Ping Eye 2 - How Does is stack Up vs Today’s clubs

LowAndLeft32

I have only returned to back to the game after a 15 year absence ( young family etc) .  I am still playing with my eye2s from 1989. They still preform well but I feel I lose a bit on distance against golfers with modern irons but that could be because I am in my 50s 😂. What I have noticed more is the woods and balls are of today are far superior . I bought a 2nd hand ping i15 driver which I easily hit 20 yards longer than my old Wilson fat shaft , which when you factor in I am 15/20 years older , it is a lot of distance and one off the toe or heel still goes. The balls help in instance too . They seem to go longer and straighter in flight . Johndfc 👍

• 1 month later...
On 5/22/2021 at 7:17 PM, LowAndLeft32 said:

I just got out my old set of Pings Eye 2. I cant believe how good I was hitting these irons. It was off mats but I might have to take the out to course for a spin. Questions for the group:

1. Who still gaming these?

2. Due to the lower bounce are these good for pickers?

3. Are these just as good as any of todays irons?

Bought a set of Eye2+ almost exactly nine years ago.  Hit them very high, which caused a gapping problem at the short end, so I put them away.  

Now at 58, I don't hit the ball nearly as high as I once did.  Have been thinking about re-using irons I've set aside for height reasons, so put the Pings back in the bag yesterday.

They played moderately well.  Definitely regained some of that lost trajectory, LOL.  Might keep them in bag, possibly try my ISI set...  was fun hitting them again.

Quite the visual adjustment looking down at the Eye2+ clubhead, compared to a Golden Ram, LOL.  Huge in comparison.

Answering your #2 and #3, yes, I'd say good for pickers/sweepers.  The CG is not as high as most modern sets, allowing you to reach it without having to hit the big ball first.  And they're fairly forgiving, marginally lower MOI than i200, but not to G410/G700 levels.  But, nothing else is G410/G700 level of forgiveness, either.  😉

Definitely worth the effort, if you don't mind the offset.

(Disclaimer:  I fully realize I'm responding to a five month old post, that resurrected a thread from 2020 😀)

Edited by NRJyzr
  • Like 2

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I bought a nice set of Eye 2's off of Ebay and hit them this weekend.  I think they were even better with modern balls.  Back when the Eye 2's were a thing, you had Top Flites, Titleist DTs, balatas or some iteration of surlyn covered rocks.  

I experimented a little this weekend.  A Top Flite XL from my shag bag vs premium TP5.  The Eye 2's responded really well to the TP5s but I got some NukEy BoiS from the XL.  TP5 stopped and sometimes spun back while the Top Flites.....not so much.

I can see why people loved the Eye 2s.   I'll keep using them as a "fun" set but keep my i210 gamers.

• Like 1

I usually play in several golf scrambles each year. Haven't had a season yet when one of the scrambles didn't have someone playing Ping Eye2 irons.

And not all of them are old-timers like me. I've seen 20-somethings playing them too!

Ping irons made their way onto PGA tour back in 1980s when some pros substituted the perimeter-weighted Eye2 2i and 3i for their traditional set long irons. Similar to today's pros having a couple of Gi irons at long end of the bag that's mostly musclebacks.

• Like 1

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

1 hour ago, postfold said:

If I stumble across a decent set of Eye2s I may just pick them up for a nephew who is just taking up the game. 

Do him a huge favor and buy i5's for the same price, or less.  After hitting them both, my strong opinion is that the i5 is significantly better in every meaningful way.

Woods/Fairways:  Callaway with Mitsubishi shafts

Irons:  Srixon with Dynamic Gold shafts

I dumped my G400/i200 mixed set to go strictly Eye2 in my main bag.  I'm still a big believer in Karsten's most inspired design and feel that they can keep up with anything newer...

Driver PING G SF Tec

Wood PING G (18.5*)

Irons PING G30 (6-SW)

Putter PING DS72 2021 (35")

Bag Jones Classic Stand

Cart Clicgear 3.5+

14 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

Bought a set of Eye2+ almost exactly nine years ago.  Hit them very high, which caused a gapping problem at the short end, so I put them away.  

Now at 58, I don't hit the ball nearly as high as I once did.  Have been thinking about re-using irons I've set aside for height reasons, so put the Pings back in the bag yesterday.

They played moderately well.  Definitely regained some of that lost trajectory, LOL.  Might keep them in bag, possibly try my ISI set...  was fun hitting them again.

Quite the visual adjustment looking down at the Eye2+ clubhead, compared to a Golden Ram, LOL.  Huge in comparison.

Answering your #2 and #3, yes, I'd say good for pickers/sweepers.  The CG is not as high as most modern sets, allowing you to reach it without having to hit the big ball first.  And they're fairly forgiving, marginally lower MOI than i200, but not to G410/G700 levels.  But, nothing else is G410/G700 level of forgiveness, either.  😉

Definitely worth the effort, if you don't mind the offset.

(Disclaimer:  I fully realize I'm responding to a five month old post, that resurrected a thread from 2020 😀)

I'll be interested to know how they compare to the ISIs if you can manage a comparison. Eyes and Eye2+ were already yesterday's news when I started playing (the Zing and Zing 2s were the popular clubs at the time). I demo'd ISIs and Titleist DCI 962s around the same time in late 1996. both were great, but I chose the Titleist. Always wondered if I made the right choice. I went through hell and back with those 962s. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MikeG said:

I'll be interested to know how they compare to the ISIs if you can manage a comparison. Eyes and Eye2+ were already yesterday's news when I started playing (the Zing and Zing 2s were the popular clubs at the time). I demo'd ISIs and Titleist DCI 962s around the same time in late 1996. both were great, but I chose the Titleist. Always wondered if I made the right choice. I went through hell and back with those 962s. 

I play both (Eye2s in my primary bag and ISIs in my backup).  I think the ISIs are marginally more forgiving due to the extra weight out on the toe.  What is surprising to me is how well the soles of both models interact with the turf.  I'm a sweeper/picker and find the sole width to be just right even though the ISIs are slightly thinner there in the center.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Driver PING G SF Tec

Wood PING G (18.5*)

Irons PING G30 (6-SW)

Bag Jones Classic Stand

Cart Clicgear 3.5+

10 hours ago, MikeG said:

This is something I've already experienced, a few years ago I played my ISI for a few months.

My Eye2+ have ZZ Lite shafts, my ISI have DGX.  I like the ISI sole a bit better than the Eye2, largely because the leading edge is a little straighter.  I found I hit the ISI higher than the Eye2+, club for club, which I find interesting as the ISI have slightly stronger lofts in the 6-PW.  Forgiveness, I find them fairly similar except that the low toe miss is more forgiven by the ISI.

I have the S2 and LW in the ISI.  The latter is especially lovely, both in sand and around the greens.

Where it gets a little odd...  I found my scores were a little worse with the ISI.  I'm not sure why that is.  I've always had a serious "thing" for the ISI, so I was disappointed at seeing slightly less good results; I really wanted them to work for me.  This is something strange that I've found with every CB set I've played, except for the Eye2+; my scores are always slightly better with the blades.  Which is part of why I grabbed the Eye2+ recently.  (it could be shaft related, which I've not tested)

I wouldn't take this as a result that will happen with you, or anyone else, should you (or anyone else) try both Eye2 and ISI.  It seems to be intrinsic to me.  It may not make sense, but then it doesn't make sense that I hit an Original One (or persimmons/laminates) better than a 460cc driver, either, LOL.  But I do.  <shrug>   

(side note, it's not club length or weight, they're all set up at 43.5" with same or similar shafts)

Sorry for the length.  🙂

Edited by NRJyzr
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

On 6/4/2020 at 5:59 PM, LowAndLeft32 said:

Wondering what if anything is materially better in today’s new supposedly hi tech irons vs Ping Eye 2 irons. Will todays clubs result in better performance, better forgiveness, straighter ball flight, etc? Obviously, today’s irons have more jacked up lofts. But could the Ping Eye 2 be played successfully today? What about tour pros using cavity backs today? Could they game the Eye 2 with little difference? Ultimately should I put my old Ping eye 2 set back in play? Thanks.

I shot my best round ever a couple years ago with OG Eye 2’s. In fact, I just put them back in my bag since I am in between iron sets right now. Most likely will play them all winter and then get fit in the spring for something new. 

my best 9 hole round was with I3 O-size. 

not sure why I keep swapping clubs!!!

drn92

Edited by drn92
  • Like 1

On 6/5/2020 at 7:10 PM, hammergolf said:

Loft for loft they would perform as good as any of the modern irons. The Eye 2, like many of Karsten’s inventions (custom fitting for iron length and lie angles, lob wedges, high toe wedges, heel toe weighted putters, adjustable lie and face angle hosels for woods, perimeter weighted irons) were completely revolutionary to the game. In fact, I would go so far to say that if they were to release an identical set but include today’s stronger lofts they would be a top performer.

Well said.  I completely agree.  I would love to play these heads with current lofts and head weights/shafts.  I would bet my scores would not change from the current clubs I play.

• 1 month later...
17 hours ago, hammergolf said:

If Ping did a “retro” release of the Eye2 irons in modern lofts with a touch more bounce on the sole they would sell every set they produced. I’ve even got the name for it….

Eye 2K

K for Karsten Solheim.

Eye2 irons with a bit less offset, moderately heavier head weights, modern touches (grooves, lofts, materials), and a multitude of shaft/grip options would sell out...

Edited by 14max
  • Like 2

Driver PING G SF Tec

Wood PING G (18.5*)

Irons PING G30 (6-SW)

Bag Jones Classic Stand

Cart Clicgear 3.5+

I was looping full-time when the Eye2's were all the rage on tour due to their spin characteristics.  I'm still a fan today.  Do they look funny compared to a blade or MB?  Yes.  Do they still perform?  You bet they do.  

While my daily set is Mizzy MP-18's, I still play my Eye2's multiple times a year with good results.  They are phenomenal for Zoysia fairways and on Donald Ross style greens.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I managed to buy a set of essentially brand new stainless steel eye 2+ irons (3 to SW). Ping confirmed they were manufactured in 1996. 

Black dot, standard length, completely original Dyla grips and JZ shafts in almost immaculate condition. They've been used for 18 holes apparently and some clubs look like they've never been hit. 

Not sure what I should do with them. For the experts out there, would you play them, save in a box or sell them on?

20211216_112230.jpg

20211215_154815.jpg

20211215_154801.jpg

20211216_112250.jpg

• Like 3

On 10/19/2021 at 10:25 AM, boggyman said:

Ever look around the range or sneak a peek at bags while at a large, local scramble?? They’re still out in the wild for a reason, they’re indestructible and withstand the test of time. Yes, they’re one club weaker but I couldn’t care less about that. Still a great set with the right shafts! 

Yep there are a lot of them still in bags down here especially among the retirees--- One guy I know in his mid 70s who still shoots his age plays a set of Eye2s he has had since they were new. Go into his man cave garage and he has maybe 10 sets of Eye2s not counting the extra wedges etc. He will buy every eye 2 he sees. At a neighboring course here there are a plethera of retirees in their 70s that play Eye2s and like R-1 drivers etc. The guys in the Men's league at my course will not mess with them.  I know one other guy who plays good that plays Eye2 irons along with original Eye2 woods he is in the before mentioned group. LOL he still has them in a raggety original Hoofer bag. Even though by nature I am a dyed in the wool blade man I will give credit where credit is due. IMHO the Eye2 is a timeless classic design

• Like 2

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

34 minutes ago, royalgingerness said:

I managed to buy a set of essentially brand new stainless steel eye 2+ irons (3 to SW). Ping confirmed they were manufactured in 1996. 

Black dot, standard length, completely original Dyla grips and JZ shafts in almost immaculate condition. They've been used for 18 holes apparently and some clubs look like they've never been hit. 

Not sure what I should do with them. For the experts out there, would you play them, save in a box or sell them on?

20211216_112230.jpg

20211215_154815.jpg

20211215_154801.jpg

20211216_112250.jpg

Personally I would practice and play them some to see how they fit your swing and game--- If they work out play them if not then sell them. 

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

On 5/23/2021 at 5:21 PM, RobotDoctor said:

It would be interesting if all club endorsement money ceased to see what players would actually be playing. I am sure some older players might revert back to the Eye 2 irons.

Sadly, other than the reissued wedges, it's off to a non-starter thanks to the USGA and R&A's crackpot rule of banning old irons to address a new ball and driver issue.

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Pal

33 minutes ago, AngryGilmore said:

I have a set of copper Eye2's (that I probably overpaid for, but I wanted a set) on the way.  It's December so golf season is pretty much over here so I'm in no hurry.

I did the same... Definitely overpaid a few months ago. Zero regrets. Enjoy them! 

3D284C68-4BAB-4D86-8B9B-9AA37B4C7ACF.jpeg

Edited by Jab3384
  • Like 3

On 5/29/2021 at 7:31 PM, BHI 99 said:

Back in the day it seemed like the standard “bag” was Ping Eye 2’s, Callaway Big Bertha woods, and a Ping Answer 2. 

Had a single join us last week and that is exactly what was in his bag.  Judging by his car, he could certainly afford newer stuff but said he liked the old faithfuls.

On 12/6/2021 at 7:18 PM, hammergolf said:

If Ping did a “retro” release of the Eye2 irons in modern lofts with a touch more bounce on the sole they would sell every set they produced. I’ve even got the name for it….

Eye 2K

K for Karsten Solheim.

People said the same kinds of things about the Eye 2 wedges. Nobody bought them. I expect irons would be the same.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

5 hours ago, BIG STU said:

Yep there are a lot of them still in bags down here especially among the retirees--- One guy I know in his mid 70s who still shoots his age plays a set of Eye2s he has had since they were new. Go into his man cave garage and he has maybe 10 sets of Eye2s not counting the extra wedges etc. He will buy every eye 2 he sees. At a neighboring course here there are a plethera of retirees in their 70s that play Eye2s and like R-1 drivers etc. The guys in the Men's league at my course will not mess with them.  I know one other guy who plays good that plays Eye2 irons along with original Eye2 woods he is in the before mentioned group. LOL he still has them in a raggety original Hoofer bag. Even though by nature I am a dyed in the wool blade man I will give credit where credit is due. IMHO the Eye2 is a timeless classic design

Guy at home plays a set of Copper 2s he’s had since they were new. They’ve been reshafted numerous times since he says, dude shoots par or less everyday. Watched him card a 63 one day. Now that was a sight for sure! Got me wanting another set now. Have a set ofZZ Lite shafts in corner of garage begging to be put to use 😜

• Like 1

Just thought about this, they could take the original molds, and just make two minor changes to it:

1 Change the number on the face and the bottom club to make the lofts stronger. I.e. take the “old” 7 iron mold and change the numbers to 8.

2 Drill holes on the heel and toe of the face of the iron and add 6-8 grams of tungsten in the heel and toe. 

This gives you the stronger modern lofts and increased head weights to achieve higher swing weights and add forgiveness.

Voila… The Eye2 K

• Like 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

14 hours ago, Bad9 said:

People said the same kinds of things about the Eye 2 wedges. Nobody bought them. I expect irons would be the same.

There were a bunch of Eye 2 XG Wedges sold.in fact demand is still high enough for Eye2 that wedges still go for $100-$250 regularly. Hell I sold one of my Eye2 BeCu Lob wedges for $250 a couple months ago.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip