Putters with hotter faces?

I've got a Spider Tour and love the look and how it sets up, but I feel like on anything longer than about 15 feet I'm just perpetually leaving putts short. What are some putters you'd recommend that have "hotter" faces that may assist in getting a little more roll out? Note: I realize a different putter isn't a magic fix for any stroke issues. I'm low handicap player and play fine but find myself always in that three foot or so short range on longer putts. My thinking is if I could simply find something to give me just a little more roll and all things else staying the same (so I don't have to adjust the feel of the stroke and how my eyes/brain see it), I'll have gimme tap ins a lot more instead of grinding over three foot par putts all day.

Am I crazy for thinking putts come off the Spider Tour a little soft and slow?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Natalie Gulbis Paige Spiranac 5 years ago Holly Sonders Jaye Marie Green Those are just a few...

I went through the same thing with an Odyssey WHP 7, and a Ping CrazE I played. I felt like I had to pound lag putts. The good news was the 3 footers I left myself were a LOT easier to make with those putters.

I don't have that problem with either of the non insert putters I play now. The Cleveland HB Soft 11 is a great balance for both lags and must makes.

Taylormade 16 M2 9.5* (Tensei Orange R flex)

Taylormade Orig RBZ HL3 17* (Stock Xcon 5 Ozik S flex)

Taylormade 05 FCT 21*, 23.5* (Aldila RIP 85 S flex)

Srixon 745 5-PW (DG Lite S300)

Titleist Vokey SM6 52.12, 56.14, 60.12 K grind

Acushnet Bulls Eye W FL O.

No glove and Lamkin Crossline Blks

This is exactly why I've been hesitant to even go down this path and pose the question; I do make a lot of short range putts. Even on the grinders I tend to leave myself, I'm usually making most of them. Rounds of golf would just be so much more enjoyable to not have them EVERY. SINGLE. HOLE.

I've heard that the non-insert putters do offer a little more pop off the face. Seems a lot of people suggest that the grooves on a lot of the faces today do make them a little softer and balls not pop as much, but I'm not sure if there's any truth to that?

I'll take a look at the Cleveland putters. They do tend to make some nice looking and feeling putters for affordable prices. I putted around with the new Heppler line a bit at the store the other day and I'm a huge fan of the feel and acoustics of those at impact. I'm a little worried about the weight though. Seems putter heads keep getting heavier and heavier and from what I've heard putting experts like David Orr say, heavier putters tend to just kill most people on the greens and most everyone would be better suited with something lighter.

ok, I had that model too. Liked it a whole lot more than the soft face. So regarding the white hot, I have a white hot blade putter and the thing is like a trampoline off the face. Definitely makes getting the ball to the hole easy. It's great for slow greens. I will say, on fast greens, it's a little more challenging to get your speed right.

One trick you might try that i do (rather than buy a new putter) is put the ball slightly back in your stance (say another couple inches compared to normal) and compress it by hitting more down on it. Typically for short and mid range putts I like to hit slightly up on the ball giving it the ideal spin and direction off the face but on longer putts where the goal is simply getting it close, slightly back in the stance and compressing the ball allows me to take a shorter controlled swing yet get the ball to cover a longer distance. It does require practice to get the hang of it.

Bounces are possible, especially on mishits. I'd avoid doing it on the fringe as well because of that but generally speaking, with a well struck compressed shot, you shouldn't have much bounce. I will be honest that I find this a lot easier to do with a blade versus a mallet but figured it's worth a shot for you to try it out for 30 minutes on a putting green and see if that helps fix your issue.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Our picks

• 2021 RBC Heritage - discussions and links
      Please post any questions and comments here.

2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #1
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #2
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #3
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #4
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #5
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #6
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #7
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #8
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #9
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #10

2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #1
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #2
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #3
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #4
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #5
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #6
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #7
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #8
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #9
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #10

Custom Cameron putters - 2021 RBC Heritage
      Bettinardi putter - 2021 RBC Heritage
      Robert Streb's custom stamped Vokey wedge - 2021 RBC Heritage
      Ben An's custom stamped Vokey - 2021 RBC Heritage
      • 15 replies
    • 2021 Valero Texas Open - discussion & links
      Please put any questions or comments here. 

This week, the PGA Tour is at TPC San Antonio on the Oaks Course for the Valero Texas Open. GolfWRX was on-site Tuesday to catch a glimpse into the bags of some of the world’s top golfers.

The field of 144 is getting ready to battle starting Thursday for the $7.7 million purse, with $1.386 million going to the winner. The tournament is also the last event where players can qualify for The Masters, just like Canadian Corey Conners did last year.

Check out our "Most interesting photos" Part 1, and Part 2.

2021 Valero Texas Open - Tuesday #1 2021 Valero Texas Open - Tuesday #2 2021 Valero Texas Open - Tuesday #3 2021 Valero Texas Open - Tuesday #4 2021 Valero Texas Open - Tuesday #5 2021 Valero Texas Open - Tuesday #6 2021 Valero Texas Open - Tuesday #7 2021 Valero Texas Open - Tuesday #8  

Cameron putters (added Bernd Wiesberger's custom T-11) -2021 Valero Texas Open Piretti putters -2021 Valero Texas Open Branden Grace testing AutoFlex shaft @ 2021 Valero Texas Open  
      Check out our "Most interesting photos" Part 1, and Part 2.

• 29 replies
    • **GIVEAWAY** Odyssey Ten Triple Track Putter! ENTER NOW!
      NEW Odyssey Ten Triple Track putter giveaway!!!.To enter reply in this thread that you're IN!

That's it. You'll be entered into the giveaway (one entry per person). Winner chosen at random in two weeks. Be sure to check out the attached pics. Good luck!

If you are not a member her please register here to allow you to reply to this post and enter. Registration is free... https://forums.golfwrx.com/register/
      ======================================================================================================
      We randomize all the number of posts and the #1 number on the top is the winner. Say there is 1,000 replies from members. We will randomize 1 to 1,000 using a website that has a randomizer. It scrambles the numbers and the #1 is the first place and the #2 is the second etc. If the winner has duplicate entries we count the first

• 1,599 replies
    • 2021 WGC Dell Technologies Match Play - discussion and links
      Please put any questions or comments here

2021 WGC Dell Technologies Match Play - Monday #1
      2021 WGC Dell Technologies Match Play - Monday #2
      2021 WGC Dell Technologies Match Play - Monday #3
      2021 WGC Dell Technologies Match Play - Monday #4
      2021 WGC Dell Technologies Match Play - Monday #5
      2021 WGC Dell Technologies Match Play - Monday #6

Hideki testing putters at WGC Dell Technologies Match Play
      Odyssey/Toulon Atlanta putter - 2021 WGC Dell Technologies Match Play
      Cameron putters - 2021 WGC Dell Technologies Match Play