i500 Iron Questions

pfw19

I played these for a bit. Nice clubs, but make sure your fitting is good. You can’t necessarily just slap your usual shaft into these.

I fight spin with the irons and have “flexed up” for years to create better launch conditions. Although my swing speed doesn’t necessarily justify x-stiff shafts in the irons, I hit the stouter shafts significantly father (1-2 clubs in some cases) because of the spin reduction.

These heads already reduce spin, so if your reduce it even further with the shaft, you can create some very high launching, very low spin iron shots that are hard to control. My knock down 8 iron from 165 to a front pin that flew the green was the shot that ended the i500’s time in my bag, but it was all about the poor fit - not the club. Shaft and head combination took too much spin off. In hindsight, a softer/spinner shaft would have been great for me in these.

They are great irons with the right set up. Great looks, feel, and easy distance.

I have these and i210s. Same exact set up across the board. I usually default back to the i500s. There is a lot of dislike for these irons on WRX but what I have found is if they work for your game, they are really hard to beat. Looks are on point with the best irons out there. Feel on well struck shots is the most powerful I have experienced. Thin shots are the worst I have experienced. Launch is so good and these are some of the easiest irons to elevate. My biggest issue with i500s is I think the technology is lacking for the short irons. For some reason I have gapping issues in the PW and UW where those irons are considerably shorter the the 9 so I just went with Glides.

I can just answer your question about the long Irons.

Replaced my 3 AND 4 Irons in the bag with a i500 4 iron, std loft. It flies High and likes to go straight, goes about the same distance as my ols s55 3 iron but with a higher trajectory and a lot easier to hit, i just choke down on it a little if i want to take some distance off and hit what would be my 4 iron distance.

• Like 1

I have gamed them since their release, moving away from the S55s as I no longer practice or play as often. I'm a weekend 12 HC.

I have u-4i in power loft configuration, 17 deg G400 hybrid, 13 deg G400 3W, and 8 deg G400 LST driver. I have 56 and 60 degree glide 3.0 wedges.

I had a trackman fit 3-4 years ago and my swing speed was between 99-104mph throughout the bag.

There's a lot of distance overlap on the bottom end from U-7i. Overlap isn't a bad thing--it gives you a lot of trajectory options and there have been times where I've hit a 150 yard 9i, but certainly not often. 6i to 4i is really where you see the separation. My 7i distance is similar to yours at 160-165 where my very different S55 (w/kbs tour stiff capers) in standard loft get 145-155. For me personally, 7i/6i is where I notice full swing meets normal swing in distance. Then there seems to be 10-15 yard gap between 6i/5i/4i. My drives average roughly 270ish so I don't get to play my longer irons very often. I've only recently moved up a few tees so I can lead off with hybrid/3w/long iron for more play. Quite honestly nothing compares to the dispersion and consistency in my S55s, but the i500s are simply longer (for obvious reasons) and so so so much more fun to play. That extra club or club and a half of distance just makes the course so much fun and that's really hard to give up.Yes. I love my i500s and while I'm looking at the Titleist T200s, I'll likely keep the i500s in the bag.

• Like 1

I've done several fitting sessions in the past 5 months - tried so many different irons. The Mavrik Pro won the day, but the i500 was a strong second for me. I have a very high opinion of the i500 and would definitely recommend anyone to try them out. A very sharp club and a standout in its crowded category.

• Like 1

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus, Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6X. (Fit by Truespec North Georgia 2023)

3W: Taylormade Sim Max, Accra FX 2.0 200 M3. (Fit by Club Champion Atlanta 2019)

3I-PW: Callaway Rogue ST Pro, Fujikura Axiom 105X. (Self-fit 2023)

Wedges: 47, 51, 59 Edison Forged, Mitsubishi MMT 125 TX. (Self-fit 2021)

Putter: LAB Golf DF 2.1 (Self-fit 2022)

Ball: Chromesoft X (Fit by Ping's Ballnamic system).

Bag: MNML.

Cart: Foresight Sports ForeCaddy Smart Cart.

Shoes: Asics Gel Kayano Ace.

I love these irons!

Moved away from a combo set of iBlade & i200 to these. I ordered 5 - PW and also Glide Forged 50, 54 & 58 all to match in (same set serial number) With Modus 105 stiff (same as my previous irons). They just work for me, all the way through the set - never even thought of any issue with gapping.

I understand that some people don’t like the off centre feel but fortunately I tend to hit it in the middle of the club the majority of the time so it’s not really an issue - plus if I do miss it a bit the feedback is good and the performance drop off is minimal. I have pro soft inserts in all my irons and maybe this helps the feel, don’t know as I didn’t try the set in play without them.

I added a Crossover G410 4 iron that was strengthened 2 degrees and shortened to match the set - it’s got a Tensei blue in it which is great and matches in perfectly with just a bit more height if needed.

• Like 1

Got fitted for mine in March. Playing 2-3 rounds a week. All of what I'm about to say is my own experience and varies tremendously from other posters. But it's my swing and that's how it all seems to work.

Previous set was i15. 125y PW thru 180y 4i. 7i was about 155. I have a 50* glide that was about 100 yards for me. I'm a wristy picker and tend to lose a lot of distance in height.

My new i500s were fitted with c-tapers in a further attempt to bring my flight down. Quite successfully. My current numbers since the fitting, along with the i15 numbers for comparison. i500 gamer/prev i15s.

PW- 125/125

9i- 140/135

8i - 155/145

7i- 165/155

6i- 180/160

5i-190/170

4i - 210/180

So now because of the low end I've completely switched up my wedges. Bought a 48* Sub 70 (110 yards) and a 54* Haywood (80 yards). Still rocking my bunker bomb Ping Tour 60*.

These irons have been great for me. The feel, IMO, is deadened on the miss hits. Solid hits feel great, off center hits feel deadish? The sound has no impact on me. I really never noticed the sound of these until I was closing at Topgolf one night and let a scratch guy hit a few shots. With the music off, dead silence, and a concrete echo chamber we both noticed a hybrid-ish sound as he caught center grooves sending flighted balls to the 150 target. In the end, nothing to worry about. Although, I've said before, the biggest noise complaint came from walking with the bag on my back. Really sounds like you're juggling nickles down the fairway.

• Like 1

I play the I500 irons from 4-UW and have been very happy with them. My gapping is pretty good, except for about a 20 yard difference between 4 and 5 iron. Everything else down to 8 iron is about 10-12 yards difference. I think the larger gap with 4/5 irons has more to do with the increase in downhill vs uphill shots on my course with those clubs (all of my distances tracked by Arccos tags). I have never noticed the feel as an issue, and I was coming from Hogan forged when I bought these. I mostly walk when I play but have them on a push cart and really haven’t notice any noise issues there either like 4x4GGG. Sounds like most players either love or hate these with regards to feel, but I have enjoyed the clubs thoroughly since I have had them.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond
PXG 0211 (15)

PXG 0211 (19)
PXG Gen 6 0311P 5-AW
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54, 58
Seemore Mini Giant DF

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update here. Really starting to enjoy these irons. Have 36 with them now and a couple practice sessions. Well struck shots feel powerful and misses feel like crap. More forgiving and longer than JPX 900 with different (worse) feel. What is really impressive is that the wedges and mid irons aren’t really juiced, the gaps are consistent throughout the set. The 4 & 5 are really forgiving. Also, I got the g410 hybrid which has been awesome as well.

• 9 months later...

I have a set of i500 irons I have used on and off for the last few seasons.  The other day I decided to take the screw out and noticed there is actually a rubber type fill inside ( I would compare it to a shoe goe).  I thought perhaps it was a glue to help hold the screw but this rubbery compound is in the whole head.   I always thought the heads were hollow.  I did get this back direct from Ping after they replaced a few irons with a stress on the weld line.  Wonder if this is why these always sounded better than the first set I had???