New Level Appreciation Thread

Yeah its just the use of the word shovel and then saying a different model is not one when clearly the specs don't lie that its a game improvement iron. Like I said I just got mine and they are small not Miura baby blade small but definitely players cavity back along the lines of Z745, Apex Pro, AP2 with a slightly thicker top line but definitely smaller and less offset than my current gamers Bridgestone J15cb which are not shovels.

Below is 8 iron comparison:

img-6240.jpeg

• Like 1

COBRA F9 9 Deg - HZRDUS Yellow Smoke 65 

CALLAWAY Mavrik 15 - Aldila 130 MSI Tour White 70
CALLAWAY Mavrik Pro 20 - KBS Tour Hybrid 80 

BRIDGESTONE Tour B X-Hi 22 - KBS Tour Hybrid Proto / BRIDGESTONE J15cb 5-PW - Dynamic Gold 105 

VOKEY SM7 Raw Black 50/54/58 - Hi Rev 2.0 / ODYSSEY Trihot #1

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'll post a review of my 902's later this afternoon with pics. As a preview, I found the 902's to be an excellent size and great to look at (not too much offset, smaller head but not tiny, relatively

Here is my review of the New Level 902’s. I chose these irons after hitting these, 1031's, Z785’s, P760’s, Gen 2 0311 T's, and CB-301's. All clubs were tested with the same shaft (TI X100) and same le

902 reminds me of old MR23 Tourstage that it sold../miss.../need...

Posted Images

Shoot Eric a message. I bet he’ll have a good answer about the gapping issue. I suspect you’re getting some combination of more launch, more ball speed, and less backspin than your 3i. There’s got to be a way to get you the launch angle you’re looking for and hit your distance.

Crazy idea: alternatively, ditch the 4i and grab the 24*. You’ll probably hit that further too and might end up with a more manageable gap between it and your 5i. Maybe.

That 18* would be an amazing stinger machine and deadly in the wind. I am also not brave—I don’t swing fast enough or find the middle often enough to make it work for me. I choose to take my 5 wood and quietly weep from the FOMO ?.

My lefty 1102 7 iron arrived today and straight to the range I went. Club feels great. You definitely feel it if you wander too far from the sweet spot but there really isn’t much of a distance penalty. They really do look better in person, as Eric assured me. Was about 5-10 yards shorter than my gamers which are Callaway Epic Forged. However the New Level 7 iron is 5 degrees weaker than the 7 in the Epics.

I really like the feel and the simplicity of a forged club. Plus most shots were dead straight. Now have to decide what shaft I want in them!

Question for those of you with 623's: how long are the 623's compared to the clubs they replaced?

So far through a handful of rounds and range sessions, my 623's are much shorter (a club, if not a club and a half) than my Apex MB's, which is wholly unexpected, especially given the size difference between the two clubs and the stronger lofts of the 623's. To be fair, the clubs have different shafts (C-Taper 130X in the Apex MB's, MMT 125TX in the 623's), but I have a hard time believing the shafts account for that much of a difference. I'm going to get them on a launch monitor tomorrow to see what is going on, but figured maybe someone here has experienced the same phenomenon.

Driver: TaylorMade SIM 8* (standard setting) with MCA Tensei AV Raw Orange 75TX at 44.5"
3W: TaylorMade M5 15* (standard setting) with Oban Devotion 8 O5 at 42"
Hybrid: PXG Gen 2 0317X 19* (standard setting) with Oban Kiyoshi Purple Hybrid O5 at 39.5"
4i-9i: Callaway '18 Apex MB's with KBS C-Taper 130X at 1/4" long
46: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
50: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
54: Callaway JAWS MD5 8C
58: Callaway JAWS MD5 8W
Putter: Kari Lajosi Custom DD201WB

• 3 weeks later...

Put in an order for 4995 18 bent to 20, 21 bent to 23 both in Elevate 105S and 902 5-PW in Elevate Tour S. Hoping the gapping works out ok and that the 20 degree can take my 5 wood’s (set to 20) place on windy days. Debating back and forth to get the 623 8-PW, but that’s for next time I guess. Can not wait to hit them!

I had been hoping to post a full review on the 623's, but work has been crazy and I haven't had as much time to get out and play as I would have liked. I'll say that I'm really trying to like the 623's, but the Apex MB's are so hard to beat. I'm also trying to get used to the MMT 125TX which, so far, has been a challenge, as they feel so different from the C-Tapers. I will say that the 623's feel great out of the center and are definitely more forgiving than the Apex MB's.

Driver: TaylorMade SIM 8* (standard setting) with MCA Tensei AV Raw Orange 75TX at 44.5"
Hybrid: PXG Gen 2 0317X 19* (standard setting) with Oban Kiyoshi Purple Hybrid O5 at 39.5"

Nice thread everyone. I am in the market for a set of players CB irons and the NL902's are at the top of my list. I have played a blended set for the last 12 years - Titleist 735.CM - and it is time to retire them. We have had a fantastic run. I have come to realize that the shallow cavity 5,6,7 irons are my favorites in the set: they have similar feel and control-ability to the blade 8,9,PW but with extra forgiveness on imperfect strikes. My preference is to move on to CB irons through the short end of the bag and not combo the 902 with 623. I have a 902 7 iron on the way to test but I will not be able to hit the short irons without buying a full set.

My question is this: how do the offset and cavity depth play in the 9i and PW of the 902 set? Are trajectory control and shot shaping do-able without extreme manipulation? I am not really interested in wild curving or stingers, just enough tilt and traj control to have fun. I realize these are completely subjective but I would like to hear your thoughts nonetheless.

P.S. - I have the Sub 70 639CB and Ben Hogan PTxPro demo irons on hand and will be hitting them side by side with the NL902 later this week. I will probably post a separate thread to summarize my experience and findings.

D| Ping G400 w/ Project X HZRDUS Yellow 6.0

3W| TaylorMade 07 Burner w/ Grafalloy ProLaunch Platinum X

H| Ping G400 22* w/UST Mamiya PROFORCE V2 Black X

4-P| New Level 902 w/Dynamic Gold TI S400

GW| Maltby M-Series Tour 51 w/Dynamic Gold TI Black Onyx S400

SW| Titleist Vokey SM 57 w/Dynamic Gold S300

LW| Maltby Tour Grind MG 60 w/Dynamic Gold TI Black Onyx S400

P| Yes! Evelyn 12

Ball| Snell MTB Black

I have never had any issues shaping with the 902's. I believe the 902's to be some of the best clubs out there. The offset in the 8-PW is minimal (not completely gone, but minimal), so you shouldn't have any issues there. Given that you'll be receiving a 7-iron, try that out and see how workability is. The 7-iron and 8-iron have the same offset, and the 9-iron and PW are ever-so-slightly less. Cavity depth shouldn't be an issue either, as the 902's are not a large players CB.

I have the MMT 125TX in my 902’s and the combo has been fantastic. It was a pretty seamless transition for me coming from $ Taper 130, but I can see how coming from C-Taper would be more difficult. Nonetheless, both the 902 and 623 models are phenomenal. I also picked up the M Type wedges and they are unreal. Great stuff going on at New Level !!

Ping G410 LST 9* Fujikura Ventus Black 7X 
Ping G410 LST 14.5* Fujikura Ventus Black 8X
Ping G410 17.5* Fujikura Ventus Black 10X 
Ping Blueprint 4-W KBS $ Taper PVD 130X  
New Level M-Type 50/54/60 KBS 610 S+
SIK DW 2.0 LAGP TZ 135 
Tour BX / TP5X

I liked the 7 iron that I tested so much that I bought a set. I briefly considered soft stepping X100 shafts but settled on S400 TI due to their strong pedigree. I am solidly between S and X (7i speed = 88-90 mph, don't load aggressively) so hopefully this will work out - I swung some X100's on a simulator and it felt like work. The solid chunk of muscle in the bottom of the cavity makes these irons feel very strong and pure on good strikes. That dead solid feeling at impact was the biggest differentiator of these irons. I also really like the compact blade length with medium top line thickness - sharp and powerful. I was able to shape shots and control trajectory with the 7 iron, with forgiveness mixed in as well. I am really looking forward to this set.

img-0551.jpgLeft: NL902 7 iron / Right: Sub 70 639 CB 6 iron. The 639 CB has less offset (2.5 vs 3.0 mm) but I decided that I am blind to offset. Even the 639 CB 9 iron (2.0 mm) offset didn't register with me.

img-0560.jpgHere is the NL902 7 iron framing a ball. Looking forward to this.

img-0561-281-29.jpg

P| Yes! Evelyn 12

Ball| Snell MTB Black

I did a combo set with 1126 in 4,5, 902 in the 6, 7 and 623 in 7,8,9,PW. I constantly debate whether to game the 902 or 623 in the 7 iron. Truthfully, I think both are very playable. Also, the poster asking about losing distance in the 623 I bent them to the lofts of the 902 so 1 degree. I find them just as long as my 902s in those clubs and longer than z745s before them. I absolutely love these clubs.

Has anyone compared the 902 and/or 623 to the Mizuno JPX900 Forged, especially top line thickness? I’m thinking of a blended set and wonder how dramatic the difference would be at address between the Mizunos and either of the NL. Those 623 just look so pretty, I really want to pull the trigger but know I need the forgiveness from 7i up.

First out, I got the 4995 18 and 21 bent to 20 and 23 both in Elevate 105S, the 902 5-PW (PW bent to 44, 1 strong) in Elevate Tour S300.

Yesterday I hit them for the first time on the range, and after that short session I was 99% sure the 4995 had too much offset for my liking. Also the 8-PW 902s looked way too big closer the heel/slant.

Today I walked my first 18 and wow. The 902s are so nice. Coming from T100S they feel big and the amount of offset is taking some getting used to. At the same time they feel safe and they are far from shovels. Noticed the thick slant/heel less out on the course. After the round I decided on trying to sell both 4995s as I really prefer the 902s so much more. Getting a 4 iron to replace the 23, and the search continues for a good 3 iron after I sold my HMB unicorn... Also ordering 8-PW in the 623-M, bending them 1 strong.

Loving the 902s so far! Might even decide to sell the T100S.

Nice review. What do you mean by heel/slant? Is it that the 902 faces are taller where the face meets the hosel compared to others? Asking because I kind of like those designs versus heads that have a topline that angles up sharply from heel to toe. The 902s have that squat, compact look to my eye, whereas a shorter face at the hosel often makes the blade look a longer and I avoid that long heel to toe look. I feel like the 902s are the New Level head most likely to fit me best so I love all the detailed feedback wrxers are providing.

The NL902 topline thickness is 0.21" = 5.3 mm. NL623 is thinner but I only inquired about the 902. JPX919 thicknesses are 4.7/6.4 mm for the Tour/Forged models, respectively.

P| Yes! Evelyn 12

Ball| Snell MTB Black

The Board took a huge hit when they rolled over to the new website. That coupled with New Level being relatively new I think has kept them a secret for the time being. I think as they get into more players hands the next 6 months to a year they will start to blow up.

Ping G410 LST 9* Fujikura Ventus Black 7X 
Ping G410 LST 14.5* Fujikura Ventus Black 8X
Ping G410 17.5* Fujikura Ventus Black 10X 
Ping Blueprint 4-W KBS $ Taper PVD 130X  
New Level M-Type 50/54/60 KBS 610 S+
SIK DW 2.0 LAGP TZ 135 
Tour BX / TP5X

I think they also get a little less attention as clubs like maltby and sub70 seem to be a little cheaper making close to the same thing. That being said I think the New Level designs look better and they make a set in left handed which I've had for a few months now and Love them so keep up the good work New Level and please please please bring out the wedges in left handed also.

The sale is nice and might really help them grow. It seems for the non mainstream brands it either needs to be a value offer (sub70) or super boutique (miura, artisan) to gain traction. I'm guessing lack of accessibility makes it hard to compete in the same price bracket with the main brands you can find everywhere.

Same here. There are parts of the design that remind me of my favorite iron set of all time, RAC Coin Forged Combos! It's subtle, but there are parts of the design that make me think of those. I've been looking at some of the sales on these all summer long and I would have bought a set but I just can't get over the offset. It's just so much offset for a players club and that's just not for me.

Driver: Cobra SZ Xtreme 9° HZRDUS Green 6.5
Fairway: G410 LST EF Black 6.5 Handcrafted 75 & G410 5 Wood EF Black 6.5 Handcrafted 85
Irons: Mizuno JPX 919T 4-PW PX 6.5
Wedges: Mizuno T20 50/55/60 S400
Putter: Taylormade Spider Tour Copper

I think that’s why they sell a lot of 902/623 combos. The owner told me they’ve built more than 1,000 sets. The 902 offset in the long irons is similar to many irons I’ve liked (Bridgestone 715CB, Srixon 7xx, Ping i200) but it doesn’t drop off as much in scoring irons. But in the 623 it’s less, to .07” in the wedge. I am not as sensitive to offset as long as I don’t really notice it. I have a tendency for my weight to “hang back” in my swing and in the long irons a little offset does seem to give me a bit of help in squaring the face. Just don’t want too much or it messes with me.

I had my set of 902s bent 1-2 degrees weak and that reduces offset somewhat. I have PW = 46, 9i = 42, 8i = 38. I can post some photos of the short irons at address if you like. Offset is weird, I just don’t have an eye for it unless it is huge, >4 mm or so.

P| Yes! Evelyn 12

Ball| Snell MTB Black

Update: Sold my T100S.

I originally ordered 4995 HBs as 3 and 4 irons replacements, both bent two weak to avoid offset. It was still too much for me, so decided to get a 902 4i instead. The scoring irons also had a tad too much offset for my liking, so I ordered 8-PW in the 623-M which I am currently waiting to arrive. Can’t wait! In love with my 902s.