Just got mine and not impressed.

Grinds and looks are great but compared to my MD5s they dont perform.

I was suprised at the lack of spin control with these, I cant check the ball everything releases.

My MD5s have consistent spin and seem to be tighter dispersion and better overall results.

I went away from Vokeys for the last couple years, wanted to trg em out again but very underwhelmed.

Any other reviews or feedback after switching to these?

Ive seen a lot for sale...

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks for the photos!

SM8 Brushed steel finish is perfect. Tungsten in toe for optimized CG in a lob wedge is cool. D grind in sand wedge is $$$. Came from S18 wedges which were good too. Made a shaft change (Nippon -> PX) and wanted more bounce. Overall a good move for me.

To the OP, check the swing weight. Vokey's are known to swingweight heavier than almost anything else. Requested 1/2" long and mine came in at D4-D6. A little heavier than I was looking for, but no issues so far.

Cobra F9 9* - Ventus Black 7X / Cobra SZ Big Tour 13.5* - Tour AD TP 8X / Callaway Apex Hybrid 20* - Tour AD IZ 95X

Mizuno MP20 MMC 4,5 / MP20 6-P - Project X 6.5 / Vokey SM8 50.08F, 56.12D, 60.08M - Project X 6.0

TM TP Juno or Spider Tour Black / Bridgestone BX

Tour pros don't seem to have any issues with them and they work great for me when I hit them well with plenty of spin. Overall they are very consistent for me and they look great. I will say the MD5s definitely have a bit higher spin than Vokey which is due to their grooves. I'm a high spin player so the MD5s wouldn't be best for me. Seems like the Vokeys just don't seem to fit your eye and you need more spin with MD5s so stick with those. And there are a lot for sale because they're probably the best selling wedge out there. Lot of coronavirus purchases that are being sold too.

Titleist TSi3 8 deg - Mitsubishi Diamana DF 70TX

Titleist TSi3 15 deg - Project X Even Flow T1100 White 85 6.5

Titleist 816 H2 19 deg - Mitsubishi Diamana D+ 90X

Titleist T200 4 - Project X 6.5

Titleist T100 5-PW - Project X 6.5

Vokey SM8 Jet Black 50.12 F, 54.10 S, 58.08 M - TT DG TI Black Onyx S400

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

Havent had them long enough to develop any significant wear. Its a chrome plated finish, so wear should be less than a raw finish like Vokey jet black or even Mizuno ion plated finish. Any dark finish will develop a wear pattern though. Take a look through any used equipment site to see finish wear. SM7 brushed steel is the same finish as SM8, just slightly different color (SM8 is less brown, more gray). Random photo of a used SM7:

image.png

Cobra F9 9* - Ventus Black 7X / Cobra SZ Big Tour 13.5* - Tour AD TP 8X / Callaway Apex Hybrid 20* - Tour AD IZ 95X

Mizuno MP20 MMC 4,5 / MP20 6-P - Project X 6.5 / Vokey SM8 50.08F, 56.12D, 60.08M - Project X 6.0

TM TP Juno or Spider Tour Black / Bridgestone BX

20200601-144145.jpg

20200601-144128.jpgI tried to get the best angle but this 60 has about 100 ProV1's and probably 25 range balls on it. Minor scuffing is almost certainly from the range balls.

WITB
Sim 9° Diamana Limited 
TM M3 15°
Adams Idea Pro 22°
Hogan Icons 4-P
Titleist SM8 50° 54° 60°
Callaway MD4 64°
Ping Sigma Darby

Same thing here - MD5s have performed the best.

I had SM6, then SM7, then MD4's for a few months, and I just moved into the MD5 and couldnt be happier.

Mavrik + ATMOS TS Black / Mavrik 4W + ATMOS TS Blue / Mavrik Pro 3H + ATMOS TS Blue / XForged UT + ATMOS TS Black / Apex 19-Pro + C-Taper / MD5 / Odyssey SL Black 7 + SuperStroke Cord 2.0

Wedge spin is negligible differences these days and can be made up with playing the right ball in most cases anyways. Wedges are such a preference for each player. The grind and the visuals play the biggest role for my tastes followed by feel. Clean/new grooves will always spin more than enough for me personally, and as far as looks go the SM8s check every box. I made the switch to the D grind on the 56 this season, and I absolutely love it. That said, I also think Callaway’s wedge offerings are beautifully designed, and preform just as well as the SM8s.

Ping G410 LST 7.5º | Fujikura Ventus Black 7X
Titleist TS3 14.25º | Diamana ZF 70TX
TaylorMade P790 UDI 17º | KBS $-Taper 130X / Cobra F6 Baffler 17.5º | Fujikura Pro 2.0 TS 8X
Callaway Apex Pro ‘19 | KBS $-Taper 130X
Vokey 52ºF, 56ºD, 60ºLow K  | KBS $-Taper 130X
TaylorMade Spider FCG

I have a low bounce K 60* that I use for all my bunker shots. That said I’ve flipped some balls around greens with all kinds of face angle with the 56D and don’t seem to find any issues with it. To be fair the turf I play on out east is probably less firm than your north Texas hard pan so I may not be speaking apples to apples here.

Ping G410 LST 7.5º | Fujikura Ventus Black 7X
Titleist TS3 14.25º | Diamana ZF 70TX
TaylorMade P790 UDI 17º | KBS $-Taper 130X / Cobra F6 Baffler 17.5º | Fujikura Pro 2.0 TS 8X
Callaway Apex Pro ‘19 | KBS $-Taper 130X
Vokey 52ºF, 56ºD, 60ºLow K  | KBS $-Taper 130X
TaylorMade Spider FCG

I have been using a couple demo sm8s, my callaway md5 are just better around the greens. The sm8 D grind 58 i have seems to dig hard in bunkers, even face open it has been costing me strokes, im hitting them and md5 side by side while practicing and sm8 catches a lot of sand doesnt glide through as easy...

Other way around for me :)

SM8 for me is: higher, less spin, less carry, more roll, sounds a bit harder.

So the T20 is lower, more spin, more carry, less roll, sounds softer.

Even my current Glide 1.0's feel softer then the SM8 to me, which should be due to the shafts. Due to the aforementioned shafts they're much shorter though and due to the years of wear they do spin much less too :P

Can't really go wrong with the SM8 I feel though, very good wedges.

TaylorMade SIM 9º | HZRDUS Smoke Green 6.0
TaylorMade SIM Max 3-15º | HZRDUS Smoke Green 6.5
TaylorMade SIM Max 5-18º | HZRDUS Smoke Green 6.5
Mizuno 919 Forged 4-6 (2º weak) | PX 6.0
Mizuno 919 Tour 7-P (2º weak) | PX 6.0
Mizuno T20 52º/4º, 56º/14º, 60º/6º | PX 6.0
Scotty Cameron Futura X5w with SuperStroke PistolGT 2.0 CB
Titleist ProV1x 2020
Arccos 360
Titleist StaDry Black/Grey/Orange (2016) / Titleist Midsize Staff jet-black (2020)

I’m curious about this too. I have SM7 58D12 right now and sometimes had problems with bunker play (moving lots of sand and not much ball). But I had gone along with the idea that I really just need to work on my technique. I think I figured out that I need to be less steep on my bunker swings and it works just fine. If I concentrate on hitting just barely behind the ball it’s good. Way behind the ball (~4”) and steep, and it digs.

I have SM8s coming (52F08 and 58D12) so I’m interested in hearing more detail on this.