2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Why do people delete the asking price in BST?

clinkinfo

From what I’ve gathered from this thread is the OP wants record of sale prices so if someone resells an item they purchased here, he doesn’t want to pay more than they had originally paid. No one is allowed to make a couple bucks off of a good deal they may have gotten.

Yet there are several guys on this site always listing basically new sets of irons, prices a few hundred under retail, that they ordered “just to try” that get them at cost because they are on staff or get employee discounts not available to most of us, yet no one raises an eye to that.

Driver:  Cobra Darkspeed LS 9* Tour 2.0 Black 65X

Fairway:  Ping G430 Max 14* Tour 2.0 Black 75X

Fairway:  Ping G430 Max 19.5* Tour 2.0 Black 75X

Irons:  PXG 0317 CB 5-GW KBS Tour 130X

Wedge: Ping Glide 4.0 54S Modus 125W

Wedge: Ping Glide 4.0 58S Modus 125W

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

But what does leaving the asking price accomplish as far as “market price” when we all know asking price is rarely met.

Ventus black shafts are the perfect example. Everyone listed them around $250-275 when they first came out and are still listing them around $250 but most are selling for under $200. Anyone looking at these asking prices will be disappointed/getting low-balled when they list one for that price and get offers all day long for less than $200.

Do you want to know how I know you haven't bought/sold much on the BST here?

The asking price within the BST Ad has nothing to do with a dispute.

Nothing

Zero

Zilch

Nada

The only thing that really matters in a dispute is what the item SOLD for, of which, is captured by PayPal.

Incidentally, PayPal is the overall arbiter which presides over the aptly named "PayPal Dispute".

Next on the Dispute priority list are the PMs that occurred during the deal negotiations.

Again, the Seller's asking price within the Ad is irrelevant.

Of all the things that are broken with site, BST asking price being removed from an Ad is a strange hill to shout from.

• Like 2

For me, it is because I did all the work and research finding out what to sell my item for. The buyer knows as it is in our PM discussion so that is all that matters. It encourages laziness and we have enough of that in the world already. I treat it like my money, I earn mine by actual work, not a monthly walk to the mailbox. Everyone else is free to do the same. My money is not "our" money no matter how much some people believe it should be and my knowledge isn't free. You wouldn't want it anyway. Here is a beginner's lesson. 1. Search your item on ebay. 2. Click "sold items." 3. Price your item here accordingly. If that isn't simple enough, then maybe reading and research and such isn't just for everyone.

I remove the selling price and replace it with "SOLD." I guess I should leave the original price and also mark it as sold but I do it to avoid guys asking about stuff I've already sold. I closed an add months ago and forgot to list a set of shafts as sold and I've had about 5 people ask me if they could still by them.

• Like 1

10.5* G430 Max Diamana BF 60

15* G430 Max Diamana Ahina 70

21* Apex UW Diamana Ilima 80
22* (bent 23*) X Forged UT KBS Proto

Apex   MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Vokey SM9 Raw 50F, 56F, 60T

Toulon La Grange SB w/ KBS CT Tour

Jones Players Series 003

No. Leave it as it is and we'll readdress it in oh.... Another 3 months when this gets brought back up.

Funny how this is onlyy dealing with price. But not one single word abt those who delete their photos.

• Like 1

G425 Max 10.5* Diamana S LTD

G425 Max 16.5* Diamana 75 FW 

G425 Max 19* MMT 80 

Srixon ZX UT 23* MMT 90

Srixon ZX5 5-AW MMT 105

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 54/58 MMT 105 SW

Ping Kushin 4

WITB

I recently had an item marked as SOLD, "crossed out" the description using the Strike option and yet I still got a PM asking how much it is?!?! I've all but given up on humanity

The "price" in a listing has nothing to do with what it sold for. Therefore leaving it or not leaving it is completely irrelevant. Replacing the initial asking price with SOLD is completely irrelevant.If I do it its because it became exhausting to constantly read/answer/delete PMs from people who wanted to list the same item about how much it sold for, how much shipping was, how much do I think they should list it for. It could have been six months ago, people dont care because they are lazy. Do your own research. It takes two minutes to do a Sold Item search on ebay as has been mentioned here a dozen times. Subtract 15% in fees from that price and thats a good, *current* BST market value.

Selling in the BST is not a right and I'm OK with saying that it should require the bare minimum of work/effort on part of the seller. Searching through listings that could be months or even years old is not the way to find the current market value of your item.

But all of this has been mentioned a hundred times and I look forward to it being mentioned a hundred more a month from now when we bring this up again.

TM Stealth2 10.5* - Ventus TR Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TBD - TM P7MC // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey 46*/50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

Instead of putting up SOLD, I'm gonna start writing TRADED (for cash).

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

You are stating an OPINION.

The asking and selling prices are 100% relevant to many of us, just scroll up and take note.

We don’t agree with you, but can’t enforce the rules you have written, much less change them. The reason this keeps coming up month after month is BECAUSE a large group of members don’t agree with you that asking and selling prices are irrelevant here.

How can you care if people delete the photos but not care if they delete the price? That’s the whole point! The entire ad should stay the way it was when it gets archived! Yes, we agree, the photos should stay too, ....nope, you were correct, they changed that rule and you can delete the photos! My bad, it USED to be a rule that photos had to stay. So I agree 100% with you. Photos SHOULD be required to stay. How can you even dispute something if you can't show what was listed?

• Like 1

Actually for the most part its not a large group of members, its a lot of the same people rehashing things over and over and over again. And lets be honest, you've made your feelings on the BST clear in multiple posts over multiple threads with the insinuation - or outright statement - being that other forums run their BSTs far better than we do here. So be it - you know what my response to that would be.

Vokey 46*/50*/54*/58*

This is completely wrong and the rules specifically state that you can delete your photographs. This was initially enacted to allow people to stay under their attachment limit but more importantly frees up server space from dead ads.

Vokey 46*/50*/54*/58*

Really? Your response is to try and slam me? And after what must have been 2 seconds of research on my 15 years here? This really is the new and improved golfwrx, right? Don’t take any member feedback and slam the members that are trying to make it better, especially the ones who have been here for years and years?

Your reply illustrates the issues and frustrations of many of us here, especially the ones who have been here a long time. No, I have not made those statements, I’ve pointed out what I think is now not working here. For example, other forums require ads to stay COMPLETE when archived because if there was every a dispute it helps resolve it. But that’s fine, I think your reply sums up what many of us here feel now. The new message seems to be "Keep your mouths shut members, this is no place for discussions".

And you are correct, I apologize, you DID change the rule and allow photos to be deleted. That makes Russ757's comment even more relevant, so I apologize to him as well. It USED to be a rule that you had to keep the photos up.

• Like 1

Huh learn something new everyday. Used to be we weren't supposed to remove photos. But as you mentioned that changed. So I own it.

Also interested is the following sentence abt deleting a price if a different price was agreed to.. Which is 99.98 of all BST here

DO NOT DELETE THE CONTENT OF YOUR LISTING WHEN YOU SELL AN ITEM OR CLOSE THE LISTING. Closed listings will be moved to the BST Archive Forum for future reference. You may, however, delete the photograph attachments to listings as well as the listed For Sale price if a different price has been mutually agreed to.

G425 Max 10.5* Diamana S LTD

G425 Max 16.5* Diamana 75 FW 

G425 Max 19* MMT 80 

Srixon ZX UT 23* MMT 90

Srixon ZX5 5-AW MMT 105

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 54/58 MMT 105 SW

Ping Kushin 4

WITB

And I’ll add this for those sellers who think that deleting the asking price and replacing it with $SOLD will prevent you from receiving messages about your item. One of the posters above specifically said that they receive messages from other sellers who don’t want to do their own research and simply send a message to ask a seller what something was listed for and/or what it sold for. I’ve got news for you. Those same people are going to send you a message regardless of whether you replace the asking price with $SOLD so it makes no difference whether you leave the asking price in the post flanked on either side by SOLD in bold capital letters.

Again, it takes 5 seconds to do an Ebay search to check market prices. Ebay is also 100% easier than doing a search here. I think from now on, when I sell an item, instead of sold, I'll just put $1,000. Sounds like a good even number. You have to remember, if you are not the buyer or seller, you are an observer who deserves no information or data on a financial transaction. Essentially, it isn't your business. If you are that curious, PM the seller and they may choose to tell you what it was listed or sold for. They could also tell you to kiss off which is completely their right as you aren't in their deal.

Yep, and it seems like every time this topic comes up (3-4 times per year), it's a handful of members with very low Feedback count that seem to want to change the BST for their buying benefit.

The folks with Feedback over 100 around here seem to be content, as they were the last time this topic was brought up.

Here's a good tool to use for the folks that don't use the BST much.

Give me a break. Anyone who wants to actively hide their asking prices on a public forum is doing something else.

i love how no one has offered a real reason why the asking price, and ad content can’t stay. Because there is no reason, and most other forums require it to stay. Good luck disputing with PayPal when the seller has deleted the ad, the photos and the price. I understand the photos require bandwidth the way it’s done here, so maybe they stay for 2 weeks or something, but the rest should be mandated.

as for eBay matching the bst, it doesn’t always. Many times there’s stuff here that isn’t there, and the prices are not always the same. For example, it’s nice to be able to see what others have been asking for shaft pulls for example, because there are not as many on eBay to cross reference.

This is not how the BST used to work. But lets be real, the reason so many want to delete ad content and pricing is because you're out at the outlets trying to flip clothes and shoes. Or your buying crap with your professional discounts and flipping at close to retail here. This was not a "flipping" site. Now it is. THAT'S why so many are afraid of keeping the ad content and pricing up after it's gone.

@clinkinfo
You keep referencing PayPal disputes when I don't think you've ever dealt with a PayPal dispute.
Your posts read as if you don't have the slightest idea of the basic mechanics of a PayPal dispute.
Educate yourself on how PayPal disputes work, who is responsible for what, and you'll sound closer to knowing what you're talking about.

Thanks for the irrelevant info, used PayPal since it started, don't need your help or advice.

And yeah, normally stuff that isn't a problem keeps coming up over and over, like this. You guys sound like an old boss I had. He got fired.

Look, you win. Keep it the way you have it and keep us all that don't like it quiet.