Ping Eye 2 - How Does is stack Up vs Today’s clubs

LowAndLeft32

I have only returned to back to the game after a 15 year absence ( young family etc) .  I am still playing with my eye2s from 1989. They still preform well but I feel I lose a bit on distance against golfers with modern irons but that could be because I am in my 50s 😂. What I have noticed more is the woods and balls are of today are far superior . I bought a 2nd hand ping i15 driver which I easily hit 20 yards longer than my old Wilson fat shaft , which when you factor in I am 15/20 years older , it is a lot of distance and one off the toe or heel still goes. The balls help in instance too . They seem to go longer and straighter in flight . Johndfc 👍

• 1 month later...
On 5/22/2021 at 7:17 PM, LowAndLeft32 said:

I just got out my old set of Pings Eye 2. I cant believe how good I was hitting these irons. It was off mats but I might have to take the out to course for a spin. Questions for the group:

1. Who still gaming these?

2. Due to the lower bounce are these good for pickers?

3. Are these just as good as any of todays irons?

Bought a set of Eye2+ almost exactly nine years ago.  Hit them very high, which caused a gapping problem at the short end, so I put them away.  

Now at 58, I don't hit the ball nearly as high as I once did.  Have been thinking about re-using irons I've set aside for height reasons, so put the Pings back in the bag yesterday.

They played moderately well.  Definitely regained some of that lost trajectory, LOL.  Might keep them in bag, possibly try my ISI set...  was fun hitting them again.

Quite the visual adjustment looking down at the Eye2+ clubhead, compared to a Golden Ram, LOL.  Huge in comparison.

Answering your #2 and #3, yes, I'd say good for pickers/sweepers.  The CG is not as high as most modern sets, allowing you to reach it without having to hit the big ball first.  And they're fairly forgiving, marginally lower MOI than i200, but not to G410/G700 levels.  But, nothing else is G410/G700 level of forgiveness, either.  😉

Definitely worth the effort, if you don't mind the offset.

(Disclaimer:  I fully realize I'm responding to a five month old post, that resurrected a thread from 2020 😀)

Edited by NRJyzr
  • Like 2

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: Original One 11.5* (tuned down), NV75 X -or- SpeedZone 10.5*, Aldila ProtoPype 80S, <44" TBD

3w: King LTD, Aldila RIP Beta 90 X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 X
Hybrid:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour 2h or 3h, NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S

Irons grab bag:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4; 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; PM Grind 19 58* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34"
Balls: Wilson Staff Duo Professional, TaylorMade TP5, Chrome Soft custom TruVis

GripMaster Roo or Kidd leather grips

I bought a nice set of Eye 2's off of Ebay and hit them this weekend.  I think they were even better with modern balls.  Back when the Eye 2's were a thing, you had Top Flites, Titleist DTs, balatas or some iteration of surlyn covered rocks.  

I experimented a little this weekend.  A Top Flite XL from my shag bag vs premium TP5.  The Eye 2's responded really well to the TP5s but I got some NukEy BoiS from the XL.  TP5 stopped and sometimes spun back while the Top Flites.....not so much.

I can see why people loved the Eye 2s.   I'll keep using them as a "fun" set but keep my i210 gamers.

• Like 1

I usually play in several golf scrambles each year. Haven't had a season yet when one of the scrambles didn't have someone playing Ping Eye2 irons.

And not all of them are old-timers like me. I've seen 20-somethings playing them too!

Ping irons made their way onto PGA tour back in 1980s when some pros substituted the perimeter-weighted Eye2 2i and 3i for their traditional set long irons. Similar to today's pros having a couple of Gi irons at long end of the bag that's mostly musclebacks.

What's In The Bag (Summary as of October 2021, post-MAX changeover)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5°, set 9.5°; weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

For details see:  Pending (need protocol to embed file list).

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

I dumped my G400/i200 mixed set to go strictly Eye2 in my main bag.  I'm still a big believer in Karsten's most inspired design and feel that they can keep up with anything newer...

Callaway MAVRIK MAX (10.5*/3/5/7)

PING ie1 (5-UW)

PING Eye2 XG (SW/LW)

PING Vault 2.0 Piper

Callaway X460 (10*)

Callaway GBB Hawk Eye (3/5/7)

PING Eye2 PAT PENDING (4-PW)

PING Eye2 XG (SW/LW)

PING WRX Redwood Piper S

14 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

Bought a set of Eye2+ almost exactly nine years ago.  Hit them very high, which caused a gapping problem at the short end, so I put them away.  

Now at 58, I don't hit the ball nearly as high as I once did.  Have been thinking about re-using irons I've set aside for height reasons, so put the Pings back in the bag yesterday.

They played moderately well.  Definitely regained some of that lost trajectory, LOL.  Might keep them in bag, possibly try my ISI set...  was fun hitting them again.

Quite the visual adjustment looking down at the Eye2+ clubhead, compared to a Golden Ram, LOL.  Huge in comparison.

Answering your #2 and #3, yes, I'd say good for pickers/sweepers.  The CG is not as high as most modern sets, allowing you to reach it without having to hit the big ball first.  And they're fairly forgiving, marginally lower MOI than i200, but not to G410/G700 levels.  But, nothing else is G410/G700 level of forgiveness, either.  😉

Definitely worth the effort, if you don't mind the offset.

(Disclaimer:  I fully realize I'm responding to a five month old post, that resurrected a thread from 2020 😀)

I'll be interested to know how they compare to the ISIs if you can manage a comparison. Eyes and Eye2+ were already yesterday's news when I started playing (the Zing and Zing 2s were the popular clubs at the time). I demo'd ISIs and Titleist DCI 962s around the same time in late 1996. both were great, but I chose the Titleist. Always wondered if I made the right choice. I went through hell and back with those 962s. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MikeG said:

I'll be interested to know how they compare to the ISIs if you can manage a comparison. Eyes and Eye2+ were already yesterday's news when I started playing (the Zing and Zing 2s were the popular clubs at the time). I demo'd ISIs and Titleist DCI 962s around the same time in late 1996. both were great, but I chose the Titleist. Always wondered if I made the right choice. I went through hell and back with those 962s. 

I play both (Eye2s in my primary bag and ISIs in my backup).  I think the ISIs are marginally more forgiving due to the extra weight out on the toe.  What is surprising to me is how well the soles of both models interact with the turf.  I'm a sweeper/picker and find the sole width to be just right even though the ISIs are slightly thinner there in the center.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

PING ie1 (5-UW)

PING Eye2 XG (SW/LW)

PING Vault 2.0 Piper

Callaway X460 (10*)

PING Eye2 XG (SW/LW)

PING WRX Redwood Piper S

10 hours ago, MikeG said:

This is something I've already experienced, a few years ago I played my ISI for a few months.

My Eye2+ have ZZ Lite shafts, my ISI have DGX.  I like the ISI sole a bit better than the Eye2, largely because the leading edge is a little straighter.  I found I hit the ISI higher than the Eye2+, club for club, which I find interesting as the ISI have slightly stronger lofts in the 6-PW.  Forgiveness, I find them fairly similar except that the low toe miss is more forgiven by the ISI.

I have the S2 and LW in the ISI.  The latter is especially lovely, both in sand and around the greens.

Where it gets a little odd...  I found my scores were a little worse with the ISI.  I'm not sure why that is.  I've always had a serious "thing" for the ISI, so I was disappointed at seeing slightly less good results; I really wanted them to work for me.  This is something strange that I've found with every CB set I've played, except for the Eye2+; my scores are always slightly better with the blades.  Which is part of why I grabbed the Eye2+ recently.  (it could be shaft related, which I've not tested)

I wouldn't take this as a result that will happen with you, or anyone else, should you (or anyone else) try both Eye2 and ISI.  It seems to be intrinsic to me.  It may not make sense, but then it doesn't make sense that I hit an Original One (or persimmons/laminates) better than a 460cc driver, either, LOL.  But I do.  <shrug>   

(side note, it's not club length or weight, they're all set up at 43.5" with same or similar shafts)

Sorry for the length.  🙂

Edited by NRJyzr
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: Original One 11.5* (tuned down), NV75 X -or- SpeedZone 10.5*, Aldila ProtoPype 80S, <44" TBD

3w: King LTD, Aldila RIP Beta 90 X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 X
Hybrid:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour 2h or 3h, NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S

Irons grab bag:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4; 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; PM Grind 19 58* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34"
Balls: Wilson Staff Duo Professional, TaylorMade TP5, Chrome Soft custom TruVis

GripMaster Roo or Kidd leather grips

On 6/4/2020 at 5:59 PM, LowAndLeft32 said:

Wondering what if anything is materially better in today’s new supposedly hi tech irons vs Ping Eye 2 irons. Will todays clubs result in better performance, better forgiveness, straighter ball flight, etc? Obviously, today’s irons have more jacked up lofts. But could the Ping Eye 2 be played successfully today? What about tour pros using cavity backs today? Could they game the Eye 2 with little difference? Ultimately should I put my old Ping eye 2 set back in play? Thanks.

I shot my best round ever a couple years ago with OG Eye 2’s. In fact, I just put them back in my bag since I am in between iron sets right now. Most likely will play them all winter and then get fit in the spring for something new. 

my best 9 hole round was with I3 O-size. 

not sure why I keep swapping clubs!!!

drn92

Edited by drn92
  • Like 1

On 6/5/2020 at 7:10 PM, hammergolf said:

Loft for loft they would perform as good as any of the modern irons. The Eye 2, like many of Karsten’s inventions (custom fitting for iron length and lie angles, lob wedges, high toe wedges, heel toe weighted putters, adjustable lie and face angle hosels for woods, perimeter weighted irons) were completely revolutionary to the game. In fact, I would go so far to say that if they were to release an identical set but include today’s stronger lofts they would be a top performer.

Well said.  I completely agree.  I would love to play these heads with current lofts and head weights/shafts.  I would bet my scores would not change from the current clubs I play.

• 1 month later...

If Ping did a “retro” release of the Eye2 irons in modern lofts with a touch more bounce on the sole they would sell every set they produced. I’ve even got the name for it….

Eye 2K

K for Karsten Solheim.

Edited by hammergolf
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Aldila Quaranta Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Grafalloy Pro lite 3.5 Reg
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Graffaloy Pro Lite 3.5 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Aldila NVS 85 Reg
PXG Gen 3 0311XP 5-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Reg

Ping Tour-S Raw 56* @ 55, 60* KBS Tour 90 Wrx combo grind
Evnroll ER8 33”

17 hours ago, hammergolf said:

If Ping did a “retro” release of the Eye2 irons in modern lofts with a touch more bounce on the sole they would sell every set they produced. I’ve even got the name for it….

Eye 2K

K for Karsten Solheim.

Eye2 irons with a bit less offset, moderately heavier head weights, modern touches (grooves, lofts, materials), and a multitude of shaft/grip options would sell out...

Edited by 14max
  • Like 1

PING ie1 (5-UW)

PING Eye2 XG (SW/LW)

PING Vault 2.0 Piper

Callaway X460 (10*)

PING Eye2 XG (SW/LW)

PING WRX Redwood Piper S

I was looping full-time when the Eye2's were all the rage on tour due to their spin characteristics.  I'm still a fan today.  Do they look funny compared to a blade or MB?  Yes.  Do they still perform?  You bet they do.  

While my daily set is Mizzy MP-18's, I still play my Eye2's multiple times a year with good results.  They are phenomenal for Zoysia fairways and on Donald Ross style greens.

• Like 1