Who got along with the Taylormade SLDR? What did you move to after?

OrangeGravy

I found an old 12* SLDR driver after my FT Tour head cracked and put in a Rip Phemom 70TX at 44". I have it set one notch from lower and it performs really well for me. For those of you who got along with the SLDR back in the day, what did you move on to that had similar "good" qualities? I'm looking to add something newer to the stable. I like to have at least a couple of drivers laying around that I can go to if something goes awry!

I played a SLDR 430 for several seasons and tried every low spin TM since (2016 M1, 2017 M1, M3, M5, SIM). My preference in order is SIM, 2017 M1, M3, M5, 2016 M1. I have only had the SIM a few days but am really liking it. I have struggled with the driver the last two seasons but through about 54 holes, the SIM has been the best combination of length and accuracy I have had in quite some time.

SIM 10.5* Ventus Blue Velocore 6x
SIM 3W Ventus Blue Velocore 7x
UDI 2 iron, Ventus Blue 10X
HMB 4&5, MP20 6-P Modus 125x
SM8 50F, 55S, 60L Modus 125x
Newport

The SLDR was great if you had enough speed. I watched people with sub 90 swing speeds struggle to keep even the 12 degree heads in the air.

• Like 1

Driver: Titleist TSi3 Ventus blue 6x

3 wood: Titleist Tsi2 15 Ventus blue 7x

& Wood: Titleist TSi2 Ventus Red 9X
Taylormade Gapr low 2 ventus blue 9x
4-PW Cobra king forged CB KBS $ Taper 130 X flex
Wedges 50, 54, 60 Cleveland ZIPCORE
PUTTER; LAB DF2.1
BALL; Bridgestone BX, OR Taylomade TP5x PIX

Ha, I played an amazing 10 holes with the sldr... then tried to hit an aggressive draw, shanked it and couldn’t hit it the rest of the round. I’m not sure if that counts as getting along with, though.

i really like my cobra Ltd pro, and I’m always chasing lower spin.

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

I was a fan of the SLDR. I thought it worked great.

Driver: Titleist TSi3 Ventus blue 6x

3 wood: Titleist Tsi2 15 Ventus blue 7x

& Wood: Titleist TSi2 Ventus Red 9X
Taylormade Gapr low 2 ventus blue 9x
4-PW Cobra king forged CB KBS $ Taper 130 X flex
Wedges 50, 54, 60 Cleveland ZIPCORE
PUTTER; LAB DF2.1
BALL; Bridgestone BX, OR Taylomade TP5x PIX

Possibly amusingly, I'm about to try taking my SLDR White to the course for my next round in a few days. I bought it well after the fact, largely out of curiosity. It came with a Motore Speeder 6.3 TS in X, which is a wee bit light for me at 67g. Only have hit it over a couple rounds on course, with some moderately positive results, figure I should give it a bit of play and see what I get.

I've just cut it down to my time tested effective max driver length, 44.5".

I also have an RIP Alpha 70, in case I decide to branch out from the Motore Speeder. Or if I want to get cute, I could plug an NV105 in it...

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: Original One 11.5* (tuned down), NV75 X -or- SpeedZone 10.5*, Aldila ProtoPype 80S, <44" TBD

3w: King LTD, Aldila RIP Beta 90 X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 X
Hybrid:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour 2h or 3h, NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S

Irons grab bag:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4; 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; PM Grind 19 58* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34"
Balls: Wilson Staff Duo Professional, TaylorMade TP5, Chrome Soft custom TruVis

GripMaster Roo or Kidd leather grips

The same time I acquired the SLDR, I also got a SLDR 5W with the stock speeder shaft. It's my favorite wood head. It's so small it's almost a hybrid. I love it. I'm very fortunate to have access to large shed full of old clubs. It's a mother to navigate because there's bags piled on bags and it's dirty, but I've pulled a ton of treasures out of there. The guy puts any "newer" stuff aside for me if he gets it. Last summer an older gentlemen retired from playing and dropped off a few sets of irons. My buddy called me to come grab them if I wanted. Old Pings he said. I showed up and it was a set of I3 O-Size, Ping Eye 2 +no+ (3-LW), 3-SW ISI Nickel, 3-SW ISI BeCU, 4-PW DCI, 3-PW T-Zoid Pro. Jack Pot!

Man I miss the old days around here when Bobcat would pounce on this thread with a 14 paragraph breakdown of the qualities of his beloved SLDR-C. It was always good entertainment...I moved all the way off of the low spin chase to a moderately low spin head with more forgiveness. Ping G400 LST to what I play now in the G410LST..fairways are more fun for me.

I was thinking exactly the same thing. Did Bobcat miss his cue? Disappointing...

Some combo of any or all:

M5 w/ Px Evenflow Blue 65 6.0 / Ping G400 LST 10* w/ Px Evenflow Blue 75 6.0
Rogue SZ 15* w/ Px Evenflow Blue 75 6.0
Cally 416 19* Hybrid w/ Diamana S+ 82g Stiff
4-PW: JPX 921 Forged w/ F3 Recoil 95's / Callaway (OG) Apex w/ KBS PGI 80g / Bridgestone J40 Combo 4-P w/ Steelfiber i95 Stiff
52*, 56* Vokey SM5's

60* Wilson Staff
Ping Ti Anser Wrx

I used to bomb the f*** out of that thing. Loft up, tee up...swing as hard as I possibly could. I used to play a game about how long I could keep a ball in the air with it. Fun times.

I also used to make fun of it constantly. Only better fodder to be had was "Rocketballz."

Cobra Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 6.5

Titleist Ts2 16/Elements Wind 8f5

Srixon u85 20/Recoil 95

Srixon z785 4-pw/Dynamic Gold s400

Cleveland Rtx4 50, 54, 60/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Srixon Z Star XV

I will say for me at least, NOTHING out there is even close to the distance you get from a correctly fit SLDR. Just effortless springboard effect, and insane distance if you could be consistent enough to find the tiny sweetspot about half the time or more lol. I've really been looking for the same thing, and so far haven't found a single driver that even comes close to the look/feel let along performance of my SLDR 430. The FW woods were also great looking and very strong performers. I still play the mini, and the hybrid from the line and those will likely stay in the bag until they fall apart but the driver I had to move on from because it was just too tough on the bad swings. I still have it and use it from time to time, but at least for the time being I roll with the G400 as its way more friendly, even at the cost of distance. I tried the 440 M1 in hopes it would be similar, but it wasnt the same and moved on from that.

The SLDR line was such excellent clubs, but just were a bit misunderstood. In most WRX form, people just rushed and grabbed them off the shelf to have the new model but it was really important that you got fit for them and had the right speed to use them or it would go horribly.

G400 LST | SLDR MINI |PXG 0317x  

Nike Vapor Speed 4i | 5-GW T100S Black 

Fourteen RM Tour | TM Hi-Toe

Toulon Atlanta
WITB

Totally agree. I probably had it the same length of time, and just moved on because there was no real redeeming factor to it for me. Didnt feel great, perform that well, and was kind of ugly. Was the first one I tried in replacing the SLDR, but it was very quickly bounced.

G400 LST | SLDR MINI |PXG 0317x  

Nike Vapor Speed 4i | 5-GW T100S Black 

Fourteen RM Tour | TM Hi-Toe

Toulon Atlanta
WITB

I proudly gamed a 10* Japanese 430 SLDR from late 2013 to 2018. Coming from busting my last FT-9TA and hating the replacement Razr Hawk, I happened to hit a SLDR one of my playing partners had and although the shaft was wrong, I could see this was the right clubhead for me. I ended up with a 80-gr. Ka'ili in it and this thing was the most consistently long, driver combo I've ever bagged. It was also the most demanding. You had to find the sweet spot or you were in a bind, simple as that. When I had my A game swing, I was in the money. If not, it was a 3-wood off the tee kinda day. I've never hooked a driver as much as I did the SLDR although after applying the "Bobcat fix" the left-hand turns were reduced quite a bit.

It's still the number 2 driver in the stable and I get it out from time to time to remind myself I'm not as fast nor as good as I used to be.

Replaced it with a '16 TI M2.

Edited by nitram

TaylorMade JDM SLDR TP 430 10*           Diamana X17 60X

TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 15*                           Diamana ZF 80TX

Bridgestone J33 AirMuscle 18*                 Velyx Rome Wildeye 988X
MIURA CB 57  4-6                                     MCI MMT-125TX

MIURA MB-001  7-P                                  MCI MMT-125TX
Chikara V1 Proto  52, 57, 60                      MCI MMT-125TX (8-iron)

Cameron 009 1.5 34/350 Beached Prototype (A010656)

Couldn't agree more! I used(and still have the head in the closet) a tour issue 460 SLDR with a UST Elements chrome and at times would hit some head scratching deep drives with it. Went to the 2016 and 2017 M1's after it and they were solid, didn't have as many wild misses with it that I sometimes had with the SLDR but it couldn't keep up with some of the drives I could hit with the SLDR. Tried to go back to it once or twice but the magic was gone lol! Been playing a Flash SZ triple diamond for over a year now and its the best I have felt about a driver since the SLDR.

Driver: Titleist TSi3 9* w/Aldila Rogue White 130 70TX

3 Wood: Titleist TSi 2 15* w/Tensei Pro Blue 70TX

5 Wood: Titleist TSi 2 18* w/Aldila Rogue White 130 80 TX

Titleist T-200 Utility 3 iron w/Project X 6.5 Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 90

Irons: Titleist T-200 4 iron w/Project X 6.5

Titleist T-100S 5-PW w/Project X 6.5

Wedges: SM8 Raw 52F & 58T grind w/Project X 6.0

Putter: Custom Slighter Tacoma

I fell in love with the SLDR 430 head. The look was awesome and the lower spin was great. I switched to the M3 440 when that came out due to the twist face hype and it was indeed better. When my second M3 cracked I was upgraded to the M5 tour and this driver is even better. Best combination of distance, spin, and accuracy I have ever had. We will see when the next big driver advancement is, but I don't personally think the SIM is any better.

I've had it in the bag for probably about 15-20 rounds and it's as reliable if not more reliable than anything else I've had. My other driver is a 913 D2 that I borrowed from a friend when my FT Tour cracked. It has the Lighter blue S+ stiff shaft in it. I hit it pretty well, but sometimes I get the super high over draw/hook with it if I try to get on one. I need to get another shaft in that to see if it helps a bit. My miss with the SLDR with the Phenom 70TX the occasional fan to the right. I have to really get flat trying to draw it to get the snap hook with it. I've had a few 10 yd pull draws with it, but they're still playable. If I make that same swing with the 913, it's a 30+ yard sweeping hook. I think most of that is shaft, but dam, I've hit some really nice long drives with the SLDR that were misses. There's something that fits about that dam head and I don't know what it is.

Still miss the days trying to sort this out during my lunchtime break. I had the same head as Nitram, the jap 10 degree TP head. I got to the point where i used the Bobcat fix, put lead under the toe weight, then added another toeside weight. The whole thing just became too heavy and i moved on. Probably still moving on but no longer see some of the strangest shots i've ever hit. If you got outside the line and over the top that thing would belt you in the left lug. Can still remember those mile high long draws though, real rockets. Had all sorts since but the highlights have been my last 2, a TS4 which has just lost the spot to a Flash sz triple diamond. Next battle will no doubt be coming up soon, might give Mizzy another go unless i can get an 8 degree Sim at a steal.

In his mind he is looking for a new head, tho his playing partners can’t believe JP would consider changing. He drives the ball really well and much longer than any of them. BUT...he feels that having to be so very precise is a mixed bag. He also suffers from coveting these new drivers. He hit the Mavrik driver and it felt like point and click golf. The sldr tp head ‘feels’ heavier than current heads but that could be mental. JP wonders if he could add 10-15 yards of distance to torment his friends into further submission to his greatness. Is that so much to ask?

Taylormade M5 Tour 10.5* 

Taylormade M6 18*

Titleist 818 H2 21*

Titleist 718 T-MB 24*

Titleist 718 AP2 5-GW

Mizuno MP R12 54*, 60*

Odyssey WH #6

I will have to agree. My SLDR did produce some freakishly long drives for me. Obviously it's not the most forgiving lol. But when you catch it there's nothing I've ever hit that is longer.I really like the SIM driver I'm playing now. It's plenty long and it's pretty forgiving too. And certainly I'd think my average driving distance is probably slightly better with the SIM. But those occasional bombs (the ones you just couldn't explain) were a lot of fun. Don't plan on taking the SIM out of the bag, but I am going to take the SLDR to the course and do some head to head testing to confirm.

But to answer the original question, it looks great, it sounds and feels good, it will produce some of the longest drives you've ever hit, and it will punish you like no modern driver can when you miss it lol.

Mizuno ST-Z 9.5* PX Smoke RDX 60S
Exotics C721 15* PX Smoke RDX 70S
Exotics C721 19* PX Smoke RDX 80S
Mizuno 921 Hot Metal 4-AW Neo S
Titleist SM8 Black 52*,58* TT S200
L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1
Pro V1

The whole sldr wood lineup was as close to a pefect in head shape and size I could want. 430 head...perfect. as others have said, hooked up with right shaft, it went forever.... Till I crushed a couple faces in...if I remember there were some issues with that happening...even on moderate swing speed players