17 hours ago, ChipNRun said:

I have an older Garmin S2 yardage watch, which I got after first price cut, plus a coupon (under $100!). It works best on courses with small greens. I can take distance to center of green, and mentally add or subtract a club if pin is up or back. On courses with 40-yard deep greens, however, this is a no go!

Overall it works smoothly, except...

* When a course has a compressed layout - fairways jammed together side-by-side:  After I putt out on Hole 2, the watch may jump to Hole 4, rather than shifting to Hole 3. This can hurt, if you don't realize you're reading the wrong hole, and mistakenly hit a 5i when you're only 120 yards from the actual green.

* In neighborhood with multiple courses, I've had a couple of days when the "Locating Satellites" step went on for several minutes without offering me specific courses.

My rangefinder is a basic Nikon-Callaway Razr I picked up in 2016, again after a price cut plus a coupon got it for $199. At the time, my home course and neighboring layouts had onboard GPS units in the carts. So, I got it mainly for use in ranging clubs and calibrating wedges. Surprise! Over the next two years most area courses had dumped onboard GPS. I now use the RF on-course much more on-course than I used to. I use it especially to lase distance to doglegs and hazards, and on partial wedge shots. 

Individual clubs now offer course member apps which feature a GPS and Scorecard module. I could use it, but I never have gotten into the habit. Plus, I'm retired now and play in minor amateur circuits and play less than half my annual rounds at the home course.

I should probably get a GPS unit, but remember I was old school until 2016. I relied on the fairway blue dot (200 yards) and white dot (150 yards) to tell me how far out I was.

==========================

Question on golf courses you play:  Some courses put various beacons or reflectors atop their flagsticks so that rangefinder users can get a better lock on the target. Below are some options from the Wittek company:

image.png.4f744deb7ac0c7944434fabc590bf48e.png

I hadn't noticed them in many of the courses I play, and a playing partner complained that few courses were using them any more. What have you all seen? Is there a problem of theft of the stick toppers? Too much hassle? Or, does golfdom want everyone to use GPS units?

Also, do some systems use reflecting tape instead of a topper?

I never aim at accessory reflectors (if installed).  I've found its much easier to aim at the flag itself - much bigger target to lock onto.  Most of the time I can do this one-handed unless I'm further out.  

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

At the point you hear psychobabble like that, rational discussion has ended.

While SkyCaddie (gps satellites) and a Rangefinder (laser reflection) measure line-of-sight, it would more valuable to also provide "PlaysLike" distances. Not sure if SkyGolf has the data available re

That is incorrect.  Mathematically proximity to the hole is the RSS of the error sources which includes how accurate the player is and how accurately the player knows the distance to the hole.  So a r

Posted Images

13 hours ago, kiwihacker said:

One negative about the Bushnell laser is it chews through the batteries. I think it must be a fault in the system because if I leave the battery in during the week by the following weekend the battery is dead. So in other words it is chewing up the battery even when it is not in use. That is quite annoying and I have to remove the battery from the device at the end of each round. 

Do you have a V2 or older.  They were hard on batteries.  Or your on/off button might be sticking. I had a V2 and updated to a V4 and battery life is MUCH longer.  Re-vamped electronics and the display turns off after about 5 seconds vs maybe 20-30 seconds for the V2.  

Edited by cristphoto

I tend to use a combination of my ShotScope and my Nikon rangefinder - the RF is a bit flaky over 180 yards so for long approaches I'll use the watch and F/M/B to pick my club and what sort of carry I need from that. However the closer I get up until about 50 yards I'll use the rangefinder more and more. We have a few blind approaches so I use it to figure out where the pin is - my distance control with my irons/wedges is pretty good so I do find the extra accuracy useful, which combined with my shonky direction control means if I miss I'm usually pin high. 

Inside 50 yards I just look and hit basically without trying to think about it too much.

The Dee Three - Titleist 917 D3 9.5 deg, Rogue Max 65x, B2 Setting

Henrik - Titleist 917 F3 15 deg, Rogue Max 75x, B2 Setting

The Walking Stick - Titleist 818 H2 19 deg, Rogue Max 85X, A1 Setting

The Blades - Nike VR Pro 4 - PW, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5 inch

The Rusties - Nike Engage 50, 54 Square Sole, 58 Dual Sole, DG Wedge Flex

The Ladies Putter - Nike Method 003 "The Oven", 33.5 inches, ex Carly Booth

16 hours ago, cristphoto said:

Do you have a V2 or older.  They were hard on batteries.  Or your on/off button might be sticking. I had a V2 and updated to a V4 and battery life is MUCH longer.  Re-vamped electronics and the display turns off after about 5 seconds vs maybe 20-30 seconds for the V2.  

V3. 

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
Taylormade R7 TP 4-PW irons
Cleveland RTX 2 52°/10°, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter

• 4 weeks later...

I'm going through this dilemma right now. I have a Garmin S20 GPS Watch and a Bushnell ProXE. Don't want to use both at the same time and would prefer to stick to one. Iron play is not my strength so needing an exact yardage doesnt really seem necessary to me. I love knowing front/middle/back with the GPS and I'm sure I could do the same with the laser. GPS just seems to be more time efficient. Let me know some thoughts as I have read through this whole thread and still cannot make up my mind. 

PING G410 10.5° | Ventus Blue 7S

PING G410 5W 16.5º | Ventus Blue 8S
PING G410 3H 20.5º | Ventus Blue HB 9X
Callaway Apex CF19 5-PW | Modus 105S
Callaway MD5 50°W 54°S 58°X | KBS $-Taper 120S

Toulon Las Vegas H7 | Stability Tour
Titleist ProV1x

4 hours ago, agood3putt said:

I'm going through this dilemma right now. I have a Garmin S20 GPS Watch and a Bushnell ProXE. Don't want to use both at the same time and would prefer to stick to one. Iron play is not my strength so needing an exact yardage doesnt really seem necessary to me. I love knowing front/middle/back with the GPS and I'm sure I could do the same with the laser. GPS just seems to be more time efficient. Let me know some thoughts as I have read through this whole thread and still cannot make up my mind. 

Yeah I’m with you. Though I don’t have either I’ve been going back and forth between the a gps and rangefinder. I considered getting a rangefinder and using my phone as a gps but because they will sometimes use cell tower triangulation, which is less accurate than a dedicated gps chip, that seemed a half measure. The XE features are really tempting but my thinking is that that level of data is only useful for 5 handicaps and below. I’ve settled on the G80 because I want a handheld with slope, and I don’t want to wear a watch while golfing. The radar is a big bonus.

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Jota_Jota said:

Yeah I’m with you. Though I don’t have either I’ve been going back and forth between the a gps and rangefinder. I considered getting a rangefinder and using my phone as a gps but because they will sometimes use cell tower triangulation, which is less accurate than a dedicated gps chip, that seemed a half measure. The XE features are really tempting but my thinking is that that level of data is only useful for 5 handicaps and below. I’ve settled on the G80 because I want a handheld with slope, and I don’t want to wear a watch while golfing. The radar is a big bonus.

Appreciate the insight. I’m leaning towards sticking with the watch also. Front back and middle is good enough for me 

PING G410 10.5° | Ventus Blue 7S

PING G410 5W 16.5º | Ventus Blue 8S
PING G410 3H 20.5º | Ventus Blue HB 9X
Callaway Apex CF19 5-PW | Modus 105S
Callaway MD5 50°W 54°S 58°X | KBS $-Taper 120S

Toulon Las Vegas H7 | Stability Tour
Titleist ProV1x