy long drives that I would get every so often with the EF TD.

Callaway Paradym Triple 💎 10.5* Ventus Blue 6X/TR 6S
Titleist TSR2 16.5* (Set to 15.75*) Tour AD DI 7S
Titleist TSR2 18* Hybrid Tour AD IZ 85S
Titleist u505 4i (21*) Tour AD DI 95S

Srixon Zx7 MK II 5-PW, 51* AW - Modus 105S
Callaway Jaws 56*-Jaws Full Toe 60*-  DG 115 TI S200

Toulon Garage Custom Las Vegas H7 35”

As close as I can get it:

EFTD- 8 front, 14 back, 199g total weight

MavTD- 8 front, 12 back, 199.5g Total weight

I don’t think it’s any longer than my 410+ but the feel and sound more than make up the magic 40 yards we were all hoping for, lol. The feel off the clubhead reminds me of my old ping eye 2 persimmon and titleist balata.
i have mine set at 44.75 with a pro blue. 2 up front, 12 in the back and decided to frankestein it up by putting enough lead tape out on the toe to get head weight up to 199.8. Not ocd enough to pinch an extra .2g of tape on it......
it’s place is safe in the bag after this weekend. My worst drive was left side of the fairway. This is a driver i can swing hard.
note: let’s see how well this ages in the “bag set for 2021” thread next year.....

Ordered a 10.5 through my club pro shop and had it in about a week.  TA aerial with the COR white dot on the face.  Actual loft is 10 degrees with a head weight of 199.6.  Requested a 12 gram weight and a 8 gram weight but came with 8 and 8. I had also ordered weights (16, 12, and 10) from Billy Bob’s and put the 16 in the rear and left an 8 up front.

Hit a few balls with the HZRDUS Smoke 70 but switched to my Tensei Blue mainly because I’ve been using a Tour Velvet Align midsize.  Played 9 holes and hit it 3 times with my drive on the 9th being absolutely roasted.

Early thoughts are I may want a heavier weight up front, maybe the 12 and leave the 16 in the rear.  The few balls I hit with the Smoke I liked as I really went after a couple of them which resulted in a slight draw.  Gonna throw a midsize grip on and experiment a little more.  Feels good and sounds great, just a solid thwack.

In the Bag:

Driver: 10.5 Epic Speed Graphite Design AD-ITZ 60

Fairway Wood: 15 Epic Speed Graphite Design AD-ITZ 70

Fairway Wood: 19 Epic Flash Tensei Blue 75

Irons: Apex Pro '19 4-AW, Aerotech Steelfiber 95

Wedges: 54 MD4 and 58 '19 PM Grind 

Grips: Tour Velvet Jumbo

Putter: Odyssey MXM 9 HT

Balls: Chrome soft Triple Track

Ok - revisiting my post above about being unsure about my EFSZ Triple Diamond.  My face caved on my regular EFSZ and so I have been forced to spend more time on the actual golf course (and not just a launch monitor) with the TD.  I am now thoroughly sold on this thing.  Further proof that launch monitors are only somewhat relevant.  I have found it to be just as long and much straighter than the retail.  Bad shots seem to be higher, spin more and curve less (as advertised).  I’ll definitely continue to keep playing this now and see where it goes.  Really wish a Mavrik was in the cards, but as a lefty I’d say that’s highly doubtful until it shows up on eBay whenever the next generation comes out.  

6 minutes ago, CallawayLefty said:

Ok - revisiting my post above about being unsure about my EFSZ Triple Diamond.  My face caved on my regular EFSZ and so I have been forced to spend more time on the actual golf course (and not just a launch monitor) with the TD.  I am now thoroughly sold on this thing.  Further proof that launch monitors are only somewhat relevant.  I have found it to be just as long and much straighter than the retail.  Bad shots seem to be higher, spin more and curve less (as advertised).  I’ll definitely continue to keep playing this now and see where it goes.  Really wish a Mavrik was in the cards, but as a lefty I’d say that’s highly doubtful until it shows up on eBay whenever the next generation comes out.  

I’d say, the only real thing you are missing out on vs the Mavrik is better sound and feel.  I own both. Performance wise the Mavrik May be a touch more forgiving and not fade biased like the EF SZ TD, but in playing multiple rounds head to head, Id say the EF SZ is definitely longer, at least in my hands.  

• 2 weeks later...

Mine come with a 2g and 14g weight. I have my other woods at D6 and the driver felt a little light so I ordered a 6g aftermarket weight. Putting the 6g in front and 14g in the back, really transformed the driver for me. The sound improved, the feel became much more solid and dispersion tightened up. Now it is pretty much perfect for me.

• Like 1

Ai Smoke ♦️♦️♦️ 9* Ventus TR Blue 6x

Mizuno STG 15* Ventus Blue 7x

TSR3 18* Ventus TR Red 7x
TSR3 24* IZ 95x
Ping Blueprint S 5-PW $-Taper 120

PING S159 50, 55, 60h 
Phantom X 5

48 minutes ago, Rogtsaamokin66 said:

Adding a 6g weight to front for a event. 14g back.   What should I expect?   

For me, it resulted in better control, more consistency and a bit more solid feel. No clue on launch and spin. 

• Thanks 1

Ai Smoke ♦️♦️♦️ 9* Ventus TR Blue 6x

Mizuno STG 15* Ventus Blue 7x

TSR3 18* Ventus TR Red 7x
TSR3 24* IZ 95x
Ping Blueprint S 5-PW $-Taper 120

PING S159 50, 55, 60h 
Phantom X 5

On 8/25/2020 at 11:17 PM, CallawayLefty said:

So I’m pretty excited. This showed up on the doorstep this week. Looking forward to the rain clearing out so I can get on TrackMan and get some numbers 6F0F4E50-C5F1-4020-83E2-391656EBDB50.jpeg.ca2104cf8dd235bea9a9ffedfa14b606.jpeg

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond  USTMamiya LIN-Q Blue 6F5
Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond  15*  USTMamiya LIN-Q Red  7F5
Callaway Apex UW 19*  USTMamiya LIN-Q Blue  8F5
Callaway Apex Pro 24*  USTMamiya LIN-Q Black 105F5
Callaway Apex Pro CB 5-11 USTMamiya Recoil Dart V 130 F5
Callaway MD5 Jaws Black 56W, 60LW
Odyssey Toulon Stroke Lab Las Vegas H7
Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

2 minutes ago, CallawayLefty said:

That post hurts my heart a little.  Are you Akshay Bhatia's cousin or something?

Something like that ?

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond  USTMamiya LIN-Q Blue 6F5
Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond  15*  USTMamiya LIN-Q Red  7F5
Callaway Apex UW 19*  USTMamiya LIN-Q Blue  8F5
Callaway Apex Pro 24*  USTMamiya LIN-Q Black 105F5
Callaway Apex Pro CB 5-11 USTMamiya Recoil Dart V 130 F5
Callaway MD5 Jaws Black 56W, 60LW
Odyssey Toulon Stroke Lab Las Vegas H7
Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

Has anyone added hot melt to theirs? I know that the weights can be manipulated, but was curious if anyone added hotmelt and it muted the sound? I cannot stand the sound of this this thing! Please anyone with thoughts let me know. 

TaylorMade Qi10 9 - Hzrdus Smoke Hulk 70 TX

Taylormade Qi10 15 - Ventus TR Black 8X

Ping G430 4 & 5 Hybrid - Accra TZ5 95 HY M5

Titleist T150 5- PW DGTI Mid X100

Cleveland RTX6 Tour Rack 48,52,56, 60 Oban CT 125X

Scotty Cameron X5 (Knuckle LongNeck Conversion)

14 hours ago, EDWARDSR said:

Has anyone added hot melt to theirs? I know that the weights can be manipulated, but was curious if anyone added hotmelt and it muted the sound? I cannot stand the sound of this this thing! Please anyone with thoughts let me know. 

Mine has a bunch of hotmelt added, and I'm in love with the sound.

I'm coming from an Epic Flash SZ that I also (eventually) had hot melted too. The difference is night and day.

It's still not quite the wood bat crack of a Sim, but it's a hell of a lot better than my old driver.

Titleist TSR3 8* Ventus TR Red 
Titleist TSR3 16.5* Evenflow T1100

Callaway Apex UW 21*

Titleist T350 4 T200 5 T150 6-9 Accra iSeries 125

Titleist Vokey SM9 46*F (@45) / 50*F / 56*D (@55*) / 60*M DG TI X100
SC Super Select Squareback 2

40 minutes ago, blakehall said:

Mine has a bunch of hotmelt added, and I'm in love with the sound.

I'm coming from an Epic Flash SZ that I also (eventually) had hot melted too. The difference is night and day.

It's still not quite the wood bat crack of a Sim, but it's a hell of a lot better than my old driver.

Thank you so much for the feedback! Appreciate your time

TaylorMade Qi10 9 - Hzrdus Smoke Hulk 70 TX

Taylormade Qi10 15 - Ventus TR Black 8X

Ping G430 4 & 5 Hybrid - Accra TZ5 95 HY M5

Titleist T150 5- PW DGTI Mid X100

Cleveland RTX6 Tour Rack 48,52,56, 60 Oban CT 125X

Scotty Cameron X5 (Knuckle LongNeck Conversion)

• 3 months later...

So given we're at the end of life for the Mavrik TD - anyone have parting thoughts after playing it to conclusion?  Anyone planning to stick with it over the new Epic Speed (powered by Monster Energy and sponsored by X Box)?

Since getting a PRGR Launch Monitor - I've come to the conclusion that It's a good head - but offers very little forgiveness across the face.  Might look to move to something new for that reason alone.

Anyone else find this thing relatively unforgiving?

SIM2 Graphite Design Ventus TR 60X

PXG Gen 3, Project X

Epic 3w/5w/4h - Tour AD-DI

Wedgeworks SM8 55D / 60T

Scotty Cameron T22 FB