2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Arenapoutine's WITB

Hello GolfWRX! Seasoned lurker who finally made an account and figured a WITB would be a good place to start.

Background on me as a golfer - currently an 8 handicapper, first year with an actual handicap. I'm in my mid-20s, played 40-50 rounds/year through high school and early college but dropped down to play 5-10 times a year over the last few years just doing other life stuff. With COVID I'm getting back into golf seriously again and have got a dozen or so rounds in already in balmy Minnesota this spring.

I'm upgrading my bag with the convenience of having a used golf retailer very close to me with good prices, so trying to stay cheap while maximizing performance. I've already replaced my old driver, fairway, and hybrids this spring with what you see below at a total cost of about $600. At only one product cycle behind (and current with the TS2 fairway) I'm very happy. Downside is with COVID, I'm unable to use their simulators to actually test these before I bought them and see my numbers, so I took a series of educated guesses and will go back, test these against what else is out there, and exchange if necessary once it's safe to do so. (For reference, I believe my driver swing speed is around 102-105mph.)Ping G400 Max 9 degree - Tour 65 shaft, stiff, loft set to the big plus

The goal is forgiveness and all roads led me to the G400 Max. I'm pretty happy with the forgiveness, and very pleased with the distance. Coming from an R11, I'm going from 260-265 on a good day to 280. I still struggle with some big misses, but I'm well aware it's my swing and I'm not blaming the club. Fooling around on the range I moved the loft to all the way up and really liked the performance on mishits low on the face. On the course I'm finding I actually gained distance on all strikes, so I'm just leaving it. Really would like to try the G410 head against this, other shaft options, and against Epic Flash/TS2/F9/etc. Titleist TS2 15 degree fairway wood - Project X Hzrdus 70, stiff

Picked up last week, goes about 240-245. Very happy with the speed and forgiveness, especially as I was coming from an R11 17 degree 4 wood.Titleist 818H1 19 degree hybrid - Project X Even Flow 85, stiffTitleist 818H1 23 degree hybrid - Tensei CK 70, stiff

I'm a little salty my retailer didn't have the same shafts available in these hybrids, but went with what I understood to be similar profile shafts. Was a bit harder to find a 23, but I really don't like hitting long irons and am happy knowing I can adjust lofts on these if needed.Taylormade M2 2017 Irons - 6-AW, Reax Steel by FST 88, stiff

This is the biggest question mark in my set, for multiple reasons.

-- I struggle to find an answer as to why a player like myself should switch to a smaller cavity back or a blade-style iron with a bit of forgiveness. I've caught a bit of flak from my buddies for playing these and I'm not sure why. For a player like me - 8 handicapper (though it's been a pretty rough spring, likely closer to 5-6 in midseason form) who hits a 6 iron 200 yards, would I gain anything by moving to a slightly less forgiving iron category? I don't struggle much on fat/thin shots or getting the ball into the air, mostly right/left misses. I hit the ball a mile in the air with these irons and they land soft and behave nice on the greens, so no issues there. I don't care about feel or acoustics (at the risk of sounding blasphemous), nor do I care about workability - I just want the ball to go high and straight. Am I missing something? Perhaps I should start a discussion thread on this elsewhere asking why low to mid handicappers don't play more forgiving irons, as I want to know more on this subject.

--I just noticed the face on my 6 iron was partially caved in, and starting to on the 7 iron. Looks like a known problem on the 2017 M2s. Sucks, I've only had them a year. Submitted a claim to Taylormade and we'll see what happens.

Since the lofts are jacked so strong I feel like I'm fine carrying just a 6 iron as my strongest club (at 25 degrees, lol). I have a 5 iron I can put in the bag on windy days but rarely do. I slightly tweaked the gaps in my PW/AW - PW from 43.5 to 43 and AW from 49 to 48 to better align with my 52/56/60 wedge yardage gaps. Cleveland RTX-3 - 52, 56 degree

Pretty happy with these wedges. I use 56 for pretty much everything around the greens up to 95-100 yards. Cleveland CG14 - 60 degree

This is my next upgrade - never loved this wedge and at this age it's time for a replacement. Looking at a Taylormade hi-toe with low bounce or something along those lines to help with tight high shots around the greens, as I'm finding the 12 degrees of bounce on this hurts me on firmer lies where I need to elevate the ball. I never use a full swing with a 60 so not concerned about low bounce or turf interaction on that front.Odyssey 2 Ball - 34 inches, Super Stroke Slim 3.0

It's not broke, so I'm not fixing it. (At least until I catch something that really suits my eye...)

img-4698-jpg.jpg

img-1560-jpg.jpg

• Like 1

Ping G430 LST, 9, Ventus Blue 6S

Titleist TS2, 15, Hzrdus Smoke Black 70, 6.0

Apex UW, 19, AD-DI 8S

Srixon ZX, 23

Ping i230, 5-PW, Modus 120x

Ping S159, 48.12 S (at 49)

Vokey SM10, 54.12 D

Vokey SM9, 60.12 D (at 59)

Odyssey Triple Track Ten S, 34"

Z-Star Diamond 

Nice set up. As regards not chaning your irons; don't change them if they work. I play with an old Titleist forged 804 set of irons; love them since they are forgiving and feel great. While I don't hit my 6 iron 200 yds (these are traditional lofts, lol), I can work the ball both ways when needed and flight it low to battle the Texas wind. I also liked that you adjusted your iron lofts to gap your wedges right; looks like you know your game well.

Thanks for sharing.

Driver: TM M-3 Tensei CK Blue 65 S

3-wood: Tour Edge CB2 15deg

Hybrids: Tour Edge 3-hybrid (18deg), TM Rbz 4-hybrid (22deg)

Irons: Titleist forged 804 with NSPro steel shafts

Wedges: 50deg Sub 70 forged, 54deg Cleveland RTX6, 58deg Cleveland 9deg bounce

Putter: Odyssey #4 with SS grip

Ball: Srixon Q-Star Tour 

Thanks for the kind words! The M2s work well enough - I really like the similar distance I get on mishits and don't have much of a need to work left and right. But with the caving in face on the 6 (nothing back from Taylormade after a day) I'm fearful I'll have to switch sooner rather than later. Enough lurking of these forums and watching TXG videos nonstop has me curious as to what else is out there :) Thinking an older set of Titleist AP1s (I really liked how they looked when I picked up my M2s last year) or Srixon 500 series 1-2 product cycles back? I'm certainly open to going to something less GI or SGI and in that players/GI hybrid category, but I'm just not sure what I could gain (spin maybe?), and fear I would lose forgiveness across the board. Even with the M2s, I can hit knockdown 6 irons off the tee when needed and don't really have a problem with the ball ballooning or staying too high.

As far as lofts, I had a 6 degree gap between PW and 52 degree for many years, and it killed me as my home course has a lot of 125-140 yard shots. I made darn sure getting those M2s and new wedges last year I wouldn't have a gap like that again. :) On getting new irons above, I want to make sure I'd get something that either is 5-PW with weaker lofts, or 6-AW with stronger lofts, so I don't have to take out a hybrid or a wedge. That will be a strong consideration as I don't plan on getting new wedges (other than probably a 60) in the next year or two, the RTX 3s only have about 15-20 rounds on them.

Apex UW, 19, AD-DI 8S

Srixon ZX, 23

Vokey SM10, 54.12 D

Z-Star Diamond 

Update: Taylormade hit me back and is sending out a set of their Sim Max irons to replace the M2s. Boom! Amazing customer service. They went from losing me as a customer of their irons to a big fan in the span of a few minutes. I'm very happy.

That being said - research and reviews look like these irons are for the player who has trouble launching the ball and going far (even more than the M2), and with my current 6 iron going 195-200 and 7 iron at low 180s, will I be losing anything by playing the Sim Maxes? I still love the forgiveness and want to play something in that realm, and am honestly excited about the Sim Maxes. I just want to make sure I'm not shooting myself in the foot, unknowingly, by playing these really really hot and distance focused GI irons when distance isn't really what I care about. (Maybe another thread is appropriate for this discussion and the lower/mid handicappers playing GI irons, forgive me if a WITB thread is not the place for this.)

Apex UW, 19, AD-DI 8S

Srixon ZX, 23

Vokey SM10, 54.12 D

Z-Star Diamond 

Love the GI irons. You should search for the infamous "Low capper playing G25" thread, it went on for DAYS.

Hows the size of that Titleist FW? I've been struggling to find a FW I really like, I want a face depth somewhere between a SIM (too deep) and a G410 (too shallow). I just recently put my 915hd hybrid back in the bag and prefer for my FW/Hybrids to match up so this is on the radar.

G430 LST 10.5* - G430 Max 15* - Cobra Baffler 17.5*- Sub 70 Pro 20* & 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58*  - F22

I love the size. I haven't tried the fairways you're referencing, but the TS2 feels like a very good balance of deep enough but not oversized. It feels very comfortable off the tee, and easy to get elevated off the deck.

Apex UW, 19, AD-DI 8S

Srixon ZX, 23

Vokey SM10, 54.12 D

Z-Star Diamond 

6/4/20 update -Callaway PM Grind 19 - stock KBS shaft, 60/12

The CG14 60 needed to go and I was stuck between the Taylormade original Hi-Toe and the 19 PM grind. I only use L wedge for bunkers and specialty shots around the greens, really only to get out of jams, and never use it for anything more than ~30 yards. Basically any stock shot from 6 feet to 100 yards that has at least a decent lie and doesn't require super high ball flight I'm very comfortable with my 56, so going the specialty route with the PM grind for weird stuff around the greens seemed like the play. I end up hitting a lot of greenside stuff off the toe so I love the extra grooves. And, got a deal on it for $120 new, so made it an easy decision over the Hi-Toe.Ping Ketsch Mid - 33", Ping PP60 grip

Accidentally ordered the smaller mid version over the standard Ketsch head, lol, but so far I'm really liking it. Enough alignment, heavy feel, and looks lovely at address. Might trade it in for a full size Ketsch once my local shop opens up their exchange program in July but so far I'm happy with it.

At this point, not a single club in my bag now was in my bag at this time last year (and have the Sim Max irons coming). Very happy with this setup. No more blaming clubs for shots I can't hit or high scores. :)

img-1527-jpg.jpg

Apex UW, 19, AD-DI 8S

Srixon ZX, 23

Vokey SM10, 54.12 D

Z-Star Diamond 

I think you made the right call on the PM over the HT. I've had both (the OG PM) and the PM was way better for me. Not sure if its the grind or the offset or what. I ended up going back to just a normal lob though because I do use it for full swings up to about 90 yards and just could not get the hang of the PM with a full swing.

G430 LST 10.5* - G430 Max 15* - Cobra Baffler 17.5*- Sub 70 Pro 20* & 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58*  - F22

Thanks! I'm feeling the same way. I tried hitting full shots on the range and the divots I was taking were insane, I just don't trust that turf interaction in a real world situation on the course. However, it's been an absolute delight around the greens, I feel like I can get up and down from anywhere with how high and soft the shots land. I'm finding I can hit it from ~60 yards and in if I'm in the first cut or rough, probably only 30ish from a fairway lie though. In any case I'm fine and comfortable with 56 from outside of that so it's not an issue. Working out well, I'm happy with the purchase.

EDIT: Got my Sim Maxes from Taylormade! Excited to have a 6 iron that doesn't lose 40 yards on a toe strike because of a caved in face, caused me to have a triple in an otherwise pretty good round yesterday. Not sure if these will be the right fit for me, but excited to give them a spin as long as Taylormade had the courtesy of sending me a brand new set. :) Thought these would be bulkier than they are, but they almost seem slimmer than my old M2s. Really good looking clubs. Excited to take these out on the course tomorrow.

(Unrelated, but I set my headcover lofts at 13.5, 27, and 27 to see if anyone would notice. No one has said anything... yet.)

img-0858-jpg.jpg

Apex UW, 19, AD-DI 8S

Srixon ZX, 23

Vokey SM10, 54.12 D

Z-Star Diamond 

• 4 weeks later...

What up with those lofts on the headcovers? LOL

• Like 1

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

• 1 month later...

Like a true WRXer, here's an update to the WITB with a ton of new clubs ? I got fitted! Paid for a full bag fitting with a fitter in my area, very happy with the results. I planned to get everything used after, but that didn't exactly work out as I had hoped... Oh well. I'm really happy with my bag, and I've been telling people around me to punch me in the jaw if I keep buying clubs next year. We'll see how that goes. ?

Driver: Sim Max, 9 degrees, Hzrdus Smoke Yellow 60, 6.0 (Previous Ping G400 Max 9 degree - Tour 65 shaft, stiff)

I thought the G400 Max was the play at the beginning of the year, just looking to cut down on penalties and find fairways. I was happy with it, but it just didn't seem to go as far as I would have liked, in the 250-260 range (I'm ~103 SS). Some drives that I would catch on the top of the face would go like 300, and I'd be more surprised than anything. During the fitting, I found out I was spinning it way too much - close to 3000RPM, carry 250 on Trackman. Had no idea. My miss is on the heel, so that wasn't helping things either. 

I was almost set on a G410 before I walked in and told my fitter that. He let me try both the Plus and the LST in a couple different shafts (Tensei Orange, Diamana 60) and I just couldn't get along with it. Tried a Mavrik with the Aldila Rogue and couldn't keep it on the driving range. Switched to the Sim Max and started hitting high, straight bombs, carrying 265-270. No issues with dispersion, spin around 2300RPM. I told the guy before my fitting, I tried Sim Max at a GG and couldn't get along with it but I'll keep an open mind. I'm glad I did! I wish I knew more about why the Smoke Yellow works so well for me, especially in regards to counterbalancing. But, I hit it well, so that's what's important, I guess. It's a legitimate 25 yards further on the course than my G400 Max. So happy with this driver. 

3 Wood: Titleist TS2 15 degree, Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black 70, 6.0

This didn't change. Carried a couple 3 woods 240, pretty straight, and fitter told me there isn't much that could beat its numbers. I tried the same head with a T1100 and dispersion seemed to improve a bit, but could have also been me getting used to it? Either way, changes weren't significant enough to warrant changing the shaft. I'm happy with this club and don't foresee it going anywhere. Plus, got it used for $110 at 2nd Swing at the beginning of the year. Not gonna beat that price for a current product cycle 3 wood. 

Hybrid: 818H1, 21 degree, Tensei White 90, S (previous - Titleist 818H1 19 degree hybrid - Project X Even Flow 85, stiff, & Titleist 818H1 23 degree hybrid - Tensei CK 70, stiff)

Wasn't getting along with my 19 degree hybrid before and was rarely carrying the 23 degree. Fitter told me the Even Flow was too whippy for me - while my SS isn't that fast, I have a pretty aggressive transition at the top and quick tempo. I told him I was scared to turn it over as I was hitting some hooks with it (even though I've been playing a cut most of this year) - he said I don't blame you, I would be scared to release that club too, haha. He ended up going to the 21 degree head to give me a bit more height and spin and fitting me into the T1100, I think at 85g? I didn't want to spend the money to get a new TS2 with that shaft, so I swapped my old hybrid at 2nd Swing (still under the free return period ? ) for the 21 degree Tensei White 90g, as it seemed to be a similar profile. It was even supposed to be the pro version, according to the website. Still not sure if that's true, I didn't regrip it myself so I don't know, but either way this hybrid feels a lot more under control than my last two 19 and 23 degree versions.

Irons: Callaway Apex Forged CF19, 5-AW, Nippon Modus 120 X (previous - Taylormade Sim Max, 5-AW, KBS Max 85g, Stiff)

This was most surprising. We started the fittings with irons and used the Mizuno shaft analyzer thing. I had a 7/10 for tempo - between that and my swing speed (85MPH 7 iron), he fit me into X flex iron shafts, which I was super surprised by. He said my previous irons - Taylormade sent them to me for free as M2 replacements, and I knew they weren't a perfect fit - were basically kids clubs relative to my swing. Lol. I was looking at i210s but other than that I didn't have a preference in irons. Tried T200, i210, z785, P790, Callaway CF19. He fit me into either the P790 with the Modus 120 X or the Callaway CF19 with KBS C Taper 120 X, as I hit both well and numbers were similar. I wasn't in love with the P790s - they seemed to go too far and spin seemed low. I liked everything about the CF19 more, but was slightly concerned about spin (5000rpm with a 7i). Fitter said it was largely the artificial turf and that I'd be good on the course, and said the Modus would be a slightly better/spinnier option than the C Taper. So far seems to be the case. I actually feel like I know where these irons are going on the course - I haven't felt that way with past irons, haha. 

There was a free Callaway fitting event at my local PGA SS two days after my iron fitting, so I went there for kicks and hit both the Mavrik Pro and the Apex. Didn't tell that dude I had just been fit, as I wanted to see what he had to say. He pretty much fit me into the same thing, so that helped quell the concern I had about low spin and added some validation to the fit. I really liked the Mavrik Pro heads, but with the shaft upcharge it would have been almost the same as CF19, so I went with those. 

Wedges: Cleveland RTX-3, 52 and 56 (bent to 50/8 and 54/9), Callaway PM Grind 19 60/12

This is a stopgap. I was like 4-5 degrees steep hitting sand wedges, so fitter told me I needed much wider soles on my wedges and the V-soles weren't doing me any favors in the RTX-3. Fair enough - he fit me into Callaway MD5s. On my second session with him, I asked about Ping Glides, as I've heard super good things about those and am more interested in those for their wet condition performance and forgiveness. He told me they'd be a good fit too - but I can't get them! They're out of stock everywhere. Rather than waiting a month to get them and having the season be over, I'm just going to wait until next spring for wedges, and got my old ones bent. I got my Apex PW and AW bent from 43 and 48 to 42.5 and 46.5 respectively, so I could move to 50 and 54 degree wedges - however, I didn't account for not being able to get my wedges so had to bend the Clevelands. I'm honestly surprised it's working, I thought with me being so steep and removing two degrees of bounce I'd start hitting shots fat but that hasn't been the case. Still have the PM Grind 19 for my lob wedge. Not sold on it, but it works fine. I think it'd be nice to have an L wedge I could hit more than 40 yards if I want to - I don't trust this outside of about that number - but around the greens, the versatility is nice. 

Putter: Odyssey Triple Track Ten S, 34"  (Previous: Odyssey White Hot 2 Ball, 34", and Ping Ketsch Mid, 33")

This putter had zero appeal to me until I hit it. Alignment was dumb easy and the ball rolled to the hole really smooth. I told my fitter I was trying to putt SBST, but the SAM lab quickly proved I wasn't doing that at all.... I told him I miss putts right most often, and he said, well, you have a face-balanced putter, and a Super Stroke grip - two reasons why it's harder for the face to close, hence the right misses. A lightbulb clicked. Always thought I needed face-balancing, but I guess it's not for me. Tried a few different putters with moderate toe hang, but nothing rolled better than this (except maybe the LAB putter, but I couldn't get past the aesthetics). Fitter said I could use a blade or a mallet as long as the toe hang is right and it rolls well, but I know my stroke and need for alignment - told him I'll take all the help I can get on the course. I just got it and haven't tried it on the course yet but I'm really looking forward to it. Not totally sold on the triple track on the ball just yet, but I bought a 3-line ball marker on Amazon that seems to work well and not necessitate the need to move to a Callaway ball (which wasn't an option no matter what, lol). 

Long story short - get fitted if you can! I found out so much about my game, tendencies, etc. that I would have had no idea about otherwise. I'm confident with every club in my bag at this point (sans wedges, but those are coming). I better not be updating this thread too often going forward.... lol. 

IMG_0381.jpg.8419681e521a66ca2aea9ec84b69d03a.jpg

IMG_0382.jpg.26d2a615619ddd2769e7abb75f82baf3.jpg

IMG_0383.jpg.33a0d6a5070c025643025c95e3fd9ef5.jpg

IMG_0384.jpg.11f00fe97ed479444b0483e5d1155308.jpg

Edited by arenapoutine
added detail to wedge, putter sections

Apex UW, 19, AD-DI 8S

Srixon ZX, 23

Vokey SM10, 54.12 D

Z-Star Diamond 

• 2 months later...

End of season update - I have five new clubs since I played my last round. I'm a full-blown tinkerer/WRXer at this point 🤣 this is a dangerous site to spend time on.

IMG_0889.JPG

Ping G410LST, 9, Ventus Velocore Blue 6S

Picked this guy up off BST. I had been concerned my Sim Max was too light (I was right) and had done a good deal of demoing at PGA SS to find what worked. 410LST was hands down the best performer, specifically with the EF Black 75S shaft. That got me up to 159 ball speed at one point - most other head/shaft combos were topping out around 155 (Mavrik SZ got to 157, I think) including my existing Sim Max. I wanted the stability of the 410LST and I knew it performed really well for me, so worked out a trade on BST and now I get to stare at it all winter 🙃 so stoked to have this driver though. Will I still trade for a 425LST head at some point next year though???? I hope not, but probably, lol

Ping Glide 2.0 52.12/56.12, Jaws MD5 60.8

I was never too happy with my wedges and wanted something a bit more forgiving and retained some ball speed over traditional blade wedges. I'm not a great wedge player and will take all the help I can get. The PM Grind L wedge was just too specialty, I never felt comfortable with it except out of the bunker or trying to pull off a real high pitch so excited to go to a more traditional lob wedge.

Odyssey Stroke Lab One, 33.5", 380g

Bought a putting mat about a month and a half ago and had been wanting to experiment with a blade putter. Never had one but always wanted to use one. I've blown up my putting stroke and started from scratch with Gareth Raflewski's online school, just relearning fundamentals. My consistency at home has noticeably improved - and my one last round I was able to sneak in in early November proved it on the course as well. I still like the Triple Track 10 S and will likely use both next spring, swapping out the heavier head weights (25g each) in whatever putter I bring on the course. 

Finally feel like my bag is pretty well set! I'll probably keep making minor tweaks here and there but feel like I'm in a good spot. It's really funny looking back on my first WITB post, what I had vs. what I have now and how much I've learned about my own game & needs over the course of this year. 

Clubs unchanged:
3 Wood: Titleist TS2 15 degree, Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black 70, 6.0

Hybrid: 818H1, 21 degree (set to 20), Tensei Pro White 90, S

Irons: Callaway Apex Forged CF19, 5-AW, Nippon Modus 120 X

Edited by arenapoutine
  • Like 3

Apex UW, 19, AD-DI 8S

Srixon ZX, 23

Vokey SM10, 54.12 D

Z-Star Diamond 

• 1 month later...

Nice work here!!! You are now a true WRX’er. I’m looking forward to the future reviews.

Please tell me about the grind on your wedges.

Edited by Cwing
  • Like 1

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

Very nice setup...that’s a lot of changes for sure!! Looks like you’re ready to Rock & Roll!! So you feel like it was worthwhile to get fitted for the whole bag? Going to get fitted ASAP, but it costs $400 for a full bag here at the top local fitter...not sure I can spend that much when I’ll be buying new clubs too.

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Big Bertha 23 (19*) / Cally RCH 65 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland CBX (48*), RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

4 hours ago, Cwing said:

Nice work here!!! You have are now a true WRX’er. I’m looking forward to the future reviews.

Please tell me about the grind on your wedges.

Thank you! Finding golf equipment as a hobby, while expensive, has been a heck of a lot of fun. Great choice in irons too, btw 🙂

I have the standard sole on the Glide 2.0s, 52.12 and 56.12. I will likely bend these one, if not two degrees strong in the spring but not too worried about it for now. I'm playing my wedge shots a bit steeper and more aggressive than I was in earlier posts (I'm admittedly not a great wedge player) so I'm going to try ~11 or so degrees of bounce in these come springtime. I think that combined with the slightly wider sole and playing 52/56 with mostly full swing shots will work out alright.

I'm most excited about the Jaws 60.8. I play a course with super firm bunkers, a lot of times you need to treat the shot as a hardpan pitch, so I'm hoping this low bounce L wedge combined with the standard bounce, wider soled lower lofted wedges will allow me to hit everything I need to on the course. I was previously using the PM Grind 19 for bunker duty, which was great, but I'll likely revert to the Glide 56 there for softer bunkers. The C grind sole on the L wedge should hopefully allow versatility around the greens for when I need to open the face, and I don't plan on using 60 for anything more than ~40 or 50 yards, so I'm hoping it's a good balance between playable but enough relief for specialty shots. 

Edited by arenapoutine

Apex UW, 19, AD-DI 8S

Srixon ZX, 23

Vokey SM10, 54.12 D

Z-Star Diamond 

2 hours ago, BallerNate said:

Very nice setup...that’s a lot of changes for sure!! Looks like you’re ready to Rock & Roll!! So you feel like it was worthwhile to get fitted for the whole bag? Going to get fitted ASAP, but it costs $400 for a full bag here at the top local fitter...not sure I can spend that much when I’ll be buying new clubs too.

Thank you! I did feel like it was worth it at the time - that being said, I had never been fitted and never really used a launch monitor at that point. Knowing what I know now, I might just go to a PGA Superstore, use their simulators to know what I have going on in my current setup (I had no idea before), and demo clubs to see what I need to hit my optimal launch windows. I acknowledge that is not a possibility for everyone - and my local PGA Superstore is great with demoing clubs, something I did not know this summer. Alternatively, you could try what I did - pay the full bag fitting fee, and be open about not buying new clubs after the fitting and trying to source used. I asked this to my fitter before booking and he was cool with it and catered the fit toward cheaper clubs I could have a better chance sourcing secondhand. It wasn't perfect, but it still gave me a starting point for what works and what to look for. I hope that helps some! 

• Like 1

Apex UW, 19, AD-DI 8S

Srixon ZX, 23

Vokey SM10, 54.12 D

Z-Star Diamond 

1 hour ago, arenapoutine said:

Thank you! I did feel like it was worth it at the time - that being said, I had never been fitted and never really used a launch monitor at that point. Knowing what I know now, I might just go to a PGA Superstore, use their simulators to know what I have going on in my current setup (I had no idea before), and demo clubs to see what I need to hit my optimal launch windows. I acknowledge that is not a possibility for everyone - and my local PGA Superstore is great with demoing clubs, something I did not know this summer. Alternatively, you could try what I did - pay the full bag fitting fee, and be open about not buying new clubs after the fitting and trying to source used. I asked this to my fitter before booking and he was cool with it and catered the fit toward cheaper clubs I could have a better chance sourcing secondhand. It wasn't perfect, but it still gave me a starting point for what works and what to look for. I hope that helps some! 

Thanks...this definitely helps! Makes sense for sure. Unfortunately no PGA Superstores here in Canada, but will definitely keep that in mind for fittings. I’ll probably end up getting fitted for just the Driver, or Driver + Fairway Woods since I feel pretty good about my irons, wedges, and putter overall for now.

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

1 hour ago, BallerNate said:

Thanks...this definitely helps! Makes sense for sure. Unfortunately no PGA Superstores here in Canada, but will definitely keep that in mind for fittings. I’ll probably end up getting fitted for just the Driver, or Driver + Fairway Woods since I feel pretty good about my irons, wedges, and putter overall for now.

If you have never been fit before I would highly recommend it. Places like Modern Golf up in Canada waive the fitting fees once you purchase the equipment off them afterwards ( I believe its fully waived if spend is over $500 and they charge only $50 if you final purchase is less than $500.

• Thanks 1

Titleist TSR3 10 Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 65 X
Titleist TSR3 16.5 Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 75 X
Titleist TS3 19 Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0
Titleist 620 MB 4-9 6.0 Project X
Vokey SM9 46/50/54/58 6.0 Project X
Scotty Cameron Circle T Circa 62 #3 34"

3 minutes ago, Ray Ray Got Game said:

If you have never been fit before I would highly recommend it. Places like Modern Golf up in Canada waive the fitting fees once you purchase the equipment off them afterwards ( I believe its fully waived if spend is over $500 and they charge only $50 if you final purchase is less than $500.

Oh Ok, that sounds great...I’ll check them out for sure! I just heard about TXG or doing a fitting for Drivers at Golf Town, but I’ll check out Modern Golf for sure...thanks!

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

19 hours ago, BallerNate said:

Oh Ok, that sounds great...I’ll check them out for sure! I just heard about TXG or doing a fitting for Drivers at Golf Town, but I’ll check out Modern Golf for sure...thanks!

Definitely do, the guys at MG are a great bunch, they will get you sorted out!

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 10 Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 65 X
Titleist TSR3 16.5 Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 75 X
Titleist TS3 19 Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0
Titleist 620 MB 4-9 6.0 Project X
Vokey SM9 46/50/54/58 6.0 Project X
Scotty Cameron Circle T Circa 62 #3 34"

22 minutes ago, Ray Ray Got Game said:

Definitely do, the guys at MG are a great bunch, they will get you sorted out!

Sounds great, thanks! I filled out their fitting request form yesterday after I got your recommendation...hopefully can get an earlier appointment than with TXG!

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

23 minutes ago, BallerNate said:

Sounds great, thanks! I filled out their fitting request form yesterday after I got your recommendation...hopefully can get an earlier appointment than with TXG!

I can't speak for any fitters in Canada (I'm in Minnesota, US), but in a non-pandemic year I would have honestly flown to the GTA to get fit with TXG. I'm a big TXG YouTube fan as a disclaimer, the stuff they put out is so good. I'd trust pretty much anyone working for Ian. Good luck with whoever you go with, I've heard good things about Modern Golf as well! 

Edited by arenapoutine
  • Like 1

Apex UW, 19, AD-DI 8S

Srixon ZX, 23

Vokey SM10, 54.12 D

Z-Star Diamond 

1 minute ago, arenapoutine said:

I can't speak for any fitters in Canada, but in a non-pandemic year I would have honestly flown to the GTA to get fit with TXG. I'm a big TXG YouTube fan as a disclaimer, the stuff they put out is so good. I'd trust pretty much anyone working for Ian. Good luck with whoever you go with, I've heard good things about Modern Golf as well! 

Ok cool, good to know! Well, I’m on both waiting lists, so we’ll see how it goes. TXG said all their previous cancellations from the last 8 weeks will get first appointments, then they’ll start working on the waiting list. If they have to complete 8 weeks worth of backed up appointments, it’s going to be a looong wait to get in once they reopen! 😳

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

23 hours ago, arenapoutine said:

Nice setup.  Just curious about your wedge setup though...Apex PW is 45 degrees, A wedge is 50 or 51 degrees.  Then you go to a Ping 52 degree?  I have the Apex Pro 19 A wedge and I love it, took my MD5 Jaws 50 degree out of the bag.  Just wondering if you could eliminate either the Apex A wedge or Ping 52 and put in something else that fits your gap better?

In the Bag:

Driver: 10.5 Epic Speed Graphite Design AD-ITZ 60

Fairway Wood: 15 Epic Speed Graphite Design AD-ITZ 70

Fairway Wood: 19 Epic Flash Tensei Blue 75

Irons: Apex Pro '19 4-AW, Aerotech Steelfiber 95

Wedges: 54 MD4 and 58 '19 PM Grind 

Grips: Tour Velvet Jumbo

Putter: Odyssey MXM 9 HT

Balls: Chrome soft Triple Track

43 minutes ago, BC33 said:

Nice setup.  Just curious about your wedge setup though...Apex PW is 45 degrees, A wedge is 50 or 51 degrees.  Then you go to a Ping 52 degree?  I have the Apex Pro 19 A wedge and I love it, took my MD5 Jaws 50 degree out of the bag.  Just wondering if you could eliminate either the Apex A wedge or Ping 52 and put in something else that fits your gap better?

Thanks! So the PW stock is 43 and AW is 48 in the standard Apex 19, you might be thinking of the Apex Pros? I had these bent to 42.5 and 46.5 for even degree gaps in all my irons, so I really think of them as like a 9I and PW instead of PW/AW. So, right now there's a 5.5 degree gap from AW to 52, much bigger than I want especially from short iron to wedge, but I'm messing around in simulators all winter so not worried about it now. At some point this winter I'll do a wedge gapping session in the sim with PW/AW/52/56. I'll likely bend the 52/56 a degree strong to 51/55, and the PW to 43 and AW to 47, but will wait to do my gapping session to make sure this is really what I need.

Screen Shot 2020-12-29 at 2.08.15 PM.png

Edited by arenapoutine

Apex UW, 19, AD-DI 8S

Srixon ZX, 23

Vokey SM10, 54.12 D

Z-Star Diamond