Ernest ES B1 Launch Monitor First Impressions

Being at home during our "stay at home" orders here in California, I decided to invest in some equipment, to get my game in order, and hope to drop a few strokes here or there when my club opens back up. For the past month and a half, I've purchased a net, hitting mats, various ball brands (I'm a worse Amazon ho than my wife), new wedges, all in the name of becoming a better ball striker. My net only has been providing limited feedback, I know when I'm striking well, but have no idea what my ball is doing. I did a lot of research on a mid range launch monitor that I could use outside and would give me some basic ball data. After looking at the normal suspects, Skytrack, etc., I settled on the Ernest ES B1 launch Monitor. It is a brand new model, and seemed simple enough to give me some basic ball data so I might be able to gain some perspective on what my ball was doing. After using for a few days, I'm pleasantly surprised with some of the information I'm getting with the unit, and it pretty much lines up with what I know my distances and swing speed to be. The unit measures the following:

Swing SpeedBall SpeedLaunch AngleSmash FactorSpin RateSo far it seems to give good measurements, and playing around with my G10 Lst Driver, changing weights, moving weights, changing lofts, etc. I am getting expected changes in spin, launch angles, etc., which is a good thing. Seeing spin and launch angles at home is a real treat. You can record your sessions get your averages and even email those to your coach or teaching pro. A few things to note before you purchase.

Ernest Sports is working on a full manual (they only have a quick start guide thats pretty good), but there is no full instruction manual yet.You have to program your club lofts and there is no setting for 1/2 degree differences in your irons (i have ping i500 Power Spec lofts so example my 8 iron loft is 33.5 but I can only program 32, 33, 34, etc.) I spoke to an Ernest support person and he assured me that 1/2 changes would not impact the the algorithm. I asked what would be better to use and he said go lower, so my programed 8 iron is 33). My distances line up pretty much with what I see on the course. They are not sure about the Shot Tracer App coming.The unit DOES NOT track direction. I thought it did before I bought. You choose your direction manually if you want and that will tie into your shot sessions.Firmware updates - The unit supposedly gets firmware updates through the ES B1 app in the IOS store. There IS NO android app yet so if you dont have iPhone or iPad you only use the unit screen, which is a little hard to read in very bright sunlight. I'm not sure how you're supposed to update if you do not own iOS.So far so good, I'm really enjoying seeing my numbers. I have already tweaked some driver settings that I have been using for a long time. Example, I've been using 14g weight in my G10 and went to 18g and went up in loft and my numbers look way better than what I was gaming,. I'm going to keep this setting when I play this weekend for the first time and see what damage I've done. Anyway hopes this helps anyone considering buying one, it's a fun device, I'll need to take it to the driving range when it opens and really see if I'm getting accurate information.

• Like 1

curious what you mean by "They are not sure about the Shot Tracer App coming."

Callaway Epic Subzero 9.5° [i]Oban Devotion 65-04[/i]
Tour Edge Exotics XCG-7 15° [i]Oban Devotion 75-04[/i]
Miura 1957 Small Blades 3-PW [i]Nippon Modus 125S[/i]
Titleist Vokey SM5 52.08 [i]KBS Tour 120S[/i]
Titleist Vokey SM5 58.07 [i]KBS Tour 120S[/i]
Scotty Cameron Select Newport 34"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I did! I was out of town and just used it for the first time yestetcay. I want to use it a few more times before providing a review, but so far I'm very impressed. It's very easy to use and gives accurate info. I used 3 clubs, Driver and 7 and 9 iron, and didn't see a anything that looked out of line, i 'll follow up with more next week.

I had a chance to use the ESB1 on the range the other night, and I"m very glad that I have it. I wanted a unit that also measures spin, and based on a Trackman session I had a while back, it's very close to what I'm seeing from this unit. Most of the time has been spent with the driver, but I've also hit a good number of balls with irons 6-9 and partial swings with the PW and GW. The distance and swing speed are accurate for all. It's extremely easy to use and set up with each session, and the app is also very easy to use. I did the Tour comparison with the LPGA and PGA stats on a few shots, and it records the numbers, and places the Tour numbers in Red below your numbers in each category.

The only hiccup that I had was the other night, I had 3 shots with the 6i and 2 with the 8i that did not register. This did not happen during the first session. so I stopped, gave it a little time, re-positioned the unit, and it worked again with no other issues. I also hit 4-5 shots with the 7 iron yesterday before playing, and it registered all of them with no issues.

I hope this helps!

Does anyone know if the spin rate is estimated or actual?

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Cobra Forged Tec X 5 - PW KBS TGI 85 stiff shafts
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48* & Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

Thanks. Mevo doesn't do spin without a metalic sticke, I presume SB1 doesn't have any of that requirement?

Anymore reviews on the B1?

From a spin point of view, this LM looks good for a $550 unit.

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Cobra Forged Tec X 5 - PW KBS TGI 85 stiff shafts
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48* & Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

• 1 month later...
On 5/28/2020 at 6:36 AM, ctonylee65 said:

Being at home during our "stay at home" orders here in California, I decided to invest in some equipment, to get my game in order, and hope to drop a few strokes here or there when my club opens back up. For the past month and a half, I've purchased a net, hitting mats, various ball brands (I'm a worse Amazon ho than my wife), new wedges, all in the name of becoming a better ball striker. My net only has been providing limited feedback, I know when I'm striking well, but have no idea what my ball is doing. I did a lot of research on a mid range launch monitor that I could use outside and would give me some basic ball data. After looking at the normal suspects, Skytrack, etc., I settled on the Ernest ES B1 launch Monitor. It is a brand new model, and seemed simple enough to give me some basic ball data so I might be able to gain some perspective on what my ball was doing. After using for a few days, I'm pleasantly surprised with some of the information I'm getting with the unit, and it pretty much lines up with what I know my distances and swing speed to be. The unit measures the following:

Swing SpeedBall SpeedLaunch AngleSmash FactorSpin RateSo far it seems to give good measurements, and playing around with my G10 Lst Driver, changing weights, moving weights, changing lofts, etc. I am getting expected changes in spin, launch angles, etc., which is a good thing. Seeing spin and launch angles at home is a real treat. You can record your sessions get your averages and even email those to your coach or teaching pro. A few things to note before you purchase.

Ernest Sports is working on a full manual (they only have a quick start guide thats pretty good), but there is no full instruction manual yet.You have to program your club lofts and there is no setting for 1/2 degree differences in your irons (i have ping i500 Power Spec lofts so example my 8 iron loft is 33.5 but I can only program 32, 33, 34, etc.) I spoke to an Ernest support person and he assured me that 1/2 changes would not impact the the algorithm. I asked what would be better to use and he said go lower, so my programed 8 iron is 33). My distances line up pretty much with what I see on the course. They are not sure about the Shot Tracer App coming.The unit DOES NOT track direction. I thought it did before I bought. You choose your direction manually if you want and that will tie into your shot sessions.Firmware updates - The unit supposedly gets firmware updates through the ES B1 app in the IOS store. There IS NO android app yet so if you dont have iPhone or iPad you only use the unit screen, which is a little hard to read in very bright sunlight. I'm not sure how you're supposed to update if you do not own iOS.So far so good, I'm really enjoying seeing my numbers. I have already tweaked some driver settings that I have been using for a long time. Example, I've been using 14g weight in my G10 and went to 18g and went up in loft and my numbers look way better than what I was gaming,. I'm going to keep this setting when I play this weekend for the first time and see what damage I've done. Anyway hopes this helps anyone considering buying one, it's a fun device, I'll need to take it to the driving range when it opens and really see if I'm getting accurate information.

Thank you for great summary, very helpful.

• 4 months later...

Hi there, well it's Jan. 2021 and you've had this unit for about 6 months. How are things going with the ES B1 thus far? Has it helped you improve your game? Have you had any technical issues with it? Thanks in advance. 

Driver: Taylormade M3 10.5 with Fujikura Speeder Evolution III

5 Wood: Callaway XR (stock shaft)

3H: Taylormade M2 (stock shaft)

4H: Taylormade M2 (stock shaft)

5W-PW: Callaway Diablo Forged (uniflex)

Wedges: 50, 54, 58 Ping Glide 3.0 SS (stock shaft)

Putter: Ping Redwood Piper S

Balls: Taylormade TP5/5X - Practice

Golf bag: Ping Hoofer Lite 2020

Laser Rangefinder: Callaway 300 Pro with slope

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Did you try Shot Tracer yet? I'm playing a lot better after some off time. ES B1 really helped my build out my woods this year. Being able to dial in the right numbers with the help of ES actually worked for me. I'm playing all Ping G425 woods and ES helped me get the best numbers with different shafts, weights, and loft.