Anyone use Golf Logix yardage books?

Tried using the app for the green reading, but the course I play doesn't have good internet and never could get it to connect.

I noticed on their website that they sell yardage books with the green information included.

Has anyone ever used their yardage books? Green reading is my weakest link in golf. I'm a good putter when I play scrambles and can have other people show me the line. Hoping this can help me out.

I just ordered one in preparation for the Ohio Mid-Am in August, since I will only have one practice round have not played the course prior.

I'll report back once it arrives.

• Like 2

Cobra Radspeed (10)

Cobra Radspeed Big Tour (14.5)

Cobra F8+ (19)

Cobra King Tec Hybrid (24)

Cobra Forged Tour (5-PW)

Cobra Black (50, 54)

Cobra Black Snakebite (58)

PING Heppler Fetch

Snell MTB Prime

If a paper version of the app and you play same course frequently should be of value, the app is pretty cool and having a 'real' yardage book is great help.

2021 Bag Update:

Epic Max LS - MMT 60S

Epic Flash 5 Wood

Epic 3/4 Hybrids

Apex '21 Irons 5-7  MMT95 TT

Apex Pro '21 Irons 8-A  MMT95 TT

PM Grind Slate Wedges 58/64

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

B330 XS Yellow

I just started using them this year so my experience is a little limited, but I have a few of these books for the courses that I frequently play and I like them a lot. I'm not a great green reader, so it's helpful to have a reference that I can check that can tell me for sure which a putt is going to break, especially on longer putts with a more gradual slope where the break isn't totally obvious but you could end up way off line if you get it wrong (also good for putts with multiple breaks). I find that they're also pretty useful from the fairway just to remind yourself of the overall shape and slope of the green and where the easier recovery shorts are going to be in case you do miss (makes me think of how tour players are always thinking about the best spot to miss in order to have the easiest recovery shot in case they don't execute their shot to perfection).

As someone else mentioned, the books are pretty detailed and it will take you a little bit to learn how to use them quickly and effectively (you don't want to slow your game way down trying to figure things out), but once you do they're a definite help. There's also a coolness factor to the books, I can't help but feel a little bit like a pro when I use one and you will definitely get comments from your playing partners on what's that book you're using and where did you get it, etc.

The only real downside of the books is the price, $40 each for 18 holes ($30 for 9 and $50 for 27). I can't say it's an unreasonable price necessarily, but certainly not cheap. The books are (in my opinion) also slightly on the large side of you want to use a yardage book holder to protect the book (I had to slightly trim the front and back covers in order to slide it into my holder).

Anyway, I think the books are very cool and I'll probably buy more in the future, especially for bucket list type course where you really want to play your best.

I bought one to try on my home course, it is actually very detailed and shows why things break they way they do. I did this cause i wanted to compare to something i know the greens fairly well and like i said it was super nice, they are also USGA/R&A compliant.

I think 40 bucks is high but it gives more then yardages compared to the books you buy at a course for 7 bucks. I didnt like the phone idea so this is a great alternative. I am ordering 2 for my trip coming up to Myrtle and then i can tell you if they are really worth it.

• Like 1

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

• 3 weeks later...

I used mine for the first time yesterday at Springfield CC (Springfield, OH). It is a Donald Ross course with some wild greens - a lot of severe front to back, some false fronts, many holes where if you're above the hole you're screwed, etc. It was invaluable - particularly with placing approach shots. On the greens, I found the book to be extremely accurate - particularly on putts which looked straight - a quick check of the book would show a slight break one way or the other, which I found to be correct each time I used it.

Cobra Radspeed (10)

Cobra Radspeed Big Tour (14.5)

Cobra F8+ (19)

Cobra King Tec Hybrid (24)

Cobra Forged Tour (5-PW)

Cobra Black (50, 54)

Cobra Black Snakebite (58)

PING Heppler Fetch

Snell MTB Prime

• 2 months later...

I have one for my home course.  I agree with all posted above.  They are effective, but they are a bit spendy.  

Before purchasing, I did a 2 day trial of their app to get real time green reading at multiple locations, but found the digital interface a bit cumbersome, and the round scoring/statistics/Hole GPS features to be far inferior to Golfshot Pro.  It made my mind up to invest in the paper book for my local course.  I'm satisfied with my purchase.  

Ping G430 MAX 10K 9*, Ventus Black 6X
Ping G430 MAX 3W 15*, Ventus TR Red 7X
Ping G430 MAX 7W 21*, Ventus TR Blue 8X 

Ping i230 4i DG 120 S300

Ping Blueprint S, 5-PW DG 120 S300

Titleist Vokey SM9 50F, 54S, 58M

Odyssey Ai-One Jailbird Mini CH /or/ Tri Hot 5K Seven CH

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

After two years on my course, I’m still having trouble learning the greens (lots of very subtle breaks). Just the overall slope of the greens. I picked up the boom recently (discount brought it down to $28). Seems pretty accurate to me and really haven’t had any problem learning how to read it. 

There’s another brand out there called Green Slopes. I bought one when I joined a new club that’s got very subtly undulated greens and it’s made my first season there much more enjoyable. If it weren’t for the greens book I would’ve cycled through way more putters. They have tournament and non tournament conforming models of the books.  

https://greenslopesgolf.com

Stealth Plus+ 10.5* || Ventus Blue TR 7x

SIM2 Rescue 17* || Ventus Blue HB 8x

X-Forged UT 18* || MMT UT 105tx

TSi2 21* || Ventus Black HB 10tx

T100/620MB 5-9 || DG X7

SM9 47 || DG X7

SM9 51, 55, 59 || DG X1

BB8 Tri Wiz Cu Insert || BGT Stability Tour

Bettinardi BKS #1

I have the one from GolfLogix for my home course. I generally like it and find it to be accurate. My home course, though, has some very subtle breaks, sometimes what seems to be uphill. And there are some mythical “toward the creek” breaks that some of the caddies swear by. Basically there are some putts that break seemingly the wrong direction on the course. And that I can tell, the green book from GolfLogix misses these “uphill” breaks (ie the book also says it should break the way it looks). We also have some crazy slopes on our greens and the book picks most of them up, BUT there are two crazy fast putts on the course that just don’t look like they should be that fast. The book wouldn’t scream at you to beware this putt, but there must be some grain or bunker or creek or some effect that the book just can’t pick up. 

But, there are also a few holes with a spine where if you are a few inches on one side or the other of the spine, the putt breaks differently. The book does pick these up. 

All in all I’m glad I have it, but I guess I would say that for shorter putts you have to become a bit more precise than the book will allow you to be. 

17 minutes ago, LeftDaddy said:

I have the one from GolfLogix for my home course. I generally like it and find it to be accurate. My home course, though, has some very subtle breaks, sometimes what seems to be uphill. And there are some mythical “toward the creek” breaks that some of the caddies swear by. Basically there are some putts that break seemingly the wrong direction on the course. And that I can tell, the green book from GolfLogix misses these “uphill” breaks (ie the book also says it should break the way it looks). We also have some crazy slopes on our greens and the book picks most of them up, BUT there are two crazy fast putts on the course that just don’t look like they should be that fast. The book wouldn’t scream at you to beware this putt, but there must be some grain or bunker or creek or some effect that the book just can’t pick up. 

But, there are also a few holes with a spine where if you are a few inches on one side or the other of the spine, the putt breaks differently. The book does pick these up. 

All in all I’m glad I have it, but I guess I would say that for shorter putts you have to become a bit more precise than the book will allow you to be. 

Cool that you have caddies.  

• 1 month later...

Sort of a mixed review here.

Tried them on two separate courses, courtesy of my Pro's, who were comp'ed to assess them.  Overall, a solid and detailed book that is better than not having a yardage book, particularly for tournaments with limited practice round access.  For home courses, I found them less useful.

There's not enough granularity for the subtleties of a green.  These books do a great job on the obvious breaks but most players would find it redundant to what they see.  The above comment on the nuances of particular putts is dead on...you get a little stuck with the book on where your ball is specifically on a green vs. the cup.  So, it can be a little too much work to figure that break out and you lose time on reading the actual green.

I'd recommend trying one out and seeing if it can work for your personal green reading...I'd guess it's great for some, but less valuable to others.

PXG Gen4 0811 X w/Accra Dymatch 2.0
Cleveland  Launcher HB 15*
TaylorMade Stealth Plus hybrid, 23*
Cobra Forged Tec (2022) 5-GW
Edel SMS 54* and 58*
Ben Hogan BHM02 putter

Ping Hoofer

I have several of the GolfLogix books and found them very useful.  It all starts with the tee shots and seeing where the run outs are, cover yardages on certain lines, etc, was all great.  Like another posted mentioned, they are also a great help on approach shots.  I check where the pin is, then look at the green section of the book to see where my best putt would be from.  On the greens they are good for showing the bigger breaks, but they're not going to show you the half cup break.  All in all, I like them and as I play newer courses, I'll keep buying them.

That’s a good assessment: they won’t show you the half cup breaks.  I couldn’t put my finger on it, but that does it right there. 10 feet and in is the issue...you’re debating left edge or outside left and the book can’t solve that. 

• Like 1

PXG Gen4 0811 X w/Accra Dymatch 2.0
Cleveland  Launcher HB 15*
TaylorMade Stealth Plus hybrid, 23*
Cobra Forged Tec (2022) 5-GW
Edel SMS 54* and 58*
Ben Hogan BHM02 putter

Ping Hoofer

I got a Puttview book on order.  Seems very similar.  I understand the USGA limits the level of detail they can go to 3/8" = 5 yards.

Ping G410 Plus Driver, TaylorMade Aeroburner 3W, Cobra F6 Baffler 
Callaway 2015 XR 4, 5 hybrids

Titleist 2021 T300 6-P, 48W, 53W irons

Ping Zing Lob wedge
Axis1 Rose putter