2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Should rabbits get the first tee times? Yes a rant

Dave answered this.... It is because it is not a separate lottery for each hour slot, it is one lottery for the whole day. just because there are more people who want an 8-9 slot than tee times available doesnt mean youre SOL if by the time you get selected all the tee times in your preference are gone. You still get a tee time as close as possible to your preference. If that time does not work for you then you can just forego golfing that day,

What would you prefer, to be locked out of tee times for the day? I realize you didn't read (or at least didn't respond to) that part of my answer, but that is the other way of running such a lottery. And as I said before, that is even more unfair.

You should ask your club how they do the lottery and have them explain it to you. I posted earlier in this thread about a course I played and how they did the lottery. They first did it one way then refined it to another.

It does not sound like your lottery is a separate lottery for each time block.

If you are only interested in the first time block then maybe you should tell them if you do not get selected in the first time block they should not consider you for any later time blocks.

So if 6 people ask for 9:00-10:00 they should be bumped because someone at 8:00-9:00 didn't get their spot? I'd be livid if my 9:00-10:00 spot with only 6 people requesting it was bumped to 11:00 or later to accommodate the 8:00-9:00 who didn't get that hour. That is so wrong, I don't know where to start.

How can you still not understand how a lottery works?

The people who don't get their slot have to go somewhere. If the 8-9 slot is over subscribed then why shouldn't they get a shot at the 9-10 slot?

Has your course actually given an explanation of how the system works?

• Like 1

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

This is exhausting. I feel like the story has changed like 9 times, but at the end of the day OP wants his first tee time and everyone else can cram it.

Not sure why I keep coming back and commenting or even reading, but I guess it is like watching a train wreck, never sure what might come next....

• Like 1

Under non-tournament conditions, there is no reason to take more than 4 hours to play a round of golf. My 10yr old son and I played (walking) yesterday in under 3:20. We had a 3rd join us at the turn and play the back nine with us too. We putt everything out, take proper drops, etc. How people can take 4+ hours to play in carts (cart path only being an exception) absolutely baffles me.

I will ask one more time. Do you think it is fair that perhaps 9 (of the 15) groups who asked for the 8 to 9 time slot should be excluded from playing golf on a particular day? Say that, by some weird chance, the first 8 selections in the lottery have all asked for 8-9. Rather than slot the groups chosen #7 and #8 into the first available slot, you believe they should be excluded.

So I just went through a USGA study on pace of play and methods to increase. The link is below.

Some key takeaways I found; the ideal length of a round is just under 4 hours (3:54), I assume this is where most courses make the PoP suggestions at 4.

When asked what causes delays in PoP, about 30% say it's all on the group in front.

Golf course management does not think there's a real issue with PoPhttps://www.usga.org/content/dam/usga/images/pace%20of%20play/trackingresearch.pdf

because asking for a particular hour slot is giving your preference. that is all. the only point in the club asking is so that when you are selected they can put you in your preference IF it is still available. on the flip side, just because someones preference is to play earlier in the day, they very well might be perfectly ok with a tee time later in the day if their preferred tee time it unavailable

• Like 1

And I will ask you.... If you have asked 9:00-10:00 and there were only 6 in that time slot, you'd be fine being pushed out by those who did not get the earlier tee times? Seems if only 6 asked for 9:00-10:00 they should all be accommodated. Again there seems to be no clear answer. Yes if you didn't win your "lottery" then look and find an opening when the tee sheet is posted.

The good news is we are now starting 7:30 so only 1 hour later (30 minutes weekdays).

YES, because that is exactly how a lottery system works. you are saying your top preference is to be in that time slot IF when you are selected there are still opening available in that time frame. You are the only person in this thread that does not think there is a clear answer. Glad your club is expanding tee times, hopefully it will improve your situation

And again how did I get a 9:20 tee off time then without bumping someone out of the that tee slot when more then 6 were in that slot...... Again 15 request 8:00-9:00, 8 request 9:00-10:00. I was one of the 15, didn't get my 8:00-9:00, but 9:20..... Seems unfair.

This Saturday 13 want 7:30-8:30, 11 8:30-9:30 & 6 9:30-10:30..... If I don't get 7:30-8:30, should my first opportunity be 10:30-11:30 with the next two hours booked solid???

Pretend I'm a simpleton....

Nothing is booked solid until the names are drawn. The blocks are only for preference. You got 9:20 because your name was drawn after the the block you wanted was filled but before all the names requesting 9-10 block were picked filling that block.

This Saturday 13 want 7:30-8:30, 11 8:30-9:30 & 6 9:30-10:30..... If I don't get 7:30-8:30, should my first opportunity be 10:30-11:30 with the next two hours booked solid???

Say for example the first six names picked were the six asking for 9:30-10:30. If you gave them their requested time and you only took six then that time would be filled. Say the next six picked all wanted 7:30-8:30. If you gave them their preferred time that block is filled. Your name is picked next . The closest time to your wanted time would be in the next block 8:30-9:30.

I'm just geussing that is how they are doing it going by what you are saying.

Asking the person doing your lottery at your club how they are doing it might help you out better.

#1 These posts from OP are about impossible to read and follow.

#2 you like to play fast and would prefer to not have anyone in front of you, so you believe that you deserve a spot in front of others you deem slower? Get in line, everyone wants their tee time as they want it and want to make sure they aren’t held up or that they are not pushed. It is likely only obvious to you how everyone should accommodate your preference and how it is the only way that makes sense

you get in line with others, they draw via lottery and you get what you get. Nobody will or should care that the fact that you want to play fast should give you any preference over anyone else

this isnt a perfect example but it is basically like the a fantasy sports draft just for quarterbacks where everyone is busy at the time the draft is scheduled so beforehand everyone put down what your preferences for who you would want to be selected. In this example lets pretend that the draft order is not known until the time of the draft and the name of who gets to pick first, second, third, etc is selected out of a hat at random at the time of the draft.

If by the time your name is drawn out of the hat all of you "preferences" are selected then the computer will automatically give you the highest ranked quarterback available who has not been drafted yet. In this example, you were the only person who put down Tom Brady as your top choice and 5 other people in the draft put down Aaron Rodgers. Just because you were the only one who had TB as your 1st choice doesnt mean you automatically get him. You only get him if he is still available to be selected when it gets to your turn in the draft.

The person who is first in the draft selected Aaron Rodgers. Then the next person up also had Aaron Rodgers as their preferred choice but since he wasnt available the computer gave him the highest available remaining quarterback which for the sake of this argument is Tom Brady. Then you are the third person up and Tom Brady is no longer available and you feel its not fair because no one else had him as their number one choice except for you. That is essentially what you are arguing.

So they draw all the names in the lottery for all the spots and then putting them by preference? If that is the case then I see what the OP is saying.

I too thought they were drawing from the groups that wanted that particular time slot. If 20 groups were in as 8:00-9:00 then 6 out of those 20 got a spot. If there were 4 groups who signed up for 9:00-10:00 all those groups got a spot then they filled in the remaining 2 spots with the names left from the 8:00-9:00 draw. IF that is the case I understand why he would be miffed that he got a spot over a group with the later hour block preference.

To me, this is a two-step process. The lottery drawing is step 1, and then as each group is drawn, they are slotted as close to their preference as possible, attempting to meet the preference is Step 2. This makes total sense to me, first a lottery drawing, followed by preference. What you have suggested would reverse the order, first they're sorted by preference, and a separate lottery is held for each hour-long block, with the "losers" for each block going to the end of the line somehow. To me, it seems that system would leave more people disappointed than the system they're using. I believe some accommodation for preference is important, without it there are potential problems. A group might prefer not to play before 10 AM, so would have a problem if their number came up first and they were then allocated the very first tee time, which might happen with a pure lottery. It might seem better to have each group state their preference with a single tee time, rather than a range, but the hour-long block preference is workable variation.