Why do wedges sell so poorly on the BST?

Compared to the rest of my clubs, I treat my wedges like garbage.

I take divots. I rip ball after ball out of sandy, dirty lies with cr*ppy, dinged-up range balls. I throw my lob wedge when it misbehaves.

Therefore, I want to pay the LEAST for these clubs because I know I'll be ruining them the fastest.

And if you're a 3-wedge guy like me, you'll spend $500 on a fresh new set that fits your preferred specs. I'll be honest—I don't want to spend $500 on wedges in 5 YEARS, let alone every season.

So whenever I want a new wedge, I find myself shopping for deals like an absolute madman. $55-$65 is the sweet spot I like to hit, and although I rarely tick every box—fresh grooves, no dings, S400, nice grip—I can certainly pull off an adequate set for under $200.

I'm also a long-time BST ho, and I have a very good sense of what moves and what doesn't (and associated prices).

And unless wedges are dead s3xy, new(ish), and fairly expensive, they don't seem to move! I want to understand this because, frankly, I don't get it.

Why blow $500 on wedges? Heck, why spend $150 on one wedge?

Why not at least go for the < $80 price point where you can get almost everything except what's currently being marketed by the OEMs?

So what's your story? Do you buy wedges on the BST, or do you only buy them new? If you buy on the BST, do you only look for the hottest new sticks, or are you open to 2, 3, 4-year old wedges in perfect condition?

EVERYTHING else—drivers, fairways, iron sets, putters, shafts, training aids—moves so quickly on the BST, but if you post an ad for used wedges (even nearly-new ones), you just end up with tumbleweeds.

Help me understand this, fam!

Callaway Fusion 9º •• Matrix 75M4 X
TM 2016 M2 3HL 16.5º •• Aldila NV 2KXV Orange 65X
Callaway Apex 20º •• PX Evenflow Black 80HY X
Adams CMB 24º–46º •• DG TI S400
TM MG 50º •• PX LZ 5.5
Vokey SM5 54º/S •• DG S400
Vokey SM5 60º/K •• DG S400
TM Del Monte 35"

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

" I treat my wedges like garbage. I take divots. I rip ball after ball out of sandy, dirty lies with cr*ppy, dinged-up range balls. I throw my lob wedge when it misbehaves. "   i don't buy used wedges

I've bought 4 sets of wedges in the last few years, but still keep going back to my Ping Tour S Rustiques. I think buying used wedges is way to go too.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Aldila Quaranta Reg
Ping G410 3wd @ Flat setting Grafalloy Pro lite 3.5 Reg
Ping G410 7wd @ Flat setting Graffaloy Pro Lite 3.5 Reg
Ping G410 22 hybrid @ 21 flat Alta CB Reg
PXG 0211 5-PW Steelfiber i95 Reg
Cleveland Zipcore Raw 50* Mid, 54* Full @ 55, 58* Low @ 60 Hi Rev 2.0 Reg
Evnroll TR8 33"

Really uninterested in the price of new golf equipment, wedges up here are just embarrassing at $180+ each just for stock big box store offerings. I have no issues with buying older used wedges, I'm just more picky. I've found some solid conditioned '09 Vokey's in the $45 range and just picked up a Scratch wedge set for $100. Tho I now have like 5 wedge sets which I rotate for the hell of it, so things rarely wear out quickly. if this was my only hobby, sure, I'd spend more, but my interests are in other areas more. Hell, I just spent $2100 on a camera lens...

SM 3.5 Bag:

TM Sim 10.5* w/ Ventus Black 6x Velocore

TM Sim 14* w/ Kai'Li 80X

Titleist TS3 19* w/ T1100 S

Ping I210 4-UW w/ Rifle 6.5 SSx1

Ping Glide 2.0 54 SS & 58 TS

Odyssey Tank Cruiser 

hahaha funny you mention this cuz I cant get anyone to take the T20's I posted. basically 3 wedges for less than the price of 2 new ones. Been offered $80 less than what I listed them for

TM SIM Max 9* ... KBS TD 60 cat4

TM SIM 15* ... KBS TD 70 cat4

TM SIM UDI 18* ...KBS Prototype 95x

TM SIM Rescue 22* ... Diamana Thump 105x
Srixon Z Forged 5 - P ... Project X PXI 115 6.5

Vokey SM8 raw black 51, 55, 59

LowTide Custom Fin putter

" I treat my wedges like garbage. I take divots. I rip ball after ball out of sandy, dirty lies with cr*ppy, dinged-up range balls. I throw my lob wedge when it misbehaves. "

i don't buy used wedges because of THIS. i like greenside shots to react predictably and i only have 2 wedges, a 54 and 60 so i don't mind paying new every 2 years or so. i'd rather that than saving a few bucks and getting a beat up wedge with messed up grooves and wear that i can't rely on around the green. if it's a new wedge at a discount, then ok i don't mind.

• Like 3

EF Dr
EF 3W
X2Hot 19 Hybrid
Apex CF16 4-W
SM7 54, 60
Golo 3

I recently listed 2 sets of wedges, one for the price range you are saying is best (which I tend to agree with when I buy wedges) and one for almost new price in new condition. The lower set sold right away, and the new's are still available.

I think generally, for people that tend to buy a lot of golf clubs, spending that money on a new wedge with fresh grooves, when you only have to buy one or two at a time, isn't a bad buy so the need or want to shop for deals isn't as prevalent, but my experience here just last week speaks otherwise.

One reason is that there are a billion wedge loft and grind combinations and every golfer has a particular need, so your market is limited. If you want to sell a set of 52/56/60 degree wedges, you have to find a buyer who needs a set of 52/56/60 degree wedges. You'll find more buyers if you sell them individually, but still... that 60 degree in a Callaway C grind isn't very interesting to a guy who wants a 60 degree S grind.

Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero

Callaway Big Bertha Fusion 3 wood

Cobra F9 5 Wood

Srixon H45 4 hybrid

Srixon 565 5-AW

Ping Glide 3.0 54 deg.

Callaway PM Grind 60 deg.

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

I'm always buying in the used market, like mentioned above new wedges here are 199$ which is kinda mental to me. So I picked up my 60 from global golf in solid shape for 80, then got my 50 and 54 from the trade in bin at golf town, for 60 a piece with literally zero wear.

Callaway Rogue 9.5*

Cobra Baffler 16*

Ping G30 22*

TM R-11 5-PW

Mizuno MP-T5 50* 54*

PM Grind 60* 

Ping My Day 

Idk but sucks as I like to try things lol. I listed a callaway jaws 5 md5 54 brand new in plastic and an 60c thats been used 2 rounds for $220 and silence lol. Have some vokey sm8s Ill probably list soon and assuming silence too haha

I NEVER sell wedges as sets. Here's why:

• Getting one loft/grind combination is hard enough

• Getting TWO is a unicorn

I'm into moving stock—not sitting on it—so I always list each wedge individually.

I also think the point about "I don't want some dinged up thing" is ridiculous. Look at the pictures. If you can't determine whether or not a wedge is in the condition you seek, then you shouldn't be buying one.

I listed a callaway jaws 5 md5 54 brand new in plastic and an 60c thats been used 2 rounds for $220 and silence lol.

Break these up, and you'll sell both.

Callaway Fusion 9º •• Matrix 75M4 X
TM 2016 M2 3HL 16.5º •• Aldila NV 2KXV Orange 65X
Callaway Apex 20º •• PX Evenflow Black 80HY X
Adams CMB 24º–46º •• DG TI S400
TM MG 50º •• PX LZ 5.5
Vokey SM5 54º/S •• DG S400
Vokey SM5 60º/K •• DG S400
TM Del Monte 35"

Generally speaking, if I wanted used wedges, I typically have better luck going to second swing where I can go over the wedges with a fine tooth comb and ususally can find the loft/grind combo I need ( just not the colors) to make a set. As well as I can usually find wedges in pretty good shape only a few years old. Additionally if I need modifications I have them done there. I cant see why I would look at the BST over say 2nd swing unless someone posted something specific I was after.

As another mentioned, If I am looking for clubs that I am trying to be as precise as possible with, I would almost rather buy a few years old new, than someones 1 season old wedges

I look for deals in wedges. Prior generation or something somebody bought but decided to move on from. They have to be somewhat new for me. I also hate spending $500+ on wedges. My current SM7d I bought new but only because I won some stuff and PGA Superstore gave me store credit for them and I ended up paying a few bucks out of pocket.

Taylormade M3 440 10* Tensei White Pro 60TX
Taylormade M2 Tour 16.5* Atmos Blue 7x
Taylormade M2 L.I.F.T. 2 KBS Hybrid Proto 85x
Miura CB57 Nippon SPB X
Vokey CF 52F/56M/60M S400 Onyx
Cameron Cami & Co Newport Beach 34/350

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/80141-ckays-witb-duw-update-on-pg-3/page__st__60__p__7710766__hl__+ckay#entry7710766"]WITB Link[/url]

always buy wedges USED but very close to mint i have gotten almost NEW sets for under 150... i got a set of original milled grind wedges 2 days ago off ebay for 125... pics looked legit brand new. I live in canada spending 220 a wedge with all stock shafts cant afford it.... also i still messing around with what bounces i like so getting a good deal i can normally tinker without eating a huge loss