Building irons with lightweight heads

I recently bought a set of JPX 900 Tour iron heads and realised that they are the lightweight version so approximately 10g lighter than the standard head weight so 250g 6iron.

I currently play the MP 69 with the KBS Tour S 120g shaft and golf pride tour wraps at 55g and standard length which I believe play at a D6 swing weight.

What is the best way to get the same feel as my current irons?

Can I simply reduce the weight of the shaft 10g to match the 10g head weight reduction and go to a KBS Tour-V S 110g shaft with the same 55g tour wraps to get a similar feel or will I need to also lighten the grip?

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Had same issue with the same heads. Used 5 gram tip weight and the rest lead tape on back of club.

"Only the lazy ones fail !" Paul Bertholy, PGA

[size=4]www.dougferreri.com[/size]

Don't mess with shaft weight, that will just mess up the static weight even more as well and wont improve the swing weight. Use tip weights to compensate.

I ran into the same issue with a set of JPX825 Pro... I fumbled around with all manner of counter-weighting, etc. Static weight got wonky, and my frustration grew proportionately. The clubs weren't playable by anyone not named Thor.

At the end of the day, tip weights or lead tape is the best solution. Tip weights would be my first choice, but lead tape is certainly less time consuming. Neither are particularly difficult.

TaylorMade M4 on Tour AD IZ
TaylorMade M4 Tour 3W on GD YS Reloaded
Titleist 816H 19*, 22*, 26* on Blue Board
Mizuno JPX 919 Pro (6i-pw) on Recoil
TM MG on Aldila VS Proto 100 (50*, 54*, 58*)
Bettinardi Studio Stock 28 Slotback
2020 Srixon Z Star