July Golf Trip Scottsdale

gcp07

I am just going to call it what it is but this is a bachelor party with a ton of golf involved. This is our 3rd time visiting Scottsdale and we are pretty well versed with the golf facilities. What really stinks is some of the courses we were going to play 36 at, only have one course. Raptor is closed at Grayhawk and its one of our favorite courses anywhere. Right now is the line up.

Day :1 Grayhawk Talon for 18 in the Morning. Drive to Troon North and play Monument in the afternoon (Pinnacle is closed, loved Pinnacle. What are peoples thoughts on Monument)

Day2.: Boulders in the Am then drive to TPC Scottsdale to play the Waste Man course in the afternoon

DAy 3: 18 at We-ko-Pa Sagaro, one of my favorites.

In terms of course conditions is there anything any one can add? We are arriving July 8, the week after the 4th. We are also discussing Talking Stick, Kireland. WE have played Quintero and probably wont go back. Would appreciate any other course recommendations and cant misses.

Also, food recommendations. The Mission and Steak 44 we always do. Any good lunch spots we can miss? Thank you in advance for the feedback!

Appreciate the food recs.

Haha, Yes troopers indeed. We showed up to Grayhawk last August for 36 and the starters and cart girls asked what was wrong with us. Played 36 in 108, went to STK44, hit Talking Stick and then closed down the strip where bottle blonde is, went to bed at 5 and got up and 9 to play Quintero.

My buddies trips go like that and after 15 years of doing it we only will do 1 36 hole day and it has to be at same facility. I notice we pick our courses based on location from where we stay now more than having to play the best tracks. Those late nights that are a couple beer nights turned 3 am drain you! Have fun you you got a great lineup. I live right by hole 5 on the Raptor course and go practice on it at dusk sometimes.

Good trip...although I personally would swap the courses each day. You are playing courses that have some semblance of shade in the morning and the courses with zero shade in the afternoon.

Again, personally, I would play Verde River 9-10 times over Boulders.

If I had crafted it, I would be a Verde River / Troon Monument & TPC / Talon - just for sake of proximity.

Boulders is about style over substance - it has some pretty views with holes framed by the boulders and stuff. But the course is target or layup golf for about half the holes; a couple just dumb holes. Depending on your game you might only use 3 clubs and your putter. My guess is that it will be overwatered and soggy in many places too.

Verde is not as good as it used to be - because houses have been built now. But it is just a good course start to finish. The overall view is fantastic looking out to the Verde Valley and the mountains. The conditions are almost always perfect. The new clubhouse and bar are the best around imo great food and drink on an amazing patio.

Boulders is not a bad option, it is just a "that's cool" with some golf that you may or may not enjoy. Visitors do enjoy it because of the rocks. Verde is just all around good.

• Like 1

All these Desert Courses are about the same outside of a few holes. You wont get any shade on any of them. I'd choose location to your accommodations first. The lineup you had was fine. I wouldn't drive out to Tonto Verde/Vista Verde if it was me.

Your travel times are fine. It is sixes however you slice it up. Grayhawk and Troon are going to be probably closer than Verde and Troon. I know Troon and Verde are at least 9 miles apart because that long straight hill once you drop off is known as 9 mile hill by the road bikers. I'm guessing you are staying in North Scottsdale so going to Verde is adding 20 plus minutes to you drive back when done.

It is roughly 9 miles from Troon North to Verde River for sure. I ride my bike up and down that way all of the time and it should be about the same from my house and I'm pretty close to where Happy Valley turns into 118th (less than a mile from there as the crow flies).
That said, I don't see how anyone thinks Boulders is similar at all to Verde River. @puttnforthe8 is correct. Boulders is a lot of layup golf with gimmicky par 3s for a lot of the 36. It is fine but if I simply compare it to the closest courses I can see major differences. Mirabel vs Desert Forest vs Boulders vs Rancho Mañana for instance. Each of those plays completely differently. Verde River is different as well. I don't think they are any more similar parkland courses are from each other.

Agree on Verde River over Boulders. Have played both a couple times and don’t think either are top tier but would play Verde River every time over Boulders. Better views and course in my opinion. Boulders is a very manufactured course that was built for the resort and has a lot of tight little target holes to fit on the property.

Southern Dunes and Wekopa are the courses that are definitely above VR and worth the drive. You could make a case for Verrado - depends on your gents course style preference. Other than that - not really. Eagle Mountain for the fun and easy factor maybe for that reason.

I mean...since you did drive all the way to Quintero - Wickenburg Ranch is not that much farther......sorta, kinda. :) But a good course.